PDA

View Full Version : Procedure on getting a passport?

ouwasp
2/5/2011, 02:03 PM
My soon-to-be 18 yr old daughter is kicking around the idea of going to Germany to visit a friend this summer...actually, she wants to do it, the wife and I are kicking it around...

Anyhow, what sort of hoops do I have to jump through to obtain a passport for her? We live near Tulsa. How much time is required?

Thanks for any info...

Soonerfan88
2/5/2011, 02:06 PM
http://www.usps.com/passport/welcome.htm

Start here, it's really not that difficult.

Soonrboy
2/5/2011, 02:11 PM
Get started ASAP...it takes awhile

StoopTroup
2/5/2011, 02:13 PM
She needs to write a check to send in along with a passport pic. I think you have to send two pics

ouwasp
2/5/2011, 02:14 PM
Wow, that was fast. And you're correct... it does look pretty easy...nearby too... :)

StoopTroup
2/5/2011, 02:15 PM
Get started ASAP...it takes awhile

Yep. Also if she wants to get around cheap she should do her Homework and talk to some folks who have been where she wants to go.

ouwasp
2/5/2011, 02:37 PM
Yep. Also if she wants to get around cheap she should do her Homework and talk to some folks who have been where she wants to go.

Thanks. If she goes, she'll be staying w/ the family of a foreign exchange friend from a couple yrs ago. The German girl spent a week with us last summer; took her to Branson. She was amazed... :cool:

So, anyhow, the accommodations/transport is as cheap as it gets... once she arrives at Cologne...

Okla-homey
2/5/2011, 02:49 PM
Tell her not to agree to share a cab with any nice young men she meets at the airport.

sooner59
2/5/2011, 02:53 PM
Tell her not to agree to share a cab with any nice young men she meets at the airport.

That was a creepy-*** movie. It makes me question as to whether I would ever let a daughter travel abroad.

SoonerJack
2/5/2011, 04:22 PM
That was a creepy-*** movie. It makes me question as to whether I would ever let a daughter travel abroad.

If I had a daughter she wouldn't leave the compou...err yard. Seriously, when I saw this movie I was thinking, "no freaking way"

yermom
2/5/2011, 04:25 PM
heh. what movie is this?

sooner59
2/5/2011, 04:40 PM
Taken

ouwasp
2/5/2011, 04:48 PM
heh. what movie is this?

They're talking about Taken. American teen girl & friend go to Europe to see some rock concerts. Get set up by a low-life at the airport/on the plane. Soon they get kidnapped into a sex-slave ring. But the girl has a James Bond-type dad that jets across the Atlantic and starts kicking *** & taking names, shooting off more bullets than Rambo....

Hmmm, did I forget anything? Nope, that's pretty much the plot.

Since the German girl and her dad will be mtg her at the airport if daughter does indeed go, I'm not worried about the Euro-trash. :P

SoCaliSooner
2/5/2011, 05:08 PM
Figure about 6 weeks for it...but you'll probably get it in 3.

EnragedOUfan
2/5/2011, 06:25 PM
Have her get the application, go to Walgreens and knock out the passport photo, and follow the instructions. She'll probably have to mail her orginal birth certificate and social security card. It will probably cost at least $100.00, but they can expedite it pretty quick for extra. My passport took around 6 weeks and I did not expedite it. My daughters took 2 months. My dad had his expedited and I think he got it back in 3-4 weeks, I can't recall. Just don't wait until the last minute and your golden.

Ardmore_Sooner
2/5/2011, 07:41 PM
Got mine back in November for my honeymoon last month. PM me if you have any questions.

soonerbrat
2/5/2011, 09:36 PM
the main post office in OKC does everything for you. they take your picture and send it off for you..if you expedite it and pay for overnight return, you can get it in 7 days. I'm sure there's a post office near you that does the same thing. you can also take the application, ID's and photos to the courthouse and they'll send it off for you.

olevetonahill
2/5/2011, 10:02 PM
Never had one
Never needed one, and yet Ive been around the world :cool:
Prolly never get one .
But I do know if ya slip Dean some bucks he can cut some red tape fer ya :D

SanJoaquinSooner
2/5/2011, 10:49 PM
Never had one
Never needed one,

You sound like some of my friends here in the San Joaquin Valley.

olevetonahill
2/5/2011, 11:15 PM
You sound like some of my friends here in the San Joaquin Valley.

Cept Ive always been LEGAL:rolleyes: