View Full Version : Tulsa man fatally shot while shoveling snow

mgsooner
2/6/2011, 02:17 AM
Awesome.

Tulsa man fatally shot while shoveling snow

by: DEON J. HAMPTON World staff writer
Saturday, February 05, 2011
2/5/2011 8:08:54 PM

Tulsa police have arrested a man suspected of fatally shooting another man as he shoveled snow in his driveway Saturday afternoon, jail records show.

Marke “Ke Ke” Hayes, 31, was booked into Tulsa Jail at 3:25 p.m. on complaints of first-degree murder and possession of a firearm after Joseph Garfield was shot in the head with a semi-automatic handgun, records show.

Officers said Saturday that the victim was 53 years old.

Garfield was apparently helping Hayes free his vehicle from the snow when Hayes became angry and shot the victim, an arrest reports states. The vehicle was parked near Garfield’s home in the 1300 block of North Main Street, according to the report.

After shooting the victim, Hayes hit the man with a shovel and attempted to bury him under the snow in the front yard, witnesses told police.

Tulsa Police Cpl. Ron Clark said authorities found the suspect a few streets away in the 1400 block of North Boston Avenue and said he appeared “unstable.”

Authorities responded to the scene around noon, Clark said.

Hayes’ arrest report shows he was arrested for felonies in 1999, 2001 and 2008.

He is scheduled for a court hearing on Feb. 14 in connection with Saturday’s fatal shooting.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20110205_11_0_Amanwa403275

sooner59
2/6/2011, 02:21 AM
Another FAIL by humanity. When they meet their maker...well...they'll deserve what happens next.

sperry
2/6/2011, 02:23 AM
Another FAIL by humanity. When they meet their maker...well...they'll deserve what happens next.

We are a pretty sorry species.

GKeeper316
2/6/2011, 02:30 AM
We are a pretty sorry species.

that's a bit harsh...

mgsooner
2/6/2011, 02:34 AM
http://docapp065p.doc.state.ok.us/servlet/page?_pageid=394&_dad=portal30&_schema=PORTAL30&doc_num=273723&offender_book_id=163705&imageindex=4

sooner59
2/6/2011, 02:38 AM
Drug user/dealer gets pizzed at a guy helping him shovel snow and ends his life. Awesome. I can't wait to have children.

Soonerfan88
2/6/2011, 03:57 AM
Tulsa Police Cpl. Ron Clark said authorities found the suspect a few streets away in the 1400 block of North Boston Avenue and said he appeared “unstable.”

I'd say unstable might be an understatement.

opksooner
2/6/2011, 09:03 AM
Drug user/dealer gets pizzed at a guy helping him shovel snow and ends his life. Awesome. I can't wait to have children.
Hell, maaan. He was shovellin' the wrong way! He had it comin', ya know?

OU-HSV
2/6/2011, 09:11 AM
This really is ridiculous. It's a wonder so many people are still out there offering help in this crazy world. You just never know when you're gonna run into a screwball like this and offer help to the wrong person anymore. It's a damn shame.
I hate to say it and it's a shame it's come to this, but these situations make me think twice about helping people who look like they need help. Especially if I have my family with me at the time.

87sooner
2/6/2011, 09:12 AM
let that be a lesson....
someone gets stuck in the snow and wants help...
shoot them first...

unbiasedtruth
2/6/2011, 10:13 AM
i'll push the plunger, pull the lever, flip the switch, pull the trigger for free if the state needs someone to put this low-life SOB down....

ya this is going to sound cold and harsh.... you commit an act of violence against humanity.... try them, if found guilty, hang them by their neck until dead dead dead the very next day. They have no rights now....

I'm sure there are individuals that would come to his side and say....
oh wait during his childhood, or his father, or his mother..... screw all that **** these type of people dont deserve to drink whats left of the clean water or breathe whats left of the clean air....

But you know what, those individuals are just as ****ed as the ones committing the crime.....

picasso
2/6/2011, 10:21 AM
I helped 3 different vehicles out two days ago in front of my house.

One was a neighbor down the street. The 2nd was a car full of hawt blondes who were not dressed for the weather (more like going to the mall). The 3rd was a guy across the street who was visiting our neighbors who we are convinced sell some sort of drugs.

So apparently with the latter I was near death and didn't know it.

olevetonahill
2/6/2011, 10:31 AM
I helped 3 different vehicles out two days ago in front of my house.

One was a neighbor down the street. The 2nd was a car full of hawt blondes who were not dressed for the weather (more like going to the mall). The 3rd was a guy across the street who was visiting our neighbors who we are convinced sell some sort of drugs.

