PDA

View Full Version : I need advice on sending a care package to a soldier in Iraq

lexsooner
2/5/2011, 11:48 AM
One of my co-workers is serving in the U.S. Army in Iraq. Some of us are getting together to send her a care package - gum, candy, conditioner, books, magazines, cigars, writing material, snacks, all items she has requested. I have been tasked with shopping and mailing. Has anyone mailed packages to soldiers in Iraq? Are the packages searched? Should I be concerned with theft? Any recommended mail services? Any advice would be helpful.

okie52
2/5/2011, 12:05 PM
Yep, there's theft (or incompetence). Mailed my son a mini computer in Iraq and it never got there.

Don't mail candy (or anything subject to damage from heat)...most it will melt and be useless. Now, dealing with guys, their 1st love of food being shipped over to Iraq was beef jerky. Couldn't get enough of it.

Don't know where your co-worker is stationed so she may have access to some food and other items. Good luck to her.

lexsooner
2/5/2011, 12:19 PM
Thanks, Okie52. She is at Camp Taji. My understanding is their PX is large but is lacking in many items. She said they don't have decent hair conditioner or other beauty products or even some hygiene items. It is fairly cool there this time of year, so I am hoping the candy and gum will be ok.

2121Sooner
2/5/2011, 12:22 PM
Pork products and whiskey.

You're welcome.

StoopTroup
2/5/2011, 12:24 PM
Take a long weekend and fly over there. The War is Over.

;)

afs
2/5/2011, 12:39 PM
You'll have to send w/ the USPS - recommend flat rate boxes. Be ready to fill out custom forms listing items and values being sent in the packages. I think all are x-rayed and hand searches come from those results (unless it's suspicious from the start. Theft - always a concern, but if you're sending normal stuff like soap, hair products, magazines, candy - not likely to be a target. 3 deployments/3 years overseas and I've never had an issue with theft. Make sure the containers are well taped and in good condition from the start as military cargo planes and mail room attendants aren't always gentle.

SunnySooner
2/5/2011, 12:50 PM
I'm your girl, Mr. SS just got back from a 13 month deployment in the sand.

USPS has a special "America Cares" or somesuch box for care packages. It's a flat rate, costs about $11, and that's for as much as you can cram into the box and still get it taped shut, it doesn't matter how much it weighs.

We never had a problem with it being opened or searched, there is a customs form that you have to fill out when you ship the box. You list all of the box's contents and their value. That's it, though.

Second the beef jerky, I make that at home, and sent many bags of it to him. The other thing he loved was a small photo album that I just stuck a ton of old and not-so-old pictures into it. That might be fun for your friend, just gather some snapshots from everyone and put them together for her.

Lemme know if you have any more questions, I got to be a pro at this while he was gone.

lexsooner
2/5/2011, 01:12 PM
I'm your girl, Mr. SS just got back from a 13 month deployment in the sand.

USPS has a special "America Cares" or somesuch box for care packages. It's a flat rate, costs about $11, and that's for as much as you can cram into the box and still get it taped shut, it doesn't matter how much it weighs.

We never had a problem with it being opened or searched, there is a customs form that you have to fill out when you ship the box. You list all of the box's contents and their value. That's it, though.

Second the beef jerky, I make that at home, and sent many bags of it to him. The other thing he loved was a small photo album that I just stuck a ton of old and not-so-old pictures into it. That might be fun for your friend, just gather some snapshots from everyone and put them together for her.

Lemme know if you have any more questions, I got to be a pro at this while he was gone.

Thanks! Does there have to be a U.S. Customs form enclosed in it? I've never mailed anything overseas, so I do not know if the procedure is any different from domestic mail.

Penguin
2/5/2011, 01:41 PM
If I were in Iraq, I would request extra absorbent Depends. I don't have the balls to be a soldier, and I sure as hell don't have the bladder and bowels required.

Flagstaffsooner
2/5/2011, 02:02 PM
"نريد البيرة"

SunnySooner
2/5/2011, 04:20 PM
Thanks! Does there have to be a U.S. Customs form enclosed in it? I've never mailed anything overseas, so I do not know if the procedure is any different from domestic mail.

No, you can fill it out at the post office, they just tape it to the outside of the box.

Fraggle145
2/5/2011, 04:45 PM
Hard candy, beef jerky, tobacco, and hot sauce.

Fraggle145
2/5/2011, 04:46 PM
Oh and baby wipes.

GKeeper316
2/5/2011, 05:06 PM
Oh and baby wipes.

this.

and baby powder.