PDA

View Full Version : The Deer are playing

olevetonahill
2/9/2011, 09:22 AM
Sitting here drankin coffee watching the deer play with their food
7 of em out there chasing each other around , Lettin the Big black birds skeer em , Funny as hell

Since this weather started this past week Ive put out almost 150 lbs of corn . They piglets, This snow aint fazing em hell their backs are covered with it :D

OKLA21FAN
2/9/2011, 09:41 AM
lock and load......... :pop:

olevetonahill
2/9/2011, 09:58 AM
lock and load......... :pop:

How many times i got to say, I only Kill what pizzes me off, and 4 legged critters dont.
Two legged ? Hell yes ;)

XFollower
2/9/2011, 10:51 AM
This thread sucks without pics.

soonercruiser
2/9/2011, 02:32 PM
Got to always have a little venison in the freezer?
And, deer racks make such good coat racks!
Sure is easier than killin' a buffalo these days. :rolleyes:

OUthunder
2/9/2011, 03:49 PM
Vet still takes pics with an old Polaroid.

olevetonahill
2/9/2011, 05:02 PM
After the 7 left the 8 pointer came to feed, The ****ing Black nbirds kept him skeered away and he left. Then the dayum Birds cleaned out the feeder .
Guess I will wait to refill it till this snow melts.

salth2o
2/9/2011, 05:07 PM
Since ya' ain't into killin' the critters, ya' oughtta feed em some protein in the Spring and Summer to enhance their racks. Erry body loves large racks.

olevetonahill
2/9/2011, 05:28 PM
I keep a mineral block out there fer em

soonercruiser
2/9/2011, 07:06 PM
Since ya' ain't into killin' the critters, ya' oughtta feed em some protein in the Spring and Summer to enhance their racks. Erry body loves large racks.

That would be hormone blocks!
:D

soonerchk
2/9/2011, 08:48 PM
I apparently have a rodent in my garage. Not nearly as fun as deer.

olevetonahill
2/9/2011, 08:59 PM
get a Cat ;)

soonerchk
2/9/2011, 09:01 PM
I have one. I'm just not yet sure if he's bigger than the rodent in question.

olevetonahill
2/9/2011, 09:12 PM
:D

Leroy Lizard
2/10/2011, 12:13 AM
Sitting here drankin coffee watching the deer play with their food

http://www.thatsfab.net/logo.jpg

olevetonahill
2/10/2011, 09:15 AM
Limptard , you are one weird Mother ****er :rolleyes:

King Crimson
2/10/2011, 09:17 AM
i saw a deer jump a chain link fence the other day. effortless, about a 8 foot fence......boom, over. kinda looked around like it was nothing.

pretty impressive.

olevetonahill
2/10/2011, 09:20 AM
i saw a deer jump a chain link fence the other day. effortless, about a 8 foot fence......boom, over. kinda looked around like it was nothing.

pretty impressive.

Yup, I love watchin em, just about dark the 6 pointer came to eat and there wernt nuting left, The otheres and those ****ing Black birds had cleaned it up. He did stay around long enough to Paw the ground up an im sure get a little corn

King Crimson
2/10/2011, 09:26 AM
Yup, I love watchin em, just about dark the 6 pointer came to eat and there wernt nuting left, The otheres and those ****ing Black birds had cleaned it up. He did stay around long enough to Paw the ground up an im sure get a little corn

back in the day, when i was reading the Communist Manifesto, hating fruitlessly on Reagan and rocking Syd Barrett solo LP's, and not working because that's beneath me.....i used to take this trail just west of town up into the hills and always this same group of deer. the same group of males and females would get protective but they didn't see me as a threat. they'd let you get real close. kinda cool. big animals.

texaspokieokie
2/10/2011, 09:27 AM
My sister lives in a small town (Plover) in WI,& she sent me a pic of 5 or 6 deer in her back yard.
In town.

olevetonahill
2/10/2011, 09:31 AM
back in the day, when i was reading the Communist Manifesto, hating fruitlessly on Reagan and rocking Syd Barrett solo LP's, and not working because that's beneath me.....i used to take this trail just west of town up into the hills and always this same group of deer. the same group of males and females would get protective but they didn't see me as a threat. they'd let you get real close. kinda cool. big animals.

Out there ya gots the Mule Deer they are some dayum big deer

My sister lives in a small town (Plover) in WI,& she sent me a pic of 5 or 6 deer in her back yard.
In town.

Post it, If I ever get a Game Cam . Ill be posting pics of these.

texaspokieokie
2/10/2011, 09:32 AM
don't know what i did with it, & (hate to admit it), i don't know how.

olevetonahill
2/10/2011, 09:34 AM
don't know what i did with it, & (hate to admit it), i don't know how.

Hell If Dean can Post Pics any idiot can :D
Go to the FAQ and it will tell ya how,

texaspokieokie
2/10/2011, 09:35 AM
i'll check it out.

C&CDean
2/10/2011, 09:40 AM

:rolleyes:

I'm sure you've probably seen those big fences they build around hay stacks out west of Boulder in the mountains? They have to build them like 15 feet tall to keep the elk/mulies out. And you're right, watching a deer or elk effortlessly leap over a fence (or a pick-up one night when I was driving between Kremmeling and Steamboat - sucker completely cleared my truck and I was going about 70 mph) is very cool.

I watch them on the ranch almost daily, and sometimes they'll stand there at the barbwire fences, look around, then just kind of spring straight in the air and go over the fence (maybe 5-foot or so) without any effort at all. It's cool to watch the fawns crawl under/through the fences, then every so often face-plant right into a fence trying to jump it.

