PDA

View Full Version : Super Bowl fan screwjob in Jerryworld

badger
2/7/2011, 11:07 AM
Taken from the site superbowlsuit.com:
http://www.superbowlsuit.com/info.jpg

The Oklahoman had a story here. (http://newsok.com/400-fans-jilted-out-of-super-bowl-seats/article/3538755)

NP considered getting me Super Bowl tickets as a gift, to which I was very hesitant, not only because I get a little bit more excitable (read: angry, violent and throwing stuff) during Packer games. So, we didn't go. First, the streets turned bad. Then, about a thousand fans get told that their seats aren't ready to go and they'll get hospitality area admission.

Jerry man, I hope each of these fans gets a million bucks outta you over this. Yes, even the Steeler fans. ESPECIALLY the Steeler fans. They had a doubly bad night.

texaspokieokie
2/7/2011, 11:18 AM
think it was more the fault of the NFL than jerry.

badger
2/7/2011, 11:19 AM
think it was more the fault of the NFL than jerry.

Very true. I hear the Neffel kind of takes over the stadium rather than the team/owner for an event like this. Still, another reason why I'd never want Jerryworld hosting the BCS title game or the annual OU-beating-Texas matchup.

OULenexaman
2/7/2011, 11:19 AM
my favorite part...
At about 4 p.m. in a concourse, a Steelers fan in a Troy Polamalu jersey was yelling obscenities into his cell phone at a stadium employee. He couldn't be seated because his seats were in an area near the seats that didn't meet code.

"We spent $3,000 on tickets," his friend said. "After parking and $10 beers, it's $3,000. I just want to sit."

Said Jennifer Dunfee, a friend in their party who flew in from Colorado for the game: "We've spent over an hour trying to figure out how to get up there.

The NFL closed four of the 10 entrance points into the stadium Sunday because of lingering ice on the roof of the stadium. On Friday, six people were injured by ice falling onto the sidewalk outside of the structure. NFL officials worked with the Arlington Fire Department to direct fans safely into the stadium. Safe corridors were established around any potential fall zones.

In addition, the Arlington Police Department requested additional officers to the East Plaza ticket offices after the crowd started to become unruly after ticket scanners weren't functioning. There were chants of "Jerry Sucks!" and "NFL Sucks!"

Steve and Dawn Novak traveled from Rochester, N.Y., to find that their $800 seats could be exchanged for three times face value, or else for a $350 standing-room-only ticket. They said the NFL would not reimburse the difference in value. They decided to take a loss on the ticket but attend the game after coming all that way. She is a Packers fan and he is a Steelers fan, and they were both angry about the experience.

"We said one of us was going to be happy at the end of the day and we were wrong," Steve Novak said.

Dallas resident Brian Shake said it generally takes 15 minutes to wait at the gate. He said he waited in line for an hour and 20 minutes on Sunday.

"It was just so long," Shake said. "Problem was, you didn't know if you were in the right line or not. Everywhere you looked, there were just fences and screens and you couldn't get in anywhere."

His wife Kathy Shake called it "frustrating."

"It was very confusing on how to get in as you snaked your way through security."

Paul Bryant, from Milwaukee, said he and his party waited at least 90 minutes in line to get into the stadium.

"Nobody knew where to go. ... They had 14 detectives, and there's got to be 20,000 people going through here. If you do the math, that isn't enough," Bryant said.

85sooners
2/7/2011, 11:42 AM
:mad: Screw Jerry in his old a$$

jumperstop
2/7/2011, 11:48 AM
The only good thing about Jerryworld is that it looks pretty. Went to the BYU and CCG there, wasn't really impressed with it. I'm sure they are a lot of other people who aren't impressed with it now either.

pappy
2/7/2011, 11:57 AM
The only good thing about Jerryworld is that it looks pretty. Went to the BYU and CCG there, wasn't really impressed with it. I'm sure they are a lot of other people who aren't impressed with it now either.

A couple weeks ago I was listening to espn radio and they were having people who have been to the stadium call in to talk about their experience at the stadium and *every* single caller was griping about how much it actually sucks...no replays, no other score updates, season ticket holders not being allowed to use the escalators unless they're they have the kind of season ticket a celebrity would have. Just junk like that.

