PDA

View Full Version : question for p90xers

mgsooner
2/10/2011, 10:13 AM
Gonna be starting it in a couple weeks. For those that have done/are doing it, have you found a doorway chin up bar that is worth a flip? I've been looking at them on Amazon but it seems like there are some horrible reviews of every single one they sell.

C&CDean
2/10/2011, 10:27 AM
Why are you waiting for a couple weeks? All fitness experts state "you have to start NOW!" Kinda like giving up smoking. "I'm gonna quit right after this pack..."

Just wondering.

mgsooner
2/10/2011, 10:30 AM
Well first I have to actually order it and wait for it to arrive, and second I've got a life change that's going to be happening in a couple of weeks that is going to allow me a lot more free time than I currently have.

Partial Qualifier
2/10/2011, 11:07 AM
mgsooner: How much weight, ideally, would you like to lose with the p90x program? Just curious.

mgsooner
2/10/2011, 11:10 AM
To be honest I really don't need to lose any weight. I just want to get stronger and in better cardiovascular shape.

MR2-Sooner86
2/10/2011, 11:25 AM
I've heard P90X is if you want to get into shape and lose weight.

If you're already in shape some and just want to tone up and build up your wind, I've heard Insanity is the way to go.

KuppiKunta
2/10/2011, 11:27 AM
The Iron Gym one you can get for $30 at Wal-Mart, Walgreen's, Target, etc works fine. I think it holds up to 200 or 230, can't quite remember. When I first started, I found that I needed to use the bands more than the bar.

NormanPride
2/10/2011, 11:33 AM
Yeah, the one at wally world is fine. Either use bands or a chair to start out with if you can't do a pull-up. And Insanity is cardio to the extreme. Only try it if you're already in damn good shape, because it will kick your ***. Also the guy is annoying as hell and just yells all the time.

mgsooner
2/10/2011, 11:35 AM
The Iron Gym one you can get for $30 at Wal-Mart, Walgreen's, Target, etc works fine. I think it holds up to 200 or 230, can't quite remember. When I first started, I found that I needed to use the bands more than the bar.

that's actually the one i was looking at. None of them seem to be perfect, but that one seems like it might be a good option for the price.

mgsooner
2/10/2011, 11:38 AM
Yeah, the one at wally world is fine. Either use bands or a chair to start out with if you can't do a pull-up. And Insanity is cardio to the extreme. Only try it if you're already in damn good shape, because it will kick your ***. Also the guy is annoying as hell and just yells all the time.

By no means would I consider myself "in shape". I was working out a gym quite frequently up until a few months ago, but really have fallen out of shape over the winter. That being said, I really don't need to lose poundage. I just need to build muscle and be able to run a few miles without feeling like I'm going to keel over.

C&CDean
2/10/2011, 12:20 PM
I just don't get the people who need a "program" to work out. What ever happened to just going to the gym and then running/cycling/elipticaling/aerobicing until you've had enough? All this fad **** is just that. Fad ****.

I don't even understand why guys at the gym carry their little pad around writing down what they did and crap. It ain't hard to count 3 sets x 10 reps or whatever you're trying to do in your head.

Just ****ing work out.

mgsooner
2/10/2011, 12:33 PM
I just don't get the people who need a "program" to work out. What ever happened to just going to the gym and then running/cycling/elipticaling/aerobicing until you've had enough? All this fad **** is just that. Fad ****.

I don't even understand why guys at the gym carry their little pad around writing down what they did and crap. It ain't hard to count 3 sets x 10 reps or whatever you're trying to do in your head.

Just ****ing work out.

Well, that's essentially what p90x is, just a work out. It's not some gimmicky diet thing. It's just supposed to simulate working with a personal trainer only being able to 1)do it much cheaper, 2)do it in your own home. Using a chin up bar and push up stands isn't exactly an elaborate fad.

As for the pad, I carried one myself. The reason I carried one is so I could chart my improvements. There is no way I would be able to remember later how many reps/how much weight I did on each exercise without writing it down. That helped me know how many reps/how much weight to shoot for the next time.

