PDA

View Full Version : Ndamukong Suh is a piece of trash

Pages : [1] 2

BOOMERBRADLEY
2/4/2011, 04:55 PM
I met him today at the hotel where I work. I then watched him gripe out my valet's for getting snow on his floormats while snow was coming in sideways in Dallas. I overheard the entire conversation...and I quote

Valet - opens car door and waits for Suh
Suh - "Getting snow in a ni**as' car. I should beat your a$$"
Valet - "Mr Suh. I apologize, but I knocked as much off my feet as I could before I got in"
Suh - "Whatever. mumbles mother f'r"

No tips the entire time from him either

boomersooner28
2/4/2011, 04:58 PM
Karma. It will all come full circle. Be patient young jedi.

picasso
2/4/2011, 05:06 PM
Assault would have paid nicely.

KantoSooner
2/4/2011, 05:07 PM
Why am I having an impossible time imaging GK's mouth emitting these words?

yermom
2/4/2011, 05:11 PM
ask him how his Super Bowl is going

i figure he will be a spectator at them for a while playing for the Lions :D

IowaSooner26
2/4/2011, 05:12 PM
But he is he biggest thing since sliced bread. How dare you question his authority.:rolleyes:

ouduckhunter
2/4/2011, 05:14 PM
Oh my, that is really disgraceful! Jeesh, I will never understand why people think that they are so important that they can act that way to others. What a jerk!! Pfft!

Okie35
2/4/2011, 05:17 PM
The sad thing is, most NFL players are like this or professional players for that matter.

Soonermagik
2/4/2011, 05:34 PM
I can tell you many of these athletes act super nice and polite on tv, but are totally different when no cameras or media are present. He should be ashamed of acting that way. Too bad you didn't record it on your phone. I bet he would go from being a media darling to a villain.

Soonerwake
2/4/2011, 05:38 PM
The sad thing is, most NFL players are like this or professional players for that matter.

I don't agree. My brother has been in the PGA world for about 10 years and has met a multitude of PGA golfers, celebrities, and other athletes over the years at tournaments, pro-ams, etc. According to him, it is about 50/50. Some real jerks - Mike Schmidt, Phil Mickelson, Dan Marino (ouch), and Jerry Rice. Some nice guys - Michael Bolton, Mario Lemieux, Tiger (inside the clubhouse).

Okie35
2/4/2011, 05:41 PM
I don't agree. My brother has been in the PGA world for about 10 years and has met a multitude of PGA golfers, celebrities, and other athletes over the years at tournaments, pro-ams, etc. According to him, it is about 50/50. Some real jerks - Mike Schmidt, Phil Mickelson, Dan Marino (ouch), and Jerry Rice. Some nice guys - Michael Bolton, Mario Lemieux, Tiger (inside the clubhouse).

Yea, I shouldn't have said most but about half is right and some are jerks w/o even thinking about it and belittle others that aren't to their "status". Most of the younger guys are jerks though, they forgot how to be humble outside of the sport.

ouduckhunter
2/4/2011, 05:42 PM

That makes me laugh! :D

Flagstaffsooner
2/4/2011, 05:51 PM
He's a damn husker. Uppity snot.

Shakadoodoo
2/4/2011, 05:51 PM

That sounds more like rich people. NFL players just happen to be rich as well.
But..... inductive reasoning can kill you!

Soonerwake
2/4/2011, 05:55 PM
That makes me laugh! :D

Yes, I know. Funny thing was his girlfriend, Nicolette Sheridian, was also really cool from what I hear. My brother pulled rank and drove her around the course all day in a cart.

Eielson
2/4/2011, 05:56 PM
I guess that guy learned his lesson for lettin' snow in a n****'s car.

caseysooner
2/4/2011, 06:00 PM
In all honesty the valet should have known better and cleaned off the floor mats. I'd be pissed if the valet got my car dirty also.

BOOMERBRADLEY
2/4/2011, 06:00 PM
I guess that guy learned his lesson for lettin' snow in a n****'s car.

I lol'd

Shakadoodoo
2/4/2011, 06:04 PM
In all honesty the valet should have known better and cleaned off the floor mats. I'd be pissed if the valet got my car dirty also.

I bet a valet driver could get fired for that. That is a no no in that industry.

OUEngr1990
2/4/2011, 06:04 PM
why doesn't this surprise me

Mike Stoops
2/4/2011, 06:10 PM

I always heard Jerry Rice was a nice guy. I've got friends and family who live in Dallas and the stories about Emmitt Smith are the stuff of legend. Refusing to sign stuff for sick kids and the like.

JLEW1818
2/4/2011, 06:20 PM
no tips? lol, no surprise

soonerhubs
2/4/2011, 06:24 PM

BOOMERBRADLEY
2/4/2011, 06:24 PM

wow...

AlboSooner
2/4/2011, 06:25 PM
Suh is such a nagger. Nobody likes naggers.

yankee
2/4/2011, 06:28 PM
no tips? lol, no surprise

No mo' money after it all went to that weight training facility at Nebbish...

Shakadoodoo
2/4/2011, 06:32 PM

What?????

http://www.basookaboys.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/black-spider-monkey.jpg

OUthunder
2/4/2011, 06:34 PM
Money does weird **** to people.

As I always say... absolute power, corrupts absolutely.

Most of these guys are all an act.

JLEW1818
2/4/2011, 06:35 PM
I'm glad he is a Lion

OUthunder
2/4/2011, 06:37 PM
It probably wasn't even his car, most likely a free rental.

JLEW1818
2/4/2011, 06:38 PM
did he take the Wonderlic Test?

OUmillenium
2/4/2011, 06:47 PM
I've heard that Michael Bolton is a no-talent azz clown.

budbarrybob
2/4/2011, 06:50 PM
Money does weird **** to people.

As I always say... absolute power, corrupts absolutely.

Most of these guys are all an act.

Actually your quoting John Emerich Edward Dalberg-Acton, who said "All power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely".

But, you are absolutely right about money and **** and people. I wish I could have the opportunitiy to amend for all the transgressions of others ;)

badger
2/4/2011, 06:51 PM
If you ever have a chance like this again, get a cell phone camera video so that Suh will be forced to bend over like a beyonce to the media, apologizing for his "lack of judgment" or some BS term like that, and give the poor valet a public apology and maybe some autographed crap or something :D

That would have totally pwn3d Suh. Dude has endorsement deals to worry about. He can't be treating a poor valet like that when millions are at stake based on his nice guy "I donated to academics at Nebraksa" image. :rolleyes:

Soonermagik
2/4/2011, 06:52 PM

:eek: :eek: Gone in 3..2...1....

Sooner_Tuf
2/4/2011, 07:06 PM

"People Who Annoy You"

Shakadoodoo
2/4/2011, 07:14 PM

This is bigoted! I feel bad for you and everyone that ignores this. You should quit cheering for all the naggers who are on the team and that are at OU all together! Unless you mean he is crying. Still bad wording - what were you really thinking to come with such wit?

starclassic tama
2/4/2011, 07:23 PM

mannn i got banned for a few days for making this exact same joke... not about suh, but i used nagger.

Mike Stoops
2/4/2011, 07:31 PM
This is bigoted! I feel bad for you and everyone that ignores this. You should quit cheering for all the naggers who are on the team and that are at OU all together! Unless you mean he is crying. Still bad wording - what were you really thinking to come with such wit?

I agree. You should see some SEC message boards though. They don't even try to be clever about it. They just come out and say it.

adoniijahsooner
2/4/2011, 07:31 PM

and on black history month too...smh

MI Sooner
2/4/2011, 07:32 PM
Hey, at least he's not Blake Griffin. I'm not sure how he tips, but I do know he's a goddamned ginger.

MI Sooner
2/4/2011, 07:34 PM
mannn i got banned for a few days for making this exact same joke... not about suh, but i used nagger.

How traumatic. You should change your handle to "that nagger guy."

adoniijahsooner
2/4/2011, 07:35 PM
wow it seems everybody is looking to get banned tonight

Scott D
2/4/2011, 07:39 PM
damn valets need to know their role.

OUthunder
2/4/2011, 07:41 PM

Surely you jest?

OU4189
2/4/2011, 07:43 PM
Hey, at least he's not Blake Griffin. I'm not sure how he tips, but I do know he's a goddamned ginger.

:confused:

MI Sooner
2/4/2011, 07:45 PM
Sorry to take this thread off topic. But for some reason, this reminded me of my favorite episode of Wheel of Fortune (http://www.southparkstudios.com/full-episodes/s11e01-with-apologies-to-jesse-jackson). Man, has Vanna White lost it.

waynepayne
2/4/2011, 07:48 PM
Sorry to take this thread off topic. But for some reason, this reminded me of my favorite episode of Wheel of Fortune (http://www.southparkstudios.com/full-episodes/s11e01-with-apologies-to-jesse-jackson). Man, has Vanna White lost it.

How does everyone not know this bit and taht its what Albie was referencing??

seriously??

3rdgensooner
2/4/2011, 07:53 PM
A certain percentage of people from all walks or life are rude to valet's and other service industry workers.

How does everyone not know this bit and taht its what Albie was referencing??

seriously??Yeah, that surprised me as well.

oumartin
2/4/2011, 07:55 PM
Does anyone know when white history month is?

