PDA

View Full Version : Don't disparage the spawn of Phil Simms!! :mad:

No1Better
2/6/2011, 11:34 AM
Once again, Phil Simms is trying to bully those who speak the truth about the skill set of his offspring. His latest rant was targeted at Desmond Howard who correctly characterized Phil's son, Matt, as a subpar player and under performer playing for Tennessee this past season. Matt underwhelmed by throwing for 1143 yards, 8 TD's and 5 picks. Desmond characterized this output as a disappointment. He's right. Any player that has the access to all of the training, camps and coaches like Matt, has certain expectations that must be met.

Phil demonstrated poor judgment and character when his son Chris was playing at Texas, is probably the worst prognosticator in the NFL, and now has the pair to slam one of the best college football players of all time for speaking the truth. It's apparent now more than ever, that Phil considers himself and his family football royalty and respect should be inherent instead of earned.

News flash, the only players I can think of, and keep me honest here, that lived up to the hype heaped on them by their Hall Of Fame output are the Manning brothers. Each led their teams to super bowl wins, each led them to incredible wins at their respective colleges (true, neither won it all), but they both competed week after week and continue to demonstrate that fire today. And that's what this really boils down to, competitive fire. Phil's kids clearly have a sense of entitlement and play (or played) as such. They don't know how to put a team on their shoulders and WILL them to win. Chris was a joke as a Longhorn, embarrassed often in big games. Matt still has some runway and may have a couple of good wins before all is said and done, but having Phil as a father will certainly hamper his perception as a player and probably make his draft stock toxic as a result. After all, what franchise wants to deal with an over bearing father publicly criticizing their decision making.

Phil is inept as a supporting father. Instead of simply pulling Desmond aside and showing some deprecation, he sets fire to the situation and attacks. Tell you what, stay classy Phil, stay classy.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/7415254.html

Leroy Lizard
2/6/2011, 12:05 PM
Once again, Phil Simms is trying to bully those who speak the truth about the skill set of his offspring. His latest rant was targeted at Desmond Howard who correctly characterized Phil's son, Matt, as a subpar player and under performer playing for Tennessee this past season. Matt underwhelmed by throwing for 1143 yards, 8 TD's and 5 picks. Desmond characterized this output as a disappointment. He's right. Any player that has the access to all of the training, camps and coaches like Matt, has certain expectations that must be met.

Phil demonstrated poor judgment and character when his son Chris was playing at Texas, is probably the worst prognosticator in the NFL, and now has the pair to slam one of the best college football players of all time for speaking the truth. It's apparent now more than ever, that Phil considers himself and his family football royalty and respect should be inherent instead of earned.

News flash, the only players I can think of, and keep me honest here, that lived up to the hype heaped on them by their Hall Of Fame output are the Manning brothers. Each led their teams to super bowl wins, each led them to incredible wins at their respective colleges (true, neither won it all), but they both competed week after week and continue to demonstrate that fire today. And that's what this really boils down to, competitive fire. Phil's kids clearly have a sense of entitlement and play (or played) as such. They don't know how to put a team on their shoulders and WILL them to win. Chris was a joke as a Longhorn, embarrassed often in big games. Matt still has some runway and may have a couple of good wins before all is said and done, but having Phil as a father will certainly hamper his perception as a player and probably make his draft stock toxic as a result. After all, what franchise wants to deal with an over bearing father publicly criticizing their decision making.

Phil is inept as a supporting father. Instead of simply pulling Desmond aside and showing some deprecation, he sets fire to the situation and attacks. Tell you what, stay classy Phil, stay classy.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/7415254.html

Whether or not Desmond Howard was a great player has zilch to do with this situation.

Second of all, why the hate at Matt? It's not his fault that his Dad is a bit overprotective.

BudSooner
2/6/2011, 12:12 PM
Phil simms-Craig James lite.

No1Better
2/6/2011, 12:20 PM
Whether or not Desmond Howard was a great player has zilch to do with this situation.

Second of all, why the hate at Matt? It's not his fault that his Dad is a bit overprotective.

Desmond's accomplishments factor into his credibility as an analyst and evaluator of talent. He knows the difference between under performing and excelling. Phil takes the position that Desmond has no right to comment on his son's output which is a flawed and foolish assessment.

