PDA

View Full Version : T. Lewis: We're No. 1

OK2U
2/11/2011, 11:48 AM
http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2011-02-11/travis-lewis-oklahoma-deserves-to-be-preseason-no-1

Travis Lewis: Oklahoma deserves to be preseason No. 1

Count Oklahoma’s Travis Lewis among those who are convinced Oklahoma enters the spring with college football’s (http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2011-02-11/travis-lewis-oklahoma-deserves-to-be-preseason-no-1#) top program.
Lewis, a fifth-year senior linebacker, said his team has the tools to win the Sooners’ first national championship since the 2001 Orange Bowl. He said he’s not surprised, then, that some media outlets have listed OU as their early preseason No. 1 team.

“I think it’s deserved,” Lewis told Sporting News in a telephone interview. “Everybody is back. We have nine guys returning on offense, seven or eight on defense. The nucleus of the team is still here.”

The decisions of Lewis and star receiver Ryan Broyles to turn down the NFL (http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2011-02-11/travis-lewis-oklahoma-deserves-to-be-preseason-no-1#) and return for their senior seasons bolstered Oklahoma beyond Big 12 favorite and toward national championship contention. Lewis knows championship-caliber teams, having won conference Defensive Freshman of the Year honors for the 2007 Sooners, who played for the national title. Oklahoma also won the last season’s Big 12 crown, then drubbed Connecticut in the Fiesta Bowl.

OU sits No. 2 in Sporting News’ updated Top 25 for 2011. Spring football starts March 21, and Oklahoma is scheduled to open the season Sept. 3 versus Tulsa.

OUster
2/11/2011, 11:57 AM
I hope it translates to working his *** off to make sure it happens.

badger
2/11/2011, 12:08 PM
Oklahoma is scheduled to open the season Sept. 3 versus Tulsa.

Kill Tulsa, my current city of residence. Crush it under the weight of 14 inches of snow in one storm. Freeze it to death with subzero wind chills and subzero temperatures. Strand it's offense by never plowing routes to their endzone. Block their defense behind a massive pile of dirty salted and oil slushed snow/ice/slush.

DOWN WITH TULSA! :mad:

:P

texaspokieokie
2/11/2011, 12:11 PM
I hope it translates to working his *** off to make sure it happens.

i don't think it works that way.

texaspokieokie
2/11/2011, 12:12 PM
[QUOTE=badger;3144469]Kill Tulsa, my current city of residence. Crush it under the weight of 14 inches of snow in one storm. Freeze it to death with subzero wind chills and subzero temperatures. Strand it's offense by never plowing routes to their endzone. Block their defense behind a massive pile of dirty salted and oil slushed snow/ice/slush.

DOWN WITH TULSA! :mad:

missing the frozen tundra of dear old WI ???

MyT Oklahoma
2/11/2011, 01:47 PM
I don't like being the preseason Number One but then it's not like the Sooner's aren't in everybody's cross hairs every year anyway.

I just hope that our players and coaches don't believe everything written about them between now and September. That would be our (the fans) job. :D

jumperstop
2/11/2011, 01:49 PM
I don't like being the preseason Number One but then it's not like the Sooner's aren't in everybody's cross hairs every year anyway.

I just hope that our players and coaches don't believe everything written about them between now and September. That would be our (the fans) job. :D

Lewis seems to do pleanty of reading...he was the one who was saying we came in too confident against Utah State and we haven't proved anything. Hopefully they won't be overconfident come next season.

MR2-Sooner86
2/11/2011, 01:53 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_FALdZqN6DRU/SwvfUgMPvpI/AAAAAAAAJ_8/EvlN4bh4jEw/s1600/morpheus.jpg

Show me.

Chiliman
2/11/2011, 02:01 PM
Sometimes I think Travis should exercise some humility.

NormanPride
2/11/2011, 02:08 PM
He's a vocal leader and I think the other players like him well enough. He's a good face for the program because he's confident but not an ***. Though, I really hope he learned this year that his talent alone isn't going to get him into the NFL - he needs to work his butt off at getting better.

Soonermagik
2/11/2011, 02:09 PM

^^ This!! I've personally met him and he talked about himself in third person the whole time.:rolleyes: He's got talent, but he needs to not get ahead of himself. Being ranked preseason #1 means nothing. All it means is you will get the best of every team you play.

jumperstop
2/11/2011, 02:12 PM
^^ This!! I've personally met him and he talked about himself in third person the whole time.:rolleyes: He's got talent, but he needs to not get ahead of himself. Being ranked preseason #1 means nothing. All it means is you will get the best of every team you play.

Agreed

Quik Sand
2/11/2011, 03:41 PM
We will get everyone's best game whether we are number one or top 5 when we come in. I have no problem if a player shows confidence in his or his team's abilities, just a fine line between being confident and being cocky.

