PDA

View Full Version : Catfish Cove

Partial Qualifier
2/9/2011, 01:03 PM
A new franchise - I think it's a local deal - called Catfish Cove has opened two locations in the metro, one in Yukon, one in SW OKC.

It's all-u-can-eat buffet, pretty simple offerings:

fried catfish tenderloins, fried chicken, fried shrimp.
baked potato/sweet potato bar.
Beans, Fried okra, hushpuppies.
Salad bar.
Homemade vanilla ice cream, cobbler.

My son and I tried it, set us back about $15. As I mentioned the menu is simple but damn if that wasn't some of the best catfish & fixings I've ever had. Everything was really good. I ate WAY too much.

Anyone else tried it?

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
2/9/2011, 01:05 PM
The South Shall Rise Again!...it sounds delish.

oudanny
2/9/2011, 01:36 PM
There used to be a buffet restaurant by the same name in Fort Smith. I don't know if it is still open. It's been years since I've been there. The food was great.

sooner_born_1960
2/9/2011, 01:38 PM
Sounds similar to Catfish Cabin that used to be in the Bethany/Warr Acres area. Is that still there?

Partial Qualifier
2/9/2011, 01:51 PM
Sounds similar to Catfish Cabin that used to be in the Bethany/Warr Acres area. Is that still there?

I dont know but I remember it. Meridian & 63rd by Leslie's pool supply

Boomer.....
2/9/2011, 01:56 PM
Catfish Cove used to be up Telephone Road in Moore along I-35. They just recently moved to the new location in Moore/south OKC across from Kohl's. We at at the old location and the combination of fried everything was too much for us. Maybe they have gotten better since the move.

Partial Qualifier
2/9/2011, 02:12 PM
I can say this: I got my fill for the next month or so. Not a place I'd go eat on a weekly basis. But it was tasty.

unbiasedtruth
2/9/2011, 02:30 PM
what no green tomato relish.....

Partial Qualifier
2/9/2011, 03:56 PM
what no green tomato relish.....

actually yes they had that. and cole slaw. and probably a few other things I forgot about

87sooner
2/9/2011, 03:58 PM
do you know what a catfish "tenderloin" is?

Partial Qualifier
2/9/2011, 04:24 PM
do you know what a catfish "tenderloin" is?

I get the feeling you're itching to tell us. Please go ahead

87sooner
2/9/2011, 04:34 PM
it's the meat from the underside of the belly of the fish...
when i fillet a catfish....i discard it...
anytime you see "all you can eat catfish"...rest assured you will be getting belly meat...
i would stick with the fillets...

Partial Qualifier
2/9/2011, 04:37 PM
I like the tenderloins better. they taste the same as filets to me but the tenderloin has a texture I like better, I guess. a little firmer

Partial Qualifier
2/9/2011, 04:41 PM
A couple softballs in my reply there.

I had started to wonder if "tenderloins" was just filets cut down to size for easier cooking or something. Because I mean catfish don't exactly have loins, ya know?? :)

87sooner
2/9/2011, 04:45 PM
when i hear "tenderloin"...i usually think the highest quality cut on the animal....
not the scraps i usually throw away...
it's very misleading...
and i think most people don't know the truth about what they're eating...
who knows...maybe they don't care.....all u can eat means eat all u can.....

Boomer.....
2/9/2011, 04:53 PM
Mmmmmmm.......catfish belly.

SteelClip49
2/9/2011, 05:16 PM
Catfish Cove in Yukon is off I-40 and the Mustang Road exit. I will not eat there because it just doesn't sound appealing.

Catfish Cabin is legit and when down south, McGehee's in Marietta is jizzworthy awesomeness!

tcrb
2/9/2011, 05:21 PM

Enjoy it while you can....the First Lady plans on putting a stop to this "all you can eat" business here in America. Apparently being overweight should not be one's free choice and serving portions in restaurants need government regulation.
:gary:

GDC
2/9/2011, 05:25 PM
The Man vs. Food guy was doing some sort of challenge at a catfish restaurant in OKC the other day, but I never got the name of the place.