Boomer.....
2/7/2011, 12:06 PM
My sister-in-law and her husband had seats in the removed area. They took them to a holding room under the stadium for a lot of the first half. They were heated.

OULenexaman
2/7/2011, 12:08 PM
and then???

badger
2/7/2011, 12:10 PM
My sister-in-law and her husband had seats in the removed area. They took them to a holding room under the stadium for a lot of the first half. They were heated.

Hope they got to sit in the Jerry box for the second half then with George W. and Madden :rolleyes:

jumperstop
2/7/2011, 12:13 PM

Where is the rest of the story? What happened in the end?

Boomer.....
2/7/2011, 12:14 PM
We don't really know what happened. They sent my mother-in-law a picture of the area they were sitting. It looked like the areas on the sidelines under the seats but the view wasn't any good because the video equipment and players blocked the view. They never reponded after that pic.

yermom
2/7/2011, 12:25 PM
yeah, i posted about this in the reasons to hate Dallas thread.

i'd rather never go to that stadium again.

and i'm a Cowboys fan :(

jumperstop
2/7/2011, 12:26 PM
yeah, i posted about this in the reasons to hate Dallas thread.

i'd rather never go to that stadium again.

and i'm a Cowboys fan :(

Dallas as a city sucks. Too crowded for my taste.

sooner518
2/7/2011, 12:39 PM
I'd be pissed if I were them, but if you pay thousands of dollars to go to a football game, you've got a few screws loose

Bxbysooner
2/7/2011, 12:50 PM
On ESPN it says those fans get tickets to next years superbowl too! Although if it were me i would be mad but after thinking about it. They will probably end up making money. They get 3 times face value if they refund their tickets and tickets to next year. Thats worth quite a bit!

OhU1
2/7/2011, 12:59 PM
I got to see the game for free, really close to the action too. And I could even pause the action and fast forward through the lulls.

I love going to OU games in person. No way does the Super Bowl sound like it's worth the hassle.

yermom
2/7/2011, 01:06 PM
when i first heard it was going to be in Arlington i thought about going, but with all the weather, and school and other crap it wasn't happening this year.

i'd love to go sometime though

Boomer.....
2/7/2011, 01:40 PM
I got an update:

They were part of the 400 out of 1200 that did not get relocated. They moved them into the press area but you couldn't see the field and had to watch the game on tvs. They were told that they were getting 3 times the face value of the tickets plus a ticket to next years Super Bowl.

jumperstop
2/7/2011, 01:44 PM
I got an update:

They were part of the 400 out of 1200 that did not get relocated. They moved them into the press area but you couldn't see the field and had to watch the game on tvs. They were told that they were getting 3 times the face value of the tickets plus a ticket to next years Super Bowl.

That at least makes it kinda worth it. I bet a lot of those people paid more than three times face value for the ticket though, not including airfare, hotel, and other travel expenses. Maybe they can make up for it next year by selling their ticket.

GKeeper316
2/7/2011, 01:57 PM
it was actually the county fire marshall, from what i understand. he didn't feel the temp seating was safe.

Boomer.....
2/7/2011, 02:01 PM
They used the temporary seating during the first game at Jerry World and they had around 110,000 people there. After that game the fire marshall deemed the temporary seats unsafe and told him to never use them again. He wanted to break the Super Bowl attendance record so he put them up anyways. Dumb move!

The attendance was only 400 short of breaking the all-time Super Bowl record.

sooner518
2/7/2011, 02:05 PM
it was actually the county fire marshall, from what i understand. he didn't feel the temp seating was safe.

thats not true according to the DMN and all the radio stations. The Arlington county fire department released a statement saying that they never were asked by the NFL to inspect those temporary seats and that the decision was the NFL's decision alone to shut those seats down.

StoopTroup
2/7/2011, 02:08 PM
I'd be pissed if I were them, but if you pay thousands of dollars to go to a football game, you've got a few screws loose

Says the guy who has never been to a Super Bowl but has $7,000 in Star Wars Figures in a box in his attic? :D

badger
2/7/2011, 02:15 PM
NFL: You get Super Bowl tickets for next year!

