PDA

View Full Version : Sam Adams...

MR2-Sooner86
2/4/2011, 05:48 PM
Is the tits.

Before the storm hit I got the last Winter Classics package at the liquor store to keep in spirit with being snowed in. I've been enjoying myself.

http://boabeerblog.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/sam-adams-winter-classics.jpg

I've now had all of Sam Adam's season beers. I only have two left in the Brewmaster's collection and I plan to knock out the Imperial Series and Barrel Room Collection here soon.

The one I REALLY want to try is Utopia.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2712/4334088944_69da011b8f.jpg
Of course any of their special releases I'd love to have.

Behind Guinness they're my favorite brewery. Boulevard is up there but they have a ways to go.

OUthunder
2/4/2011, 06:20 PM
The Octoberfest this year was really good. I still have a 12 pack left and will work on it during the SuperBowl.

The Winter Fest was a bit "perfumey" for my tastes. How's the Old Fezziwig Ale taste? Haven't seen that one before.

C&CDean
2/4/2011, 06:24 PM
What is "overrated beer for $100 Alex?"

I would try the old fezziwig though since I'm a huge Christmas Carol fan.

OUthunder
2/4/2011, 06:27 PM

Dean, usually I'd agree with you, a beer is a beer depending on the alcohol content. However, Sam Adams does make a good beer. I'll bring some Octoberfest to a tailgate next year, I think you'll like it. Full bodied but smooth. Good beer.

MR2-Sooner86
2/4/2011, 06:27 PM

Why do you hate America Dean? ;)

Boarder
2/4/2011, 06:46 PM
We had it several at several sf tailgates this year. SA is solid. There are some I dislike (Cranberry Lambic for instance) but overall you'll be getting some tasty with SA.

jumperstop
2/4/2011, 07:00 PM
Winter variety pack is good, pretty dark for my taste though.

JohnnyMack
2/4/2011, 07:08 PM
Nice to see they got rid of that ****ty cranberry lambic and replaced it with the chocolate bock.

KC//CRIMSON
2/4/2011, 07:18 PM
Nice to see they got rid of that ****ty cranberry lambic and replaced it with the chocolate bock.

From my neighbors down the street...

Boulevard Brewing Company: It's the news you've been waiting for! We expect Chocolate Ale to hit shelves in Kansas City next Tuesday. It will reach other markets in the next few weeks. Remember that it is a limited release so once it's gone, it's gone.

MR2-Sooner86
2/4/2011, 07:23 PM
When it comes to chocolate beers, it's hard to beat.

http://roccityreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Youngs-Double-Chocolate-Stout.jpg

starclassic tama
2/4/2011, 07:25 PM

how exactly is a beer overrated? they aren't super expensive, so price isn't the issue. and they do make quality beer. although i suppose that's open for interpretation, but i have enjoyed every sam adams i have tried.

delhalew
2/4/2011, 07:34 PM
When it comes to chocolate beers, it's hard to beat.

http://roccityreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Youngs-Double-Chocolate-Stout.jpg

Ohh. That sounds good. I know of no place in SW OK to get out of the ordinary micro brews. You would think there would be place in Lawton, bit all the liquor stores I've been in ate ghetto as hell.

Boomer.....
2/4/2011, 08:51 PM
I lubs me some Sam Adams.

OU-HSV
2/4/2011, 08:53 PM
I don't like all of the Sam Adams beers, but the Winter Lager is one of my favorites. Especially on tap. I hate myself for not buying a case of it before the snow hit. I ended up buying the cheap beer cause I was at walmart and it was convenient at the time cause I was in a hurry to get home. :O

delhalew
2/4/2011, 09:31 PM
I guess I should try it. There for a while, SA got out of control with the flavors. I don't need to have my mind blown. Just make a good beer.

The Profit
2/4/2011, 09:44 PM
There is a great been from cologne, Germany called Koelsch. I recently heard that it is available at Tapworks, but I haven't been there to confirm it. If you go there,it is worth a try.

OhU1
2/5/2011, 12:00 AM
Where the hell is the SA Scotch Ale? Didn't that used to be in the holiday pack? I have a real soft spot for the holiday pack. More craft brewers should do this.

I agree with OUthunder too - the SA Oktoberfest was very good this year. I had one sixer last year and that was it, meh, no big deal. This year I tried it again and it seemed much better. I re-purchased the Okfest 5 or 6 times over the season, typically at a decent low price to boot.

I typically think myself too "beer snobbed out" for SA beers much anymore but I'll always try Sam Adams new offerings and am often pleasantly surprised. SA beers are always good - and sometimes very good. It's obvious to me that SA can brew as good a beer as their choose to brew. SA's bread and butter is the bigger market so they don't choose to show off more than once or twice a year.

OUthunder
2/5/2011, 12:17 AM
Where the hell is the SA Scotch Ale? Didn't that used to be in the holiday pack? I have a real soft spot for the holiday pack. More craft brewers should do this.

