PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 teams of the 64 team era

jkjsooner
2/9/2011, 10:44 PM
Forgive me if this is really old and/or has already been posted. I just stumbled on this. A Rivals guy did a top 10 list of teams in the 64 team era. It's pretty cool they included '88 OU at #10.

http://collegebasketball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=696681#top10list

Notes:

1. I'd replace '90 UNLV with '91 UNLV and leave them at #1. A disappointing loss to Duke in the finals doesn't change the fact that that was an outstanding team. (See the Georgetown team he picked.)

2. It's pretty cool that we beat the #1 team on the list. (Was it Larry Johnson who was out that game?) That '90 OU team really is forgotten by OU fans.

3. The guy clearly didn't want to include multiple teams from one school. Otherwise you'd probably have the top 10 almost filled with UNC, Duke, and Georgetown. If forced to pick one UNC team, I'd pick the one with Jordan, Ewing, Perkins, and to a much lesser extent Daugherty (Brad not Matt Doherty who actually played a larger role on that team).

Octavian
2/10/2011, 01:42 AM
Awesome list. The '88 OU team was dominant....exciting to watch. Shame they didn't win it. The '90 team is largely forgotten because of the early March exit.

You're right about '91 UNLV -- they were much better than the '90 Rebs, despite not winning the NC.

At everyone's best, '96 Kentucky would be hard for any of them to beat.

King Crimson
2/10/2011, 08:11 AM
90 team was the hottest team in America for a couple weeks and the overall #1 seed. lost to UNC in Austin. kind of a double-whammy. beating Missouri that year in Norman is one of my fave games ever. Doug Smith and Anthony Peeler.

interesting that you have teams with undersized post players (by NBA standards) here: LJ and Corliss Williamson....

i call this the Sam Clancy/Ace McGHee/Lonny Baxter principle. a 6' 8" guy with low post moves and a turnaround J has no place in the NBA.

King Crimson
2/10/2011, 08:19 AM
i remember watching the 1998 tournament and they did a million "10 year anniversary" of Danny-can't be called for a foul and the Miracles flashbacks and i wanted to chew my face off.

98 is the year Kelvin loses to Stanford and Brevin Knight? awesome tournament for OU fan, lots of Manning highlights and losing in the first round again. to be fair, we are underdogs in most of Kelvin's first round losses (minus Manhattan, obviously).

Indy State, we should have won. choke job. Purdue rankles me as well. 2nd round L to the Boilers and Brian Cardinal.

King Crimson
2/11/2011, 11:59 AM
i've been corrected by an estimable source here that 98 is the Corey Brewer v. AJ Guyton OT loss to Indiana in the first round. Not Stanford....which is the year before.

badger
2/11/2011, 12:02 PM
Derp derp... should they really include some of these teams that were actually in the 65 team era? :D

soonervegas
2/12/2011, 11:30 AM
The 1990 OU team went 2-0 against that 1990 UNLV team. Damn you Rick Fox.....

Scratch that it was the 89 team.....the 90 team only beat them once.

jkjsooner
2/12/2011, 03:57 PM
90 team was the hottest team in America for a couple weeks and the overall #1 seed. lost to UNC in Austin. kind of a double-whammy. beating Missouri that year in Norman is one of my fave games ever. Doug Smith and Anthony Peeler.

Yep, I think it would be hard to find a team who had a better three day stretch than the '90 OU team.

On Sunday we beat #1 Missouri by 17 and turned around on Tuesday to beat #1 Kansas by 22. (We of course took over the #1 spot the next week.)

The one thing the '90 team missed was a true center. William Davis (who was only 6'6") was a solid player but against UNC our lack of size showed. That team could run with any of them but UNC slowed us down and made our lack of height an issue. (What was great about the '88 team is that they were very good even if you forced them into a half court game.)

We would have had such a great team in '91 if McCovery, Jones, and Patterson would have remained eligibile. All we should have lost was Davis who would have been easily replaced by Bryan Sallier. Add in Brent Price and a much improved Jeff Webster and that team should have been outstanding.

ouleaf
2/13/2011, 09:19 PM
I'd prob. have that '96 Kentucky team No. 1....30 double digit victories and avg victory margin of 24....Ridiculous.

Then you can argue between Duke and UNLV for the 2nd spot.