(a few minutes later in an executive boardroom)

NFL exec: There's gonna be no Super Bowl next year due to a lockout, right?
NFL other exec: Hehe, no.
NFL: Hell, we shoulda given them 50-yard line tickets instead of more nosebleeds.

Sooner_Bob
2/7/2011, 02:16 PM
On ESPN it says those fans get tickets to next years superbowl too! Although if it were me i would be mad but after thinking about it. They will probably end up making money. They get 3 times face value if they refund their tickets and tickets to next year. Thats worth quite a bit!

Acceptable only if they reimbursed me for my travel expenses . . .

SoonerNutt
2/7/2011, 02:22 PM
So, does anybody know what the face value of those tix was?

Boomer.....
2/7/2011, 02:28 PM
They said minimum $900.

texaspokieokie
2/7/2011, 02:53 PM
i heard on radio @ lunch that they're going to get tix next year, plus other expenses. like air fare & hotel rooms.

texaspokieokie
2/7/2011, 02:59 PM
They used the temporary seating during the first game at Jerry World and they had around 110,000 people there. After that game the fire marshall deemed the temporary seats unsafe and told him to never use them again. He wanted to break the Super Bowl attendance record so he put them up anyways. Dumb move!

in the DMN it said it was 700 short.
i was wrong, i figured for sure the nfl would somehow finagle a new record.

notice that in the last SB in pasadena the attendance was only about 98k.
something pertaining to seating must have changed, like making the seats a little wider or maybe not so many in the end zones.

i saw where they're gonna spend something like 150 mil on rose bowl for improvements. maybe then they can have more SBs. weather is better out there.

MamaMia
2/7/2011, 03:03 PM

With airline tickets/gas, hotels, rental cars and restaurants, any family or couple who go to any away game pay at least a couple thousand and more if its a bowl game. Thats not even counting the shopping.

Three times the face value of the tickets may not even pay for the tickets if they bought from a ticket agency.

unbiasedtruth
2/7/2011, 04:16 PM
as much I hate to see the Big XII gor form 12 to 10 teams, the silver lining is there is not a Big XII championship game to be played at that POS stadium. Like someone else said, attended both the BYU and last year's CCG and that place sucks as a sports venue, and even worse for music.....

agoo758
2/7/2011, 04:20 PM
My question is why a stadium touted as the next great wonder of the world need temporary seating that can be removed because of a routine icing hazard?

KuppiKunta
2/7/2011, 04:59 PM
How exactly was that a screw job? I'd liked to have been in that situation....get 3 times the refund, tickets to next year's game, free eats, drinks, and memorabilia and still get to watch the game!!! Sounds like they hit the jackpot to me!

tfoolry
2/7/2011, 05:21 PM
i heard on radio @ lunch that they're going to get tix next year, plus other expenses. like air fare & hotel rooms.

Plus VIP access to Mike "the Situation" Sorrentino's SB party.

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk140/tfoolry/Mike_C.jpg

jumperstop
2/7/2011, 05:26 PM
How exactly was that a screw job? I'd liked to have been in that situation....get 3 times the refund, tickets to next year's game, free eats, drinks, and memorabilia and still get to watch the game!!! Sounds like they hit the jackpot to me!

Most of them probably paid a lot more than 3 times the face to get the ticket...They will all probably lose some money because of it.

MamaMia
2/7/2011, 05:59 PM
How exactly was that a screw job? I'd liked to have been in that situation....get 3 times the refund, tickets to next year's game, free eats, drinks, and memorabilia and still get to watch the game!!! Sounds like they hit the jackpot to me!Next years game between who? These are Packer and Steelers fans.
Most of them probably paid a lot more than 3 times the face to get the ticket...They will all probably lose some money because of it.^^^^This and some lady they interviewed said that most of them had to watch the game on a big screen. We did that for free. :D

BajaOklahoma
2/7/2011, 06:39 PM
The NFL came to Arlington on January 8th (or close). Lots of trailers with NFL stuff to decorate the stadium. They completely took over - removing all signs of the Cowboys, taking over security and transportation for the game.
There was a guy on GAC (yes, I hate G) this afternoon - one of the guys involved in transporting the NFL staff, teams and press. Supposedly the NFL was to tell them what to do and when, but with a week to go, the NFL failed to communicate with them. A huge SNAFU.
I haven't read the Dallas Moron News today. The City of Arlington Fire Marshall was getting the blame late yesterday - I could see him doing it though.
As much as you (and I) hate jerry, this was more NFL and less Jerry.