C&CDean
2/9/2011, 05:27 PM
You can eat all of a farm-raised catfish. Catfish you catch in the river, lake, pond or streams? Not so much. Even the filets on lake/river/pond-caught catfish taste like ***. Crappie/bass/walleye/perch on the other hand...

Boomer.....
2/9/2011, 05:30 PM
The Man vs. Food guy was doing some sort of challenge at a catfish restaurant in OKC the other day, but I never got the name of the place.

That was somewhere east of OKC.

87sooner
2/9/2011, 05:36 PM
You can eat all of a farm-raised catfish. Catfish you catch in the river, lake, pond or streams? Not so much. Even the filets on lake/river/pond-caught catfish taste like ***. Crappie/bass/walleye/perch on the other hand...

i might have agreed..
before i started catching/eating blue catfish from kaw lake...
very good eating....and much more fun catching a 20-40 lb bluecat than an 8 ounce crappie....

walleye from canton still my favorite tho...

Partial Qualifier
2/9/2011, 05:43 PM
Enjoy it while you can....the First Lady plans on putting a stop to this "all you can eat" business here in America. Apparently being overweight should not be one's free choice and serving portions in restaurants need government regulation.

portion size is only part of the equation. I hope she can find something better to worry about!

I've noticed this too, Dean. Why is that? Just plain ol' benefits of quality control?

tcrb
2/9/2011, 05:47 PM
portion size is only part of the equation. I hope she can find something better to worry about!

Yeah....like the size of her own a$$ ???? :eek:

mgsooner
2/9/2011, 05:54 PM
portion size is only part of the equation. I hope she can find something better to worry about!?

Yeah I sure hope so too. God forbid anyone in this country do anything to try to combat the amount of disgusting fat @$$es that are driving up my insurance costs. Just keep gorging yourselves and sweating into your la-z-boys.

tcrb
2/9/2011, 06:46 PM
Yeah I sure hope so too. God forbid anyone in this country do anything to try to combat the amount of disgusting fat @$$es that are driving up my insurance costs. Just keep gorging yourselves and sweating into your la-z-boys.

I dont need the Federal Government telling me when it's time to lay down my fork, thank you very much. I am a grown adult with enough intelligence to know when to stop eating, or to know when I need to run an extra couple of miles if I've chosen to overindulge myself at the dinner table.

And if the Feds would have kept their nose out of the health insurance business, you could be getting a discount for being healthy while all those fat @$$es and smokers out there would be paying an additional premium for their poor choices. But the gov't thinks that the fat @$$es shouldn't have to pay any more than you or me, so yeah, you now get penalized for the la-z-boy riders.

soonercruiser
2/9/2011, 06:52 PM
:gary:

MY First Lady has already outlawed fried food for me. :(
(Except when I cheat on her by eating at work - Church's Fried Chicken when I can!)
:D

Sooner_Bob
2/9/2011, 07:34 PM
That was somewhere east of OKC.

Catfish Round-Up by Seminole?

Sooner_Bob
2/9/2011, 07:35 PM

I've noticed this too, Dean. Why is that? Just plain ol' benefits of quality control?

They're fed better.

87sooner
2/9/2011, 08:07 PM
They're fed better.

yeah....if you consider antibiotics and medications and supplements "better" than the natural things they eat in a lake...

Adrian
2/9/2011, 08:49 PM
Some of you really take the fun out of eating...

AlbqSooner
2/9/2011, 09:19 PM
There is a secret to eating "wild" Catfish. If the fish has lived in murky (muddy) water, you need to clean it before you kill it.

Hillbilly taught me this one. He had an old bathtub in his yard. Fill it with water and put the fish in it. Put the hose in running fairly slow and leave it for at least two days, perhaps longer. If the overflow drain on the tub is too close to the top, cut another one and plug that one.

By running fresh water through the fish for a couple or three days, the muddy taste is gone.
YWIA.

OUHOMER
2/9/2011, 09:24 PM
ate at the one in Yukon after church a couple times not bad, But i was so full i was useless the rest of the day..

