PDA

View Full Version : Mack: "I pouted"

XingTheRubicon
2/7/2011, 01:53 PM
Good Lord.

By Jimmy Burch

jburch@ star-telegram.com

AUSTIN -- Mack Brown talks the talk. The Texas football coach has declared himself guilty of contributing to an environment of arrogance and entitlement that helped sink the team's 2010 season.

Brown, 59, said he set a poor leadership example by spending too much time "pouting" in the wake of a 37-21 loss to Alabama in the BCS National Championship Game that capped the 2009 season.

"I thought when you won a national championship, you might have an entitlement [issue] and a down year," Brown said during a recent interview. "I didn't know when you lost it that it could happen then, too. I thought we'd be more motivated after losing. But I wasn't. I was down."

That body language, he said, transferred to players and laid the foundation for a substandard work ethic and a lack of on-field leadership that culminated in a 5-7 record for a team coming off a 13-1 season.

Brown has vowed to make the necessary changes to right the ship in 2011. That's the easy part: saying the words. The tough part will be following through for a coach whose $5 million salary translated to $1 million per win in 2010 -- the highest cost-per-victory ratio in the Big 12.

Simply put, Mack the Nice must walk the walk. He must stop being an enabler. He must become more of a kick-butt disciplinarian, with help from six new assistant coaches and a first-year conditioning coach, during off-season workouts and team meetings.

Brown must continue to channel his inner Bob Stoops or Vince Lombardi throughout spring drills, which begin Feb. 24, and into the 2011 season. If not, the entitlement issues that plague Texas -- a school awash in top-shelf facilities and, coming in September, its own TV network -- will only resurface. It's part of the challenge of coaching at an elite program.

Every February, the Longhorns load their recruiting plate with four-star and five-star prospects. Most of the signees never have had to fight for playing time or attention during their football careers because they've always been the biggest, fastest and strongest in their school for 18 years.

Once in college, the talent gap disappears because every school signs quality athletes. Teams that succeed at the highest levels in college football push themselves to do so, even if that means turning a boatload of three-star prospects into five-star diamonds, as TCU or Boise State does.

Texas has been at its best under Brown when its top players and team leaders also were the team's hardest workers. Quarterbacks Vince Young and Colt McCoy leap to mind.

With those guys gone, what happened last season? After posting 12 consecutive winning records, Brown said he got the idea that "because we're Texas and we'd won so much, we're just going to win... and you can't think that."

After falling to Alabama in the BCS title game, Brown said: "I just pouted for a while. And when you're pouting at 13-1, that's pretty stupid."

No argument here. Frankly, I can't see Stoops -- who has won seven Big 12 championships in 12 seasons at Oklahoma -- or Lombardi, the late Green Bay Packers legend, pouting under any circumstances. Or admitting it afterward.

But every coach is different. And Brown, without question, is capable of turning up the internal heat on his players in a quest for more production.

A coach does not average 10-plus wins for 14 consecutive seasons, as Brown managed at Texas and North Carolina (1996-2009), without pushing the proper buttons to motivate players the majority of the time.

The 2010 season for Brown marked a major swing-and-miss in the motivation department. So it's time for Brown to unleash some Stoops on his troops -- isn't that ironic? -- until he can find a player or group of players who will do it for him. Entitlement issues start at the top and must disappear at the top to be eradicated completely.

That means making all jobs open during spring drills, as Brown insists will be the case, rather than paying lip service to the idea. That means convincing 2011 signees and the next wave of recruits they still have much to prove after arriving on campus.

Brown acknowledged Texas has struggled to drive home that second point with recent recruits, which factors into the entitlement mind-set. He didn't name names but prime candidates include tailback Chris Whaley (2009 signee with zero career carries and weight issues) and three defensive tackles from 2010 (Taylor Bible, Ashton Dorsey, De'Aires Cotton) who combined for two tackles last season -- both by Dorsey.

