PDA

View Full Version : When Bob Stoops and OU changed

BigRed47
2/7/2011, 09:46 PM
That day was November 8, 2003. Does anyone remember what happened on that day. OU trashed aTm 77-0 on national TV. Remember what happened shortly after. Mike Lupica's article and other articles about how Bob Stoops rubbed it in. OU was leading 49-0 at the half and didn't play Jason at all in the 2nd half. The second and third team with the defense scored 28 points in the 3rd quarter and OU took a knee deep in aTm territory in the 4th quarter. Well, OU up to that point under Stoops was 53-9 for a .854 record. Since then OU is 76-22 for a .775 record. Still, not bad but I think Bob may have taken too much of the criticism to heart. Seems that OU up to that time had a killer instinct that seemed to disappear 3 weeks later in the Big12 CG against Kansas State. I think it really had a profound effect on Bob and maybe the coaching staff in general. Now .775 isn't bad but that means in a 12 game season you are going to be 9-3. That is not good enough if you want to win a NC. What does everyone else think?

Mike Stoops
2/7/2011, 09:59 PM
I think the guy I'm named after had a profound effect on Bob when he left. I think Mike brought out the best in Bob. They were both passionate guys who would argue with each other if they believed in something. Iron sharpens iron. Now, there's no one on the staff like that. They all owe their jobs to Bob. Also, I think all of the in-house promoting contributes to a club atmosphere.

BigRed47
2/7/2011, 10:46 PM
I think the guy I'm named after had a profound effect on Bob when he left. I think Mike brought out the best in Bob. They were both passionate guys who would argue with each other if they believed in something. Iron sharpens iron. Now, there's no one on the staff like that. They all owe their jobs to Bob. Also, I think all of the in-house promoting contributes to a club atmosphere.

Can't really argue with you on this. I think you have very valid point. Yes, when Mike left I think some fire left with him. I think that he and Bob together made a difference. Maybe the combination of these two things had an effect since Mike left for Arizona just two weeks after the aTm game.

In some ways a like the in-house promoting as it gives continuity to the program. Seems like when they do hire from outside they find someone who fits in with their scheme of things.

Mike Stoops
2/7/2011, 10:58 PM
I think also the 2003 Big 12 Championship Game had a psychological effect on Bob. He had success so early and was used to winning big games I think it shocked him that he could be humiliated like that. I think he lost some confidence and naturally it spread to the players. Hence, five straight BCS bowl losses.

Leroy Lizard
2/7/2011, 11:09 PM
I would certainly think the outcome of a blowout loss would affect our coach more than what some reporter writes.

OUmillenium
2/7/2011, 11:20 PM
Certainly, no question

Leroy Lizard
2/7/2011, 11:24 PM
I see what you did there.

OUEngr1990
2/7/2011, 11:34 PM
I think the aggies put a curse on us after the 77-0 beatdown.

retnuH03
2/8/2011, 12:03 AM
When we were rebuilding our program we played with intensity and loose and like we had nothing to lose. It seems we have gotten conservative and we are playing not to lose. Maybe it is natural for that to happen but when Mike left it seems like some intensity and gutsy play left also. Maybe some attitude too. I can't criticize Bob for thinking he knows best but some part of me thinks we played best when we thought we were being disrespected and our backs were against the wall.

SoonerDood
2/8/2011, 12:09 AM
I think the aggies put a curse on us after the 77-0 beatdown.

Yes the Aggies put a curse on us to allow us to beat them 6 more times in a row:rolleyes:

JLEW1818
2/8/2011, 12:17 AM
Wow this is a new one for offseason talk.

delhalew
2/8/2011, 12:20 AM

This is probably true. Consider, however, the unparalleled continuity our program has enjoyed even as coordinators move on to greener pastures.

I challenge you to find another program that has stayed at the level that Oklahoma football has during Bobs tenure. Most programs slip into temporary upheaval during rebuilding and coordinator changes.

