PDA

View Full Version : Who recovers faster: Florida or Whorns?

Soonermagik
2/8/2011, 01:20 PM
I'll say Florida. I think Muschamp is eager to prove he wasn't the problem in Austin. With that said, I think the best team in the state of Florida will be FSU for the next 3-4 years. I don't think Florida will be a national title type team for several years.

The whorns have a ton of problems. Plus, they replaced almost everyone on their staff. Not to mention, they don't appear to have a legit QB. Since Earl Thomas, Kindle, McCoy & Shipley left they have done a bad job on evaluating talent. The above listed players are the reason they got to the national title that year. Since that time they have really slipped up. If Brown has a similar record this year he will be on the hot seat. If it happens the year after he will be fired.

sperry
2/8/2011, 01:34 PM
Both are a QB away from being a good team.

Mad Dog Madsen
2/8/2011, 01:42 PM
Both of them will do fine this year and win at least 9 games.

StoopTroup
2/8/2011, 01:49 PM
Who cares if either of them do?

KantoSooner
2/8/2011, 01:56 PM
You may be right, but I'll take the opposite side: I think Mudchump WAS the problem at UT last year. He was the No. 2 guy, so maybe when he gets the head man's hat, it all goes away, but I suspect that it takes him a while to figure out how to build and lead a team rather than just jumping around on the sideline and acting like an unparented three year old.

soonerboy_odanorth
2/8/2011, 02:31 PM
Charlie Weis is FU's new OC. That arrogant pee-arr-I-cee-kay will PO alums, admin, coaching staff, players and recruits. And I don't care what the stats say, Muschumps D I thought was equal partner in last year's 5-7... and that was with an all-world secondary (according to the scribes and Tejanos) returning. I'm not convinced he's all that and a bag-o-chips.

I'll say Texas rights the ship faster.... Getting rid of the internal bickering for UT I think will go further in the short term than FU's staff trying to find chemistry.. especially vs. Big XII-II competition rather than SEC.

sooner59
2/8/2011, 02:54 PM
The SEC is faster at everything, even recovering! :D

OULenexaman
2/8/2011, 03:01 PM
if it's Florida then Mack will pout.....

tcrb
2/8/2011, 03:53 PM
Who cares if either of them do?

I was thinking the same thing.

kevpks
2/8/2011, 04:38 PM
Recover? Texas is right where they belong after a few years of overachieving.

ouduckhunter
2/8/2011, 05:01 PM

I think this sums it up nicely! * Sucs!

BoulderSooner79
2/8/2011, 05:18 PM
We play the horns this year, so that the only team that matters (unless we happen to get UF in a bowl game). I vote we just beat the horns and move on to other issues.

Breadburner
2/8/2011, 05:30 PM
Gaytors....

Jacie
2/8/2011, 06:41 PM
Some similarities in the way 2010 went for these two. Both had disappointing seasons. Both tried and failed to find an adequate replacement for a four-year starter at QB. Both faced some controversy with their coach(es). Now both enter 2011 as question marks. However, in both instances, it isn't a matter of the athletes, they have those but it will be in building and leading a team is where both schools must show improvement.

While both schools added coaches, the returning whorns will have to get used to new coordinators, gators will also have to deal with a new head coach.

Can Muschamp be successful as a head coach? I have compared him to Dave Wannstedt based on his sideline demeanor, very excitable, and imo, too emotional. A head coach should lead, not jump around, flailing his arms and screaming the whole time. Maybe Will can tone it down now but it remains to be seen. His saving grace will be his assistants, the coordinators.

Someone doesn't like Charlie Weis but there is a reason he got the Notre Dame job and I think coordinator is the position where he excels.

At sa*et, Mack has let his assistants do their thing. He brought in some high profile guys to take over his offense and defense so I don't see him changing his management style now. The consensus opinion is that replacing Greg Davis at OC will lead to a huge improvement in the offense, with players used in schemes to fit their style and less predictable play calling. On defense, whorns felt Muschamp fielded a good unit but his replacement on paper is a good hire.

I don't see sa*et being 5-7 bad again. Florida didn't sink that low but I think the whorns rebound higher than the gators in 2011.

badger
2/8/2011, 06:49 PM
Some similarities in the way 2010 went for these two. Both had disappointing seasons. Both tried and failed to find an adequate replacement for a four-year starter at QB.