Judge Smails
2/7/2011, 07:04 PM
Where is the rest of the story? What happened in the end?

They had some guys go to work on them with a pair of pliers and a blowtorch. They got medieval on their ***. :)

Judge Smails
2/7/2011, 08:08 PM
Pictures of the seats:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/super-bowl/local/20110206-1250-fans-displaced-after-cowboys-stadium-failed-to-have-seats-ready.ece?ssimg=119927#ssStory119496

I think the big thing was with the uninstalled handrails in case there was an emergency evacuation. There are 19 pictures of the seats. Scroll the arrows to see them all.

Dan Thompson
2/7/2011, 09:07 PM
Where is the snow and ice melting system?

Seems another item was skipped as a cost saving plan or just slipped by.

KuppiKunta
2/8/2011, 04:29 PM
Most of them probably paid a lot more than 3 times the face to get the ticket...They will all probably lose some money because of it.

Then that's their own fault for over paying!

texaspokieokie
2/8/2011, 04:43 PM

do you think they should count the dumb asses that paid $200 (face value)
to sit around the stadium (inside the fence) to watch on big TVs ???

if jerry wanted the record so badly, he should've built a bigger (but not so fancy) stadium.

OULenexaman
2/8/2011, 04:48 PM
Where is the snow and ice melting system?

Seems another item was skipped as a cost saving plan or just slipped by.

I would think 1 or 2 CH-47 Chinook's houvering over place for about 30 minutes would have cleared off the roof pretty nicely....

texaspokieokie
2/8/2011, 04:49 PM
I would think 1 or 2 CH-47 Chinook's houvering over place for about 30 minutes would have cleared off the roof pretty nicely....

I agree, that's what my wife suggested.

StoopTroup
2/8/2011, 04:59 PM

Another person who will probably never go to a Super Bowl.....lol

jumperstop
2/8/2011, 07:23 PM
Jerry could be in his own seat delima along with the NFL now....

Jerry Jones could be facing lawsuits from Super Bowl patrons who were given 'illegitimate seats with obstructed views'
BySportsDayDFW sports
[email protected] | Bio

11:24 AM on Tue., Feb. 8, 2011 | Permalink

Super Bowl XLV has been over for more than 24 hours, but Jerry Jones may not be able to put the event behind him just yet.

According to a press release, Jones and the Cowboys could be facing a lawsuit from fans concerning their seating at Cowboys Stadium during the Green Bay Packers' 31-25 victory over the Pittsburgh Steelers.

And those issues are not related to the 400 fans who were turned away from their unsafe temporary seating on Sunday.

More from the press release:

Eagan Avenatti, LLP, a law firm specializing in consumer rights, launched an investigation Tuesday into possible claims against the Cowboys and Jones after receiving reports that the Cowboys and Jones deceived hundreds of the team's best season ticket holders into paying $1,200 a seat for Super Bowl tickets that turned out to be temporary seats with obstructed views.

The season ticket holders, known as the "Founders" of Cowboys Stadium, each paid at least $100,000 per seat for a personal seat license at the stadium, which the Cowboys and Jones promised would entitle them to the "best sightlines in the stadium" and the right to purchase a ticket to Sunday's Super Bowl at face value.

Instead, they arrived at the stadium Sunday to discover that Jones and the Cowboys had assigned them to sit in obstructed view, temporary metal seats, which had only recently been installed in an effort to meet Jones' goal of breaking NFL Super Bowl attendance records. Adding insult to injury, almost all of the seats lacked any view whatsoever of the Cowboys' video board.

The "Founders" season ticket holders collectively account for over $100 Million in personal seat licenses Jones sold to pay for the construction of the stadium, as well as over $3,000,000 in annual season ticket sales, according to the statement released by the firm based in Los Angeles.

