PDA

View Full Version : The Greatest Player that Never Was

Soonerson1975
2/11/2011, 10:39 AM
Buzz Bissinger article on Dupree

http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2011-02-10/the-greatest-football-player-that-never-was/

sooner518
2/11/2011, 10:50 AM
Bissinger is such an assclown:

Because of Oklahoma Coach Barry Switzer, who after willfully destroying the very essence of Marcus Dupree, now leans back in his oversize chair in his tricked-out study and admits with a ****-eating little smirk that his greatest regret in coaching was the handling of Marcus Dupree. Which nearly 30 years later is not only absolutely meaningless but amoral.

Switzer congratulated the effort by publicly criticizing Dupree for being out of shape because he was caught twice from behind. He said the kid should have gained 400 yards.

I guess Bissinger didnt watch the part of the documentary when Dupree agreed and said he should have had 400 yards!

olevetonahill
2/11/2011, 11:02 AM
Did the "KING" **** that dudes old lady? Pizz in his post Toasties?
Dayum that article was more about how Terrible BS was than how good MD could have been .:rolleyes:

Soonerson1975
2/11/2011, 11:05 AM
I'm shocked he didn't blame Switzer for Boobie Miles' injury.

GDC
2/11/2011, 11:08 AM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_mmBw3uzPnJI/SrkjJxByy4I/AAAAAAAAwvY/0XA6imjG4hs/s400/jocelyn_wildenstein_16.jpghttp://www.tdbimg.com/files/2010/12/13/img-author-photo---buzz-bissinger_011310427333.jpg

sooner518
2/11/2011, 11:11 AM
one of the funniest internet videos is watching Bissinger yell at Will Leitch, former editor of Deadspin on HBO's Bob Costas show a couple years back. Bissinger just sounds like a crabby, bitchy, profane old man, 20 years out of touch with reality. He's a newspaper dinosaur and he'll be gone soon enough

GDC
2/11/2011, 11:15 AM
http://fastcache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/11/2008/08/buzz_plaque.jpg

KantoSooner
2/11/2011, 11:38 AM
OOOOOOOOOO, Barry's team was 'out of control' and 'running amok', 'terrorizing the campus'.

Boooooooo, Barry ruined Marcus Dupree by being too hard on and micromanaging.

What is wrong with this picture? Barry probably could have handled Dupree better. Dupree could have done a bit of running and visited the weight room on occaision. Barry did not 'ruin' Dupree. Dupree ruined Dupree.

Oh, and I want to disassociate myself with the photo immediately above. I'm not even sure what that is other than a cautionary note about cut rate plastic surgery.

Mike Stoops
2/11/2011, 02:16 PM
You guys should check out Buzz's twitter page. Dude has got some serious emotional issues. Stuff like making death threats against people who disagree with him on SPORTS issues.

Soonerson1975
2/11/2011, 02:21 PM
I guess all that time in Odessa in the late 80's really messed him up.

Mike Stoops
2/11/2011, 02:29 PM
I guess all that time in Odessa in the late 80's really messed him up.

I'm not even exaggerating. The guy's a multimillionaire and Pulitzer Prize winner but acts like foaming at the mouth nutjob. Can't take any criticism at all.

Soonerson1975
2/11/2011, 02:40 PM
buzzbissinger buzzbissinger
One Caveat on Daily Beast piece--Anybody who supports Barry Switzer major ******juice. His conduct disgraceful. Big Surprise.

He tweeted that

UncleFester
2/11/2011, 03:09 PM
Buzz must not have paid very close attention to the documentary. For the real villain in the piece was Ken Fairley. He's the one who egged on Dupree's unhappiness with OU's coaches. He's the one who persuaded him to come back home to play for a two-bit school out of the national spotlight, and he's the one who lost all Dupree's money. Barry may have hurt his feelings, but it was Barry giving him the opportunity to earn rings, win Heisman trophys, and eventually cash a pro football check that wouldn't bounce.

Mike Stoops
2/11/2011, 03:13 PM
The Switzer haters can't have it both ways. For years his critics said he was this laid-back, back-slapping moron who let his assistants do the actual coaching but after this Dupree film came out he's this mean micromanager who was too hard on poor Marcus. If you're not an OU fan then you probably hate Switzer. It's always been that way. Barry doesn't care and neither do I. Screw Buzz Bissenger.

sooner518
2/11/2011, 03:16 PM
buzzbissinger buzzbissinger
One Caveat on Daily Beast piece--Anybody who supports Barry Switzer major ******juice. His conduct disgraceful. Big Surprise.

He tweeted that

this tweet could certainly use a verb or 3. this guy's a writer?

ashley
2/11/2011, 03:59 PM
If he had been a real player he would have stayed. Potential and dollar nine will get you a coke at Mc Donalds.

boomermagic
2/11/2011, 04:13 PM
The Switzer haters can't have it both ways. For years his critics said he was this laid-back, back-slapping moron who let his assistants do the actual coaching but after this Dupree film came out he's this mean micromanager who was too hard on poor Marcus. If you're not an OU fan then you probably hate Switzer. It's always been that way. Barry doesn't care and neither do I. Screw Buzz Bissenger.

Great post and I totally agree !

Mike Stoops
2/11/2011, 04:35 PM
Hell, Switzer himself has said numerous times that the biggest regret in his coaching career was his handling of the Dupree situation but these media hypocrites only see what they wanna see. Every story needs a villain and unless you're a Sooner fan Switzer makes a great villain.

boomermagic
2/11/2011, 05:00 PM
Marcus posted the article on FB. and here is what he said there..

Marcus Dupree Coach Switzer is a great coach at the time when I was there alot stuff was going in his life..coach was one reasons I went there

ashley
2/11/2011, 05:06 PM
Switzer is just taking the high road on this. He is a big man.

Flagstaffsooner
2/11/2011, 06:18 PM
When I read 'Sat Nite Lites' almost twenty years ago I noticed that he had a thorn up his behind.

olevetonahill
2/11/2011, 06:39 PM
When I read 'Sat Nite Lites' almost twenty years ago I noticed that he had a thorn up his behind.

Never read it, Never will;)

boomermagic
2/11/2011, 07:15 PM
Here's what Tony Casillas had to say on FB..

Tony Casillas Barry Switzer took to much blame for an athletes failure. This happens everyday in in the world of sports, a great player doesn't have the mental toughness, therefore becomes just a guy. At the end of the day, ultimately you pave your way, some people can handle it, and some people unfortunately fail.

Flagstaffsooner
2/12/2011, 12:55 AM
As I recall Tony had a few issues as well.

tulsaoilerfan
2/12/2011, 01:44 AM
Bissinger is an idiot; Switzer first mentioned he regretted how he handled Dupree in his autobiography which was published over 20 years ago; the preacher man is the real villian in the Marcus Dupree story

boomermagic
2/12/2011, 04:25 PM
As I recall Tony had a few issues as well.

Not sure what issues you refer to but Tony left OU with an outland trophy and played many years in the Nfl. :confused: