PDA

View Full Version : Debunking Gasland

soonerbrat
2/11/2011, 12:26 PM
here ya go. have fun.

http://www.energyindepth.org/2010/06/debunking-gasland/

OUMallen
2/11/2011, 12:52 PM
I am completely ashamed it got an Oscar nomination. But then again, I can't say I'm surprised- Hollywood votes on the noms.

2121Sooner
2/11/2011, 01:02 PM
Fun?

You are one twisted individual.

mgsooner
2/11/2011, 01:05 PM
I've seen parts of it, never watched the whole thing. I don't know a lot about the issue. I'm not taking sides, I just have a question. If you can light your tap water on fire, isn't that kind of bad?

NormanPride
2/11/2011, 01:11 PM
Maybe, but if it doesn't have anything to do with the drilling, then what's the point of bringing it up?

mgsooner
2/11/2011, 01:13 PM
Maybe, but if it doesn't have anything to do with the drilling, then what's the point of bringing it up?

If it doesn't have to do with the drilling, what does it have to do with?

Again, I'm not trying to take sides, I'm just asking because I have no idea.

okie52
2/11/2011, 01:13 PM
Never saw it. It doesn't deal with drilling and/or fracking?

NormanPride
2/11/2011, 01:17 PM
If it doesn't have to do with the drilling, what does it have to do with?

Again, I'm not trying to take sides, I'm just asking because I have no idea.

I think it was just naturally occurring.

soonerbrat
2/11/2011, 01:35 PM
I've seen parts of it, never watched the whole thing. I don't know a lot about the issue. I'm not taking sides, I just have a question. If you can light your tap water on fire, isn't that kind of bad?

yes. the people that lit their tapwater on fire had drilled their water well into a gas deposit. it had nothing to do with the fracking of the well as the author implied. Maybe if you read some of the stuff in the link that I posted, you'd know more about the issue.

soonerbrat
2/11/2011, 01:36 PM

this is correct.

soonerbrat
2/11/2011, 01:37 PM
Fun?

You are one twisted individual.

yes, but what does that have to do with anything?

I meant have fun debating. You guys love political debates.

OUMallen
2/11/2011, 01:43 PM

Methane occurs naturally in many groundwater formations. Drilling and fracking had absolutely nothing to do with it.

I argue with the anti-frack crowd on a somewhat regular basis.

FACT: there has never been an EPA-reported instance of fracking impacting ANY groundwater, EVER>

You know what happens when you tell those loons that? "You believe the EPA?!?!? You poor, poor ignorant man."

I'm serious. You give them facts. They lose their minds. I bet they're rational at work and what not. But on this issue, it's like Jenny McCarthy and vaccinations.

okie52
2/11/2011, 01:59 PM
Methane occurs naturally in many groundwater formations. Drilling and fracking had absolutely nothing to do with it.

I argue with the anti-frack crowd on a somewhat regular basis.

FACT: there has never been an EPA-reported instance of fracking impacting ANY groundwater, EVER>

You know what happens when you tell those loons that? "You believe the EPA?!?!? You poor, poor ignorant man."

I'm serious. You give them facts. They lose their minds. I bet they're rational at work and what not. But on this issue, it's like Jenny McCarthy and vaccinations.

Many oil producing states provided Obama and Waxman, et al, with letters stating just that...that in the 60 years of fracking there has never been 1 instance of Ground water contamination by a frac. Even Brad Henry got into the act although it is amazing he didn't see this coming when he, Askins, and Boren all endorsed Obama for prez.

mgsooner
2/11/2011, 02:02 PM
Thanks for the information. Particularly to those who provided it without getting pissy.

soonerbrat
2/11/2011, 02:18 PM
Thanks for the information. Particularly to those who provided it without getting pissy.

who got pissy?

KantoSooner
2/11/2011, 03:08 PM
When you boil the argument down you come up with a couple of key points:

1. the oil and gas industries are big, and privately owned. Therefore they are evil.

2. the oil and gas industries are largely speaking profitable. Therefore they are evil.

3. the oil and gas industries utilize technology in extracting their products. Technology can be hard to understand and is often a matter of judgement rather than 100% certainties. Since certainty can not be guaranteed, the industry wishing to use it must be evil.