Maybe Bob lost a little bit of his sharp edge, but he is as solid a winner as there is.

When he was a young coach, his fire may have won it for him. Eventually his experience will win it for him again.

JLEW1818
2/8/2011, 12:22 AM
Stoops sucks. Taking knees against aggie in 2003 was more significant than the USC *** kicking
Lol come on now, it's only February

Mike Stoops
2/8/2011, 12:38 AM
Man we had a hell of a run from 2000-2005. A national title, our first Rose Bowl, beating Texas 5 straight years. That was a great ride.

picasso
2/8/2011, 12:39 AM

I agree. Mike brought out the best in Bob against the pokes in '01 and '02.

SoonerDood
2/8/2011, 12:41 AM
Man we had a hell of a run from 2000-2005. A national title, our first Rose Bowl, beating Texas 5 straight years. That was a great ride.

Yeah we've had a great run since then too. Some people don't appreciate it.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
2/8/2011, 12:41 AM
Lots of plausible speculation in this thread. Of course, we've seen threads like this before, but the points have been well made here. I find it hard to believe somebody one-starred it.

itsok
2/8/2011, 12:42 AM
we played for the NC in 2004 after Mike left, we went back in 2008 with the best offensive stats ever in a season, we are looking pretty good for next year...so things are not too bad, I do agree that the defense sometimes is not at dominant, I loved the defenses from 2000 to 2003...we are due another title within 5 years...

Curly Bill
2/8/2011, 12:56 AM
Lots of plausible speculation in this thread. Of course, we've seen threads like this before, but the points have been well made here. I find it hard to believe somebody one-starred it.

Now go look. :D

agoo758
2/8/2011, 01:08 AM
Stoops could win the next 20 national championships and all people would be talking about are the 5 bcs losses from 2003-2008.

unbiasedtruth
2/8/2011, 01:12 AM
Jason White did play the 1st series of the 3rd quarter.

Also I remember Bob, not taking a knee in the 4th several times against the aggies inside their 10. One time in particular an aggie DT made a stop on a 4th and goal from the 3 or something and he did the "gravedigger" move back to the sideline. Dennis Franchonie met him coming off the field, grabbed his facemask and turned the kid around chewing his butt out while pointing the kid to the southend scoreboard making the kid look at 77 for OU, 0 for a&m.

Also in the 4th qtr, Stoops chewed a running back out because the score was 77-0 and this guy (as all plays at that time were runs between the tackles), busted it outside and darn neared scored.

Mike Stoops
2/8/2011, 01:25 AM
Yeah we've had a great run since then too. Some people don't appreciate it.

Bob Stoops is a great coach but he's not above criticism. I'm a fan of OU football. Bob Stoops is the temporary caretaker of OU football. When he does well I say so. If I disagree with something he does, I say so. He's not a personal friend of mine. Or yours.

texaspokieokie
2/8/2011, 09:44 AM
That day was November 8, 2003. Does anyone remember what happened on that day. OU trashed aTm 77-0 on national TV. Remember what happened shortly after. Mike moron reporter who criticizes things he doesn't know about's article and other articles about how Bob Stoops rubbed it in. OU was leading 49-0 at the half and didn't play Jason at all in the 2nd half. The second and third team with the defense scored 28 points in the 3rd quarter and OU took a knee deep in aTm territory in the 4th quarter. Well, OU up to that point under Stoops was 53-9 for a .854 record. Since then OU is 76-22 for a .775 record. Still, not bad but I think Bob may have taken too much of the criticism to heart. Seems that OU up to that time had a killer instinct that seemed to disappear 3 weeks later in the Big12 CG against Kansas State. I think it really had a profound effect on Bob and maybe the coaching staff in general. Now .775 isn't bad but that means in a 12 game season you are going to be 9-3. That is not good enough if you want to win a NC. What does everyone else think?

if he took all that criticism to heart, how to account for the 5 game streak of 60+ ppg in 2008. (or whenever)