I agree that Matt has nothing to do with his father's stupidity, but he's fair game to get scrutinized just like any other college football player for better or for worse.

Leroy Lizard
2/6/2011, 12:32 PM
Desmond's accomplishments factor into his credibility as an analyst and evaluator of talent.

Whether or not a person was a great player has zilch to do with his ability to analyze and evaluate talent. Hell, I would bet that the majority of talent evaluators for pro football teams never played in the NFL.

Besides, Phil Simms was a great player too. So much for that argument.

He knows the difference between under performing and excelling. Phil takes the position that Desmond has no right to comment on his son's output which is a flawed and foolish assessment.

I agree that Matt has nothing to do with his father's stupidity, but he's fair game to get scrutinized just like any other college football player for better or for worse.

To say that he's fair game doesn't excuse your completely baseless attack on him.

No1Better
2/6/2011, 12:42 PM
Whether or not a person was a great player has zilch to do with his ability to analyze and evaluate talent. Hell, I would bet that the majority of talent evaluators for pro football teams never played in the NFL.

Besides, Phil Simms was a great player too. So much for that argument.

You're right, Phil was a great player. He's also insecure with a giant ego and can't see the forest for the trees when it comes to warranted criticism. Desmond wasn't criticizing Matt because his last name is Simms, he was simply pointing out that he had all the tools to be more successful and didn't perform. It's not an opinion, it's fact.

To say that he's fair game doesn't excuse your completely baseless attack on him.

Baseless? This kid is playing with a good offense, a good coach, and has the support system to be successful, yet, he still tanked.

Leroy Lizard
2/6/2011, 01:01 PM
Baseless? This kid is playing with a good offense, a good coach, and has the support system to be successful, yet, he still tanked.

Here is what you said:

Phil's kids clearly have a sense of entitlement and play (or played) as such.

You don't know that. Matt CLEARLY has a sense of entitlement? Based on what?

Matt may not be the best player in the country, but there's no crime in that. There are a lot of QBs out there that aren't starting for the Volunteers.

budbarrybob
2/6/2011, 01:21 PM
:mack: Let me answer that one for N1B...

What Leroy wants you to say N1B, is that they don't CLEARLY have a sense of entitlement. They CLEARLY have been promoted in their respective careers at this point without the proven productivity that would warrant their current position. Even this is debatable, however, IS just a matter of opinion. Desmond is certainly entitled to his opinion, so is Phil. It is absolutely ridiculous that Phil would threaten violence vs Des. Furthermore, Phil should tone it down a bit to avoid drawing any more scrutiny to Matt's performance numbers from last year.

No1Better
2/6/2011, 01:27 PM
Absolutely agree, Matt may not be the best player in the country and there is no crime in that.

Matt also would never be playing for Tennessee if his last name wasn't Simms. All world as a high school player, but less than stellar stats as a JC QB, yet he ends up taking snaps for one of the marquis programs in all of FBS. The staff at Tennessee were sold potential on this kid and so far, he has not lived up to expectations. Meanwhile, other programs in the SEC effectively recruited lesser talent, without all of the advantages the Simms last name can afford, who bought into the system, worked hard, and have become terrific players. So maybe it was a leap for me to say "entitlement", but anyone with his skill set and talent should be performing at a higher level.

Sooner_Tuf
2/6/2011, 02:43 PM
Phil Simms greatest accomplishment was his ability to come back after numerous season ending injuries. Phil's boys are/were better college players than Phil was.

Leroy is still Leroy and N1B has a very valid point. Leroy you look at the world differently than most. At least differently than those of us that weren't reared in a San Fransisco bath house.

LoveDemSooners
2/6/2011, 03:06 PM
Desmond Howard would kick his ***

Leroy Lizard
2/6/2011, 03:24 PM
Desmond Howard would kick his ***

6'3", 218 lb versus 5'8", 200 lb? Not so sure about that. ;)

But whatever.

I think the criticism of Phil is warranted. Turning that around and pointing the fingers at the kids is ridiculous. Chris has certainly done some things to warrant criticism (playing for the Horns is the biggest), but Matt's biggest crime so far appears amounts to nothing more than having the wrong last name (and having a brother who played for the Horns). Is he the first QB to have performed under his recruiting expectations?