"These season ticket holders are rightfully irate at Jones and the Cowboys," said lead attorney Michael Avenatti. "Jones sold the very fans that helped finance the construction of the stadium on the idea of attending the Super Bowl, took their money, and then put them in illegitimate seats with obstructed views. What team or owner on the planet would treat its best fans like this?"

As a result of these allegations, Eagan Avenatti, LLP is preparing a lawsuit on behalf of ticket holders who were damaged.

"We will get to the bottom of this," Michael Avenatti added. "And when we do, I expect we will find that greed and ego had a lot to do with what happened."

By JON MACHOTA / Special contributor to SportsDayDFW.com

agoo758
2/8/2011, 07:24 PM

Uh No. It's not their own fault for purchasing tickets to a game only to have their seats cancelled on them.

And I have never heard of anyone who didn't "overpay" for a ticket.

jumperstop
2/8/2011, 07:27 PM
Pictures of the seats:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/super-bowl/local/20110206-1250-fans-displaced-after-cowboys-stadium-failed-to-have-seats-ready.ece?ssimg=119927#ssStory119496

I think the big thing was with the uninstalled handrails in case there was an emergency evacuation. There are 19 pictures of the seats. Scroll the arrows to see them all.

What is funny about those pictures is they were deemed unsafe, but they were on the same rigging as the people sitting right next to it. How were they unsafe? Must be embarassing for the NFL and Jones because they took the time to cover them with black material. :P

C&CDean
2/8/2011, 07:28 PM

On a completely off topic, jumping out of Chinooks was my favorite. Smooth, maybe 70 mph, just run off the tailgate. I love me a Chinook.

oudivesherpa
2/8/2011, 07:40 PM
I smell Lawsuit. But of course suing Jerry World in Dallas, you would have about as much of a chance as say suing...Texas Tech in Lubbock.:D

KuppiKunta
2/9/2011, 09:35 AM
Another person who will probably never go to a Super Bowl.....lol

Yep, I wouldn't even pay face value to go to the Super Bowl. A friend of mine went this year, with a free ticket, but parking was $100. I just prefer to watch in the comforts of my home or at a party with lots of other people and good food and beer!

KuppiKunta
2/9/2011, 09:37 AM
Uh No. It's not their own fault for purchasing tickets to a game only to have their seats cancelled on them.

If they purchased them at an inflated price from a ticket broker or scalper, then yes it's their fault.....buyer beware.

Jacie
2/9/2011, 09:47 AM
A friend of mine went this year, with a free ticket, but parking was $100.

Take a cab!

Wishboned
2/9/2011, 09:51 AM
On a completely off topic, jumping out of Chinooks was my favorite. Smooth, maybe 70 mph, just run off the tailgate. I love me a Chinook.

I have as many jumps out of a Chinook as I do C-130's or C-141's.

Oldnslo
2/9/2011, 10:09 AM
Yep, I wouldn't even pay face value to go to the Super Bowl. A friend of mine went this year, with a free ticket, but parking was $100. I just prefer to watch in the comforts of my home or at a party with lots of other people and good food and beer!

You sound as if you watch... for the commercials.

jkjsooner
2/9/2011, 10:19 AM

I disagree. When you scalp a ticket you understand that you're taking a risk if for some unforseen reason the event does not take place or your ticket can't be honored. If you pay $1000 to see U2 play in concert and Bono has the flu, it isn't U2 or the venue's problem that you paid so much over face value. That's your problem.

If you go through a ticket reseller, they will often refund your entire money but if you bought it from a guy on the street then, well, you knew the risk you were taking.

I think the NFL's offer to pay well over the face value for the tickets and an offer for tickets to next year's game is generous.

jumperstop
2/9/2011, 10:59 AM
I disagree. When you scalp a ticket you understand that you're taking a risk if for some unforseen reason the event does not take place or your ticket can't be honored. If you pay $1000 to see U2 play in concert and Bono has the flu, it isn't U2 or the venue's problem that you paid so much over face value. That's your problem.