1890MilesToNorman
2/8/2011, 09:50 AM
When I get my flux capacitor fixed I'll go take care of this!

sooneron
2/8/2011, 09:55 AM
if he took all that criticism to heart, how to account for the 5 game streak of 60+ ppg in 2008. (or whenever)

^This

tcrb
2/8/2011, 09:57 AM

Man, I wish you'd hurry up! And once you've fixed things here, could you take a look at the US economy and see what you can do? And after that, maybe work on that crap in the middle east???? Thanks! :D :pop:

JLEW1818
2/8/2011, 09:59 AM
Sure some good points have been made... I'm just surprised so many think that a 77-0 beat down lost stoops dong.

The year after Mike left we shutout the longhorns.

The big 12 passes the ball more and more each year... football passes more each year... Officials are more strict every year on the secondary.... Points are going to continue to increase... Football favors offense more and more each year

sooneron
2/8/2011, 09:59 AM
The loss in KC in 03 can really be attributed to 3 factors. Thinking that lupica skeered Bob is silly.

1.) Team reading its own press clippings as the greatest evar.
2.) Mike interviews, Brent puts in gameplan, Mike comes back changes gameplan MIDWEEK and confusion ensues.
3.) Snyder had his team tee off on JW, because we had a limited running game.

Lose to lsu one month later due to JW barely being able to throw the ball.

edit: and I won't even address the last drive and the play calling.

sooneron
2/8/2011, 10:03 AM
And speaking to TGOWWDNS, I kept hearing Bob say how they had changed their entire approach heading into the game leading up to it. Was what happened such a disaster to change everything? It was obvious that he was thinking too much about attitude and not mixing up schemes, as Norm Chow was laughing in the press box.

KantoSooner
2/8/2011, 10:05 AM

my advice to you is to get rid of that old thing and step up to the brand new 'Mr. Fusion'.
Far lower maintenance.

sooneron
2/8/2011, 10:08 AM
All you need is garbage.

KantoSooner
2/8/2011, 10:30 AM
And your exhaust smells like french fries!

MsProudSooner
2/8/2011, 11:28 AM
Flux whatever is out of date. You need a 2011 model Tardis.

TMcGee86
2/8/2011, 11:58 AM
I do think that game had an effect on that season. It wasn't anyone's fault but it was as though the team looked around and thought wow, we are the greatest football team ever, now what? Only problem was we still had meaningful games left to play. We peaked too early that year.

But I think any ill-effects were limited to that season. But I will agree, I think that game was the turning point of that season. Nothing good came of it.

BoulderSooner79
2/8/2011, 12:00 PM
All you need is garbage.

Plenty of fuel here.

picasso
2/8/2011, 12:23 PM
The loss in KC in 03 can really be attributed to 3 factors. Thinking that moron reporter who criticizes things he doesn't know about skeered Bob is silly.

2.) Mike interviews, Brent puts in gameplan, Mike comes back changes gameplan MIDWEEK and confusion ensues.

Well said!

Mike Stoops regenerated our defense but he wasn't perfect. Some of his squads are still getting smoked by the play action pass.

I do miss the days when he would cuss out anyone who came off the field. And old ladies in the crowd.

SoonerMom2
2/8/2011, 01:04 PM
We started a new string of Bowl victories at the Sun Bowl, added a BCS Fiesta Bowl title on January 1st and now time to add the the National Championship trophy in 2012.

StoopTroup
2/8/2011, 01:48 PM
I seem to remember losing a few players over the years. I think that had an impact. Also...I think not changing our Head Coach every 3-4 years has helped keep the killer attitude that some of you who don't seem to remember the late 80's and all of the 1990s.....think has gone.

The 2008 Season...we had two losses. Those losses came to two teams who had QBs sitting next to Sam Bradford at the Heisman Trophy Presentation in which he won. To think we didn't have a great Team that year is insane. texas, Florida and OU were all very good that year. We played a great 1st half against Florida in the Title Game...Florida pulled out another one of those 4th Quarters they were known for that night. I still think we could have beaten them 2 outta 3 attempts.

