PDA

View Full Version : Postal Service warns of default as losses mount

pphilfran
2/11/2011, 07:55 AM
The Postal Service is in the same boat as GM, Ford, Chrysler, and SS...once the business model of growth is no longer viable it is impossible to pay for retiree benefits...

http://money.cnn.com/2011/02/09/news/economy/postal_service/

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- The U.S. Postal Service warned Wednesday that it may default on some of its financial obligations later this year after reporting yet another quarterly loss.

The USPS, a self-supporting government agency that receives no tax dollars, said it suffered a loss of $329 million in the first quarter of federal fiscal year 2011. That compared with a loss of $297 million a year earlier.

The agency has been suffering from an ongoing decline in mail volume, which has undercut revenues, while retiree health care costs have been straining its reserves.

Excluding costs related to retiree benefits and adjustments to workers' compensation liability, the Postal Service said it had net income was $226 million in the first quarter, which ended Dec. 31.

Despite ongoing cost-cutting efforts, the USPS said it expects to have a cash shortfall this year and to hit its federally mandated borrowing limit by September, when the government's fiscal year ends.
All first-class stamps to be 'Forever' stamps

The agency said it will be forced to default on some of its financial obligations this year unless Congress changes a 2006 law requiring it to pay between $5.4 and $5.8 billion into its prepaid retiree health benefits each year.

"The Postal Service continues to seek changes in the law to enable a more flexible and sustainable business model," Patrick Donahoe, the Postmaster General, said in a statement. "We are eager to work with Congress and the administration to resolve these issues prior to the end of the fiscal year."

The Postal Service has taken a number of steps to increase revenue, including marketing initiatives and price increases. The agency raised rates an average of 3.6% in January.

It is also perusing more dramatic changes. Last year, the USPS submitted a request to the Postal Regulatory Commission, which oversees the agency, to eliminate Saturday mail service. The commission has yet to respond to the request, but a spokesman said it is in the "final phase" of making its decision.

The USPS has also cut back on hours to save money. The agency expects to eliminate 40 million work hours this fiscal year as part of a plan to save $2 billion.

However, the service is currently negotiating new contracts with the American Postal Workers Union and the National Rural Letter Carriers Association, which will probably object to cutting hours.

On the bright side, the Postal Service said improving economic conditions suggest the "worst of the precipitous volume decline during the recession is over." But mail volume continues to be anemic, rising only 1.5% in the first quarter as economic growth remains sluggish.

Breadburner
2/11/2011, 08:25 AM
I can't wait foe M.I.K.E. to weigh in on this......

yermom
2/11/2011, 08:27 AM
their service is already getting slower and slower

they should double their prices for junk mailers especially the politicians ;)

yermom
2/11/2011, 08:28 AM
with the way the boomers are killing pensions and social security, it's gonna be like Logan's Run up in here in no time

lexsooner
2/11/2011, 09:55 AM
This is bad. I am fearful this might result in some postal workers not being customer friendly. ;)

texaspokieokie
2/11/2011, 09:57 AM
with the way the boomers are killing pensions and social security, it's gonna be like Logan's Run up in here in no time

what have the "boomers" done ???

royalfan5
2/11/2011, 09:59 AM

Exist as a demographic bulge.

mgsooner
2/11/2011, 09:59 AM

gotten old without dying

The Profit
2/11/2011, 10:00 AM

They (We) have started getting older, but we are still the largest purchasing demographic. Its just that instead of purchasing perishable goods, cars, houses, etc., we are now purchasing medicine, knees, hips and pet food.

texaspokieokie
2/11/2011, 10:04 AM
so have i.

you realize that only the oldest ones of the "boomers" will be 65 this year.

it'll take another 18 yrs for all to be that old. of course some started drawing @ age 62, but not all. can't have had that large of an effect, YET.

texaspokieokie
2/11/2011, 10:07 AM
i still buy stuff, house is 4 yrs old & cars not old.
probably will get another car soon, just because i like new cars.

do spend lots on medecine tho, mostly supplemental insurance.

The Profit
2/11/2011, 10:07 AM
so have i.

it'll take another 18 yrs for all to be that old. of course some started drawing @ age 62, but not all. can't have had that large of an effect, YET.

I think I heard that on Jan. 1 at a minute after midnight, the first boomer turned 65. Every 3 minutes for the next several years, another boomer turns 65. There was a whole lot of banging going on in the 50's.

texaspokieokie
2/11/2011, 10:08 AM
we spend about $2.50/day for special food for our little bitty dog.

The Profit
2/11/2011, 10:10 AM
we spend about $2.50/day for special food for our little bitty dog.