CBUS_SOONER
2/11/2011, 04:00 PM

I agree also... Seems like a lil too much hype... Also I think our schedule is brutal next yr. imho

badger
2/11/2011, 04:00 PM
he talked about himself in third person the whole time.:rolleyes:

I have his nickname guys: The Rock.

I was trying to think of who he reminded me of, and till you mentioned this, I couldn't put my finger on it: The Rock.

The Rock, a pro wrestler who now is an actor that goes by his real name, Dwayne Johnson, always had promos were he was like "The Rock says this!" and "If you smell what The Rock is cookin!"

Just like The Rock, everyone listens when Travis Lewis talks because he's so good at it. Forget this T-Lew stuff. He's now The Rock.

madillsoonerfan5353
2/11/2011, 04:17 PM
I agree also... Seems like a lil too much hype... Also I think our schedule is brutal next yr. imho

If by brutal you mean a road trip to Tallahassee and Stoolwater. Than yeah it brutal. FSU does not scare me one bit, they are breaking in a new qb, I know he did start some and was the one that threw a td pass against us. The game was well in hand by that time. A trip to Stoolwater scares me as much as a trip to Waco, maybe less. This is same old (Weeden:D ) team that is always up there. Maybe a good offense and the same swiss cheese d. IF we show up to every game and play the way we can, we should roll right to the Big Easy for the Allstate NC game. We get aTm and mizzOU at home. I'm not saying we are unbeatable, but barring injury and not showing up we should roll. JMHO THE ROCK just need to be the leader like he likes to talk like he is and LEAD this young team by example!!!

:gary:

OUEngr1990
2/11/2011, 04:21 PM
I'm with everyone else. The #1 preseason label is like a curse. Just as bad as an SI cover, or Heisman trophy. No one will remember who was preseason #1, they'll only remember who ended the season at #1.

CBUS_SOONER
2/11/2011, 04:25 PM
If we show up every game????? That is the question. We have laid some eggs against inferior opponents and own the road... FSU on the road, at night, after what happened last yr, and after another yr under Fisher should scare the hell out of people. That game will be a war and could go either way.

silverwheels
2/11/2011, 04:27 PM
The 2007 Sooners did not play for the national title.

sooner94
2/11/2011, 04:33 PM

Gotta love internet "sports writers."

KantoSooner
2/11/2011, 04:38 PM
Right now, I don't give a rat's what T-Lew is doing other than eating his wheaties and pumping iron like a Russian Mafia Enforcer.

Come August and onwards, I kind of favor the effect that silence, along with a little smile and maybe a wink, creates in the minds of the enemy.

madillsoonerfan5353
2/11/2011, 04:44 PM
If we show up every game????? That is the question. We have laid some eggs against inferior opponents and own the road... FSU on the road, at night, after what happened last yr, and after another yr under Fisher should scare the hell out of people. That game will be a war and could go either way.

Not trying to argue with you, but what I seen last year was a team grow up that last couple weeks of the season. This team went on the road to Waco, against a running qb(which gives our d fits) more times then not, and crushed the bear. The next week we went to Stoolwater and battled to the end with the Greatest Offense ever. [hairGel] We did what we had to do to win, was it pretty no, but we won. Then we go to Jerryworld and get down 17-0 in the first half to a pretty good d. Then this team gives up 3 points the second half to win a CHAMPIONSHIP. Then we go out to Arizona and beat Uconn pretty badly, did we have some brain farts yep. Did we over come them? HELL YEAH. This team is mature beyond it's year. We have core leaders in place that know what it takes. We have a QB that is 2-0 in bowl game, one being a BCS bowl, and 1-0 against *saxet* as a starter. What other SOONER qb in the past decade can say that? I think we have the core to be GREAT in 2011, like I said in the post about our OCS the big one can line up and little ones can bunch up. Bring on all comers. BOOMER

Mike Stoops
2/11/2011, 04:51 PM
Not trying to argue with you, but what I seen last year was a team grow up that last couple weeks of the season. This team went on the road to Waco, against a running qb(which gives our d fits) more times then not, and crushed the bear. The next week we went to Stoolwater and battled to the end with the Greatest Offense ever. [hairGel] We did what we had to do to win, was it pretty no, but we won. Then we go to Jerryworld and get down 17-0 in the first half to a pretty good d. Then this team gives up 3 points the second half to win a CHAMPIONSHIP. Then we go out to Arizona and beat Uconn pretty badly, did we have some brain farts yep. Did we over come them? HELL YEAH. This team is mature beyond it's year. We have core leaders in place that know what it takes. We have a QB that is 2-0 in bowl game, one being a BCS bowl, and 1-0 against *saxet* as a starter. What other SOONER qb in the past decade can say that? I think we have the core to be GREAT in 2011, like I said in the post about our OCS the big one can line up and little ones can bunch up. Bring on all comers. BOOMER