C&CDean
2/10/2011, 12:45 PM
Well, that's essentially what p90x is, just a work out. It's not some gimmicky diet thing. It's just supposed to simulate working with a personal trainer only being able to 1)do it much cheaper, 2)do it in your own home. Using a chin up bar and push up stands isn't exactly an elaborate fad.

As for the pad, I carried one myself. The reason I carried one is so I could chart my improvements. There is no way I would be able to remember later how many reps/how much weight I did on each exercise without writing it down. That helped me know how many reps/how much weight to shoot for the next time.

My point is this:

Unless you plan on competing in body building contests carrying the pad and charting your incremental improvements is a waste of time.

Also, after you've been going as long as I have, you pretty much know how much weight/which exercises/how many reps you need to do, etc. If you feel like pushing it one day, get after it. If you feel like slacking a little bit, slack on. The key is you're working out and doing your body good. Charting weights/reps/improvement is a joke for 98% of us. So your bench went up 5 pounds or you did 7 reps instead of 5. BFD. Who cares? Your wife/girlfriend won't know the difference.

mgsooner
2/10/2011, 12:53 PM
I just needed something to help me know how much to even attempt to lift because I had never been a big weight lifter. In fact, I had not regularly worked out with weights since college. I had no concept of how much I should even try to lift, and how many reps I should attempt. It was a trial and error process for me, and the pad helped me out with that. I can see if you have been doing it for years and years it might not be necessary.

StoopTroup
2/10/2011, 01:10 PM
You don't need to wait. Lots of the stuff he uses in the program are things that if you did everyday you wouldn't probably need to buy his program. Start with 1-3 sets of 50 pushups and sit ups while you wait for his program. Run in place keeping your heart rate above 120 for 20 minutes a day. If you have some weights...start lifting lightly with lots of reps. Whatever you do...don't do the same thing everyday. Jack LaLanne didn't need P90X.

http://www.basicfamouspeople.com/pictures/1471.jpg

Don't over do it. If you start working out now you will reduce the possibility of you ending up in the ER. Folks I know in Surgical Rehabilitation have told me that they have had plenty of folks come through that tried to follow the P90x program and didn't listen to their body. We had it when it came out on VCR tape and that worked but it was very repetitive and really once you get to where you could finish the 1st level...you didn't need the rest. You just needed to keep working out and stretching 3-5 days a week. Let your Doctor know your gonna use it, that way if you get hurt he can recommend what to do to get you a program you can live with.

OUmillenium
2/10/2011, 01:35 PM

Yeah its a great one. I have it for p90x and I weight 225, it works great.

KuppiKunta
2/10/2011, 01:49 PM

Just ****ing work out.

My point is this:

Unless you plan on competing in body building contests carrying the pad and charting your incremental improvements is a waste of time.

Also, after you've been going as long as I have, you pretty much know how much weight/which exercises/how many reps you need to do, etc. If you feel like pushing it one day, get after it. If you feel like slacking a little bit, slack on. The key is you're working out and doing your body good. Charting weights/reps/improvement is a joke for 98% of us. So your bench went up 5 pounds or you did 7 reps instead of 5. BFD. Who cares? Your wife/girlfriend won't know the difference.

Roids are bad, mmmmkay! Why else would you be such a dick about someone charting their workout. I use an app on my phone now and I like being able to see progress (or regression)....it's instant motivation.

And if you're such bad *** in the gym, why'd you bother clicking on a P90X thread?

C&CDean
2/10/2011, 01:54 PM
Roids are bad, mmmmkay! Why else would you be such a dick about someone charting their workout. I use an app on my phone now and I like being able to see progress (or regression)....it's instant motivation.

Yes, roids are bad. So is being so taint injured about me expressing my opinion on the ninnies who chart their workouts that you'd bother to respond with a post like this.

Instant motivation huh? Right from your phone huh? Yeah, I bet your workouts are the bomb. I'm thinking the strongest muscles in your body are your thumbs while you're charting your progression/regression. Meh.

KuppiKunta
2/10/2011, 02:06 PM
Yes, roids are bad. So is being so taint injured about me expressing my opinion on the ninnies who chart their workouts that you'd bother to respond with a post like this.

Instant motivation huh? Right from your phone huh? Yeah, I bet your workouts are the bomb. I'm thinking the strongest muscles in your body are your thumbs while you're charting your progression/regression. Meh.