Technically, Rev. Missionary Circumcision was only a three-year starter. Chris Leak was the starter his froshie year, even if they brought him in for some goal line runs... kind of like what he's doing now for Denver.

sendbaht
2/8/2011, 06:59 PM
texas is in a bad funk. there was no reason for them to lose all those games. (but gosh it was great) they will be in this funk again. this time it will be blamed on "we have all new coaches" they go 6 6 and win the independence bowl, they feel on top of the world. But, Mac gets fired so they have another excuse for the following year, "we have a new head coach" this goes on for years and years. Sit back enjoy the show, I know I will.:))

go4eight
2/8/2011, 07:56 PM
I have seen alot of posters on this site & other sites that were all giddy about the shorthorns & the down year they had with all the coaching changes.(me included)I think that the shorthorns will recover faster than gaterbait will,but i hope OU & staff is ready for what they will face not next year but in 2 years from Texas.(I think they are a QB away from being good)That said Texas sucks!!Go Sooners!!!!!!!

jumperstop
2/8/2011, 08:00 PM
I have seen alot of posters on this site & other sites that were all giddy about the shorthorns & the down year they had with all the coaching changes.(me included)I think that the shorthorns will recover faster than gaterbait will,but i hope OU & staff is ready for what they will face not next year but in 2 years from Texas.(I think they are a QB away from being good)That said Texas sucks!!Go Sooners!!!!!!!

QB was a major problem for them last year, not the problem...

JLEW1818
2/8/2011, 08:34 PM
Charlie Weis is one of the best OC in the world

AlboSooner
2/8/2011, 08:55 PM
Florida has a tougher conference schedule. Bama, LSU, Arkie, Auburn and Tenn will be very good.

Soonermagik
2/8/2011, 09:01 PM
Florida has a tougher conference schedule. Bama, LSU, Arkie, Auburn and Tenn will be very good.

Arkie- Lost QB
Auburn- Lost QB, DT Fairley and a lot of defensive players
Bama- Lost QB, Julio Jones & Mark Ingram
Tenn- I'll believe it when I see it
LSU- Will be a challenge as they will be the best team in the SEC

For the 1st time in 4-5 years the SEC will be down.

StoopTroup
2/8/2011, 09:03 PM

They usually really such for 2-3 years in a row and then suddenly pull off a winning Season. I don't think they are done falling....I haven't heard a thump yet?

Desert Sapper
2/9/2011, 09:50 AM
UF is an extremely talented team. They may have the second best recruiting in the SEC behind Bama. Muschamp reminds me of Mike Stoops. Weis is widely regarded as one of, if not the best NFL OC (see Chiefs last year). If the gaytors find a QB that can play, they will be excellent.

UT is also very talented and has recruited better than anybody in the Big XII (including us...just look at how many recruiting battles we lost to them over the last 4-5 years). They hired some big names, and Mack has had some success with introducing new coordinators. It's a stretch to say he will be successful with an all new coaching staff. We shall see.

Bottom line is that both teams had some close losses last year that could go the other way this year. Both teams have QBs with last year's experience. Both teams should be 9 wins or better this year (barring something unforeseen). Neither team will go to the BCS.

That being said, I pick UF for the more successful year.

ouwasp
2/9/2011, 10:39 AM
Gut response: tex will bounce back first, imo...mainly because it's what I don't want to happen... so logic usually dictates that is the course which will likely occur. I need to work on unwishful thinking...

BoulderSooner79
2/9/2011, 11:13 AM
Brown is the type to delegate to his coordinators, so he is not changing roles. Both his new OC and DC are keeping their roles they had at smaller profile schools. Muschamp must make the transition from DC to HC and history tells us that is no sure success. I'd say the risk of failure is higher at UF, but both teams face uncertainty. Longer term, the stakes are higher at UF because they do not have the built in recruiting that the horns enjoy. Kids in Fla. could easily start looking at FSU or Miami or even other SEC schools if there is trouble in Gainsville.

badger
2/9/2011, 11:32 AM
Muschamp reminds me of Mike Stoops.

I know Mikey would do better if he had a big established program like Florida, but I really think Mike did better as our Defensive Coordinator than as a head coach... and yeah, I miss him and want him back :O

I wonder if whorns will say something similar about "Coach Boom" a few years from now.

Sabanball
2/10/2011, 04:27 PM
I think both will recover, but UT will do it quicker. UF's season next year will hinge on how they navigate the 'Amen Corner' of their schedule (3wk period in Oct when they play Bama, @LSU, @Auburn in succession), and that will be more difficult than what the Whorns have to face.

EatLeadCommie
2/10/2011, 04:31 PM
Texas. Mack has done it before. In a few years, Texas will be glad that they didn't have Muschamp as their HC.

stoopified
2/10/2011, 05:18 PM
My vote is neither,I want to see the suckage continue for a decade for both.If pushed though I would say the Gators as they only fll to 8-5 while UT dropped to 5-7.