PDA

View Full Version : Nick Thompson

booomer
2/9/2011, 02:25 PM
What is the deal with him? He never gets to play anymore and I don't know why. What little I saw him play, he seemed like a good shooter.

Boomer.....
2/9/2011, 02:48 PM
Are we talking about the same Nick Thompson?

He is a stiff. He can't shoot, plays little defense, and hurts out team more than helps. If you have noticed, our nice little win streak started as soon as he starting riding pine. He was supposedly chosen by the players as a co-captain because of his work ethic and leadership during practice but I don't see it.

Lately he has pouted about not playing and just sits on the bench with his arms crossed. He does not cheer, get excited, or celebrate with the rest of the team. I don't care who you are or what your situation is, you should cheer for your team no matter what!

soonervegas
2/9/2011, 02:54 PM
That's tough Boomer....

I bet in hindsight he probably wishes he would have stuck at the proper college level and not bought the snake oil.....

Soonerite
2/9/2011, 03:07 PM
Completely agree. I have been really disappointed that he has been so disconnected from the team since his playing time was cut. I've been cheering for C.J. to get more playing time all year and I am glad he hasn't made me look stupid. He is way more aggressive on defense and rebounding than Thompson ever was. Thompson was good for a random three every once in a while, but his consistent air balls really evened that out.

yankee
2/9/2011, 03:22 PM
What is the deal with him? He never gets to play anymore and I don't know why. What little I saw him play, he seemed like a good shooter.

lolwut?

SoonerObsession
2/9/2011, 03:37 PM
I agree that he should be on the bench. Any notice how he was always getting into little spats with just about every other team? I was really glad he didn't play at OSU, because we surely would have had a fight on our hands.

booomer
2/9/2011, 03:49 PM
So, he's not a starter....I didn't realize that that meant that he has no value whatsoever. I see he has a bad attitude now....but why would he be benched with no opportunity to play at all...ever? That's what I was trying to get at.

sooner518
2/9/2011, 04:08 PM
he seemed to play pretty well the first few games when we played really horrible teams. Once we started playing anyone with a pulse, he became invisible and played really poorly. I dont know how people know he has a bad attitude though

Boomer.....
2/9/2011, 04:14 PM
It's because he sits on the bench and doesn't clap, cheer, get excited, nothing. During the celebration video after the Iowa State video he was the only one not jumping around and celebrating. Ever since getting benched, he has pouted.

sperry
2/9/2011, 04:31 PM
That's tough Boomer....

I bet in hindsight he probably wishes he would have stuck at the proper college level and not bought the snake oil.....

Bought the snakeoil? He was made a starter and team captain. He simply lost his spot.

LoveDemSooners
2/9/2011, 04:44 PM
He is just not very good...at all.

Soonerjeepman
2/9/2011, 05:10 PM
I agree that he should be on the bench. Any notice how he was always getting into little spats with just about every other team? I was really glad he didn't play at OSU, because we surely would have had a fight on our hands.

EXACTLY....he's had more flagrant fouls in the first half of the season then the whole team....I like hustle and hard play...and sometimes a hard foul is ok AS LONG AS YOU ARE ACTUALLY TRYING TO PLAY THE GAME....the couple I saw were cheap shots...but that's just my opinion...

and I agree...on the other post...he just isn't a high level D1 guy...IMHO...

Rock Hard Corn Frog
2/9/2011, 07:23 PM
Beau Gerber pretty much only saw the floor in blowouts and when we had 2-3 players in early foul trouble. Gerber >> Thompson.

I Am Right
2/9/2011, 07:38 PM
Yeah, we don't want to play someone who can pass, dribble and shoot

birddog
2/9/2011, 09:16 PM
pete chillcut could take n thompson

Soonerite
2/10/2011, 12:59 AM
Yeah, we don't want to play someone who can pass, dribble and shoot

Pass to the other team, Dribble off of his feet, and Shoot airballs.

booomer
2/10/2011, 07:13 AM
Beau Gerber pretty much only saw the floor in blowouts and when we had 2-3 players in early foul trouble. Gerber >> Thompson.

lol - Gerber was never a starter, never even considered to be a starter.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
2/10/2011, 07:52 AM
lol - Gerber was never a starter, never even considered to be a starter.

That's my point.

OUmillenium
2/10/2011, 01:03 PM
Saw some good things out of Nick here and there, but I think Capel chose to emphasize defense/rebounding about 6 games ago and Nick is AWOL in those categories. A random 3 doesn't make up for lack of D and rebounding every single trip.