PSK2080
2/4/2011, 07:56 PM
Not only can I not imagine GK acting that way...I can't imagine the REAL ROY Sam Bradford acting that way...I wouldn't trade 1 Gerald McCoy or 1 Sam Bradford for 50 POS's like Suh...

Shakadoodoo
2/4/2011, 07:56 PM
Surely you jest?

Yea I see the joke - it's just not funny. Sounds like a joke you would say at a skin head convention.

Shakadoodoo
2/4/2011, 07:58 PM

Every month. Including February

XingTheRubicon
2/4/2011, 07:59 PM
Maybe it was a different Ndamukong Suh.

MI Sooner
2/4/2011, 08:02 PM
Maybe it was a different Ndamukong Suh.

This thread has two of the best jokes I've ever seen on this message board (and some people who are eager to tut tut and obviously have terrible taste in TV).

OUthunder
2/4/2011, 08:02 PM
Yea I see the joke - it's just not funny. Sounds like a joke you would say at a skin head convention.

Forget it.

MyT Oklahoma
2/4/2011, 08:04 PM
Not only can I not imagine GK acting that way...I can't imagine the REAL ROY Sam Bradford acting that way...I wouldn't trade 1 Gerald McCoy or 1 Sam Bradford for 50 POS's like Suh...

^^ This.

yankee
2/4/2011, 08:06 PM
and on black history month too...smh

We need to get a White History Month to even things out...smh

finster
2/4/2011, 08:06 PM
Just another two-faced Nebraska product, not unlike the myopic fan base I've come to despise and pity.
Self importance is “N”
No one else cares.

Shakadoodoo
2/4/2011, 08:10 PM
Sweetheart, you're kind of sensitive tonight, must be your time of the month.

I think you may be a little insensitive tonight. And I recognize bigotry at all times of the month so yes - its that time of the month.

OUthunder
2/4/2011, 08:13 PM
I think you may be a little insensitive tonight. And I recognize bigotry at all times of the month so yes - its that time of the month.

I removed my initial quote because I misread your post. I thought you were calling me a skinhead.

I'm married to a woman who is part Cherokee Indian, so I don't need a lecture in bigotry. However, IMHO, you overreacted.

oumartin
2/4/2011, 08:15 PM

There is no dedicated month. You'll have to forgive those that dont' get the whole let's celebrate the black race.

If you wanna be treated equal, act equal.

OUthunder
2/4/2011, 08:17 PM
There is no dedicated month. You'll have to forgive those that dont' get the whole let's celebrate the black race.

I watched BET a few years back, does that count? BTW, I heard a lot worse than nagger on that TV station.

oumartin
2/4/2011, 08:21 PM
I watched BET a few years back, does that count? BTW, I heard a lot worse than nagger on that TV station.

see but your not black, You can't talk to blacks the way blacks talk to black.
If you do that makes you a racist. go figure.

OUthunder
2/4/2011, 08:22 PM

You are correct sir. You my friend, are a honky. :D

yankee
2/4/2011, 08:23 PM

bazinga!

Shakadoodoo
2/4/2011, 08:24 PM
I removed my initial quote because I misread your post. I thought you were calling me a skinhead.

I'm married to a woman who is part Cherokee Indian, so I don't need a lecture in bigotry. However, IMHO, you overreacted.

Thats cool - but who isn't part Native American in this part of the country? I'm part Cherokee as well. but since I look black - Im perceived as fullblood "nagger". Point is that is unless you can show me where black people are on here making jokes about other races - I'm not feeling you. If respect is given - it shoule be returned. Leave the bigoted jokes to yourself - not you but the person who made the comment.

AlboSooner
2/4/2011, 08:25 PM

Its a joke off South Park. I thought everybody had seen the episode. Im not a bigot nor a racist, and I apologize if it came out that way.

Shakadoodoo
2/4/2011, 08:32 PM

Your serious? wow! Personaly - I don't call blacks naggas either! You can assume that if you want.

sooner ngintunr
2/4/2011, 08:34 PM
Alex, I'll take "people who annoy you" for five hundred.

oumartin
2/4/2011, 08:34 PM
Your serious? wow! Personaly - I don't call blacks naggas either! You can assume that if you want.

I didn't say you did. but alot of them do.

you are a little over sensitive.

oumartin
2/4/2011, 08:35 PM
Alex, I'll take "people who annoy you" for five hundred.

who are nagg..........ing wives alex? ;)

Shakadoodoo
2/4/2011, 08:38 PM
Its a joke off South Park. I thought everybody had seen the episode. Im not a bigot nor a racist, and I apologize if it came out that way.

I got you - Its all good - I never watch south park and don't let my kids watch that stuff either. So I guess that went over my head. people on these message boards spell bad language all different kind of ways to get away with it and "nagger" seemed to fit that category. My bad for "over reacting".

Shakadoodoo
2/4/2011, 08:40 PM
I didn't say you did. but alot of them do.

you are a little over sensitive.

OK.... But I am sure most people are over sensitive when you are talking about their race.

swardboy
2/4/2011, 08:42 PM
So "Shakadoodoo" isn't a racist handle?

AlboSooner
2/4/2011, 08:42 PM
I got you - Its all good - I never watch south park and don't let my kids watch that stuff either. So I guess that went over my head. people on these message boards spell bad language all different kind of ways to get away with it and "nagger" seemed to fit that category. My bad for "over reacting".

I see where youre coming from. It wasnt my best joke but it wasnt meant to be anything else but a joke. :)

Shakadoodoo
2/4/2011, 08:43 PM

I am equal! I could care less how you treat me.

yankee
2/4/2011, 08:45 PM
This thread needs tampons.

waynepayne
2/4/2011, 08:47 PM
This thread needs tampons.

As a woman I take offense to this.

(not really but just want to stay with the spirit of the thread :P)

Shakadoodoo
2/4/2011, 08:47 PM
So "Shakadoodoo" isn't a racist handle?

I actually got the name from a KKK website where they were disrespecting Shaka Zulu - so I thought I would take it and use it as a positive. Its meant to mean.... you can call us what you want - but I'm no dummy.

yankee
2/4/2011, 08:49 PM
I actually got the name from a KKK website where they were disrespecting Shaka Zulu - so I thought I would take it and use it as a positive. Its meant to mean.... you can call us what you want - but I'm no dummy.

What were you doing on a KKK website? Do you hate black people?

MI Sooner
2/4/2011, 08:50 PM
I see where youre coming from. It wasnt my best joke but it wasnt meant to be anything else but a joke. :)

Perhaps your joke was ill advised, since it was likely to go over peoples' heads or be otherwise misinterpreted, but don't apologize for the content. It WAS a good joke. The original post asterisks over the offending language, leaving the possibility for people to misinterpret. In this case, the twist is that, unlike Randy Marsh, you "mistake" (what I assume to be) a racial slur for a more benign but annoying habit.

Edit: After looking back at the first post, I see he typed "ni**as", so it couldn't be misinterpreted as naggers or naggas or whatever. But, if nothing else, you reminded me of one of my all time favorite episodes of one of my all time favorite shows.

Shakadoodoo
2/4/2011, 08:52 PM
What were you doing on a KKK website? Do you hate black people?

Nope I love all people - but sometimes ignorance amuses me! Illiterate Klansman and skin heads make me laugh.

oumartin
2/4/2011, 08:53 PM
I am equal! I could care less how you treat me.

Obviously you do care or you wouldn't be actin' a cry baby.

OU-HSV
2/4/2011, 08:59 PM
I've heard that Michael Bolton is a no-talent azz clown.

Haha, someone had to say it, right? I meant to find a pic to post of the real Michael Bolton from office space earlier when I was reading this thread and I forgot.

Shakadoodoo
2/4/2011, 09:00 PM
Obviously you do care or you wouldn't be actin' a cry baby.

That's funny. I guess things are what ever you perceive them to be.

soonerhubs
2/4/2011, 09:01 PM
Haha, someone had to say it, right? I meant to find a pic to post of the real Michael Bolton from office space earlier when I was reading this thread and I forgot.

Love that movie.

KC//CRIMSON
2/4/2011, 09:03 PM

Top two or three best usernames ever.

Soonerite
2/4/2011, 09:08 PM
:pop:

adoniijahsooner
2/4/2011, 09:18 PM
I'm black..I get the joke....but he also needs to apologiiiizze.

http://www.southparkstudios.com/download/images/season-11/1101/1101_apology.jpg

SCSooner71
2/4/2011, 09:19 PM
I agree. You should see some SEC message boards though. They don't even try to be clever about it. They just come out and say it.

I just call them canadians.

adoniijahsooner
2/4/2011, 09:24 PM

What do you mean by "act equal"? I have three children who make the best grades in a class full of Caucasian and Spanish children. So am I to think that I blacks are superior? Of course not! Having a month to look back and try to capture a heritage that was lost through the years due to blacks not even being allowed to read is not an issue. Just because whites don't have a month is no reason for you to get sensitive.

soonergirlNeugene
2/4/2011, 09:27 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Sz5ESDttTuE/S7jLPZqcm-I/AAAAAAAAAI8/dJFpwn2Lhog/s1600/mushroom-cloud-hb.jpg

OU-HSV
2/4/2011, 09:29 PM
Love that movie.