Why bother even responding to a P90X thread if you have nothing of value to add? The OP was looking for help, and I was happy to assist. You just joined the thread to be a dick. And yes, I like to chart my workouts, but I'm more of a cardio guy than a weights guy, so I just chart everything after the workout while I cool down. And yes, it's instant motivation for me. I can always see my last time, last 5 times, 10 times, etc and see what my distance was on the treadmill, eliptical, etc and if I see a trend of regression, I know I need to pick it up next time.

tcrb
2/10/2011, 02:13 PM
:pop:

C&CDean
2/10/2011, 02:20 PM
Why bother even responding to a P90X thread if you have nothing of value to add? The OP was looking for help, and I was happy to assist. You just joined the thread to be a dick. And yes, I like to chart my workouts, but I'm more of a cardio guy than a weights guy, so I just chart everything after the workout while I cool down. And yes, it's instant motivation for me. I can always see my last time, last 5 times, 10 times, etc and see what my distance was on the treadmill, eliptical, etc and if I see a trend of regression, I know I need to pick it up next time.

Glad you could assist the OP. I'm sure he got lots of good motivation from your posts.

You've got all of 32 posts. You might wanna hang around a little longer before you start calling people dicks or assuming someone joined a thread just to be one.

I may very well be a dick, and my modus operandi is pretty dicky, but I'll be ****ed in the *** with a bowflex if I'm gonna let some nubile chump go around calling people one.

You're damned lucky it's me you called a dick. You call another poster something like that with only 32 posts under your belt and it's a different story.

Besides, this guy ain't never gonna start working out anyhow. WTF difference does it make?

See, my motivational techniques are different than yours. Deal with it.

mgsooner
2/10/2011, 02:29 PM
lol

Eielson
2/10/2011, 02:48 PM
My point is this:

The thing is, some of us actually like to improve. I have no idea why anybody would bother going into the gym and doing the same thing over and over. I don't want to go in the gym and lift the same thing this year as I did last year. What is the point even? Is a 5 pound increase on a lift a big deal? No, but at the same time, yes. Five pounds on it's own won't do anything, but if you consistently increase the weight by five pounds it will add up. Adding 5 pounds a month for a year is an improvement of 60 pounds, and that is a big difference. So yes, you do need to track this stuff. Two reps and five pounds makes a big difference, and it's very easy to get mixed up when you have multiple movements in your program.

C&CDean
2/10/2011, 03:00 PM
The thing is, some of us actually like to improve. I have no idea why anybody would bother going into the gym and doing the same thing over and over. I don't want to go in the gym and lift the same thing this year as I did last year. What is the point even? Is a 5 pound increase on a lift a big deal? No, but at the same time, yes. Five pounds on it's own won't do anything, but if you consistently increase the weight by five pounds it will add up. Adding 5 pounds a month for a year is an improvement of 60 pounds, and that is a big difference. So yes, you do need to track this stuff. Two reps and five pounds makes a big difference, and it's very easy to get mixed up when you have multiple movements in your program.

Who said anything about not improving?

Let's see, I go in and put a couple 45s on the bar and do 10 reps. Then I go in and add a couple 5s to it. 135 to 145. Do you really need to write this down every time? You can't remember what you lifted the day before yesterday or even last week?

I just don't get the whole deal. Maybe it's because I'm from the school that you should always end each set with low max reps (1-4 reps) with muscle exhaustion being the goal. The deal is, some days my max reps are better than others. Why write down that I got 6 reps of 315 last Friday when today I can only muster 2? It changes all the damn time. Charting it is just pointless IMO. Work out. Hard. Some days hard is harder than others. Tracking it in a book doesn't serve any useful purpose.

Position Limit
2/10/2011, 03:01 PM
i'm gonna side with dean on this. i have to shake my head every time i see the 45 year old fatass charting his "progress" and all the other bull**** that is taking place in gyms these days. i cant wait for the weather to get a little nicer so i can drop my membership and get back into distance running and push ups and sit ups. i think the lamest thing going on right now is the whole personal trainer crap. i mean half these people are not in shape and all they do and stand around and count there clients reps. big deal. i could do that job on 5 bong hits. blah....