"Last year, a couple of freshmen misunderstood us and thought we said, 'You're going to play,'" Brown said, without naming names. "What they have to understand is, you're going to play if you're good enough and ready to play. You're not going to play just because you show up and you have stars next to your name [from recruiting services]. I think that is the thing we have to do a better job of."

The problem, Brown said, rests with signees who skate on their conditioning programs from February to June when they arrive on campus for voluntary workouts.

Brown cited multiple signees from 2010 who "weren't in shape when they got here. And they didn't get in shape over the summer. I was really disappointed.... That is something we're talking to all of these [2011 signees] about in a very strong manner."

In efforts to end an atmosphere of entitlement, that's a good place to start. Because even at Texas, $1million per coaching victory is a high price to pay for a successful football program.
http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/02/06/2827783/there-wont-be-any-more-mack-the.html#

Boomer.....
2/7/2011, 02:01 PM
:mack:

Flagstaffsooner
2/7/2011, 02:04 PM
texcuses

Leroy Lizard
2/7/2011, 02:25 PM
"Last year, a couple of freshmen misunderstood us and thought we said, 'You're going to play,'" Brown said, without naming names. "What they have to understand is, you're going to play if you're good enough and ready to play. You're not going to play just because you show up and you have stars next to your name [from recruiting services]. I think that is the thing we have to do a better job of."

Question for Mack: What is it you are saying to these recruits that gives them the impression that they will play?

Or are you actually coming out and saying it?

The problem, Brown said, rests with signees who skate on their conditioning programs from February to June when they arrive on campus for voluntary workouts.

... as well as the evaluation process where you seem unable to distinguish a fighter from a primadonna.

Collier11
2/7/2011, 02:29 PM
Two things

1) Isnt it amazing that someone who has barely won anything in a 30+ year career expects to win?

2) Have heard time and time again that Mack guarantees playing time to some recruits which Stoops wont do. That ends up backfiring when they suck (see Gilbert, Simms, etc...)

KantoSooner
2/7/2011, 02:30 PM
"channel his inner Bob Stoops or Vince Lombardi"

Dayum!! The smell of man love is heavy in the air down in Austin.

badger
2/7/2011, 02:30 PM
Mack probably invented the phrase "If Colt woulda played..." before it got popularized south of the Red River.

If the Packers teach football anything this year, it should be that there are no excuses, ever. I didn't like complaining about injuries a few season ago, and we didn't use that as an excuse to keep us out of a bowl (or wining it, for that matter).

Every year, quality programs vie for national titles, regardless of the circumstances. If Texas is gonna pout about what wasn't, than we'll just take was once theirs... the Big 12 South trophy, the Big 12 trophy, the RRS trophy, pwnage of Nebraska... :D

ouduckhunter
2/7/2011, 02:32 PM
HaHaHaHa!! In yer face Mack!!

usaosooner
2/7/2011, 02:32 PM
LOLZ at Mack

OUmillenium
2/7/2011, 02:35 PM
Typo...should read "I pooted"

badger
2/7/2011, 02:39 PM
Mack: Let me pout that answer for Chris... ;)

MamaMia
2/7/2011, 03:23 PM
Mack is such a kiss a**.

Collier11
2/7/2011, 03:25 PM
Shocker, Mack making excuses and trying to get ppl to feel bad for him

badger
2/7/2011, 03:31 PM
Mack: I thought we were going to win. I guess that just shows how clueless and pouty I am as a coach.

jumperstop
2/7/2011, 03:36 PM
A couple of lines in that article made those horns almost sound jealous of Stoops and his success. :D

badger
2/7/2011, 03:42 PM
Another reason to love Aaron Rodgers:

"I thought it was a little classless how Coach Brown was begging for votes after the Texas A&M game," Rodgers said. "I think a team's record and the way you play should speak for itself, and you shouldn't have to complain about the BCS system. Coach Tedford isn't going to, although he's frustrated just like we are. I think we're a bigger team, classier than that."

agoo758
2/7/2011, 04:10 PM
Another reason to love Aaron Rodgers:

Neat. And that's coming from a guy who didn't even call Brett Favre out for sabitoging Green Bay's 2008 training camp.