One of my favorites

SoCaliSooner
2/4/2011, 09:35 PM
I doubt this story even happened. just days earlier, Suh just happens to win an award over this boards Indian Jesus and somebody comes on here with a story..from a friend..about how supposedly bad
this guy is. On this board it will get a lot of traction and cement just how much better of a person Sam is and how the guy with better character was robbed of the award.

Second, if I valet my car I am paying a premium that my vehicle will be taken care of. I've used the valet's service to wash my vehicle and even detail it. So IF and I mean IF Suh had some dude bring his car back with melted snow in it, it's going to be wet. Suh's shoes will get wet, his mats will be wet and the car is now going to smell damp and will smell for days...all for the $40 or more that he paid to have his car taken care of.

I'd be pissed too....

Shakadoodoo
2/4/2011, 09:36 PM
What do you mean by "act equal"? I have three children who make the best grades in a class full of Caucasian and Spanish children. So am I to think that I blacks are superior? Of course not! Having a month to look back and try to capture a heritage that was lost through the years due to blacks not even being allowed to read is not an issue. Just because whites don't have a month is no reason for you to get sensitive.

You have to excuse oumartin - he has a deep seeded, involuntary, unconscious resentment for us bruthas. He expresses it in his comments - I am not inspired enough to go look but I would be willing to guarantee you could go look at his post and find he is not a fan of anything black!

Mike Stoops
2/4/2011, 09:39 PM
I doubt this story even happened. just days earlier, Suh just happens to win an award over this boards Indian Jesus and somebody comes on here with a story..from a friend..about how supposedly bad
this guy is. On this board it will get a lot of traction and cement just how much better of a person Sam is and how the guy with better character was robbed of the award.

Second, if I valet my car I am paying a premium that my vehicle will be taken care of. I've used the valet's service to wash my vehicle and even detail it. So IF and I mean IF Suh had some dude bring his car back with melted snow in it, it's going to be wet. Suh's shoes will get wet, his mats will be wet and the car is now going to smell damp and will smell for days...all for the $40 or more that he paid to have his car taken care of.

I'd be pissed too....

"Indian Jesus?" Classy. Boy, we've got some real beauties on this board.

SoCaliSooner
2/4/2011, 09:43 PM
"Indian Jesus?" Classy. Boy, we've got some real beauties on this board.

On this board, he is definitely Indian Jesus. I have read as much.....

soonerbub
2/4/2011, 09:46 PM
^^^^^^

http://www.theoffside.com/files/2010/11/red-card.jpg

KC//CRIMSON
2/4/2011, 09:46 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Paqaig5nJkM/R5p_ts3xL7I/AAAAAAAAAEU/wBXWwKO_lf4/s320/purple%2Bjesus.jpg

Don't forget Purple Jesus!

KNEE BRACE
2/4/2011, 09:51 PM
I never believe these stories, because 99% of the time they're entirely negative.

soonerbub
2/4/2011, 09:55 PM
Looks like I picked the wrong night to stop sniffin' glue

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_T1yn4ipuo_8/SWzOukepKGI/AAAAAAAAE2k/mwf_q-kQBBg/s320/sniffing_glue.jpg

SoCaliSooner
2/4/2011, 09:56 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Paqaig5nJkM/R5p_ts3xL7I/AAAAAAAAAEU/wBXWwKO_lf4/s320/purple%2Bjesus.jpg

Don't forget Purple Jesus!
Him too.....

soonergirlNeugene
2/4/2011, 10:20 PM
**Basically every post this azzhat has ever made**

You, sir are a textbook example of the following:
http://blogville.dailyadvocate.com/vitamint/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Internet-theory.jpg

VA Sooner
2/4/2011, 10:25 PM
Never knew that about him.

waynepayne
2/4/2011, 10:29 PM

I'd be pissed too....

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb191/Texas_Tornado1/potstirring.gif

Therealsouthsider
2/4/2011, 10:48 PM

.... what a suprising retort :pop:

ss

Leroy Lizard
2/4/2011, 11:03 PM
Nope I love all people - but sometimes ignorance amuses me! Illiterate Klansman and skin heads make me laugh.

If they're illiterate, how do they post on a message board?

Uh-oh.

boomermagic
2/4/2011, 11:19 PM
He's a damn husker. Uppity snot.

Wasn't he coached by Calahan at one time ? That would explain it..

BOOMERBRADLEY
2/4/2011, 11:39 PM
I never believe these stories, because 99% of the time they're entirely negative.

Believe it

BOOMERBRADLEY
2/4/2011, 11:39 PM
For all you bastards saying that Suh was right, I think you guys are equally as douchy as he was.

It's a valet service not a car detailing shop. Plus there was 6 inches of snow on the ground. What the F are they supposed to do ?!?

picasso
2/5/2011, 12:37 AM
A bartender at a downtown okc hotel told me Allen Iverson was one of the nicest folks he served. Good tipper too.

He also mentioned a few guys who requested bottles of vodka and whipped cream sent to their room at 3am.:O

pappy
2/5/2011, 01:16 AM
I work for a hotel/lodge for an oklahoma state park and there is absolutely 0 way Suh would've talked to me like that or anyone for that matter and me just cower down to him. I would've replied with some smart *** comment for sure. Being a jerk to people in an attempt to get your way might work at some places, but if I was that valet I would've been like I don't get paid enough to take crap from guests...I'm not a valet where I work I'm right there in the office so guests get to talk to me...I would've kicked Suh out of my hotel...guaranteed I don't care how rich or how super he thinks he is.

Skysooner
2/5/2011, 01:57 AM
Tell the mf to actually be someone before he goes off on someone else. When you treat valets and waiters like s***, that says more about you than anything else.

Seamus
2/5/2011, 02:00 AM
I bet a valet driver could get fired for that. That is a no no in that industry.

Yeah, everyone can see he should have gotten his arse beaten for that.

:rolleyes:

How many people in Dallas even know how to handle snow?

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
2/5/2011, 02:22 AM
Maybe it was a different Ndamukong Suh.WINNAH!!!

Sooner_Tuf
2/5/2011, 02:45 AM

Most years it is April 15th this year it falls on the 18th.

Gandalf_The_Grey
2/5/2011, 03:00 AM
Celebrities and athletes are very hit and miss. Peterson, TRRW, most of the Lakers, Larry Fitzgerald were all awesome. Most of the Thunder players are *******s.

Gandalf_The_Grey
2/5/2011, 03:11 AM
Also, what would Blake Griffin be...High Top Jesus...Roy Williams could be Superman Jesus. Gerald McCoy could be Spectacled Jesus.

sooner59
2/5/2011, 03:16 AM
Celebrities and athletes are very hit and miss. Peterson, TRRW, most of the Lakers, Larry Fitzgerald were all awesome. Most of the Thunder players are *******s.

What did they do? Just curious. :confused:

Gandalf_The_Grey
2/5/2011, 03:35 AM
Oh, I don't really want to throw them under the bus. It is mostly the young ones who think they are God's gift to the world. Kevin Durant, Krstic, and that giant kid from Ohio St. are pretty nice. But the rest of them are a little rude...not as bad as some though. The Laker were shockingly polite and nice. Luke Walton was really nice.

sooner59
2/5/2011, 04:00 AM
So Jeff Green, Harden, and Westbrook are kinda dooshes? I know nothing about them. Just wondering. That would be disappointing, though. At least they seem to like OKC and have a "team" feel to them.

Gandalf_The_Grey
2/5/2011, 05:07 AM
Never really met Jeff Green...other 2 can be dooshes...

swardboy
2/5/2011, 07:14 AM
Can't we all just get along?

101sooner
2/5/2011, 08:00 AM
Can't we all just get along?

Not during the off-season Rodney :D

SoonerBacker
2/5/2011, 08:15 AM

Try looking through a U.S. History book these days. That culture is far from lost! There is at LEAST one section in every chapter dealing with the contributions of African-Americans to the history of this nation. (Women, Native-Americans, Immigrants, etc too!)I'm not saying it shouldn't be there, but anyone who tries to claim that there needs to be a "Black History Month" in order to recapture a culture that was lost is not aware of how much effort has been made to recapture that culture in the history classes in this nation.

THAT is why I see no need for a "Black History Month." I am always asked by my admin what "special lessons" I have planned for February. I always inform them that I have nothing "special" planned. I teach about the contributions of ALL AMERICANS everytime I teach a unit! Just teach HISTORY! Quit trying to divide it up into categories!

Veritas
2/5/2011, 08:39 AM
Interesting story. A while back Suh was in at a restaurant in which I have a interest there in Dallas and was reported to be really nice and tipped well. Not over the top...about the average.

Lump me in with the dbags who think Suh was justified in being upset at the valet. If a valet got snow in the interior of a car then that is just plain crappy service and reflects poorly on the way the hotel trains its people to deal with the property of guests.

The way he reacted is a separate issue. If he said what BB said what he said, that's not the way to handle it at all.

Scott D
2/5/2011, 08:52 AM
Interesting story. A while back Suh was in at a restaurant in which I have a interest there in Dallas and was reported to be really nice and tipped well. Not over the top...about the average.