I agree with OUthunder too - the SA Oktoberfest was very good this year. I had one sixer last year and that was it, meh, no big deal. This year I tried it again and it seemed much better. I re-purchased the Okfest 5 or 6 times over the season, typically at a decent low price to boot.

I typically think myself too "beer snobbed out" for SA beers much anymore but I'll always try Sam Adams new offerings and am often pleasantly surprised. SA beers are always good - and sometimes very good. It's obvious to me that SA can brew as good a beer as their choose to brew. SA's bread and butter is the bigger market so they don't choose to show off more than once or twice a year.

They had the Scotch Ale two years ago in the holiday pack. I liked it but it had a definite kick and flavor to it. It was not your average beer. I used some of it in my chili that year as well.

C&CDean
2/5/2011, 10:18 AM
OK, let me explain my dislike for SA:

I do not like Sam Adams primarily because I was up in Boston a couple years ago getting ready to go on a cruise and a bunch of my family members just HAD to go on a tour of the SA brewery. They were like giddy schoolchildren over it. All I heard was "let's go to the brewery NOW." In fact, they had to go more than once.

Freedom walk? Couldn't care less. Historical sites? Couldn't care less. Salem? Couldn't care less. Fenway Park? Couldn't care less. It was "ooh, ooh, Sam Adams, Sam Adams." Hell, they didn't even know who/what the real Sam Adams was until I explained it to them. They still didn't care. It was all about the brewery.

Finally, I get them to go walk around and guess what? We find the grave of Samuel Adams. Then all they wanted to do is get their pictures taken by it. They couldn't care less about all the other patriots or historical folks buried there and in other cemeteries.

Ever since then, I won't buy/drink a Sam Adams anything. It's just a matter of principle.

Harry Beanbag
2/5/2011, 10:41 AM
Sam Adams is ok in general, not one of my favorites. I've had most of their beers and every one of them has the same bitter hint to me, maybe it's the water they use. Old Fezziwig is probably one of their best. The Chocolate Bock is horrible....tastes like Yoohoo.

OUthunder
2/5/2011, 02:49 PM
Sam Adams is ok in general, not one of my favorites. I've had most of their beers and every one of them has the same bitter hint to me, maybe it's the water they use. Old Fezziwig is probably one of their best. The Chocolate Bock is horrible....tastes like Yoohoo.

Yoohoo? Cool, I'll get some for my kids.

Harry Beanbag
2/5/2011, 06:11 PM
Yoohoo? Cool, I'll get some for my kids.

Yes, just like this.

http://www.thesodagallery.com/shopping-cart/_files/ecommerce/t_44be8_yoohoo_16_small.jpg

I couldn't finish it. Nasty.

OUthunder
2/5/2011, 06:13 PM
Chocolate in beer is ghey.

Harry Beanbag
2/5/2011, 06:18 PM
Chocolate in beer is ghey.

Chocolate Bock by Sam Adams is ghey. If someone knows what they're doing it can be a nice addition. This has a hint of chocolate and coffee and is just amazing.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_wTjGT4mvsPQ/TPcdE3DKdwI/AAAAAAAAAlQ/jTpkBalKyao/s1600/FWVelvet.JPG

JohnnyMack
2/5/2011, 06:24 PM
Chocolate Bock by Sam Adams is ghey. If someone knows what they're doing it can be a nice addition. This has a hint of chocolate and coffee and is just amazing.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_wTjGT4mvsPQ/TPcdE3DKdwI/AAAAAAAAAlQ/jTpkBalKyao/s1600/FWVelvet.JPG

Anything FW does is good. Their Union Jack IPA is one my favorites.

sooner ngintunr
2/5/2011, 06:47 PM
Anything FW does is good. Their Union Jack IPA is one my favorites.

I used to live near that Brewery. Had a keg of their Double Barrel Ale @ my wedding. Love it. Went real fast. Haven't seen it Tulsa anywhere though. I would love to have a source if anyone knows where it can be had 'round these parts.

edit; I guess I could ask the ladies at my liquor store, if its available in Tulsa I'm pretty sure they can get it.

JohnnyMack
2/5/2011, 07:05 PM
I used to live near that Brewery. Had a keg of their Double Barrel Ale @ my wedding. Love it. Went real fast. Haven't seen it Tulsa anywhere though. I would love to have a source if anyone knows where it can be had 'round these parts.

edit; I guess I could ask the ladies at my liquor store, if its available in Tulsa I'm pretty sure they can get it.

Not distributed to OK. I think you can get a few of their offerings down in Texas and I know they have it AZ.

cccasooner2
2/5/2011, 07:17 PM

I do not like Sam Adams primarily because I was up in Boston a couple years ago getting ready to go on a cruise and a bunch of my family members just HAD to go on a tour of the SA brewery. They were like giddy schoolchildren over it. All I heard was "let's go to the brewery NOW." In fact, they had to go more than once.