CrimsonCommando
2/7/2011, 04:29 PM
How many more dumb things does Mack have to say before they wise up and realize he's a whiner/loser/pooter/clapper that is not going to get things turned around down in Austin? Are recruits going to EVER stop drinking his tainted kool-aid?

I hope they roll off another losing season.

OhU1
2/7/2011, 04:43 PM
New Texcuss: Mack was pouting. :mack: :cry:

Mack Brown will never lead a great team. The 4 very good Mack Brown teams (2004, 2005, 2008 and 2009) were good due to the leadership coming from the quarterback. Vince Young and Colt McCoy rallied the players on those teams. Mack just stood around and clapped.

Mack cannot change who he is. Mack is not Bob Stoops or Nick Saban. He is a good coach but he can't lead a team to fight and play hard.

The whole Texas program suffers from a sense of entitlement. :texan:
If Texas has the top recruiting class and they are a big rich school why shouldn't they alway win? "We are Texas". Texas fan message board posts often say as much.

Texas will always have good talent. They seldom have great leadership and the hunger to prove themselves worthy of their inflated self image.

85sooners
2/7/2011, 07:44 PM
Mack is gay

devOUt
2/7/2011, 07:56 PM
This year Mack will set a better leadership example and the horns will turn things around with a 7-5 record.

Flagstaffsooner
2/7/2011, 08:07 PM
mack is the obama of CFB.

Breadburner
2/7/2011, 08:15 PM
He is such a purse swinger......

ashley
2/7/2011, 08:21 PM
I am not a tu or Mack fan but he was man enough to tell the truth.

Jacie
2/7/2011, 08:51 PM
Whorns are one decent leader (a coordinator or in their case, QB) away from being the team they ought to be every year. That they have yet to address the issue (sounds like Mack suspects he knows what the problem is) continues to amaze anyone who pays attention to college football. Looking on his sa*et career, he is the coach they want to lead their program. The only flaw has been finding assistants to run a tight ship. Mack is laid back so his assistants are too.

At OU, we had The King, the man who invented laid back as far as head football coachers go, but Barry always had assistants who knew their jobs. Think of Larry Lacewell, who was a no-excuses defensive coordinator before being Bob Barry's sidekick or a guy like OUr defensive backs coach, Bobby Proctor. Proctor was one of those grab-em-by-the facemask kind of guys. The reason those old coaches had gravelly voices was from yelling all the time to get the kids attention.

If Mack is committed to righting what should have been the unsinkable ship he has to do so by publically shedding the laid back image and convincing all his coaches to do the same. The best athletes and schemes in the world will not perform well if no one is at the wheel making everyone prepare well, play together and give it all they've got before, during and after every game.

Will be interesting to see what sa*et football looks like this fall.

rainiersooner
2/7/2011, 08:51 PM

No he's not. He's the Sarah Palin of CFB.

47straight
2/7/2011, 09:15 PM
I am not a tu or Mack fan but he was man enough to tell the truth.

Man enough to tell the truth that he's not a real man.

SanDiegoSoonerGal
2/7/2011, 09:31 PM
New Texcuss: Mack was pouting. :mack: :cry:

I thought it was Mack's defeatist body language.

BigRed47
2/7/2011, 09:59 PM
What is we go back to 1998 and OU gets Mack Brown as HC and the following year Texas got Bob Stoops. With all the top recruiting classes that Texas gets every year I wonder if BS would have more titles at Texas that Mack does. And would OU have ever won a NC under Mack Brown? Hmmm.

tulsaoilerfan
2/7/2011, 10:04 PM
Dont care who the coach is; if u don't have a good QB ur team will not be very good

bluedogok
2/7/2011, 10:44 PM
"channel his inner Bob Stoops or Vince Lombardi"

Dayum!! The smell of man love is heavy in the air down in Austin.
It was the Fort Worth paper....