Turd_Ferguson
2/9/2011, 09:41 PM
The Man vs. Food guy was doing some sort of challenge at a catfish restaurant in OKC the other day, but I never got the name of the place.Steak and Catfish barn at Waterloo & I-35.

Partial Qualifier
2/9/2011, 09:44 PM
ate at the one in Yukon after church a couple times not bad, But i was so full i was useless the rest of the day..

michelle obama & mgsooner hate you

GDC
2/9/2011, 10:08 PM
Steak and Catfish barn at Waterloo & I-35.

There were a couple of extraordinarily hot pieces of *** directly behind the guy eating.

Tulsa_Fireman
2/9/2011, 11:15 PM
There is a secret to eating "wild" Catfish. If the fish has lived in murky (muddy) water, you need to clean it before you kill it.

Hillbilly taught me this one. He had an old bathtub in his yard. Fill it with water and put the fish in it. Put the hose in running fairly slow and leave it for at least two days, perhaps longer. If the overflow drain on the tub is too close to the top, cut another one and plug that one.

By running fresh water through the fish for a couple or three days, the muddy taste is gone.
YWIA.

Clean 'em just like sand bass.

Cut out the color and soak 'em in salt water for a day. Do that and they turn into little nuggets of gold.

And belly meat is orgasmic.

Sooner_Bob
2/9/2011, 11:15 PM

That place is packed on the weekends.

bikerdood
2/10/2011, 12:25 AM
...Like catfish??? Daves diner in newcastle... Or go a li'l farther west on 37 and south on 76 to Kt's smokehouse...Better by far than Catfish Cove...

SOONER44EVER
2/10/2011, 12:32 AM

Thats the best catfish I've ever had. Definitely worth the wait.

2/10/2011, 12:34 AM
i might have agreed..
before i started catching/eating blue catfish from kaw lake...
very good eating....and much more fun catching a 20-40 lb bluecat than an 8 ounce crappie....

walleye from canton still my favorite tho...Seems to me flatheads always taste good, regardless of what lake/river you get them from. They almost exclusively eat live critters, like a bass or crappie does.

StoopTroup
2/10/2011, 12:38 AM
I have a great carp recipe.

C&CDean
2/10/2011, 09:20 AM
yeah....if you consider antibiotics and medications and supplements "better" than the natural things they eat in a lake...

WTF are you talking about? They ain't beef cattle. "natural" things in the lake? Like rancid dead **** in the muck and mire on the bottom? Right.

On the farms, they feed them catfish food. It floats. The fish eat off the surface for the most part, and aren't dredging mud/algae/feces/scum off the bottom like they do in the lakes/rivers.

I don't have the patience to keep the fish alive a few days to clean them, and I'd rather catch crappie/bass/perch than cats any day. I filet the crappie and other fish without even knocking them in the head. They jump once when you cut down the gill line, then they just lay there and look at you. I've taken the carcasses wrapped in newspaper after fileting outside to the trash, and the next day, they're still moving. Kinda weird to think I already ate the sucker last night and he's still alive this morning - sorta.

olevetonahill
2/10/2011, 09:26 AM
I like the Crappie ,
Dean hit it On why Farm raised has a better taste than wild, Hell fer all you know the one you caught in the lake might have fed on the dude that drowned last week .:P

OUmillenium
2/10/2011, 01:39 PM

That was good stuff. Used to eat there in the mid90s.

87sooner
2/10/2011, 01:44 PM
I like the Crappie ,
Dean hit it On why Farm raised has a better taste than wild, Hell fer all you know the one you caught in the lake might have fed on the dude that drowned last week .:P

he missed completely...
has nothing to do with what they eat...
it's the quality of the water they live in....

2/10/2011, 02:04 PM
I've taken the carcasses wrapped in newspaper after fileting outside to the trash, and the next day, they're STILL MOVING. Kinda weird to think I already ate the sucker last night and he's still alive this morning - sorta. Oooh yeah, and what hallucinogen were you on at the time?

OULenexaman
2/10/2011, 02:20 PM
yep....that window pane **** lasts a long time...

C&CDean
2/10/2011, 02:25 PM
he missed completely...
has nothing to do with what they eat...
it's the quality of the water they live in....