Lump me in with the dbags who think Suh was justified in being upset at the valet. If a valet got snow in the interior of a car then that is just plain crappy service and reflects poorly on the way the hotel trains its people to deal with the property of guests.

The way he reacted is a separate issue. If he said what BB said what he said, that's not the way to handle it at all.

Nothing negative reported about him up here either...and considering how willing the media here is to throw people from that organization under the bus, I'm still going to lean with isolated incident...and a valet that needs to know his role.

Scott D
2/5/2011, 08:54 AM
You have to excuse oumartin - he has a deep seeded, involuntary, unconscious resentment for us bruthas. He expresses it in his comments - I am not inspired enough to go look but I would be willing to guarantee you could go look at his post and find he is not a fan of anything black!

some of us don't share your same opinion. and I've never had any issues with oumartin.

Shakadoodoo
2/5/2011, 09:25 AM
some of us don't share your same opinion. and I've never had any issues with oumartin.

If you go read the comments - This has been settled.

Someone said something about hating naggers. To me it looked like they were just changing the I into an A so I addressed it. The person came back and explained it was a south park cartoon that he was referring to and did not mean to insinuate anything raciest and apologized for the comment.

And then I apologizes for over reacting.

Therefor this is done!

As for oumartin - I just said that because he was standing on the sideline making bs comments that had nothing to do with the original argument. He, as well as a couple of other were just egging s#it on. That is why I made that comment. Plus he made the comment -"If you want to be treated equal, then act Equal" That is as bigoted of a comment that I have ever herd. I should not have to expand on that!

But the truth is I know nothing of oumartin. And I am sure most people in the world have a deep seeded bigotry within them rather we want to admit it or not. Environment seems to make us that way.

But I settled the disagreement I had to begin with so this is over.

Now if you want to start a new thread on some other topics within the same realm - I'm all for - I like to build and debate, in the name of learning and understanding. Just let me know - I'm all in!

Shakadoodoo
2/5/2011, 09:26 AM
If they're illiterate, how do they post on a message board?

Uh-oh.

OK - Low Literate is a better word.

Shakadoodoo
2/5/2011, 09:44 AM
Try looking through a U.S. History book these days. That culture is far from lost! There is at LEAST one section in every chapter dealing with the contributions of African-Americans to the history of this nation. (Women, Native-Americans, Immigrants, etc too!)I'm not saying it shouldn't be there, but anyone who tries to claim that there needs to be a "Black History Month" in order to recapture a culture that was lost is not aware of how much effort has been made to recapture that culture in the history classes in this nation.

THAT is why I see no need for a "Black History Month." I am always asked by my admin what "special lessons" I have planned for February. I always inform them that I have nothing "special" planned. I teach about the contributions of ALL AMERICANS everytime I teach a unit! Just teach HISTORY! Quit trying to divide it up into categories!

This is a good topic for a different thread. Personally - I have two daughters who both graduated from Norman North (My babies I had while I was in college) and their knowledge about Afro American History was terrible. They had not learned about Black Wallstreet, Edwin P McCabe, The all Black Settlements/towns in Oklahoma, Black Seminoles, 3 Seminole wars, Black Native Americans, John Brown, Daniel Phillips Upham, Black Wichita Indians, The Olmecs, ect... ect... Ant that is just Black History that happened in this Region. (except the Olmecs)

Now I am not sure if you were their teacher or not - which is not of any importance, but Norman Black History SUCKS! Like most places. I have lived in Tulsa all my life and I did not learn about Black Wallstreet until I was in my 20's - after I left OU. Hell, I even went to church on Greenwood and watched them rebuild it after they filmed "Rumble Fish" - still learned nothing about it at school. When I was getting my education degree my professor told me we could not teach about Black Wallstreet because it opened up old wounds. THAT IS CRAZY. But we can build on this from teacher to teacher - and I will be willing to bet there is a lot of history you are not teaching - hell - they don't allow us to - so it is not your fault. And it is not just Black history - White, Native American, Asian, Hispanic, Arabic, ect, ect...... If you want to - we can start a new thread about this - I would love to build on the subject - But as I said before - This particular thread is done!

SoonerMom2
2/5/2011, 09:46 AM
I don't agree that most of the athletes that go pro are like this. When we lived outside San Antonio, I took the kids to the Oilers Training Camp because my son's favorite player, Eddie George, was a rookie. At the end of practice, they had the fans line up so the players could sign autographs. When George found out we were originally from Ohio he stopped to talk with us -- all the players including Steve McNair were really friendly and were so good with the kids. We walked in with Avery Johnson, the Spurs basketball player, to a youth event and didn't realize it was him until we saw him on the Court. He was very talkative and never would have known he was one of the Spurs players.

You have always had your prima donnas in sports but I don't think the vast majority are like that.

People like Suh would be the same no matter what he did for a living. You have class or no class and he has shown the way he plays the game he has no class. He is one of those thugs in the NFL that would take out a quarterback and laugh about it even after being fined. Think the rules need to change if you take out quarterback on a dirty play, you are suspended. A fine means nothing to these guys. Suh loves to lead with his helmet.

cccasooner2
2/5/2011, 10:30 AM
Nothing negative reported about him up here either...and considering how willing the media here is to throw people from that organization under the bus, I'm still going to lean with isolated incident...and a valet that needs to know his place.

FIFY

SoonerBacker
2/5/2011, 10:37 AM
This is a good topic for a different thread. Personally - I have two daughters who both graduated from Norman North (My babies I had while I was in college) and their knowledge about Afro American History was terrible. They had not learned about Black Wallstreet, Edwin P McCabe, The all Black Settlements/towns in Oklahoma, Black Seminoles, 3 Seminole wars, Black Native Americans, John Brown, Daniel Phillips Upham, Black Wichita Indians, The Olmecs, ect... ect... Ant that is just Black History that happened in this Region. (except the Olmecs)

Now I am not sure if you were their teacher or not - which is not of any importance, but Norman Black History SUCKS! Like most places. I have lived in Tulsa all my life and I did not learn about Black Wallstreet until I was in my 20's - after I left OU. Hell, I even went to church on Greenwood and watched them rebuild it after they filmed "Rumble Fish" - still learned nothing about it at school. When I was getting my education degree my professor told me we could not teach about Black Wallstreet because it opened up old wounds. THAT IS CRAZY. But we can build on this from teacher to teacher - and I will be willing to bet there is a lot of history you are not teaching - hell - they don't allow us to - so it is not your fault. And it is not just Black history - White, Native American, Asian, Hispanic, Arabic, ect, ect...... If you want to - we can start a new thread about this - I would love to build on the subject - But as I said before - This particular thread is done!

As you point out, there is a LOT of history that doesn't get covered in public schools. That is because there isn't enough time to cover every single thing that has EVER occured in EVERY culture. We hit the high points of ALL cultures and move along as best we can. That's why it is refered to as a SURVEY COURSE! As to the "THEY DON:T ALLOW US TO" argument, that is total BS. You can teach your students all of that! I would just challenge you to find the time to do it in 36 weeks of instruction (regular school schedule - NOT block). No one sits around telling teachers what they are not allowed to cover and what they must avoid! At least not at MY school.

Finally, as to the "THIS THREAD IS DONE" statement? I'm sorry - I'll continue to post my opinions on matters until a Moderator tells me to shut up or locks a thread.

Soonerjeepman
2/5/2011, 10:54 AM

as a public school educator in a majority minority district....I agree...

"majority minority"...hmmmm that struck me as funny...sorry...

Soonerjeepman
2/5/2011, 10:59 AM
oh....and bigotry goes ALL WAYS...I've seen more hate for light skin vs dark skin...or comments by kids about "white people"....it's funny cause I'm white but the kids don't see that when I ask them...

have a great day! GO Sooners!!!

Leroy Lizard
2/5/2011, 11:08 AM

Oklahoma History is only taught in one year of the high school curriculum, and only one substandard of the standards refers to the teaching of race relations in the state. To devote the time you want devoted to Oklahoma Black History would make it nearly impossible to teach the content the state expects of its teachers.

Here are the standards: http://sde.state.ok.us/Curriculum/PASS/Subject/socstud.pdf

Shakadoodoo
2/5/2011, 11:29 AM
As you point out, there is a LOT of history that doesn't get covered in public schools. That is because there isn't enough time to cover every single thing that has EVER occured in EVERY culture. We hit the high points of ALL cultures and move along as best we can. That's why it is refered to as a SURVEY COURSE! As to the "THEY DON:T ALLOW US TO" argument, that is total BS. You can teach your students all of that! I would just challenge you to find the time to do it in 36 weeks of instruction (regular school schedule - NOT block). No one sits around telling teachers what they are not allowed to cover and what they must avoid! At least not at MY school.

Finally, as to the "THIS THREAD IS DONE" statement? I'm sorry - I'll continue to post my opinions on matters until a Moderator tells me to shut up or locks a thread.

I just said this tread it done meaning the disagreement I had and the reason we were talking about this on a thread about Suh, is done. I just suggested we talk about this on a new thread in the south oval section.