OUEngr1990
2/7/2011, 11:38 PM
I wish 5-7 would last forever and ever..:D

OUthunder
2/7/2011, 11:52 PM
The season was tricky.

prrriiide
2/8/2011, 01:11 AM
MAYBE WE SHOULD CHUG ON OVER TO MAMBY-PAMBY LAND WHERE MAYBE WE CAN FIND SOME SELF-CONFIDENCE FOR YOU YOU JACK-WAGON!!!!

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/hFgiUm4lQig/0.jpg

picasso
2/8/2011, 01:13 AM
Dont care who the coach is; if Texas doesn't have a good run/pass QB their team will not be very good

Fixed.

picasso
2/8/2011, 01:15 AM
Mack pooted?

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
2/8/2011, 01:27 AM
The whole Texas program suffers from a sense of entitlement. :texan:
If Texas has the top recruiting class and they are a big rich school why shouldn't they alway win? "We are Texas". Texas fan message board posts often say as much.

Texas will always have good talent. They seldom have great leadership and the hunger to prove themselves worthy of their inflated self image.Sorta reminds me of the domers, starting with the Gerry Faust days, at least up til last yr...AIN'T IT GRAND!!!

2/8/2011, 01:28 AM
Mack is gayNTTAWWT

2/8/2011, 01:58 AM
How many more dumb things does Mack have to say before they wise up and realize he's a whiner/loser/pooter/clapper that is not going to get things turned around down in Austin? Are recruits going to EVER stop drinking his tainted kool-aid?
Hush!...Mack's doing just fine, thank you.

Therealsouthsider
2/8/2011, 02:19 AM
... I can't believe I just read all of that crap ...that has to be one of, if not the worst article I've ever read. Is this guy a real writer? It smacks of the rambling, unimaginative and pointless drivel I've come to expect from the likes of Jenny Carlson... But even this would be unfair to Jenny Carlson... Holy crap!

SS

fadada1
2/8/2011, 07:28 AM
WOW. i don't care what paper that was in, who wrote it, and how lousy the writing may/may not be - i read that the head coach of the texas football program "pouted" at ANY point before/during/after a season.... and there is NO WAY i'm sending my son (which i don't have) to play for him.

that's just sad. really, truly sad.

Okie35
2/8/2011, 08:43 AM
texcuses

good one

badger
2/8/2011, 11:39 AM
I think we all know Mack pouts. I mean... the Rose Bowl pouting to get in over Cal... the Big 12 Championship pouting to try to get in ahead of us... then the whining to get the conference tiebreaker rules changed... then the final second (or non-second, hehe) of the Big 12 game against Nebbish to get one second back on the clock. Then, blaming everyone but himself for a 5 and 7 season. Bahhhh. He's been nothing but whiny.

:mack: which is why i hope he never retires.

Breadburner
2/8/2011, 11:50 AM
Did he bring up Texas State....Did he pout after that too...!!!

KantoSooner
2/8/2011, 11:51 AM
This Mack Brown of whom you speak, is this the same man who Horns around the world insist is 'the dean of college football coaches'? A man renowned and respected above all others in his profession? That Mack Brown?

soonerchk
2/8/2011, 11:56 AM
Brown must continue to channel his inner Bob Stoops

Are you effing kidding me? That one is going to burn the entire * fanbase.

SoonerMom2
2/8/2011, 01:14 PM
Don't think I have ever heard a coach say he 'pouts' which is hilarious. What an egotistical, self centered coach. We knew he whined a lot but to come out and say he pouted? That's something a little kid would do not a grown man and this is the coach that is held in high esteem by the people at ESPN? Every time I see Mack Brown on TV the vision of him pouting will come in full view. Does he suck his thumb too when he is not clapping. He reminds of a spoiled brat who didn't get his way!