There's a bit of hypocrisy here: We gripe that Matt has been given more chances to succeed because of his last name; all the while we criticize him mostly because of his last name.

LoveDemSooners
2/6/2011, 03:46 PM

But whatever.

I think the criticism of Phil is warranted. Turning that around and pointing the fingers at the kids is ridiculous. Chris has certainly done some things to warrant criticism (playing for the Horns is the biggest), but Matt's biggest crime so far appears amounts to nothing more than having the wrong last name (and having a brother who played for the Horns). Is he the first QB to have performed under his recruiting expectations?

There's a bit of hypocrisy here: We gripe that Matt has been given more chances to succeed because of his last name; all the while we criticize him mostly because of his last name.

Desmond has speed and quickness...Phil is slow...and white lol jk

Leroy Lizard
2/6/2011, 04:00 PM

White guilt sucks.

oudavid1
2/6/2011, 05:06 PM
Im a Vol fan. And Dez is right, Tyler Bray all the way.

MI Sooner
2/6/2011, 10:11 PM
I wonder if the dad of the other SEC QB that Howard referred to as "[one of] the worst in the SEC" threatened Desmond Howard. I mean, that would be justified, right, just like Simms was?

oumartin
2/6/2011, 10:17 PM
I can sum this up by saying Leroy is a loser

oulucas
2/6/2011, 10:53 PM

Agreed

Leroy Lizard
2/6/2011, 11:45 PM

Back to middle school we go. :rolleyes:

setem
2/6/2011, 11:47 PM

The **** you say?

Leroy Lizard
2/7/2011, 12:05 AM
The **** you say?

Six months ago he was praising Colt McCoy.He's just going through an experimental phase right now.

CrimsonJim
2/7/2011, 12:13 AM

And all this time I thought you were a Sooner fan. :confused:

Sooner_Tuf
2/7/2011, 07:08 AM
Back to middle school we go. :rolleyes:

I gotta agree with Martin on this.

oudavid1
2/7/2011, 08:31 AM
The **** you say?

Six months ago he was praising Colt McCoy.He's just going through an experimental phase right now.

And all this time I thought you were a Sooner fan. :confused:

lol im a Sooner first, and when OU plays em in a few i hope they absolutely stomp them. But my entire family is from Tennessee.

My two great uncles, including my namesake played for Tennessee, but my grand dad was a Sooner.

Boomer Sooner. All the way.

cleller
2/7/2011, 08:41 AM

Were they the same age, I'd take Phil. The size, plus the strength of an NFL QB's arm. In their prime, Phil really was a bigger guy. Right now, Phill's 55 Desmond 40.

I guess they really will just have to duke out, how else will this get solved?

Luckily for Desmond, he never said anything bad about Kent Bradford's son.

Leroy Lizard
2/7/2011, 11:35 AM
lol im a Sooner first, and when OU plays em in a few i hope they absolutely stomp them. But my entire family is from Tennessee.

My two great uncles, including my namesake played for Tennessee, but my grand dad was a Sooner.

Pssst... I don't think anyone was really being serious. :rolleyes:

TopDawg
2/7/2011, 11:45 AM

I thought the same thing back in high school when a sophomore basketball player took on a senior lineman. (They were about the same height, but the lineman had way more than 18 pounds on the cager.) The lineman's heft was no match for the basketball player's quickness.

I'd take Desmond over Phil. The measurables are misleading...especially when you leave out age.

Leroy Lizard
2/7/2011, 11:52 AM
I thought the same thing back in high school when a sophomore basketball player took on a senior lineman. (They were about the same height, but the lineman had way more than 18 pounds on the cager.) The lineman's heft was no match for the basketball player's quickness.

I'd take Desmond over Phil. The measurables are misleading...especially when you leave out age.

Few of these guys are very good fighters, so there's no way of telling. But I'll take the larger dude in a real street fight unless his size is all fat.

SouthFortySooner
2/7/2011, 12:23 PM

You think its easy to find the contrary view of EVARY post? I appreciate the effort.

RacerX
2/8/2011, 02:34 PM
The **** you say?

I won't believe it until he tweets it and then pastes the tweet here.:eddie:

swardboy
2/8/2011, 03:09 PM

Dayum.