OUEngr1990
2/8/2011, 02:10 PM
Yes the Aggies put a curse on us to allow us to beat them 6 more times in a row:rolleyes:

You obviously don't know how the aggies think:D yes, not logical, but that is aggie...

Salt City Sooner
2/8/2011, 03:20 PM
The loss in KC in 03 can really be attributed to 3 factors. Thinking that moron reporter who criticizes things he doesn't know about skeered Bob is silly.

I'd add a 4th one, that being that leading up to the CCG, every tom, dick & harry within earshot was saying that OU did not have to win that game in order to get to New Orleans. You'll never convince me that that notion wasn't in the guys' heads that night in KC.

sooneron
2/10/2011, 10:37 AM
I'd add a 4th one, that being that leading up to the CCG, every tom, dick & harry within earshot was saying that OU did not have to win that game in order to get to New Orleans. You'll never convince me that that notion wasn't in the guys' heads that night in KC.

Good point!

OUEngr1990
2/10/2011, 02:05 PM
I can imagine if someone told me I didn't have to show up one whole week to get my paycheck at the end of the week, I probably wouldn't be very motivated either...

stoopified
2/10/2011, 05:15 PM
OU laid the hammer on people in 2008 going down the stretch.

SoonerinSouthlake
2/10/2011, 06:24 PM
OU laid the hammer on people in 2008 going down the stretch.

and got blasted for running up the score.

I think that game against A&M or reports done thereafter had nothing AT AL to do with the way Stoops operates

texaspokieokie
2/10/2011, 06:46 PM
i kinda think Stoops enjoys lop-sided games.

AZSOONER
2/10/2011, 06:46 PM

I agree. I think we beat lsu for our 2nd national title if Mike stays.

AZSOONER
2/10/2011, 06:49 PM
As far as not scoring on teams go back to the 2008 season and see how many times during the regular season we scored less than 35 points in a game. (none)

Mike Stoops
2/10/2011, 06:59 PM

Stoops loves running that sucker up and I do too. I don't think he'd do it to Spurrier or any of his brothers and maybe not Saban because I've read that he and Nick have become close the last few years but everyone else is fair game.

Soonerman08
2/10/2011, 08:26 PM

So we don't allow them 21 points if Mike stays? I think the offense was what lost us that game.

boomermagic
2/10/2011, 10:49 PM
The usc game was the straw... After that I had a feeling we wouldn't win a NC for many years.. I posted shortly after that loss that we had problems and it wasn't just on the field it was also coaching.. I think now everyone agrees that we were BADLY out coached that night but if they don't they are wrong.

It wasn't JUST during the game we weren't prepared and that is a coaching responsibility.. That, IMO was the worst loss OU has suffered[Because of the big stage} in my almost 50 years of following the Sooners.. Now, I give Bob his due when he deserves it but he makes the big NO THE HUGE bucks and he should see that that doesn't happen in the fashion it happened that night.. Bob at times does a great job but I am not one of the STOOPS IS GOD guys nor am I someone who wants him fired but It is time we win a NC..

JLEW1818
2/10/2011, 11:04 PM
Mike's D looked super against Okie St last december.

boomermagic
2/10/2011, 11:13 PM
Mike's D looked super against Okie St last december.

There were times Venables D didn't look so hot against osu last season.. Damn they scored what? 40 on us ? I know the offense didn't score all of the 40.. Our offense won that game..

boomermagic
2/10/2011, 11:15 PM

Probably

boomermagic
2/10/2011, 11:17 PM
So we don't allow them 21 points if Mike stays? I think the offense was what lost us that game.

Different defense but a Mike coached D didn't allow any points by the number ONE offense in the 2000 NC game..