Keller Sooner
2/8/2011, 01:30 PM
"The pout will come out." Without a doubt.

Breadburner
2/8/2011, 01:51 PM
Pouty Clapper......Has a nice ring to it.....

2/8/2011, 02:04 PM
WOW. i don't care what paper that was in, who wrote it, and how lousy the writing may/may not be - i read that the head coach of the texas football program "pouted" at ANY point before/during/after a season.... and there is NO WAY i'm sending my son (which i don't have) to play for him.

that's just sad. really, truly sad.He's not afraid to show his feminine side, making him a truly modern, caring, sharing, emotive coach. One in which the entire state of tx should be quite proud.

stoopified
2/8/2011, 02:09 PM
I for one would like to stick up for Mack and suggest he be given a 15 year contract extension. :D

2/8/2011, 02:14 PM
I for one would like to stick up for Mack and suggest he be given a 15 year contract extension. :DHear hear!(I sure as he*l don't want him to retire)

soonerchk
2/8/2011, 02:50 PM
I for one would like to stick up for Mack and suggest he be given a 15 year contract extension. :D

20 years if he'll bring back Greg Davis.

fadada1
2/9/2011, 11:06 AM
He's not afraid to show his feminine side, making him a truly modern, caring, sharing, emotive coach. One in which the entire state of tx should be quite proud.

evidently i wasn't "reading between the lines" of the article. thanks for showing me the error in my ways.

;) :D

OUEngr1990
2/9/2011, 01:31 PM
Mack is gay

Well, he is a horn...:D

Water is wet

Ice is cold

Horns are gay

texaspokieokie
2/9/2011, 04:57 PM
shouldn't lid be here to defend him ?? or herr scholz ??

SoonerinSouthlake
2/9/2011, 06:40 PM
-Mack-You didn't suck this year because YOU pouted. If it were that simple your idiot players would score every time you flashed your cheesy grin over on the sidelines. You sucked because you lacked talent at key positions.

2. I love the fact that this article compares/contrasts Mack to "Stoops and Lombardi" Pretty sweet that writers put our coach in the same sentence as the gold standard for football coaching.

3. Mack---This is the same "Im changing the atmosphere" crap we hear every time you suck OUr fumes for the season. Allow me to make this as simple as possible for you in case you haven't really done an analysis of your tenure at the whorns: If you have a transcendent, running, playmaker at QB, you will be good. If you have anything else....enjoy watching the Sooners play for the Big 12 title game

that is all

sendbaht
2/9/2011, 06:46 PM
I get sick of his "entitlement" crap. I think it he would have done better telling his players last year they have a entitlement.

I think his players would have played better, good Lord surly no worse.

Leroy Lizard
2/9/2011, 07:04 PM
Horn fans long for the days of coach-speak.

Sooner Cal
2/9/2011, 10:48 PM
Baloney. Arrogance ,starts at the top. Of course MB told. Them they would play. He kisses butt, th.en cries when they don't put out. Sounds like a 16 year old on after a date.

Leroy Lizard
2/10/2011, 12:00 AM
Baloney. Arrogance ,starts at the top. Of course MB told. Them they would play. He kisses butt, th.en cries when they don't put out. Sounds like a 16 year old on after a date.

Dude, you need to pull over before typing in the message.

SoonerPride
2/10/2011, 07:55 AM
Can you imagine Stoops ever saying he pouted?

I didn't think so.

KantoSooner
2/10/2011, 10:12 AM
No. Bob has never pouted.

LesNessman
2/10/2011, 06:12 PM

Absolutely right.

Slick talker with zero substance.

SunnySooner
2/10/2011, 06:33 PM
Bob thought about pouting once, when he was 6 months old...his dad and older brother beat that **** outta him, real quick like. Yet another reason...Bob >>>>>>>>>>>>>> The Pouter. ;)