I was hunting on a fence line this year and a couple does with half-grown fawns came out of the woods maybe 20 yards from me. The does take off running and cleared the fence by about 3 feet, one of the fawns went under, and the other tried to follow the does. It lept about 8 feet too soon and landed right on the fence. It bounced backward, did it again, and finally, on the third try it made it over. It was very cool.

King Crimson
2/10/2011, 09:57 AM
i like that area near Steamboat. Rabbit Ears Pass can be ugly though. i had a gf from Atlanta whose dad had a place in Steamboat. i used to love to go up there in the summers and mooch off her in my nanny state style. do drugs, have sex. to quote the Kinks, where did all the good times go?

summit county sucks out loud.

olevetonahill
2/10/2011, 10:02 AM
Yup Dean I really enjoy watchin the fawns and the yearlings they do some funny ****,

Had that big old 10 pointer eating at the feeder a while back and one of the yearlings was wantin to eat to. The Buck dint run it off like he did the other bucks, Kinda was just patient with it ,
Anyway the 10 point had his head down eatin and the fawn was tgrying to figure out how to get to the corn cause his Horns had the area covered . Finally the fawn just turned his head side ways and snuck up under the horns and went to eatin sideways . Funny as hell to me.

Mississippi Sooner
2/10/2011, 10:09 AM
I just spent the last ten minutes watching a group of five deer frolicking around in the snow in the field outside my office window. Shows just how unusually quiet it is around here this morning.

olevetonahill
2/10/2011, 10:13 AM
Hopefully this snow will be gone by tonight or tomorrow at the latest, I wont fill the feeder up again till it is cause those ****in Black birds are just swarming it.
They dont come around till theres ice or snow covering the ground

C&CDean
2/10/2011, 10:22 AM
i like that area near Steamboat. Rabbit Ears Pass can be ugly though. i had a gf from Atlanta whose dad had a place in Steamboat. i used to love to go up there in the summers and mooch off her in my nanny state style. do drugs, have sex. to quote the Kinks, where did all the good times go?

summit county sucks out loud.

I've killed three elk and a mulie just South of Rabbit Ears (Indian Creek). The first elk I shot up there was on 9/15/01 - four days after 9/11. I found out about 9/11 when I took the carcass into Walden. Pretty weird.

olevetonahill
2/10/2011, 12:01 PM
Heh , Just found one side of the 10 pointers antlers out by the feeder, Gonna go see if I can find the rest here in a few :cool:

salth2o
2/10/2011, 01:34 PM
Heh , Just found one side of the 10 pointers antlers out by the feeder, Gonna go see if I can find the rest here in a few :cool:

WWOP's!

Throw 'em some protein (soy beans, cottonseed, rice bran) or plant some braccisas their racks will thank you.

olevetonahill
2/10/2011, 01:36 PM
WWOP's!

Throw 'em some protein (soy beans, cottonseed, rice bran) or plant some braccisas their racks will thank you.

Just got back in , walked about 75 yrds in the directions the tracks went dint see anymore

soonercruiser
2/10/2011, 04:18 PM

Must be some BIG BIRDS!

soonerbrat
2/10/2011, 04:27 PM
as soon as i read the title of this thread, I knew you were feeding the deer, OV.

swardboy
2/11/2011, 06:46 AM
....and the antelope too?

Sooner_Bob
2/11/2011, 08:21 AM

I'm sure you've probably seen those big fences they build around hay stacks out west of Boulder in the mountains? They have to build them like 15 feet tall to keep the elk/mulies out. And you're right, watching a deer or elk effortlessly leap over a fence (or a pick-up one night when I was driving between Kremmeling and Steamboat - sucker completely cleared my truck and I was going about 70 mph) is very cool.

I watch them on the ranch almost daily, and sometimes they'll stand there at the barbwire fences, look around, then just kind of spring straight in the air and go over the fence (maybe 5-foot or so) without any effort at all. It's cool to watch the fawns crawl under/through the fences, then every so often face-plant right into a fence trying to jump it.

I was hunting on a fence line this year and a couple does with half-grown fawns came out of the woods maybe 20 yards from me. The does take off running and cleared the fence by about 3 feet, one of the fawns went under, and the other tried to follow the does. It lept about 8 feet too soon and landed right on the fence. It bounced backward, did it again, and finally, on the third try it made it over. It was very cool.

I used to drive by a mule deer preserve on my way to and from work everyday when I lived in NM. Talk about "nice racks". :D

Sooner_Bob
2/11/2011, 08:22 AM

Sweet.

soonerbrat
2/11/2011, 08:35 AM

and then you shot them.

olevetonahill
2/11/2011, 09:25 AM
Sweet.

Heh, It has a few battle scars. :cool:

King Crimson
2/11/2011, 12:10 PM

the other thing you see here is the deer come down into town and feed along Boulder Creek, pizza crusts, potato chips and other student waste.....and some guy with his dog will let the dog off the leash to chase the deer. the deer, mildly annoyed by the clumsy retriever, will run at full speed for about 100 yards along the creek bed. it's about 14 inches of space between the water and trees....and they fly down the creek bed. it's pretty amazing.....the dog is slopping around in the water trying poorly to give chase. and then there are a series of trails that go straight up the bluff and deer will take one and just disappear. boom, gone. you see foxes do this too. dog will chase, the fox is like....really? runs for a bit, loses the dog, and is gone. dog has no chance.