PDA

View Full Version : Mack looking for his "inner Stoops"

SoonerPr8r
2/7/2011, 01:51 PM
Jimmy Burch of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram writes that in order for Texas to change its 5-7 ways, Mack Brown must "channel his inner Bob Stoops."

I didn't realize Brown had an inner Stoops. I thought what made him tick was doing things like answering tough questions for his players, downloading 50 Cent to his iPod and clapping a lot.

Before last year, that seemed to work pretty well. The man won a national championship and played for another. He charmed recruits into playing for him, and boosters into giving to him (well, to his university's athletic department).

I figured 5-7 was a simple anomaly, one of those years where the football gods figured you owed them one, and no need for a personality overhaul.

Brown sees it a little differently. He told Burch that he "pouted" after losing the 2009 title game to Alabama, and that had an effect on his entire program. He said the mindset became "because we're Texas and we'd won so much, we're just going to win."

So, he's going to change. He's going to, apparently, tear a page from Stoops' motivational playbook.

Brown, Burch writes, "must stop being an enabler. He must become more of a kick-butt disciplinarian… If not, the entitlement issues that plague Texas – a school awash in top-shelf facilities and, coming in September, its own TV network – will on resurface."

I get the problem. I just don't know if Brown can provide the answer. He seems better off as a back-slapper than a butt-kicker.

Think he can pull it off?

-- Guerin Emig

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/blogs/blog.aspx?blogid=12#10671

There is a gay joke in there somewhere but I don't want to make it.:D :D

soonermix
2/7/2011, 02:10 PM
most sites just call that POV

ouduckhunter
2/7/2011, 02:14 PM
Funny stuff! I hope that gets posted over on Shaggy Bevo!