Now, I am a fifth generation educator. I was parented by teachers and grew up in the environment of teachers all my life. And one thing that is consistent about most of the teachers I have been around is that the history that is taught is not relevant to the very students you are teaching. That is why so many black youth drop out of school - they can not relate. We get tired of learning about the same "American History" every year. The only thing taught is about blacks being in slavery, and the civil right movement. That is about it. There is much more black history to acknowledge than that depressing s#it! They also need to teach about blacks that were Positive, strong, educated and broke barriers in America - For exp: George Washington Carver - every time I see a poster on him, they have a jar of peanut butter next to him. Most blacks think that he is famous because he invented Peanut Butter - That is insane. His true genius is still not being taught in most schools. My daughter goes to Carver Middle School as we speak and they were teaching her that same BS. I could go on and on but the fact is that we need to start learning about more positive role models then maybe black kids will want to be like Benjamin Banneker instead of Snoop Dog - or Manly P Hall instead of Lil Wayne, Martin R Delaney instead of Drake, Charles Drew instead of 50 cents, Mary McLeod Bethune instead of Lil Kim, Jane Edna Hunter instead of Foxy Brown, Madame C.J. Walker instead of Nicki Minaj.... on and on and on!
And if you can not find the time to teach kids the things that are relevant to them, then you need some better classroom management and/or spend some extra time doing so. I have never had the issue of "not enough time"
And here in Tulsa and the rest of Oklahoma - they make us teach so kids can pass a test! We teach to satisfy a benchmark - not for true knowledge that will help the kids grow. If you have not dealt with this issue yet - I question you even being a teacher. Another school here in Tulsa, Gilcrease Middle School, - they do not even teach spelling anymore because they don't test for spelling on the Iowa test - THAT IS CRAZY!

Shakadoodoo
2/5/2011, 11:38 AM
Oklahoma History is only taught in one year of the high school curriculum, and only one substandard of the standards refers to the teaching of race relations in the state. To devote the time you want devoted to Oklahoma Black History would make it nearly impossible to teach the content the state expects of its teachers.

Here are the standards: http://sde.state.ok.us/Curriculum/PASS/Subject/socstud.pdf

The only thing that I learned in Oklahoma History was about the Trail of Tears - Not one single thing about the blacks that were involved with Oklahoma's intricate, unique history. I did not even realize that most black people here in Oklahoma were Black Indians. You can look at some of the largest black families here in Tulsa.... Littlejohn, Overstreet, Greenwood, Childs, Mayberry, Phartenberry, Perryman, Goodwin ect, ect.... Those are all black Indian names. Oprah Winfrey is a black Indian - no mention of that. No Black Wallstreet mentioned, No all black settlements mentioned, ect, ect - We had plenty of time to learn that in the semester we took Oklahoma History. They just failed to do so.

Shakadoodoo
2/5/2011, 11:40 AM
oh....and bigotry goes ALL WAYS...I've seen more hate for light skin vs dark skin...or comments by kids about "white people"....it's funny cause I'm white but the kids don't see that when I ask them...

have a great day! GO Sooners!!!

True indeed! and Demystification is a major step into curing this ill!

Shakadoodoo
2/5/2011, 11:45 AM
as a public school educator in a majority minority district....I agree...

"majority minority"...hmmmm that struck me as funny...sorry...

As a public school educator in a majority minority district you certainly need to focus on teaching the kids things that are relevant to them and you will need more than your regular history book to do so! Unless your school district is highly successful and most kids are graduating and going on to college. If not.......

85sooners
2/5/2011, 12:35 PM
suh is a good football player

BetterSoonerThanLater
2/5/2011, 01:36 PM
enough of all this i'm an educator, you're black, i'm white, you don't know how to teach, I'm racist, you're a bigot stuff. no matter what white people do or say, they'll don't fully understand the black culture and history. no matter what they think, blacks can be just as racist and bigoted towards whites. the one thing that everyone forgets is that we live in the best country on the planet. if you think you'd have it better somewhere else, by all means....leave. Besides, regardless what anyone says...it all starts at home with the parents. they are the most important teachers out there. when it's all said it done, kids take cues from their parents. teach them what you want, but don't bitch about things you think they should learn in school, and the don't. , if you're not helping the situation.

I came to this thread to read about football. if someone said something stupid, they apologize or they don't. Don't let it ruin your day. but, take this **** to the south oval. ( not that the topics are ****....just a figure of speech, so no one give me **** for it! :) )

now back to Suh being an *******....$10 bucks says it wasn't even his car. but more importantly, how about a little respect for a kid that has to run around in frezzing temps and snow to go get your car, just so that you don't have to get cold--albeit it for very little pay. if i was the valet, i'd a told him to go get his own ****ing car next time. cheap bastard.

by the way, those of you living it up in SoCal--As I do--shut up and enjoy your 300 days of sunshine a year. whens the last time you had to walk to your car in the parking lot of south coast plaza in the snow...

have a happy day!
semper fi
and boomer sooner

next topic.. i hate depressing **** this early in the morning!!! dammit.

Serenity Now
2/5/2011, 02:53 PM
Let's get this thread back on point. Suh's a butt. My wife's a nagger. Nagger's are annoying. Especially when I'm watching Lights Out. :)

OUEngr1990
2/5/2011, 02:56 PM
Let's get this thread back on point. Suh's a butt. My wife's a nagger. Nagger's are annoying. Especially when I'm watching Lights Out. :)

you are not alone. I have found the perfect cure...

http://media.away.com/images/gear-review/traveling/bose-Headphones.jpg

Best 300 bucks I've ever spent...

Eielson
2/5/2011, 03:09 PM
you are not alone. I have found the perfect cure...

http://media.away.com/images/gear-review/traveling/bose-Headphones.jpg

Best 300 bucks I've ever spent...

If you were cool...

http://cache.gizmodo.com/assets/resources/2008/01/Beats-by-Dr-Dre.jpg

Leroy Lizard
2/5/2011, 04:47 PM
The only thing that I learned in Oklahoma History was about the Trail of Tears - Not one single thing about the blacks that were involved with Oklahoma's intricate, unique history. I did not even realize that most black people here in Oklahoma were Black Indians. You can look at some of the largest black families here in Tulsa.... Littlejohn, Overstreet, Greenwood, Childs, Mayberry, Phartenberry, Perryman, Goodwin ect, ect.... Those are all black Indian names. Oprah Winfrey is a black Indian - no mention of that. No Black Wallstreet mentioned, No all black settlements mentioned, ect, ect - We had plenty of time to learn that in the semester we took Oklahoma History. They just failed to do so.

At the public school level, it isn't about what YOU think is important to learn. The state content standards were developed based on input from numerous organizations, including higher ed. If you want the standards to reflect your values, then you should have weighed in at the time they were drafted.

As it stands, the standards are set and Board approved. They are revised continuously, usually about every four years. If I were you, I would contact the OSDE and ask them when the social studies are next scheduled for revision. Then you can bellyache to the standards authors about how your own special interests should outweigh those of everyone else's, because that's what ultimately happens.

Until then, you cannot fault Norman high school teachers with disregarding content that the standards don't emphasize.

BOOMERBRADLEY
2/5/2011, 04:56 PM
Can we get back to talking about how Suh is a piece of Sh*t?

Leroy Lizard
2/5/2011, 04:59 PM
Can we get back to talking about how Suh is a piece of Sh*t?

I thought that was settled.

Gandalf_The_Grey
2/5/2011, 05:01 PM
If they don't play for OU, I consider them scum regardless.

Since71ASooner4Life
2/5/2011, 05:14 PM
send him a letter and tell him you DO have the entire episode on your phone.

http://www.suh90.com/fanmail.html

tell him it's going on youtube and you're calling the local TV station if he doesn't get his rear end back to the hotel in a hurry and start kissing up

Soonerman82
2/5/2011, 05:16 PM

Ding ding ding We have a winner folks!!

Shakadoodoo
2/5/2011, 05:50 PM
At the public school level, it isn't about what YOU think is important to learn. The state content standards were developed based on input from numerous organizations, including higher ed. If you want the standards to reflect your values, then you should have weighed in at the time they were drafted.

As it stands, the standards are set and Board approved. They are revised continuously, usually about every four years. If I were you, I would contact the OSDE and ask them when the social studies are next scheduled for revision. Then you can bellyache to the standards authors about how your own special interests should outweigh those of everyone else's, because that's what ultimately happens.

Until then, you cannot fault Norman high school teachers with disregarding content that the standards don't emphasize.
Graduation Gaps and Inequities

All Students - 71%
Asian - 80%
White - 73%
Native American - 64%
Hispanic - 57%
African American - 55%

http://www.all4ed.org/files/Oklahoma_wc.pdf

Afro Americans are even doing worse than Hispanics and many of them can not speak English. There is something terribly wrong with this picture. And for your information we goto those OSDE board meetings all the time, in big numbers and every time we are ignored. They have their own agenda which has nothing to do with the improvement of education for Afro Americans or Hispanics. We have even been to the Oklahoma State Board of Education, written letters directly to State Superintendent Janet Barresi and Sandy Garrett as well as the Oklahoma State School Boards Association. Nothing is ever done - So what steps do you advise next? - Seems to me the only choice is to open our own schools, and that is what we have been moving towards here in Tulsa and many in OKC as well. We damn sure can not trust the state of Oklahoma to do it.