If you go through a ticket reseller, they will often refund your entire money but if you bought it from a guy on the street then, well, you knew the risk you were taking.

I think the NFL's offer to pay well over the face value for the tickets and an offer for tickets to next year's game is generous.

Except if Bono has the flu, you'll probably get a make up concert or a similar ticket at another one of his concerts. You can never recreate this particular event. They bought the tickets thinking that there would be a seat. Your example really isn't the same thing. Have you ever heard of something happening at football game to cause a legitimate ticket holder to not be able to get their seat? The people purchasing the tickets had no reason to think they wouldn't get in.

Ruf/Nek7
2/9/2011, 11:15 AM
So first off, only 400 got removed from the stadium. The other 850 got placed elsewhere but still got to see the game. The next thing is the NFL took over the seating construction well before January and still couldn't get it done. Had Jerry been in control, it would have been finished no doubt about it.

KuppiKunta
2/9/2011, 11:20 AM
You sound as if you watch... for the commercials.

Well....when the cheapest ticket was about $600...yeah, I'll watch the commercials. There's not a sporting event or concert out there that I'd pay $600 to see live.

Ruf/Nek7
2/9/2011, 11:21 AM
Well....when the cheapest ticket was about $600...yeah, I'll watch the commercials. There's not a sporting event or concert out there that I'd pay $600 to see live.

OU National Championship???

KuppiKunta
2/9/2011, 11:29 AM
OU National Championship???

I'd watch it on TV for that price!!

Ruf/Nek7
2/9/2011, 11:31 AM
I'd watch it on TV for that price!!

I've never been to a National Championship game, so I think I would pay $600 for that game only.

texaspokieokie
2/9/2011, 11:33 AM
I've never been to a National Championship game, so I think I would pay $600 for that game only.

i would if they (don't know who "they" is) could guarantee an OU win.
if i paid $600 & OU lost, would consider it money wasted.

Ruf/Nek7
2/9/2011, 11:37 AM
i would if they (don't know who "they" is) could guarantee an OU win.
if i paid $600 & OU lost, would consider it money wasted.

So long as "they" are not the back yard of our opponent like every other National Championship game!

OULenexaman
2/9/2011, 12:00 PM
And let's say you got there....blood pumping, all fire up and waiting to get through the gate and they scan your ticket and BAM!!! :mad: Surprise!!:eek: Then a NCAA jackoff say's we will give you your money back 3 fold plus a ticket to next years MNC game.:pop:

Ruf/Nek7
2/9/2011, 12:12 PM
And let's say you got there....blood pumping, all fire up and waiting to get through the gate and they scan your ticket and BAM!!! :mad: Surprise!!:eek: Then a NCAA jackoff say's we will give you your money back 3 fold plus a ticket to next years MNC game.:pop:

I get how upsetting that is, I would be pissed. My thing is, the finger needs to be pointed at the true criminal.

GrapevineSooner
2/9/2011, 12:17 PM
The story about the Cowboys STH's suing Jerry (http://www.myfoxdfw.com/dpp/news/020811-ticket-holders-sue-cowboys%2C-jerry-jones) was mentioned earlier.

Here's what the reason why they're suing:

http://media2.myfoxdfw.com//photo/2011/02/08/cowboyssuit_20110208212918_640_480.JPG

OULenexaman
2/9/2011, 12:29 PM
The story about the Cowboys STH's suing Jerry (http://www.myfoxdfw.com/dpp/news/020811-ticket-holders-sue-cowboys%2C-jerry-jones) was mentioned earlier.

Here's what the reason why they're suing:

http://media2.myfoxdfw.com//photo/2011/02/08/cowboyssuit_20110208212918_640_480.JPG

This just keeps getting better and better.:D :D

soonerboomer93
2/9/2011, 12:37 PM
yeah, if i was one of those psl owners, i'd have been pissed to get a seat like that

unbiasedtruth
2/9/2011, 03:03 PM
yeppers being sued.... now heres to the 6 workers hurt by the ice falling following suit and suing Jerry over their injuries caused by his negligence....

KuppiKunta
2/9/2011, 03:32 PM
Amerikans sue over anything and everthing!!!