Good points. Landry in particular really grew up last year. I remember before the Big 12 game vs. Nebraska all the analysts and sportswriters were saying that the great Bo Pelini secondary would shut down our passing attack. Well, Landry came up big when it counted in a great comeback win. Wins like that build character.

ouduckhunter
2/11/2011, 04:56 PM
Don't drink the Kool Aid, TLew!! Just play hard and make it happen!

madillsoonerfan5353
2/11/2011, 05:14 PM
Good points. Landry in particular really grew up last year. I remember before the Big 12 game vs. Nebraska all the analysts and sportswriters were saying that the great Bo Pelini secondary would shut down our passing attack. Well, Landry came up big when it counted in a great comeback win. Wins like that build character.

Yep. Prince A. was gonna eat OUr WR up, what i seen from the 35 yard line in Jerryworld was Cam Kenney coming up with clutch catch after clutch catch. Landry is the real deal. Everyone wants to point to the Safties as OUr weakness. Mr. Proctor, if I remember right started the whole season two years ago, and we have guys who have played that can step in and play. I agree The Rock:D needs to play and not sip the Kool Aid like I am. :D

TahoeSOONER
2/11/2011, 05:21 PM
I got much love for Travis, no homo, but preseason #1 doesn't mean jack ****.

Once again we're set up for that special run at #8 but this preseason hype is just that, hype.

madillsoonerfan5353
2/11/2011, 05:25 PM
I got much love for Travis, no homo, but preseason #1 doesn't mean jack ****.

Once again we're set up for that special run at #8 but this preseason hype is just that, hype.

Right ON!

KantoSooner
2/11/2011, 05:26 PM
Here's what I think:

1. Our D is a credible inner line away from being dominating. And we have candidates who very well might step up and surprise on the good side.

2. Our O needs a bit more run and bit more TE play to be complete. And that, too, seems to be being addressed by Bob.

We catch a break on those little things and we're in for a great fall.

cleller
2/11/2011, 05:37 PM
As long as we eliminate our opponents ability to score points, I think 2011 could be a very special season.

Soonermagik
2/12/2011, 09:04 AM
I have his nickname guys: The Rock.

I was trying to think of who he reminded me of, and till you mentioned this, I couldn't put my finger on it: The Rock.

The Rock, a pro wrestler who now is an actor that goes by his real name, Dwayne Johnson, always had promos were he was like "The Rock says this!" and "If you smell what The Rock is cookin!"

Just like The Rock, everyone listens when Travis Lewis talks because he's so good at it. Forget this T-Lew stuff. He's now The Rock.

HAHA The Rock is a fitting nickname.:D

texaspokieokie
2/12/2011, 09:08 AM
just like Rock Hudson.

CBUS_SOONER
2/12/2011, 09:53 AM

^all good points indeed... I do agree with you... I will proceed with caution... We have college kids being told how great they are gonna be... and they r gonna hear it for a very long time. I hope Coach Stoops will motivate the boys over the next few months

badger
2/12/2011, 09:58 AM
HAHA The Rock is a fitting nickname.:D

Nothing says defense like a rock and a hammer :P

MamaMia
2/12/2011, 11:08 AM

Agreed

I agree also... Seems like a lil too much hype... Also I think our schedule is brutal next yr. imho All he said was “I think it’s deserved,” Lewis told Sporting News in a telephone interview. “Everybody is back. We have nine guys returning on offense, seven or eight on defense. The nucleus of the team is still here.”

Makes sense too me. I didn't think what he said came off as arrogant. Stoops has basically made the same statement about how strong we will be with so many players returning.

cccasooner2
2/12/2011, 11:12 AM
just like Rock Hudson.

Right ON! :D

Whet
2/12/2011, 11:13 AM
just like Rock Hudson.

Born in Indiana,
Reared in California

texaspokieokie
2/12/2011, 12:35 PM
Nothing says defense like a rock and a hammer :P

what did Kieth Jackson do to win XXXI ??

yermom
2/12/2011, 12:51 PM
The Rock was a 'Cane

ugh.

that stuck out to me as well

Leroy Lizard
2/12/2011, 05:10 PM
Frankly, I thought Travis' comments were pretty vanilla and un-newsworthy.

yermom
2/12/2011, 05:12 PM
Water is wet.

:D

Blue
2/12/2011, 07:33 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_FALdZqN6DRU/SwvfUgMPvpI/AAAAAAAAJ_8/EvlN4bh4jEw/s1600/morpheus.jpg

Show me.

THIS^^

I'd like to hear JKMs take. we know how much he loves T Lewis. :D