C&CDean
2/10/2011, 03:04 PM
Oh don't even get me started on personal trainers. If you're so ****ing lazy and/or stupid you can't pick it up on your own, or even have a friend help you then you deserve to have some slack-jawed loser working for $7 an hour "train" you. But, but , but he's a certified personal trainer...

jumperstop
2/10/2011, 03:45 PM
I just got my gym membership and it seems like it'll be a much better investment than p90x. I've watch a couple of the videos and they are insane. The reason it gets you so ripped is cause it's ****ing hard. They're like "Do as many pull ups as you can in a minute, GO!" I could have done that without the video. To me though all the "rip" that the people who do p90x get doesn't look very good. Doesn't seem to be the same tone you get from working with weights. Their abs look all uneven and stuff.

jumperstop
2/10/2011, 03:46 PM
Oh don't even get me started on personal trainers. If you're so ****ing lazy and/or stupid you can't pick it up on your own, or even have a friend help you then you deserve to have some slack-jawed loser working for $7 an hour "train" you. But, but , but he's a certified personal trainer...

I feel like I at least look like I'm in better shape than a lot of the "personal trainers" at my gym. I'm not going to pay good money to have some out of shape guy yell at me and tell me I need to get into shape.

Eielson
2/10/2011, 03:47 PM
Who said anything about not improving?

Let's see, I go in and put a couple 45s on the bar and do 10 reps. Then I go in and add a couple 5s to it. 135 to 145. Do you really need to write this down every time? You can't remember what you lifted the day before yesterday or even last week?

You're making it sound like you do that every time. If you do that every time you go in the gym, than you're not improving. Maybe I'm not understanding something.

And no, I don't always remember exactly what I lifted a week ago. I know a pretty general area, but there are times when I don't know the exact reps or weight I used. I don't take ridiculously detailed notes on my lifting, and I do most of it after I come home, but I write down enough to give myself a general idea. You can't get 50 pounds stronger without getting 5 pounds stronger first.

Tracking it in a book doesn't serve any useful purpose.

I thought you said that bodybuilders needed to chart stuff like this in a book? Why is it that you feel they need to?

C&CDean
2/10/2011, 03:57 PM
You're making it sound like you do that every time. If you do that every time you go in the gym, than you're not improving. Maybe I'm not understanding something.

And no, I don't always remember exactly what I lifted a week ago. I know a pretty general area, but there are times when I don't know the exact reps or weight I used. I don't take ridiculously detailed notes on my lifting, and I do most of it after I come home, but I write down enough to give myself a general idea. You can't get 50 pounds stronger without getting 5 pounds stronger first.

I thought you said that bodybuilders needed to chart stuff like this in a book? Why is it that you feel they need to?

No, you're not getting it. 2-10 pound fluctuations in what you list from workout to workout don't mean squat. Yes, you have to add 5 or 10 before you can get to 50. But hell man, the damned weights are standard. 2 1/2, 5/ 10, 25, 35, and 45. What's so hard about it? If you're worrying about forgetting you added 2 1/2 pounds you're worrying about nothing.

Also, what you're not getting is that some days you can be almost 50 pounds better than others. That's why I'm saying you push yourself to muscle exhaustion on your final sets - whether it's with 225 or 230 doesn't mean dick.

I really don't think body builders need to chart it, but when you're all roided out of your mind it probably helps - besides, those guys need the ego bump from knowing they maxed out with 5 more pounds. Normal people do not.

Another thing that cracks me up about people in gyms. When I advise someone to push a little harder they go "I'm not trying to build mass, I'm just trying to tone." STFU. You can work till you puke, but you're not gonna have any noticeable gain in mass for months. The average person isn't willing to push themselves hard enough to worry about gaining any mass. Unless, of course, they're roiding. Then, they ain't normal anymore.

KuppiKunta
2/10/2011, 04:00 PM
Glad you could assist the OP. I'm sure he got lots of good motivation from your posts.

You've got all of 32 posts. You might wanna hang around a little longer before you start calling people dicks or assuming someone joined a thread just to be one.

I may very well be a dick, and my modus operandi is pretty dicky, but I'll be ****ed in the *** with a bowflex if I'm gonna let some nubile chump go around calling people one.