So apparently with the latter I was near death and didn't know it.

Hell Id of been near death with the :hot: blondes , Im sure a car load of em would kill my old ***, either that or Id just die Happy ;)

picasso
2/6/2011, 10:43 AM
Hell Id of been near death with the :hot: blondes , Im sure a car load of em would kill my old ***, either that or Id just die Happy ;)

Oh I took notice!:D So did my college grad frat boy neighbors, one of them almost slipped and fell down rushing out to help them.

olevetonahill
2/6/2011, 10:47 AM
Oh I took notice!:D So did my college grad frat boy neighbors, one of them almost slipped and fell down rushing out to help them.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

sooner ngintunr
2/6/2011, 10:51 AM
http://kotv.images.worldnow.com/images/13976294_BG5.jpg

olevetonahill
2/6/2011, 11:01 AM

Is that "Dead Eye"?;)

SicEmBaylor
2/6/2011, 11:02 AM
I am so f'n sick of these dbags.

Leroy Lizard
2/6/2011, 11:21 AM
Hayes’ arrest report shows he was arrested for felonies in 1999, 2001 and 2008.

Read more from this Tulsa World article at http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20110205_11_0_Amanwa403275

Three Strikes would have saved Garfield's life if Hayes had been convicted. (These charges were probably reduced to misdemeanors. We don't want to get the criminal in trouble, ya' know.)

olevetonahill
2/6/2011, 11:30 AM
"Arrested" aint convicted :rolleyes:

SicEmBaylor
2/6/2011, 11:33 AM
Three Strikes would have saved Garfield's life if Hayes had been convicted. (These charges were probably reduced to misdemeanors. We don't want to get the criminal in trouble, ya' know.)

A rope from the hardware store and a good sturdy tree would be much cheaper and more effective.

sooner ngintunr
2/6/2011, 11:36 AM
Is that "Dead Eye"?;)

Probably, its for sure more than just lazy.

Partial Qualifier
2/6/2011, 11:39 AM

Seriously, every time a repeat offender murders an innocent person I wonder what the **** are we doing, letting people like this loose in the world??

How can we fix it? I'm not talking rehabilitation, F that. I'm all for changing "Three strikes and you're out" to a mandated, no-loopholes "Three strikes and you're dead".

Leroy Lizard
2/6/2011, 12:11 PM
Seriously, every time a repeat offender murders an innocent person I wonder what the **** are we doing, letting people like this loose in the world??

My feeling is that if a man is arrested for a felony, try him for the felony. A misdemeanor weekend in jail is not going to deter people like this. All it does is postpone a tragedy for a few days.

I would be very interested in seeing what arrests were made prior to the shooting and how much time was actually served.

olevetonahill
2/6/2011, 12:22 PM
ODCR Dont show Tulsa County arrests. Maybe Homey er some other Lawyer can access the records .

olevetonahill
2/6/2011, 12:23 PM
My feeling is that if a man is arrested for a felony, try him for the felony. A misdemeanor weekend in jail is not going to deter people like this. All it does is postpone a tragedy for a few days.

I would be very interested in seeing what arrests were made prior to the shooting and how much time was actually served.

You say that until YOU or some one you care about gets arrested on some BS felony charge :rolleyes:

Leroy Lizard
2/6/2011, 12:28 PM
You say that until YOU or some one you care about gets arrested on some BS felony charge :rolleyes:

Naturally I never want the rule applied to me. That would be stupid.

MR2-Sooner86
2/6/2011, 12:37 PM

What a waste of air.

yermom
2/6/2011, 12:38 PM
from the link, the other charges don't appear to have been violent

three strikes your dead for drug charges seems a bit harsh...

OUthunder
2/6/2011, 01:12 PM
Another FAIL by our justice system.

XingTheRubicon
2/6/2011, 01:50 PM
Ndamakong Suh doesn't seem so bad after all.

jkjsooner
2/6/2011, 03:28 PM

That would be fine if there weren't so many B.S. interpretations of the law that get abused by DA's to charge someone with a felony with the intent of getting them to admit to a lower crime.

A prime example: http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143317&highlight=felony

stoopified
2/6/2011, 03:33 PM
This really is ridiculous. It's a wonder so many people are still out there offering help in this crazy world. You just never know when you're gonna run into a screwball like this and offer help to the wrong person anymore. It's a damn shame.
I hate to say it and it's a shame it's come to this, but these situations make me think twice about helping people who look like they need help. Especially if I have my family with me at the time.Sad but true

Cornfed
2/6/2011, 03:38 PM
Now had we had open carry the 12 neighbors could have riddled his body......