I stand corrected. Actually it's a little closer to how much algae and the water temps more than what they eat. Good catch.

C&CDean
2/10/2011, 02:27 PM
yep....that window pane **** lasts a long time...

Heh.

Seriously, go filet you a crappie without bashing his head first (or cutting his head off or killing him somehow). Throw the carcass in a newspaper or just leave it in the sink for several hours. Come back and poke it. First, it'll still be following you with it's eye, and it's still doing the gill thing, and it's still flopping every so often. No acid needed, and not a flashback either.

GDC
2/10/2011, 02:40 PM
Oooh yeah, and what hallucinogen were you on at the time?

JKDtUzRIG6I

IB4OU2
2/10/2011, 02:42 PM

***? Iv'e never tasted it. :D

C&CDean
2/10/2011, 02:44 PM
You've never tossed a salad? C'mon man.

Sooner_Bob
2/10/2011, 03:20 PM

I believe that episode was on last night . . .

Pillmanj
2/20/2011, 05:25 PM
That was good stuff. Used to eat there in the mid90s.

I ate there once and had the ****s for a week.

Boomer.....
2/20/2011, 09:38 PM
I believe that episode was on last night . . .

We went up there Saterday night and tried it. Pretty good catfish but not blown away. BTW, there have already been two people who beat the record. Man vs Food guy ate 29 pieces. The new record is 37.

SanJoaquinSooner
2/20/2011, 10:30 PM
I fixed fish stew for dinner.

I used this recipe: http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/dads_fish_stew/

I added a diced leek and a thinly sliced carrot. Used red pepper flakes instead of tobasco. Had some whole grain crusty bread with it.

It was damned good -- we did not have any left over. Easy and quick to make.

I used halibut but I guess catfish would work.

OU_Sooners75
2/21/2011, 05:57 PM
A new franchise - I think it's a local deal - called Catfish Cove has opened two locations in the metro, one in Yukon, one in SW OKC.

fried catfish tenderloins, fried chicken, fried shrimp.
baked potato/sweet potato bar.
Beans, Fried okra, hushpuppies.
Salad bar.
Homemade vanilla ice cream, cobbler.

My son and I tried it, set us back about $15. As I mentioned the menu is simple but damn if that wasn't some of the best catfish & fixings I've ever had. Everything was really good. I ate WAY too much.

Anyone else tried it?

I haven't yet...but I pretty much live right around the corner from the one in Yukon. I have heard nothing but good word of mouth advertising for it.

SteelClip49
2/22/2011, 12:20 AM
Catfish Cove is nasty. But when I have had the best, McGehee's in Marietta, the bar has been raised because nothing can touch McGehee's!

SanJoaquinSooner
2/22/2011, 12:43 AM
I fixed fish stew for dinner.

I used this recipe: http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/dads_fish_stew/

I added a diced leek and a thinly sliced carrot. Used red pepper flakes instead of tobasco. Had some whole grain crusty bread with it.

It was damned good -- we did not have any left over. Easy and quick to make.

I used halibut but I guess catfish would work.

It was so damned good I fixed it again this evening, only I used shrimp instead of the halibut.

You type 2 diabetes folks know you shouldn't be eating breaded catfish, hushpuppies, fries, baked potatoes, ice cream and all that ****. You're poisoning yourself with an ultra-carb meal. Jesus have mercy on your blood glucose.

sooner59
2/22/2011, 01:27 AM
My parents say the place in Marietta is the best. I'm allergic to freshwater fish. It sucks, because all this talk sounds delicious. Doesn't stop me from catching them bastards, though. I just donate them to those who fry em up.