Pledger is still a year away from getting it together, hopefully not 2 years. If we had anybody else, he would be riding pine.

Blair has been solid.

Kade - very good for a 6th man force to start.

Fitz - solid

Others inconsistent

...sooner
2/10/2011, 01:39 PM
Are we talking about the same Nick Thompson?

He is a stiff. He can't shoot, plays little defense, and hurts out team more than helps. If you have noticed, our nice little win streak started as soon as he starting riding pine. He was supposedly chosen by the players as a co-captain because of his work ethic and leadership during practice but I don't see it.

Lately he has pouted about not playing and just sits on the bench with his arms crossed. He does not cheer, get excited, or celebrate with the rest of the team. I don't care who you are or what your situation is, you should cheer for your team no matter what!

EXACTLY....he's had more flagrant fouls in the first half of the season then the whole team....I like hustle and hard play...and sometimes a hard foul is ok AS LONG AS YOU ARE ACTUALLY TRYING TO PLAY THE GAME....the couple I saw were cheap shots...but that's just my opinion...

and I agree...on the other post...he just isn't a high level D1 guy...IMHO...

agree

HAHAHAHA

-if you watch nick he just stands there & lets the guy drive right by him. & hes AWFUL at help defense. i know a lot of these guys are as well but hes the WORST!

ouleaf
2/10/2011, 02:22 PM
Yeah, he is a bust until further notice....he had a nice first couple of games where he looked like he played with good hustle and energy. Also seems to have a knack for finding the open man, but that all came to a screeching halt unfortunately when the level of opponent improved.

badger
2/10/2011, 03:34 PM
If he didn't pout, he'd be a better person than me or many people out there.

The guy started six games and of the 16 games he's played in, averaged a little over 18 minutes in each of them, and there were games earlier this season that he was racking up 20, 30 minutes each night. He was even shooting 45 percent from three point line.

It probably feels like he's been punched in the gut, had the rug swept out from under him or other silly common sayings when something you are used to gets taken from you. I know you guys generally are not the show-emotions type in general, but I feel sorry for him, because I can just picture him in the fetal position in a dark dorm room crying himself to sleep, thinking about how irrelevant he's become on a team that is suddenly relevant in the conference again. :(

I sincerely hope that's not the case, but he's really had a tough season.

Soonerite
2/10/2011, 06:46 PM
Man that was a depressing post!!

badger
2/10/2011, 07:06 PM
Well, this is a depressing thread. :(

Soonerjeepman
2/11/2011, 02:35 PM
Well, this is a depressing thread. :(

this is a depressing SEASON....:(

Eielson
2/11/2011, 02:40 PM
this is a depressing SEASON....:(

Last year was a depressing season. That's where all the issues are from.

badger
2/11/2011, 03:12 PM
I don't mind threads that call out coaches, because we all know they'd never read this crap. I am more hesitant with player threads, because they're our age and part of the techie era where you google your name and see what comes up... and if you google "Nick Thompson Sooners," guess what one of the top results is :(

soonervegas
2/11/2011, 03:21 PM
I don't mind threads that call out coaches, because we all know they'd never read this crap. I am more hesitant with player threads, because they're our age and part of the techie era where you google your name and see what comes up... and if you google "Nick Thompson Sooners," guess what one of the top results is :(

Yea it's amazing how quick we are to pounce on a player, but the true culprit still gets a pass from many of us....

I'm not talking about any poster specifically, just the nature of message boards.

Soonerjeepman
2/14/2011, 09:27 AM
Yea it's amazing how quick we are to pounce on a player, but the true culprit still gets a pass from many of us....

I'm not talking about any poster specifically, just the nature of message boards.

I think many folks ARE blaming the coaching...AND that's part of it...NT just isn't a MAJOR D1 guy...hence his offers...but how you react to situations shows more about who you are...

I hope the best for him...

OUmillenium
2/18/2011, 02:30 PM
so he didnt play v nebbish, is it all on the court issues or is he in the doghouse for sumpn else?

Boomer.....
2/18/2011, 03:02 PM
His body language has been better latey. I think Capel just realized that he doesn't have what it takes at the moment. Hopefully it will push him at practice.

badger
2/18/2011, 04:05 PM
His body language has been better latey.

Agree. I hadn't paid attention to his behavior on the bench till you all mentioned that he was pouting, but during the Nebbish game he was high fiving and celebrating every big shot and timeout during a rally with the rest of the team.