4. Oil industry executives oftentimes make more money than Hollywood actors, rock stars and news readers. They are therefore evil.

5. I hate paying for my gasoline and heat and AC. Everyone involved in providing them to me is therefore evil.

6. Energy should be provided for free by waving a wand and intoning words in a forgotten Mayan dialect. Those people opposing this are evil.

7. Things are not going my way and the world won't obey me. Therefore the oil and gas industries are evil.

Pretty much encapsulate the gasland argument? Debate is one thing. Verbal communication with people who refuse to a) take anytime whatsoever to understand the technical aspects of that which they pontificate upon and, b) accept that there might be differences of opinion without either 'side' being basely motivated, are not debates.

okie52
2/11/2011, 03:11 PM

1. the oil and gas industries are big, and privately owned. Therefore they are evil.

2. the oil and gas industries are largely speaking profitable. Therefore they are evil.

3. the oil and gas industries utilize technology in extracting their products. Technology can be hard to understand and is often a matter of judgement rather than 100% certainties. Since certainty can not be guaranteed, the industry wishing to use it must be evil.

4. Oil industry executives oftentimes make more money than Hollywood actors, rock stars and news readers. They are therefore evil.

5. I hate paying for my gasoline and heat and AC. Everyone involved in providing them to me is therefore evil.

6. Energy should be provided for free by waving a wand and intoning words in a forgotten Mayan dialect. Those people opposing this are evil.

7. Things are not going my way and the world won't obey me. Therefore the oil and gas industries are evil.

Pretty much encapsulate the gasland argument? Debate is one thing. Verbal communication with people who refuse to a) take anytime whatsoever to understand the technical aspects of that which they pontificate upon and, b) accept that there might be differences of opinion without either 'side' being basely motivated, are not debates.

And, above all, them dang oilies give money to the pubs.

OUMallen
2/11/2011, 03:34 PM

Great post.

My Opinion Matters
2/11/2011, 03:54 PM
Heh. Well, now I know who works in the oil and gas industry on this board.

okie52
2/11/2011, 04:05 PM
Obviously by the informed responses.

My Opinion Matters
2/11/2011, 04:23 PM
I for one can say I have no hesitation in accepting information from a website run by the American Petroleum Institute regarding the controversial and clandestine extraction methods of its product as anything but unbiased and empirical.

mgsooner
2/11/2011, 04:24 PM
Like most things I have a feeling the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle.

OUMallen
2/11/2011, 04:27 PM
Like most things I have a feeling the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle.

It doesn't on this one. Waaaaay closer to the industry's side.

okie52
2/11/2011, 04:28 PM
I for one can say I have no hesitation in accepting information from a website run by the American Petroleum Institute regarding the controversial and clandestine extraction methods of its product as anything but unbiased and empirical.

Or you could just believe the "documentary" as fact.

My Opinion Matters
2/11/2011, 04:29 PM

I would agree with you, but you didn't even read most of the stuff in the link.

My Opinion Matters
2/11/2011, 04:31 PM
Or you could just believe the "documentary" as fact.

What the guy who didn't even read most of the stuff in the link said.

okie52
2/11/2011, 04:55 PM
I am biased having worked in OK, TX, AR and KS over the last 40 years in oil and gas. Never heard of one single contamination in that time due to fracking.

Now maybe there is something new in PA that I am unaware of. Surely the PA authorities would have sounded the alarm and had substantial proof of such contamination in the many wells that have now been drilled there as well as in NY, WV and KY.

Until I see proof I will probably tend to rely on my OK experience with regard to fracking.

texaspokieokie
2/11/2011, 05:14 PM
if fracking was as bad as "gasland" would have you believe, all of OK would be on fire.

OUMallen
2/11/2011, 05:17 PM
if fracking was as bad as "gasland" would have you believe, all of OK would be on fire.

Exactly. Everyone living in McAlester would be all mutated and dumb and ugly.....well.... :confused:

mgsooner
2/11/2011, 05:20 PM
Exactly. Everyone living in McAlester would be all mutated and dumb and ugly.....well.... :confused:

lol nice

kbsooner21
2/11/2011, 05:29 PM

STEP in 3,2,1 :D