It is understood that the only people that will help our kids to the next level is us and many problems are self inflected - but that still does not make the lack of history being taught right.

Soonerjeepman
2/5/2011, 05:57 PM
As a public school educator in a majority minority district you certainly need to focus on teaching the kids things that are relevant to them and you will need more than your regular history book to do so! Unless your school district is highly successful and most kids are graduating and going on to college. If not.......

I teach computers...but use reg curriculum to teach the skills I need to...I teach AMERICAN history....not European/A, African/A, Asian/A, Hispanic/A....

parental APATHY is killing the urban schools...I don't attest to know what it's like to be black...asian, hispanic...but I do know the Hispanic and Asian parents are more involved than the AA parents..

oh..and Suh...is an *(&&)&...treat ALL people with respect regardless of job or money...

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
2/5/2011, 05:59 PM
If they don't play for OU, I consider them scum regardless.They are double-scum if they received a Sooner offer, and rejected it.

Shakadoodoo
2/5/2011, 06:04 PM
I teach computers...but use reg curriculum to teach the skills I need to...I teach AMERICAN history....not European/A, African/A, Asian/A, Hispanic/A....

parental APATHY is killing the urban schools...I don't atest to know what it's like to be black...asian, hispanic...but I do know the Hispanic and Asian parents are more involved than the AA parents..

No argument there - We can't get the damn parents to come to parent teacher conferences. But let their kid go home and say the teacher is racist and all hell breaks loose - That is a damn shame!

One thing that Texas does, which we have been trying to implement here is that a certain % of all sub groups must be passing to be accredited. I think that would help. But like I said - we have a lot of work to do in our own communities. No excuses - its up to us.

One more thing - why is it even necessary to have an Afro American History Class? Because they do not teach it in the regular history class. To make it so bad - it is an elective that one does not even have to take. If it happened in America I see no reason to have sub history classes - but I guess Afro American history is not important enough to put in the regular history curriculum.

Jason
2/5/2011, 06:42 PM
Seems to me the only choice is to open our own schools, and that is what we have been moving towards here in Tulsa and many in OKC as well. We damn sure can not trust the state of Oklahoma to do it.
So, you're trying to segregate the schools? Irony at it's best.

Shakadoodoo
2/5/2011, 06:45 PM
So, you're trying to segregate the schools? Irony at it's best.

Not at all - Just trying to educate our kids correctly - anyone can attend!

Jason
2/5/2011, 06:47 PM
Anyone can attend "our own schools." Sounds inviting.

Sooner_Tuf
2/5/2011, 07:14 PM

You have, in the past, come across as a butthead. I don't know what the answer to the problem is but I do applaud you for searching for one.

Schools are easy to blame but that is just one component of society. Of which all of society is to blame. There is no easy solution and only one obvious one.

Nothing will ever work as long as people segregate themselves into different groups with separate goals. Which is what people seem to want to do.

The problem isn't complicated but the solution seems unobtainable. Whoever, if ever, creates the environment it will take to solve this stupid situation will have made the greatest contribution to mankind that has ever been made.

Then and only then can we move on as a people.

gaylordfan1
2/5/2011, 07:18 PM
Wow, I entered this thread prepared to read about Suh..... I should have realized 9 pages sounds too much on this topic.

C&CDean
2/5/2011, 08:07 PM
This has been an amusing thread, all in all.

Having dealt with big-time athletes and sports personalities, I don't doubt the original story at all. Doesn't mean Suh is a complete POS, but the boy does need to learn some "dealing with the little people" skills I'm thinking. If Suh were white, and the valet was black, he'd be a racist sumbitch.

I've never seen South Park, but when I saw the "naggers" thing the last thing from my mind was "you racist, you racist." Some of y'all need to let it go. Lighten up, enjoy what life you have left, and get over your great, great, great granddaddy's past. I have, even though my relatives were persecuted by nazis and ****. Move on. Rise above it. Get over it.

oumartin
2/5/2011, 08:27 PM
This has been an amusing thread, all in all.

Having dealt with big-time athletes and sports personalities, I don't doubt the original story at all. Doesn't mean Suh is a complete POS, but the boy does need to learn some "dealing with the little people" skills I'm thinking. If Suh were white, and the valet was black, he'd be a racist sumbitch.

I've never seen South Park, but when I saw the "naggers" thing the last thing from my mind was "you racist, you racist." Some of y'all need to let it go. Lighten up, enjoy what life you have left, and get over your great, great, great granddaddy's past. I have, even though my relatives were persecuted by nazis and ****. Move on. Rise above it. Get over it.

You insensitive b@stard! ;)

stoopified
2/5/2011, 08:28 PM
I don't agree. My brother has been in the PGA world for about 10 years and has met a multitude of PGA golfers, celebrities, and other athletes over the years at tournaments, pro-ams, etc. According to him, it is about 50/50. Some real jerks - Mike Schmidt, Phil Mickelson, Dan Marino (ouch), and Jerry Rice. Some nice guys - Michael Bolton, Mario Lemieux, Tiger (inside the clubhouse).Those are golfers,not professional ATHLETES. :)

Leroy Lizard
2/5/2011, 08:42 PM
Graduation Gaps and Inequities

All Students - 71%
Asian - 80%
White - 73%
Native American - 64%
Hispanic - 57%
African American - 55%

http://www.all4ed.org/files/Oklahoma_wc.pdf

Afro Americans are even doing worse than Hispanics and many of them can not speak English.

You think that's relegated to Oklahoma?

You think that learning about Black Wall Street is going to change that?

The Asians in OK have even less attention devoted to their cultural issues, and they score higher than Whites.

You're barking up the wrong tree.

There is something terribly wrong with this picture. And for your information we goto those OSDE board meetings all the time, in big numbers and every time we are ignored.

If you're waiting for the issue to go to the Board then you're too late.

They have their own agenda which has nothing to do with the improvement of education for Afro Americans or Hispanics. We have even been to the Oklahoma State Board of Education, written letters directly to State Superintendent Janet Barresi and Sandy Garrett as well as the Oklahoma State School Boards Association. Nothing is ever done - So what steps do you advise next? - Seems to me the only choice is to open our own schools, and that is what we have been moving towards here in Tulsa and many in OKC as well. We damn sure can not trust the state of Oklahoma to do it.

And these schools are going to outperform the other schools? If so, why? What are you going to do differently that is going to make these kids perform as well as their counterparts?

My gut feeling: You don't have a clue. You seriously think that if the state kowtows to the whims of your culture that your students will start to perform better?

Look at the Native American students' performance. All things Native America is all over the Oklahoma standards -- Hell, it seems as if half the standards are written right toward them. But they don't perform all that well.

In AZ, Hispanic issues dominate the focus of many schools -- the same ones where Hispanics underperform.

The blueprint for student success is all about rigor and good teaching methods, not Black History Month posters. It isn't WHAT you teach; it's how you teach it. And making damn sure that the teaching adheres to those principles on a constant basis.

BTW, you don't simply write a letter to the state superintendent. She gets a lot of letters. Thousands. You need an audience with her, and the only way to do that is to make your organization credible and relevant. Bellyaching that some obscure Logan County Treasurer isn't getting his due in the classroom isn't going to do it.

Leroy Lizard
2/5/2011, 08:46 PM
Wow, I entered this thread prepared to read about Suh..... I should have realized 9 pages sounds too much on this topic.

Especially since Suh didn't play for us.

Some dude who played for another team got a little pissy with a valet, and we're supposed to care?

Now education... that really matters.

ictsooner7
2/5/2011, 11:20 PM
Yes, I know. Funny thing was his girlfriend, Nicolette Sheridian, was also really cool from what I hear. My brother pulled rank and drove her around the course all day in a cart.

Now he has a good job.

boomermagic
2/5/2011, 11:57 PM
You insensitive b@stard! ;)

:D :D :D :D :D

btb916
2/6/2011, 12:14 AM
Well, I don't know Suh. Never had any interactions with him. I know he is a big guy and now he has a lot of money and has had a lot of success at the highest level. That doesn't automatically make him a bad guy, not even close.

But I know he has had one hit that got him a fine which was pretty nasty (have there been more than one?) and now this story comes up. But this story is just from some guy on the internet; I have no idea if the story is embellished in any way or not. So for now, I'll reserve judgment.

Since I am so partial to Bradford, though, I'll be on the lookout for any stories that can sully my impression of Suh's talent/work ethic.

SoonerBacker
2/6/2011, 12:15 AM
Never Mind......

Gandalf_The_Grey
2/6/2011, 03:07 AM
If they go to Texas...They are Scum times infinity!!

Blue
2/6/2011, 03:10 AM
Story about Jerry Rice...

My dad went up to him at a restaraunt and gave him my brothers resume.So his dinner was interrupted and some guy was talking to him about his son(Dad was just being a good dad, but also barged in on the guys meal) and him wanting to be an agent. Anyway, Mr. Rice couldn't have been nicer. He even took the time to call me just to humor my dad. I talked to him on the phone for about 5 minutes and he was cool.