Mike Stoops
2/10/2011, 11:44 PM
Different defense but a Mike coached D didn't allow any points by the number ONE offense in the 2000 NC game..

Correct. The only shutout I've ever seen in a NC game. If we didn't give up that safety at the end it would have been a true shutout. That game was just a defensive work of art. Torrance Marshall set the tone early at the coin toss telling the FSU QB "You got my boys trophy." Lol! Makes me wanna pop the DVD in right now.

boomermagic
2/10/2011, 11:55 PM
Correct. The only shutout I've ever seen in a NC game. If we didn't give up that safety at the end it would have been a true shutout. That game was just a defensive work of art. Torrance Marshall set the tone early at the coin toss telling the FSU QB "You got my boys trophy." Lol! Makes me wanna pop the DVD in right now.

Bowden said after the game I STILL DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY WERE DOING
Talking about OU's defense.. I've never seen a better prepared or coached defense in a HUGE BIG STAGE game..

Mike Stoops
2/11/2011, 12:10 AM
Bowden said after the game I STILL DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY WERE DOING
Talking about OU's defense.. I've never seen a better prepared or coached defense in a HUGE BIG STAGE game..

FSU OC Mark Richt was a damn good playcaller too. Of course, the fact that he was distracted by the Georgia job didn't help his cause. The same thing would happen to us three years later when Mike got the Arizona gig and the complete clusterfrick that resulted at Arrowhead Stadium.

2/11/2011, 12:36 AM
i kinda think Stoops enjoys lop-sided games.and, you don't?

2/11/2011, 12:41 AM
Stoops loves running that sucker up and I do too. I don't think he'd do it to Spurrier or any of his brothers and maybe not Saban because I've read that he and Nick have become close the last few years but everyone else is fair game.We sure put the hammer down against FSU and the Mark Stoops defense in Norman last season!

boomermagic
2/11/2011, 12:41 AM
FSU OC Mark Richt was a damn good playcaller too. Of course, the fact that he was distracted by the Georgia job didn't help his cause. The same thing would happen to us three years later when Mike got the Arizona gig and the complete clusterfrick that resulted at Arrowhead Stadium.

I don't know that richt or M Stoops were distracted.. Richt called the same plays he had called all season so i don't think that was a factor at all. That was just something the people who wanted fs to win used for an excuse..

boomermagic
2/11/2011, 12:44 AM

We got our *** beat simple as that.. Snyder is a hellova coach.. I don't think he gets the credit he deserves especially from us Okies..

boomermagic
2/11/2011, 12:46 AM
We sure put the hammer down against FSU and the Mark Stoops defense in Norman last season!

That was sweet..:D

King Crimson
2/11/2011, 12:48 AM
mike has been awesome in his last two bowl games.

boomermagic
2/11/2011, 12:49 AM
I don't keep up with Arizona, has he ? Or is that sarcasm ?

Mike Stoops
2/11/2011, 12:52 AM
mike has been awesome in his last two bowl games.

Some talented people are just not meant to be head coaches. Buddy Ryan, Dick LeBeau, Norv Turner, Gary Gibbs. I would put Mike in that category. He's just lucky he coaches at a basketball school where the expectations are always low or he would have been fired years ago.

boomermagic
2/11/2011, 01:05 AM
Some talented people are just not meant to be head coaches. Buddy Ryan, Dick LeBeau, Norv Turner, Gary Gibbs. I would put Mike in that category. He's just lucky he coaches at a basketball school where the expectations are always low or he would have been fired years ago.

I totally disagree.. I doubt Bob would do any better at Arizona Or Mike would do any worse at OU than what Bob does.. You have to consider where they are coaching.. For instance, How well would Snyder have done at OU ? We'll never know but in my opinion he would have won a few NC at OU had he coached there instead of K State all those years..

