PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburgh

Petro-Sooner
2/10/2011, 08:27 PM
I have a phone interview with a company in Pittsburgh tomorrow. I know nothing of the city. How is the cost of living relative to Oklahoma? How nice is the city? I have no desire to live up there but if its a good fit I may strongly consider taking it if I like the visit and get an offer.

Soonerson1975
2/10/2011, 08:29 PM
If you have any daughters I'd keep them away from Ben Roethlisburger.

Petro-Sooner
2/10/2011, 08:38 PM
I thought I was on the oval. My bad. Please move.....

olevetonahill
2/10/2011, 08:41 PM
If SteelCity gets back on he be the dude to help you. He lives there or just recently moved

jumperstop
2/10/2011, 08:41 PM
Pittsburgh is probably like any big town, everything more expensive, more crowded, more trafficy, and more crime. I wouldn't want to live there, but if the job is taking you there, I might do it. It'd have to be worth it to live up there in that cold, especially with all those Yankees up there.

Sooner_Tuf
2/10/2011, 08:43 PM
I have a phone interview with a company in Pittsburgh tomorrow. I know nothing of the city. How is the cost of living relative to Oklahoma? How nice is the city? I have no desire to live up there but if its a good fit I may strongly consider taking it if I like the visit and get an offer.

It is more expensive than Oklahoma. Pittsburgh is actually a great place to live if you like big cities. It is only a few minutes from the mountains to the east and the Alleghany River.

It is close to both West Virginia and Ohio. If you like to hunt and fish it is a great place. I don't care for large cities but if I had to live in one Pittsburgh would probably be on my list of possibilities.

Best of luck with your decision.

MI Sooner
2/10/2011, 08:45 PM
I'd barely consider Pittsburgh to be a bigger city than OKC. However, I do think it's one of the nicer looking cities of its size in the country.

agoo758
2/10/2011, 08:49 PM
A couple of guys came to Natchitoches from Duquense to give my jazz band some "pointers". They were the biggest ****ing pricks I've ever met.

jumperstop
2/10/2011, 08:50 PM
I'd barely consider Pittsburgh to be a bigger city than OKC. However, I do think it's one of the nicer looking cities of its size in the country.

About twice as big...Although we are growing where as they are not.

22 Pittsburgh, PA 2,354,957(2009) 2,431,087(2000)

44 Oklahoma City, OK 1,227,278 (2009) 1,095,421 (2000)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_of_United_States_Metropolitan_Statistical_Ar eas

Mongo
2/10/2011, 09:40 PM
I thought I was on the oval. My bad. Please move.....

Ruhtarded geologists. :D

Dude, dont go drill there. There is plenty of work in these parts.

Petro-Sooner
2/10/2011, 09:45 PM
:D HEH.

At this point I'll at least entertain the thought. Hell I'd rather live in Houston than Pittsburgh. And I dont care for Houston at all.

SoonerinLondon
2/10/2011, 11:04 PM
Really good city. The winters are generally much worse than Oklahoma, but he people are great and the city is really pretty cool.

It is not at all like Philly, which is East Coast all the way. Pittsburgh is much more mid-Western. I suspect you'll like it much more then you might expect.

HBick
2/10/2011, 11:26 PM
soonerinlondon got my part, but it is damn cold up there

Petro-Sooner
2/10/2011, 11:34 PM
I'm not a cold weather fan. But if the job and people are right I could do it for a short while. Single and no kids. Why not. Be great for the resume.

LostCreekSooner
2/11/2011, 03:01 AM
My parents grew up in Pittsburgh and many of my relatives still live there. We used to go frequently when I was growing up, and I was actually there last year for business, with an extended stay visiting relatives. It is actually a pretty cool city, but has been fairly depressed lately so actually cheap olive there.

Any reasonably big city with a large college has places to hang out. The hard part is that girls in the Midwest are MUCH hotter than girls back east.

I would take the job if it is a good opportunity.

KantoSooner
2/11/2011, 10:19 AM
One nice thing about PA is that the summers are GREEN!!!!! I mean like "Dayum, am I on acid?" green. Which is nice. There is an excellent tradition of local neighborhood bars. People tend to be pretty aggressively middle class and friendly (give 'em a week or two, they might not be overt, but they're good people).
I' m basically pretty high on the state. With the exception of Philly, which is more of a take-it-of-leave-it proposition.

Whet
2/11/2011, 10:30 AM
Nice geology around. Neat highway tunnels. Kennywood amusement park - nice historic site. Close to Ohio.

Did I mention nice geology?

bent rider
2/11/2011, 10:47 AM
I've only driven through the area, but the area is nice, green, hilly.
Main reason I'm posting is to give you this link for the cost of living comparison....

http://cgi.money.cnn.com/tools/costofliving/costofliving.html
http://www.kiplinger.com/tools/bestcities_sort/

There are others, not all might use the same data, google "cost of living city comparison"

With a lot of foreclosure sales and stuff going on nowadays, you still might be able to pick up a good deal on housing going to some of these areas that had a lot more of a housing price bubble and current higher unemployment rate than Oklahoma.

1890MilesToNorman
2/11/2011, 11:00 AM
It's just like Wister except it's got buildings and ****.

KantoSooner
2/11/2011, 12:50 PM
Oh, one more. I used to use Runzheimer, Inc. as a service when making relocations. Either for myself or people who reported to me. Last I checked, they'd do a personalized analysis for about $100. Not free, but very professional and it gave you a nice piece of documentation to support any negotiation with the new employers about COL increases you're likely to face.

Remember: Make it easy for the other guy to say, 'yes'. Give him a third party assessment.