You're damned lucky it's me you called a dick. You call another poster something like that with only 32 posts under your belt and it's a different story.

Besides, this guy ain't never gonna start working out anyhow. WTF difference does it make?

See, my motivational techniques are different than yours. Deal with it.

Enjoy the *** rape....I'm sure it's not the first piece of exercise equipment that's been shoved up there! And WTF does post count have to do with anything? You really think that makes me a nube? I've been a member since 2008, just don't post a whole lot. It's dicks like you that ruin the message board experience for others. The OP wanted advice and he was getting some helpful info til you came along. Go back to the gym, grunt a little more and eventually you might just overcome your tiny penis syndrome!

Lucky huh? How's that? Wanna ban me for calling you out? I don't give a f*%k....that'll just show even more what a dick you are!

OutlandTrophy
2/10/2011, 04:08 PM
heh

C&CDean
2/10/2011, 04:08 PM
As meltdowns go, that was puny. C'mon boy, you can do better.

mgsooner
2/10/2011, 04:09 PM
This is just what I had in mind when I started this thread lol

Eielson
2/10/2011, 04:09 PM

There are some very good personal trainers that can be highly beneficial. However, most of them suck. There are a million different certifications out there, a lot of which you can get over the internet, and some of which you can get spending just one weekend somewhere. Their clients don't generally know that, though. NSCA, USAW, and ACSM look just about like any other 4 letter word by your name to the average person. Even those three have their limitations, but they're about as good as any currently available. I really can't stand some of the trainers I see in the YMCA weight room that are rolling on the floor doing strange exercises that can't possibly serve any useful purpose while I'm trying to get to the squat rack. Sadly, a lot of these people swear by their trainers even though they haven't gotten any meaningful results. I guess people just feel better about themselves when they physically struggle even if it is just randomly stressing the body in a way that does no good for it.

C&CDean
2/10/2011, 04:13 PM
Wait, you ain't a boy? Well fer ****'s sake. I just assumed with a mouth that trashy you had to be.

Eielson
2/10/2011, 04:23 PM
I don't think we're ever gonna get anywhere with the log argument. I guess I'm just going to agree to disagree.

Another thing that cracks me up about people in gyms. When I advise someone to push a little harder they go "I'm not trying to build mass, I'm just trying to tone." STFU. You can work till you puke, but you're not gonna have any noticeable gain in mass for months. The average person isn't willing to push themselves hard enough to worry about gaining any mass. Unless, of course, they're roiding. Then, they ain't normal anymore.

Let me know if you ever figure out that "tone" means anything other than "I'm a faggot." You don't "tone" muscles. They just get bigger, or your bodyfat decreases.

Position Limit
2/10/2011, 04:24 PM
yeah i hear what your saying dean by pansies not pushing it. they show up in the latest workout fashion gear and not even break a sweat. god i cant wait for spring to get here. i love running the river and the only other people working it are hot moms running with their strollers. plus 21st and riverside just opened the new bar overhanging the river. i can get my drink on after my 8 mile jaunts.... gyms are for suckers.

jumperstop
2/10/2011, 04:27 PM
yeah i hear what your saying dean by pansies not pushing it. they show up in the latest workout fashion gear and not even break a sweat. god i cant wait for spring to get here. i love running the river and the only other people working it are hot moms running with their strollers. plus 21st and riverside just opened the new bar overhanging the river. i can get my drink on after my 8 mile jaunts.... gyms are for suckers.

Gyms are for people want to build muscle. You aren't going to get buff running 8 miles around the lake.

jumperstop
2/10/2011, 04:28 PM
I don't think we're ever gonna get anywhere with the log argument. I guess I'm just going to agree to disagree.

Let me know if you ever figure out that "tone" means anything other than "I'm a faggot." You don't "tone" muscles. They just get bigger, or your bodyfat decreases.

I thought Tan and Tone was a lady thing anyways. How could they be faggots?

Eielson
2/10/2011, 04:33 PM
I thought Tan and Tone was a lady thing anyways. How could they be faggots?

I've heard plenty of guys use that word. It really just means that they don't know what they're talking about, but I prefer to call them faggots.

jumperstop
2/10/2011, 04:35 PM
I've heard plenty of guys use that word. It really just means that they don't know what they're talking about, but I prefer to call them faggots.