What kind of diet is that mutt on?

texaspokieokie
2/11/2011, 10:12 AM
I think I heard that on Jan. 1 at a minute after midnight, the first boomer turned 65. Every 3 minutes for the next several years, another boomer turns 65. There was a whole lot of banging going on in the 50's.

yep, all the horny soldiers came home from war. of course, that was in the 40s.

don't know why they are still considered to be boomers up until 1964.

how many more were born in 64 than 65 ?? i'd guess more born in 65.

texaspokieokie
2/11/2011, 10:14 AM

some prescription food from the vet. actually, i think if you buy more than 6 cans, (which we did) it is cheaper.

looks bad, but dog likes it. has to, that's all she gets.

badger
2/11/2011, 10:15 AM
The USPS, a self-supporting government agency that receives no tax dollars.

i know some of you on here work for USPS, but I can't believe they still say this with a straight face when we all know that the USPS loan they're about to default on didn't come (DIRECTLY) from, say, China. It came from the federal government... aka tax dollars. And if it needs to take out a massive loan, it's hard to also call it self-supporting.

Sorry public employees, but I think the days of retiree benefits, such as pensions, will soon be finished.

The Profit
2/11/2011, 10:17 AM
some prescription food from the vet. actually, i think if you buy more than 6 cans, (which we did) it is cheaper.

looks bad, but dog likes it. has to, that's all she gets.

Is it low fat? My dog gets pancreatitis, and is on the Prescription Diet dry and wet food. Not cheap.

texaspokieokie
2/11/2011, 10:21 AM
i think it's low fat. i don't remember.
she's a little over weight. weighs about 7 lbs.

tulsaoilerfan
2/11/2011, 10:57 AM
Honestly they should cut back to 5 days a week of service, but not sure i agree with eliminating Saturday deliveries but should do a weekday(wednesday?) instead

Saul Good
2/11/2011, 11:05 AM
so have i.

Edit............nevermind. I see who/what you were responding to with the quoted post.

1890MilesToNorman
2/11/2011, 11:07 AM
If they would stop delivering bills to me and only delivered checks they could save some money.

olevetonahill
2/11/2011, 11:08 AM
WWDS

I do my part to hep the PS out. Why just yesterday I took some junk mail and stuffed that Postage Pd envelope with a bunch of junk an a few small rocks and mailed it back to the nice people that sent it to me.

texaspokieokie
2/11/2011, 11:08 AM
Honestly they should cut back to 5 days a week of service, but not sure i agree with eliminating Saturday deliveries but should do a weekday(wednesday?) instead

they could cut back to once a week for all i care. all we ever get is crap & bills.

REDREX
2/11/2011, 11:26 AM
The Gov't should sell the Postal service to a Private company while it still has some value

badger
2/11/2011, 12:12 PM

Honestly, I think a lot of postal carriers wouldn't retire just yet if they could have their weekends off

Not sure that would help the unemployment figures or the fact that if they hired newbs on they probably wouldn't be unionized and thus could pay them less.

SoCaliSooner
2/11/2011, 01:42 PM
Government run mail is in trouble? Even with hikes in the cost of postage that are supposed to keep them solvent?

I am sure the government accounting can't be wrong..after all...this government health care will be cheaper and save money..perhaps it can bail out the USPS...

Fraggle145
2/11/2011, 02:41 PM
Charge the people who want to advertise by mail more money for what is basically the right to harass the American public. Not to mention creating **** tons of waste every day.

soonercruiser
2/11/2011, 02:44 PM

Killed off 50 million babies since Roe v Wade - causing the so-called bubble!
:rolleyes:
(see my signature)
It is just simple math! Duh. :rolleyes:

soonercruiser
2/11/2011, 02:47 PM

Eats Mailmen!
:D

OUMallen
2/11/2011, 02:52 PM
i know some of you on here work for USPS, but I can't believe they still say this with a straight face when we all know that the USPS loan they're about to default on didn't come (DIRECTLY) from, say, China. It came from the federal government... aka tax dollars. And if it needs to take out a massive loan, it's hard to also call it self-supporting.

Sorry public employees, but I think the days of retiree benefits, such as pensions, will soon be finished.

I learned in law school that the only completely self-sufficient agency/department in the US government is the patent office. They actually are sustained by their fees.

ouwasp
2/11/2011, 02:53 PM
I "help" out the usps by sending back those worthless Publisher Clearing House things.

As for the boomer angle, my bro and I are later boomers, '62 and '63. A few yrs ago unmarried, childless bro was b!tching about the tax breaks families get. I have two kids, doing the nuclear family thing.

I said, "Now tell me, exactly how many tax dollars will your kids be paying into the system in 20 years when we're both retired?." Shut him down.

Fraggle145
2/11/2011, 04:11 PM
I blame Dean. ;)