By the same token I seriously doubt Bob would have done any better at K State than Snyder did/has. There are MANY MANY fine coaches out there .. Just because a coach wins a NC doesn't mean he is a better coach than someone who hasn't. He might be but he might not too.. Bob hasn't won a NC since 2000 are all of the coaches who have won since then better than Bob ? I doubt it.. How many of those same coaches could be a big success at Arizona ? None IMO..

2/11/2011, 01:23 AM
Some talented people are just not meant to be head coaches. Buddy Ryan, Dick LeBeau, Norv Turner, Gary Gibbs. I would put Mike in that category. He's just lucky he coaches at a basketball school where the expectations are always low or he would have been fired years ago.Recruiting in AZ is difficult. 8 weeks or more of 100 plus degrees, and sometimes still hot in November. So, I'm not so sure Mike is under-performing.

Mike Stoops
2/11/2011, 01:29 AM
I totally disagree.. I doubt Bob would do any better at Arizona Or Mike would do any worse at OU than what Bob does.. You have to consider where they are coaching.. For instance, How well would Snyder have done at OU ? We'll never know but in my opinion he would have won a few NC at OU had he coached there instead of K State all those years..

By the same token I seriously doubt Bob would have done any better at K State than Snyder did/has. There are MANY MANY fine coaches out there .. Just because a coach wins a NC doesn't mean he is a better coach than someone who hasn't. He might be but he might not too.. Bob hasn't won a NC since 2000 are all of the coaches who have won since then better than Bob ? I doubt it.. How many of those same coaches could be a big success at Arizona ? None IMO..

Ten years ago I would have agreed but we've seen too many coaches have success at smaller programs this past decade. Jim Harbaugh, Mike Riley, Gary Patterson, Chris Peterson just to name a few. The bar has been raised fair or unfair. You do make some valid points but I stand by my original statement on Mike as a head coach.

boomermagic
2/11/2011, 01:45 AM
Ten years ago I would have agreed but we've seen too many coaches have success at smaller programs this past decade. Jim Harbaugh, Mike Riley, Gary Patterson, Chris Peterson just to name a few. The bar has been raised fair or unfair. You do make some valid points but I stand by my original statement on Mike as a head coach.

So, You think just because he SO FAR has not been a consistant top 10 team that he is a failure ? What about all those other coaches of the other 100 or so schools that are NOT consistant top teams or have not won or played for a NC are they failures ? You named 4 programs that have done very well the past decade all those others had a bad coach ? I think not .. Coaching can only do so much when the recruiting base is just not there or the school is not dedicated to building a program. Most of those coaches you named have a great place to recruit a talent rich state or access to big time athletes.. I stand by my statement as well.

soonergirlNeugene
2/11/2011, 05:58 AM
I had to check this twice to make sure it wasn't originally posted during last year's offseason.

texaspokieokie
2/11/2011, 08:44 AM
and, you don't?

i loved the 77-0 game, especially since OU didn't score in 4th quarter. that game could have easily been over 100.

when accused of running up the score by opposing coach,Bobby Bowden said, coach it ain't my job to keep my guys from scoring, that's your job.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/11/2011, 09:58 AM
Concerning the usc loss...

anybody that attended and stayed out past 2 can tell you why this team lost..In fact I saw something on the Oklahoman website the other day talking about it..A former player calling out players on that team .players out running around with agents and getting their party on way late the night before the game...I could name off about 5 or 6 starters I personally saw

soonerbrat
2/11/2011, 10:20 AM
i think you guys overanalyze stuff WAY too much.

texaspokieokie
2/11/2011, 10:32 AM
i think you guys overanalyze stuff WAY too much.

AMEN !!!!!