Im not saying the guy who said Rice was a jerk didn't have a bad experience, but to me this story shows he's a great guy.

Xunil
2/6/2011, 08:56 AM
When education becomes as important to Black parents as it is to Asian parents, that's when the graduation rates will climb. It has nothing to do with cirriculum or teaching methods or segregated schools.

texaspokieokie
2/6/2011, 09:07 AM
Story about Jerry Rice...

My dad went up to him at a restaraunt and gave him my brothers resume.So his dinner was interrupted and some guy was talking to him about his son(Dad was just being a good dad, but also barged in on the guys meal) and him wanting to be an agent. Anyway, Mr. Rice couldn't have been nicer. He even took the time to call me just to humor my dad. I talked to him on the phone for about 5 minutes and he was cool.

Im not saying the guy who said Rice was a jerk didn't have a bad experience, but to me this story shows he's a great guy.

your Dad was really rude.

BOOMERBRADLEY
2/6/2011, 09:13 AM
Especially since Suh didn't play for us.

Some dude who played for another team got a little pissy with a valet, and we're supposed to care?

Now education... that really matters.

We were at our place of work. I think you would care if someone threatened to kick your *** while you were at work. The guy is a gigantic ****** and I will never root for him again, or have anything positive to say about him. He got snow in his car in an f'ng snow storm! And threatened to beat someone up over it. As I mentioned earlier, some of you Suh apologist need to seriously take trip back to reality with the rest of the fk'n world

adoniijahsooner
2/6/2011, 09:13 AM
When education becomes as important to Black parents as it is to Asian parents, that's when the graduation rates will climb. It has nothing to do with cirriculum or teaching methods or segregated schools.

This post shows someone lacks education!

SoonerBacker
2/6/2011, 09:46 AM
This post shows someone lacks education!

If you're talking about the spelling of curriculum, it's probably just a typo. After all, the u and the i are right next to each other on the keyboard. I think we've all done that from time to time. :pop:

texaspokieokie
2/6/2011, 10:00 AM

looks wise to me.

adoniijahsooner
2/6/2011, 10:11 AM
I'm talking about knowing what's important to black parents. I'm a black parent, and my children have made superb grades since they first entered into school. Plus, I have many black parents as friends whose children also do well in school. I have many many black friends who have graduated from Universities. I just find it amusing is all.

adoniijahsooner
2/6/2011, 10:12 AM
If you're talking about the spelling of curriculum, it's probably just a typo. After all, the u and the i are right next to each other on the keyboard. I think we've all done that from time to time. :pop:

sorry...didn't notice that...don't care.

texaspokieokie
2/6/2011, 10:16 AM
I'm talking about knowing what's important to black parents. I'm a black parent, and my children have made superb grades since they first entered into school. Plus, I have many black parents as friends whose children also do well in school. I have many many black friends who have graduated from Universities. I just find it amusing is all.

looks to me like this post agrees with
Xunil.

Al Gore
2/6/2011, 10:18 AM
The "off-season" sucks....

adoniijahsooner
2/6/2011, 10:21 AM
looks to me like this post agrees with
Xunil.

I see what you did there;) . Okay, Suh is a piece of crap!

Midtowner
2/6/2011, 11:31 AM
valet's

How many valets were there?

Or did you leave out a word? Did they gripe out your valet's uncle? Dog? Apostrophe s does not make a plural.

oubose
2/6/2011, 11:49 AM
I didn't hear anything about him acting like that when he played in Lincoln, but he didn't get paid there either. *uck'n husker

BOOMERBRADLEY
2/6/2011, 01:46 PM
How many valets were there?

Or did you leave out a word? Did they gripe out your valet's uncle? Dog? Apostrophe s does not make a plural.
http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/8373/geekx.jpg (http://img34.imageshack.us/i/geekx.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

olevetonahill
2/6/2011, 02:19 PM
I met him today at the hotel where I work. I then watched him gripe out my valet's for getting snow on his floormats while snow was coming in sideways in Dallas. I overheard the entire conversation...and I quote

Valet - "Mr Suh. I apologize, but I knocked as much off my feet as I could before I got in"

Since Bradley says he heard this exchange , those of you sayin it dint happen are callin him a liar.

BOOMERBRADLEY
2/6/2011, 02:47 PM
Since Bradley says he heard this exchange , those of you sayin it dint happen are callin him a liar.

Thems fightin' words

I think midtowns head might explode after that one

olevetonahill
2/6/2011, 02:52 PM
Thems fightin' words

I think midtowns head might explode after that one

midtown is a summers eve;)

TheHumanAlphabet
2/6/2011, 02:54 PM
Amazing! 7 pages about Suh being a jerk and self important...

olevetonahill
2/6/2011, 02:57 PM
Amazing! 7 pages about Suh being a jerk and self important...

Naw, It went Viral with a lot of racist education crap in between :eek:

caseysooner
2/6/2011, 02:58 PM
To get back on topic. Maybe he had a bad stay/ morning at the hotel and the snow in his car (probably not a ford escort) was the capstone to an already bad stay. Not to mention it was bawls cold outside.

Leroy Lizard
2/6/2011, 03:26 PM

So be it.

(I'm not one of those saying it didn't happen; I just can't stand this "Take what I say or call me a liar" bull****. I don't have to believe anyone on this board.)

olevetonahill
2/6/2011, 03:50 PM
So be it.

(I'm not one of those saying it didn't happen; I just can't stand this "Take what I say or call me a liar" bull****. I don't have to believe anyone on this board.)

Fer example Id believe Brad over any thing you said ;)

Leroy Lizard
2/6/2011, 03:59 PM
Fer example Id believe Brad over any thing you said ;)

That's because you're gullible. But we knew that.

Sooner_Bob
2/6/2011, 04:12 PM

Say what?

You bash the State of Oklahoma for how it runs the schools and your solution is to open your own and teach your way so the kids can get educated correctly?

You planning to go year-round so you'll have time to teach everything?

Leroy Lizard
2/6/2011, 04:16 PM
Say what?

You bash the State of Oklahoma for how it runs the schools and your solution is to open your own and teach your way so the kids can get educated correctly?

You planning to go year-round so you'll have time to teach everything?

No, the plan is to make sure that all kids know all about Black History. He never said anything about kids knowing about such small details like the Land Run, and the Trail of Tears, and... trigonometry.

Sooner_Bob
2/6/2011, 04:17 PM

Good for you . . . I wish all parents felt like you.

My wife has to deal with those who don't . . . it makes her job that much harder.

olevetonahill
2/6/2011, 04:24 PM
That's because you're gullible. But we knew that.

No, limptard gullible would mean I believed yer tripe:rolleyes:

Leroy Lizard
2/6/2011, 04:30 PM
No, limptard gullible would mean I believed yer tripe:rolleyes:

Does not! Does not!

Tigeman
2/6/2011, 04:32 PM
So let me get this straight.... Learning about black wallstreet, and other obscure historical events is going to magically make these kids perform better in algebra or English?

Sounds like you got it all figured out! Maybe we should let shakadoodoo re-write how all kids throughout the nation are taught.

This is about as bad as the coon dog thread

Sooner_Bob
2/6/2011, 04:36 PM

Besides . . . what the heck are floor mats for anyway? They're supposed to get dirty.:rolleyes:

Scott D
2/6/2011, 04:37 PM
Besides . . . what the heck are floor mats for anyway? They're supposed to get dirty.:rolleyes:

look, muh****in' valets need to know their role and not let that kind of stuff happen.

yankee
2/6/2011, 04:40 PM
I have to take a dump.

Scott D
2/6/2011, 04:42 PM
Truthfully, valets should be kissing the asses of anyone who uses them..talk about useless jobs...they're a step above jizz mopper ;)

Sooner_Bob
2/6/2011, 04:46 PM
look, muh****in' valets need to know their role and not let that kind of stuff happen.

Snow will melt . . . it'd be different if he ran over his foot or scratched it. :P

Sooner_Bob
2/6/2011, 04:47 PM
Truthfully, valets should be kissing the asses of anyone who uses them..talk about useless jobs...they're a step above jizz mopper ;)

True. I guess if you want to park a few blocks away go for it . . . :D

Scott D
2/6/2011, 04:51 PM
True. I guess if you want to park a few blocks away go for it . . . :D

That's what women are for...."Bitch, go get the damn car and shut up."

Sooner_Tuf
2/6/2011, 05:09 PM

You do that and the you will need the valet to get you a taxi.

Sooner_Bob
2/6/2011, 06:53 PM

:D

olevetonahill
2/6/2011, 06:56 PM
That's what women are for...."Bitch, go get the damn car and make me a sammich then shut up."

FIFY:D

Blue
2/6/2011, 08:26 PM
your Dad was really rude.

Yeah I think I pointed that out that inspite of it he was very gracious.

Also the situation could have been casual and my dad might have approached him nicely. I don't know. I wasn't there.

But thanks for focusing on the wrong part of the story though.

StoopTroup
2/6/2011, 08:40 PM

I completely disagree.

Sooner_Tuf
2/6/2011, 09:13 PM

Also the situation could have been casual and my dad might have approached him nicely. I don't know. I wasn't there.

ouduckhunter
2/7/2011, 01:04 AM

You do that and the you will need the valet to get you a taxi.

