PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Stick linoleum/vinyl tiles...

OU-HSV
2/6/2011, 09:03 AM
Has anyone used these before?? Are they decent for small areas? Any pointers or advice for putting it down? Seems like it's gonna be pretty easy really. I plan to still put some adhesive down before sticking them in place, any pointers beyond that are appreciated.

I have a small (20 sq ft.) hallway coming in from my garage that I'm thinking about pulling up the carpet and putting these things down. To me carpet in a hallway coming in from the garage is damn near as bad and idea as carpet in a bathroom. Some reason both my bathrooms, kitchen, laundry room, and front entry way have linoleum but the builder thought this particular hallway didn't need it. What makes it more odd is that one of the doorways that opens up to this hallway is from my laundry room. They should've just laid the linoleum out a little further so it could cover this hallway. Oh well, gives me something to do.

olevetonahill
2/6/2011, 09:13 AM
If its a good quality DONT use additional stickum Just make it harder to take up when ya need to replace a few.

Biggest thing is to just make sure the sub floor is CLEAN and DRY

OU-HSV
2/6/2011, 09:17 AM
If its a good quality DONT use additional stickum Just make it harder to take up when ya need to replace a few.
Biggest thing is to just make sure the sub floor is CLEAN and DRY

Oh that's good stuff right there, I didn't think about that

olevetonahill
2/6/2011, 09:24 AM
Oh that's good stuff right there, I didn't think about that

An easy way to take one up thats been cut or torn is to take a small hand torch and heat it up some , softens the sticky and lets it release easier ;)

btk108
2/6/2011, 09:45 AM
If you're going to put that much effort into it, just tile it.

olevetonahill
2/6/2011, 09:56 AM
If you're going to put that much effort into it, just tile it.

ceramic tile is a hell of lot more work

btk108
2/6/2011, 10:10 AM
Vet...not really. I thought it was but after we did a couple of areas in the house, it wasn't as bad as you think. If you're installing on a concrete slab, it's a breeze. Wood floor, if you prep it right, not too bad either.

olevetonahill
2/6/2011, 10:22 AM
Vet...not really. I thought it was but after we did a couple of areas in the house, it wasn't as bad as you think. If you're installing on a concrete slab, it's a breeze. Wood floor, if you prep it right, not too bad either.

Ive done both also , Just saying the peel and stick is far easier and a lot cheaper;)

OU-HSV
2/6/2011, 11:09 AM
Ive done both also , Just saying the peel and stick is far easier and a lot cheaper;)

Yeah I've put ceramic down before too and I'm not interested in doing that for this little hallway. It's too much prep work and more expensive than I'm interested in putting in this little project. We'll probably be looking to move into a bigger home this year, so if I can get the peel and stick to look good enough..that's what I'm after. Affordable, easy, quick, etc.
My dad put peel and stick down before in a small bathroom and it looked good when he finished.

olevetonahill
2/6/2011, 11:16 AM
Just follow the directions on the Box, Should be able to do it in ni time,
One of the good parts is about the only "Tool" you will need is a Utility knife or a good pair of scissors

OUHOMER
2/6/2011, 11:46 AM
Do not put this down on wood sub floor.. trust me....

Newbomb Turk
2/6/2011, 11:49 AM
ceramic tile is a hell of lot more work

I agree 100%

I've done both in the same bathroom. The peel & stick stuff is very easy and relatively quick.

olevetonahill
2/6/2011, 11:57 AM

I have wood floors and used it in my Laundry room, almost 20 yrs ago, Most of its still there ;)

BudSooner
2/6/2011, 12:48 PM
Never EVER volunteer to tile a friends shower, that is a frienship killer, I helped a buddy tile his with the understanding that it would be one color- WHITE, he then talked to his gf who wanted flowers on every other tile but he wanted a black and white pattern.

Mind you this was after the prep work was done, he relented and got the floral pattern.

If I ever end up alone and tile my own shower it will probably have women with huge racks on the tiles. :D

TheHumanAlphabet
2/6/2011, 02:52 PM
Try a floating floor with Marmoleum, the original linoleum...

OU-HSV
2/6/2011, 03:00 PM

My subfloor is concrete, so no worries there.

pphilfran
2/6/2011, 03:13 PM
Don't go Micky Mouse and use peel an stick...

You can find laminate for that space for less than $100...

http://www.lumberliquidators.com/home.jsp?gclid=COvd4ams9KYCFY64KgodYUUzCA