Freedom walk? Couldn't care less. Historical sites? Couldn't care less. Salem? Couldn't care less. Fenway Park? Couldn't care less. It was "ooh, ooh, Sam Adams, Sam Adams." Hell, they didn't even know who/what the real Sam Adams was until I explained it to them. They still didn't care. It was all about the brewery.

Finally, I get them to go walk around and guess what? We find the grave of Samuel Adams. Then all they wanted to do is get their pictures taken by it. They couldn't care less about all the other patriots or historical folks buried there and in other cemeteries.

Ever since then, I won't buy/drink a Sam Adams anything. It's just a matter of principle.

Nice story. Most families have just one "cousin Eddie".

sooner ngintunr
2/5/2011, 07:27 PM
Not distributed to OK. I think you can get a few of their offerings down in Texas and I know they have it AZ.

Thanks. That blows. At least I know that I haven't unknowingly been missing out on it.

gaylordfan1
2/5/2011, 08:55 PM
Boston Lager is one of my go to beers..... The only problem is that it gives me horrible gas!

gaylordfan1
2/5/2011, 08:58 PM
http://thebeerguzzlers.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/bear-republic-hop-rod-rye.jpg

If you like a dark hoppy beer then try one of these. You can find it at the Cellar.

JohnnyMack
2/5/2011, 11:11 PM
From my neighbors down the street...

Boulevard Brewing Company: It's the news you've been waiting for! We expect Chocolate Ale to hit shelves in Kansas City next Tuesday. It will reach other markets in the next few weeks. Remember that it is a limited release so once it's gone, it's gone.

I heard something about that a while back. Sounds tasty. I have a bottle of their Bourbon Barrel Quad I haven't had yet. It's the kind of bottle I need reinforcements around to help me drink.

JohnnyMack
2/5/2011, 11:12 PM
http://thebeerguzzlers.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/bear-republic-hop-rod-rye.jpg

If you like a dark hoppy beer then try one of these. You can find it at the Cellar.

If you like that, try COOP Native Amber. A local product that is a fairly aggressively hopped take on the style.

btk108
2/6/2011, 09:09 AM
I'll bring Octoberfest to a tailgate next year, I think you'll like her. Full bodied but smooth.

Man, I can't wait to meet her. ;)

C&CDean
2/6/2011, 09:23 AM
If you like that, try COOP Native Amber. A local product that is a fairly aggressively hopped take on the style.

You shore got a purdy mouf boy.

btk108
2/6/2011, 09:27 AM
this one is nice....but you have to get it at the restaurant.

http://www.cookingbytheseatofmypants.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/meers-gold-beer.jpg

Pricetag
2/6/2011, 11:27 AM
All this talk about chocolate beer is reminding me of Denis Leary's "Beer-flavored Beer" stand up bit.

brian
2/6/2011, 05:41 PM
Nice story. Most families have just one "cousin Eddie".

kind of what I was thinking. wtf do a bunch of cousin eddies have to do with how good a beer tastes?

delhalew
2/6/2011, 05:46 PM
I'm about to make some oatmeal stout and a porter, then let them sit until next winter. I think I'll keg up a nice IPA for summer drinking. I'm looking for the perfect fridge for a kegerator.

bluedogok
2/6/2011, 06:29 PM

That's when you go on the "what I want to do portion of the trip". They are probably adults, they can find their own way home. I have had to do that on business trips when I had some non working time and everyone else had to get back to the hotel right after dinner or had no interest in seeing anything on a weekend. I roamed all over Tokyo seeing the city by myself this way.

delhalew
2/13/2011, 12:23 AM
Tried these guys tonight. Fade to Black v2 Smoked Baltic Porter. http://www.lefthandbrewing.com/beers
I'm digging the Porter
Also, got Boulevard's SingleWide IPA
Haven't tried the IPA, but folks seem to like Boulevard.

Tulsa_Fireman
2/13/2011, 12:31 AM
Let me know what recipe you use for that porter if and when you gin it up.

OU-HSV
2/13/2011, 12:38 AM
Tried these guys tonight. Fade to Black v2 Smoked Baltic Porter. http://www.lefthandbrewing.com/beers
I'm digging the Porter
Also, got Boulevard's SingleWide IPA
Haven't tried the IPA, but folks seem to like Boulevard.

Damn, that Fade to Black looks like some dark, heavy stuff. Probably more heavy than I prefer.

I'm a fan of Boulevard, but I haven't tried that SingleWide of their's yet. Was it good stuff?

delhalew
2/13/2011, 01:12 AM
Damn, that Fade to Black looks like some dark, heavy stuff. Probably more heavy than I prefer.

I'm a fan of Boulevard, but I haven't tried that SingleWide of their's yet. Was it good stuff?

The SingleWide Is a good classic IPA. It has all the flavor of an extra fermentation, but with a smooth finish.

I will say the Fade to Black was serious ****. While no where near the Wake Up Dead, it is a strong porter. I am big on Porters and Stouts so I am used to it. Even so...dang.

Mind you, it is not particularly thick. Not like an stout.