But then, without that, this board would fail.

sooner518
2/11/2011, 11:15 AM

anybody that attended and stayed out past 2 can tell you why this team lost..In fact I saw something on the Oklahoman website the other day talking about it..A former player calling out players on that team .players out running around with agents and getting their party on way late the night before the game...I could name off about 5 or 6 starters I personally saw

hmm i never heard about that. you got a link? Id be interested in reading that or hearing who was out partying it up. I was in Miami and we were out pretty late the night before the game but didnt see anyone other than former USC Heisman Winner Charles White in a Denny's bathroom at 3 in the morning right after he apparently hit on a waitress.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/11/2011, 11:34 AM
From Jake Trotter

http://blog.newsok.com/ou/2011/01/25/former-sooners-weigh-in-on-agents

Fascinating video put together here by Synrgy Sports Consulting, a firm that provides insight to schools and players about the agent selection. The video, put together for OU, includes former Sooners players like Tommie Harris and Jammal Brown, who pontificate about the agent problem. Harris claims that people on campus were selling his cell phone number to agents. Brown asserts the reason OU lost the 2004 national championship was because the OU players were focused on dealing with agents instead of dealing with USC. Enjoyhttp://vimeo.com/11893029

Honestly, I haven't watched this video and don't know what Jammal said in it...I won't disclose what I saw in an open post because people have a weird sort of hero worship about college kids and may or may not believe me anyway..

But partying and messing with agents had a big hand in them running out of gas 10 minutes into the game

sooner518
2/11/2011, 01:38 PM
From Jake Trotter

http://blog.newsok.com/ou/2011/01/25/former-sooners-weigh-in-on-agents

Honestly, I haven't watched this video and don't know what Jammal said in it...I won't disclose what I saw in an open post because people have a weird sort of hero worship about college kids and may or may not believe me anyway..

But partying and messing with agents had a big hand in them running out of gas 10 minutes into the game

thanks. Based on who the potential NFL players were on that team, I can make some fairly educated guesses as to who it was..... :mad:

not that I even remember us playing in the 2005 Orange Bowl

MR2-Sooner86
2/11/2011, 02:15 PM
I still think we could have beaten them had Murray been there.

FIFY

We didn't do too bad against Florida in '08. If I would have told you before the game we would hold them to 24 would you think we'd win, lose, or go into the fourth neck and neck?

FSU OC Mark Richt was a damn good playcaller too. Of course, the fact that he was distracted by the Georgia job didn't help his cause.

Them not having Snoop Minnis hurt them more than anything probably.

If I had to pick one, which there isn't, problem with OU it's overconfidence.

We were overconfident we would be playing for Championship #2 and all we'd have to do is show up against OSU.
We were overconfident going into the '03 Championship and got banged up to where we were not 100% for LSU.
We were overconfident going up against USC (remember the trash talk by our players that week?) and got our *** handed to us.
We were overconfident in '05 believe we were OU and could just plug guys in and be normal. Wasn't until the Baylor game, I think, we put it together to make a run and end it to beat Oregon.
We were overconfident we could smack around a little Boise State and whining because we weren't in a bigger game because of the Oregon fiasco.
We were overconfident we could beat a West Virginia team with no head coach.
We were overconfident, on offense, against Florida thinking we'd score against them like other opponents.

Take it for whatever it's worth. I don't care.

BoulderSooner79
2/11/2011, 02:36 PM
FIFY

We didn't do too bad against Florida in '08. If I would have told you before the game we would hold them to 24 would you think we'd win, lose, or go into the fourth neck and neck?

We were overconfident we would be playing for Championship #2 and all we'd have to do is show up against OSU.
We were overconfident going into the '03 Championship and got banged up to where we were not 100% for LSU.
We were overconfident going up against USC (remember the trash talk by our players that week?) and got our *** handed to us.
We were overconfident in '05 believe we were OU and could just plug guys in and be normal. Wasn't until the Baylor game, I think, we put it together to make a run and end it to beat Oregon.
We were overconfident we could smack around a little Boise State and whining because we weren't in a bigger game because of the Oregon fiasco.
We were overconfident, on offense, against Florida thinking we'd score against them like other opponents.

If the overconfident "we" was the team (players, coaches), then Bob Stoops sucks as a head coach and it's a friggin' miracle OU has won so many games with Bob at the helm.