2/22/2011, 01:41 AM
My parents say the place in Marietta is the best. I'm allergic to freshwater fish. It sucks, because all this talk sounds delicious. Doesn't stop me from catching them bastards, though. I just donate them to those who fry em up.I've never heard of being allergic to freshwater fish. Pls. elaborate. thnx

sooner59
2/22/2011, 01:57 AM
I've never heard of being allergic to freshwater fish. Pls. elaborate. thnx

Yeah, its weird. When I was 3 or 4 years old, my parents gave me catfish or bass (they don't remember which), and I went all anaphylactic and had to be taken to the doctor for a shot of adrenaline or whatever. When I was around 8 or 9, we were curious and I tried crappie. Bad move, turned blue, couldn't breathe....back to the doctor for a shot in the ***. Had a bite of alligator at Papadeux's in Dallas and it was nearly to the point of emergency room, but I came out of it. I've never tried duck, crawfish, etc. because of the fear of that happening again.

Weird thing is...I can eat shellfish from the sea...or most anything really. Shrimp, lobster, crab, calamari, scallops, clams, etc. I have eaten canned tuna, canned salmon, fish sticks, and imitation crab (which is normally Alaskan Pollack). I haven't ever tried fresh seafood like ahi tuna, cedar plank salmon, mahi mahi, etc. I'm just being cautious I guess. I really want to go to the Allergy and Immunology department here at OUHSC and get tested to see if I can eat all seafood.

But yeah, I can't eat any of the freshwater fish...for reasons unknown. I am allergic to something in fresh water, maybe an enzyme, chemical, etc. I don't know. Its strange.

yankee
2/22/2011, 01:59 AM
Anyone know if Bobo's catfish is good? If it's anything like the chicken..........oh man. :)

2/22/2011, 02:14 AM
Yeah, its weird. When I was 3 or 4 years old, my parents gave me catfish or bass (they don't remember which), and I went all anaphylactic and had to be taken to the doctor for a shot of adrenaline or whatever. When I was around 8 or 9, we were curious and I tried crappie. Bad move, turned blue, couldn't breathe....back to the doctor for a shot in the ***. Had a bite of alligator at Papadeux's in Dallas and it was nearly to the point of emergency room, but I came out of it. I've never tried duck, crawfish, etc. because of the fear of that happening again.

Weird thing is...I can eat shellfish from the sea...or most anything really. Shrimp, lobster, crab, calamari, scallops, clams, etc. I have eaten canned tuna, canned salmon, fish sticks, and imitation crab (which is normally Alaskan Pollack). I haven't ever tried fresh seafood like ahi tuna, cedar plank salmon, mahi mahi, etc. I'm just being cautious I guess. I really want to go to the Allergy and Immunology department here at OUHSC and get tested to see if I can eat all seafood.

But yeah, I can't eat any of the freshwater fish...for reasons unknown. I am allergic to something in fresh water, maybe an enzyme, chemical, etc. I don't know. Its strange.I'm surprised I haven't turned into a freshwater fish...and or a saltwater fish. I love fish and all water creatures, fresh and salt. It would break my heart to develop allergies to those delicious morsels.

sooner59
2/22/2011, 02:35 AM
Yeah I hate not being able to eat catfish, bass, crappie, etc. Whenever we have a fish fry I have to fix something else. Smells and looks awesome. But I can't even eat something fried in the same oil as fish. I have to be careful when ordering at places that that have fried fish. It's annoying.

Boarder
3/13/2011, 09:54 PM
My mom and dad went and told me it was good so we tried it tonight. Holy crap it was delicious. If you don't like it I'm very sad for you. Its not gourmet, it's fried country type food. A few comments:

Catfish was delicious and didn't have any of the bitter fatty crap you get sometimes. It tasted hand breaded and the cornmeal breading was delicious.

Fried shrimp was big and really good

Chicken tenders were cut up pieces of chicken brea were hand breaded. Very good, especially for buffet

Corn had a ton of butter and it seemed had cream cheese. Delicious.

Fries were hand cut and replaced very frequently to remain fresh.

Coleslaw was good, didn't care for the broccoli salad. Didn't try a baked potato. Boiled shrimp was ok. Love those corn nuggets. Homemade ice cream was great and I didn't even have cobbler. I really don't know what more you could ask from a restaurant of this type. Everything was fried but not greasy. The meats were not fatty and cheap tasting. It seemed homemade rather than frozen. It was very tasty.

I feel like total crap for eating so much fried food. It's the first time in many months or years that I have eaten that much. Sure was good, though. I'll pay for it later.