I think a lot of people get the word tone confused with definition.

Position Limit
2/10/2011, 04:39 PM
Gyms are for people want to build muscle. You aren't going to get buff running 8 miles around the lake.

it's so much easier to bulk up when you have no body fat. running is good like that. lets also not forget about the most important muscle of all, the heart. besides unless your 20 years old, how buff you think you gonna get.. i crack up at the 40 years "buff" clowns. bird legs, fat gut and big table muscles. running is where it's at. trust me. i know..

ouduckhunter
2/10/2011, 04:44 PM
Pac10Sux does P90X and loves it. He didn't need to lose weight, and he was in really good shape, but it got him in even better shape. He plays lots of tennis, and it made him so much faster and more agile that other players noticed and commented on it. He was a good tennis player to begin with, but it made him even better. He bought some big rig, free standing piece of equipment that he uses for chin ups, pull ups, etc. It's not one of those things that fits into the door frame, but it wasn't super expensive as far as workout equipment goes either.

Me, I prefer working out with kettlebells! Do a search and check out videos on youtube. Swinging a kettlebell will get you in the best dang shape of your life. You build strength, and you're working out aerobically at the same time. When I started working out with kettlebells, I couldn't do a single pushup. Now, I can crank em out by the dozen, and I got guns! Not bad for an old women! :)

Eielson
2/10/2011, 04:45 PM
it's so much easier to bulk up when you have no body fat. running is good like that. lets also not forget about the most important muscle of all, the heart. besides unless your 20 years old, how buff you think you gonna get.. i crack up at the 40 years "buff" clowns. bird legs, fat gut and big table muscles. running is where it's at. trust me. i know..

Trust him, guys! He knows!

jumperstop
2/10/2011, 04:51 PM

I'm 23, just started working out at the gym. So yes, I'm looking to get buff like you said. I'm not fat and decently in shape, so the running thing isn't that important to me at this point in my life. I can get all the cardio I need while at the gym.

jumperstop
2/10/2011, 04:53 PM
Pac10Sux does P90X and loves it. He didn't need to lose weight, and he was in really good shape, but it got him in even better shape. He plays lots of tennis, and it made him so much faster and more agile that other players noticed and commented on it. He was a good tennis player to begin with, but it made him even better. He bought some big rig, free standing piece of equipment that he uses for chin ups, pull ups, etc. It's not one of those things that fits into the door frame, but it wasn't super expensive as far as workout equipment goes either.

Me, I prefer working out with kettlebells! Do a search and check out videos on youtube. Swinging a kettlebell will get you in the best dang shape of your life. You build strength, and you're working out aerobically at the same time. When I started working out with kettlebells, I couldn't do a single pushup. Now, I can crank em out by the dozen, and I got guns! Not bad for an old women! :)

My pull up bar just came from Walmart and it used a two brackets you screw into the wall to hang your bar, so it doesn't have to be there all the time if you don't want. Only 10 bucks though, and probably more reliable than those that slip over the frame. Used to be able to do about 20 pull ups down to about 10 or so now since I'm just getting back into shape though.

MamaMia
2/10/2011, 05:02 PM
I hate having to look up the original threads that started before the sequel thread is made. Cant you guys merge the starter threads that match up with the appropriate meltdown threads? :pop:

2121Sooner
2/10/2011, 05:04 PM
So let me get this straight Dean, just because you are kind of mixing your words.

So you dont chart your workouts?

And if someone knows where Dean lives, please drive over and give the guy a hug.

crackback
2/10/2011, 05:28 PM
Just hilarious.

sooner59
2/10/2011, 06:51 PM
Working out is for genetic pansies who were too lame to be passed the DNA of Zeuss. Screw it, I'm gonna go work out...

XingTheRubicon
2/10/2011, 07:16 PM
I just wrote "Dean's a dick" in my workout notepad.

C&CDean
2/10/2011, 07:37 PM
Did you max out when you did? God, I hope so...

2121Sooner
2/10/2011, 07:43 PM
Dean stopped doing p90x when he heard they didnt have the clean and jerk as an exercise