If the overconfident "we" are some portion of the crimson wearin' fans, then I say you're going to have a certain amount of that. The only folks hurt are the ones that bet real $$ on their machismo.

MR2-Sooner86
2/11/2011, 02:54 PM
If the overconfident "we" was the team (players, coaches), then Bob Stoops sucks as a head coach and it's a friggin' miracle OU has won so many games with Bob at the helm.

If the overconfident "we" are some portion of the crimson wearin' fans, then I say you're going to have a certain amount of that. The only folks hurt are the ones that bet real $$ on their machismo.

I didn't say it was our only problem but it's there.

For example I remember the week before the '01 Bedlam game. It seems everybody I heard from, fans and media, was blowing that game off and getting ready to see OU go up against Miami and how that game would play out.

In '03 we were proclaimed the best team ever and as some stated were told didn't need to win against KSU to get into the Championship.

You can't tell me that does not have an effect on people and seeps into their subconscious. We're talking about young adults who are already 10 feet tall and bulletproof getting their egos stroked and inflated. They might not be overconfident to the point of being "cocky" but hearing how you're going to win and how you're better than somebody builds confidence where you can be over confident.

boomermagic
2/11/2011, 02:55 PM

Nolan, I know you and know if you say that then it is true.. I also know you know enough about football to have seen that we were also out coached.. That was very obvious as well.

boomermagic
2/11/2011, 03:01 PM
FIFY

An important part of a teams coaching staff is to fight over confidence Find a way to motivate their players I doubt anyone was better at this than Switzer..

ouwasp
2/11/2011, 03:04 PM

Coach Stoops and I have that in common then. imo, the only time close, hard-fought games are genuinely "enjoyable" in the relaxing sense is whan they are on DVR. :O

boomermagic
2/11/2011, 03:13 PM
Will we be over confidant the next time we play for a NC ? Will the players be thinking more about their nfl careers than the game ? I'm saying if that was the problem is it going to always be that way ? A coach must be prepared to successfully deal with these things again, Thats why he makes his Millions..

Mike Stoops
2/11/2011, 03:18 PM
I think our next swing at bat will come this year. I think it will be OU vs SEC champ in New Orleans. For 30 days our players are gonna hear nothing but "OU sucks in BCS games" and "The SEC is unstoppable in NC games." I'm hoping that will give us an edge psychologically.

BudsBoy
2/11/2011, 03:19 PM
He didn't change, he just did not get any top D-1 quarterbacks that could stay healthy. If White doesn't get a bad toe and bad thumb, OU wins over LSU. If Hyble doesn't hurt his shoulder in the Texas game, they might have been much better and beaten OSU at the end of that year.

BoulderSooner79
2/11/2011, 04:10 PM
I didn't say it was our only problem but it's there.

For example I remember the week before the '01 OU-OSU game. It seems everybody I heard from, fans and media, was blowing that game off and getting ready to see OU go up against Miami and how that game would play out.

In '03 we were proclaimed the best team ever and as some stated were told didn't need to win against KSU to get into the Championship.

You can't tell me that does not have an effect on people and seeps into their subconscious. We're talking about young adults who are already 10 feet tall and bulletproof getting their egos stroked and inflated. They might not be overconfident to the point of being "cocky" but hearing how you're going to win and how you're better than somebody builds confidence where you can be over confident.

It's still a coaching issue. The coach is responsible for the teams' focus and preparation. You listed almost every big loss OU has suffered under Stoops and claimed it was related to over-confidence. If true, Bob has had a big problem with fundamental preparation that he hasn't addressed. I don't believe it. Sometimes, the other guy is better and it's going to happen most often in big games where the other guy is good too. You even mentioned the 'SC game where USC was BCS #1 and favored. How in the world could that cause players to be over-confident? STEPs report of players worrying about their draft status is disturbing in that case - every elite team will have draftable players each year and the coaches must continue to coach them.