That and a new foot.

texaspokieokie
2/7/2011, 09:16 AM

you're very welcome !!!

jkjsooner
2/7/2011, 09:29 AM

You guys are taking things like Black History Month way too seriously. It's not an attempt to be exclusionary. It's an attempt to bring to light some forgotten parts of history. Maybe modern textbooks have included contributions from African Americans but that sure wasn't the case 20 years ago. We can thank things like Black History Month for that.

I used to be on the side of asking why they're allowed to have a black student union at OU. At some point I realized that every time I walked down the sidewalk at OU I was surrounded by a majority of white people. (Well, I was an engineer so maybe the classroom wasn't majority white.) I don't go around feeling like an outsider every day. Having a black student union (or similar entities for various minority groups and foreign groups) gives the African American student one place where she can feel at home.

I'm not saying all African Americans feel like they don't belong at OU. I'm just saying to some extent some want a place to go where they're around people who are more like themselves. We don't need that.

The same with Black History Month. We have white history month every month of the year. When too many African Americans look up to sports stars as role models (which isn't bad but it is not a realistic goal for most) it's a good thing that we take some time for them (and us as well) to learn about the significant achievements of African Americans. It's not about us and it's not a slap in our faces. Simply put, you guys are being too darn sensitive.

SoonerBacker, after re-reading this 90% of this isn't addressed to you specifically. I had a couple of sentences addressing what you said. Please don't think I'm putting words in your mouth because most of this was to address various posts not just your's which I quoted.

OULenexaman
2/7/2011, 10:40 AM
I would have said, "Sir....please don't nag at me......no one likes naggers."

OULenexaman
2/7/2011, 10:42 AM
Assault would have paid nicely. And then I would be getting paid..

stoops the eternal pimp
2/7/2011, 10:45 AM
So what did Suh do?

sooneron
2/7/2011, 11:02 AM
Up here, the valets have those paper mats like auto shops have for nasty weather, but I'm willing to bet that Dallas doesn't really think about large snow dumps. It's stupid to treat someone the way that Suh supposedly did. It was probably a loaner or a rental. DOUBT he was even paying for it. It's an even dooshier move if it was snowing at the time. Sounds like the bugeater needs to grow up and get (yeah, I know, tough to do) some class.

OUNC06
2/7/2011, 11:04 AM
So let me get this straight.... Learning about black wallstreet, and other obscure historical events is going to magically make these kids perform better in algebra or English?

Sounds like you got it all figured out! Maybe we should let shakadoodoo re-write how all kids throughout the nation are taught.

This is about as bad as the coon dog thread

http://img.chan4chan.com/img/2009-07-11/tn_1247291274782.jpg

Bourbon St Sooner
2/7/2011, 11:26 AM
So what did Suh do?

Suh thinks he should have learned about black wall street in school so he bitched out a valet while it was showing in his car.

Standard stuff really.

Leroy Lizard
2/7/2011, 11:27 AM
Having a black student union (or similar entities for various minority groups and foreign groups) gives the African American student one place where she can feel at home.

You're not exactly doing your "One World, One Love" ideology any favors here.

The same with Black History Month. We have white history month every month of the year.

That's a line that everyone states but simply isn't true. We have History Month, and we discuss those that have had an important role in history. And by that, I don't mean creating a bunch of myths to propel the achievements of one race.

A patent that is one in a hundred that helps develop the modern refrigerator is NOT an important point in history, and it does a disservice to hand the inventor the entire creation of the refrigerator just because he's Black.

Once I called out a history teacher who was creating a lesson plan on the invention of the gas mask. She was making the claim that a Black inventor in the U.S. saved thousands of lives in WWI. I proved to her that her claim was total bull-****, but she taught it anyway. The truth no longer matters.

BTW, where's Native American History Month? Where's Hispanic History Month? Where's Asian History Month?

KantoSooner
2/7/2011, 11:43 AM
I guess it doesn't bother me too much to have a Black History Month; I'd just like to see it done better. Most high school aged kids I've talked to of late seem capable of absorbing a lot more than the pap they are fed. The influence of Africa and Africans on US history is very strong and contributes to making us who we are today. Especially if you are a person from the Southern part of the country.

SouthFortySooner
2/7/2011, 12:47 PM
The reason there is more white history is because there has been more of it made.

soonerboy_odanorth
2/7/2011, 01:54 PM
*Sigh* For Bart's sake, do I have to do everything around here? Twelve bleepin' pages and not a danged one of you....

Olson Johnson: All right... we'll give some land to the ******s and the chinks. But we don't want the Irish!
[everyone complains]
Olson Johnson: Aw, prairie ****... Everybody!
[everyone rejoices]

Taggart: [on learning Bart is the new sheriff of Rock Ridge] Now if that don't beat all. Here we take the good time and trouble to slaughter every last Indian in the West, and for what? So we can appoint a sheriff that's blacker than any Indian. I am depressed.
Lyle: Excuse me, Mr. Taggart, sir, but I sure do hate to see you like this. What if me and the boys was to shoot that ****** dead? Would that pep you up some?
Taggart: That might help.

Bart: Sir, he specifically requested two "******s". Well, to tell the family secret, my grandmother was Dutch.

Taggart: I got it! I know how we can run everyone out of Rock Ridge.
Hedley Lamarr: How?
Taggart: We'll kill the first born male child in every household.
Hedley Lamarr: [after some consideration] Too Jewish.

[to two members of the KKK, while pretending to capture Bart]
Jim: Oh, boys! Lookee what I got heyuh.
Bart: Hey, where the white women at?

Hedley Lamarr: Sign here.

Jim: [quickly] Why, Rhett! How many times have I told you to wash up after weekly cross burning?
[licks his fingers, then rubs Bart's hand]

Howard Johnson: [reading] As honorary chairman of the welcoming committee, it's my privilege to present a laurel and hearty handshake to our new...
[looks up and sees Bart]
Howard Johnson: ...******.

Bart: Mornin', ma'am. And isn't it a lovely mornin'?
Elderly Woman: Up yours, ******.

Taggart: The surveyors say they may have run into some quicksand up ahead. Better check it out.
Lyle: Okay, I'll send down a team of horses to check out the ground.
Taggart: *Horses*?
[hits Lyle's head]
Taggart: We can't afford to lose any horses, you dummy! Send over a couple of ******s.

Taggart: I hired you people to try to get a little track laid, not to jump around like a bunch of Kansas City faggots.

Hedley Lamarr: My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Taggart: God darnit, Mr. Lamarr, you use your tongue prettier than a twenty dollar whore.

Bart, disguised as a Klansman, describes his qualifications as a villain]
Bart: Stampeding cattle.
Hedley Lamarr: That's not much of a crime.
Bart: Through the Vatican?
Hedley Lamarr: [smiling] Kinkyyyy. Sign here.

Taggart: I got it! I got it!
Hedley Lamarr: You do?
Taggart: We'll work up a Number 6 on 'em.
Hedley Lamarr: [frowns] "Number 6"? I'm afraid I'm not familiar with that one.
Taggart: Well, that's where we go a-ridin' into town, a-whompin' and a-whumpin' every livin' thing that moves within an inch of its life. Except the women folks, of course.
Hedley Lamarr: You spare the women?
Taggart: Naw, we rape the **** out of them at the Number Six Dance later on.
Hedley Lamarr: Marvelous!

Jim: [consoling Bart] What did you expect? "Welcome, sonny"? "Make yourself at home"? "Marry my daughter"? You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons.

[B]Let’s see… that’s blacks, Jews, Chinese, Catholics, native Americans, gays, women, rednecks…. even the Irish.

Everyone good and offended now?

Good.

Now please return to whatever it was you were doing before this thread happened.

Everyone may shake my hand and thank me later....*

*Bart: I'm rapidly becoming a big underground success in this town.
Jim: See? In another twenty-five years, you'll be able to shake their hands in broad daylight.

sooner518
2/7/2011, 02:03 PM
they're a step above jizz mopper ;)

i didnt even know that was a job. I am now puzzled and horrified.

;)

StoopTroup
2/7/2011, 02:54 PM
Rules of life. If you own a nice car - don't let someone you don't know or employ drive or park your car. Expecting a Valet to treat your vehicle like you would shows just what a lazy dumbass you are anyway.

If there is 6 inches of snow outside and you don't want snow in your car give the valet instructions prior to asking him to take or go get your car.

Also...if you are a Valet and work for tips...be prepared for *******s. I have always understood why there is a need for Valet Parking but I've never trusted it. I sometimes have things in my car I don't wish to lose...so I don't use valets. If you are a Valet keep a clean mat wth you for when a nice car or bad weather comes around. Be professional. Don't be afraid to stick your hand out for a tip and don't get stupid when you don't get one either. The World is full of ***-holes and dip****s who think the are better than other people.

Remember to raise your own kids properly and teach them to be nice guys like Jesus was. Also recognize that being called Indian Jesus isn't a slur. Recognize that when someone does something for you for free you shouldn't bitch abo ut how it as done. Just be glad you got it back at all. If you have bad experiences with valets don't be so lazy next time. Go park it yourself.

tcrb
2/7/2011, 03:01 PM
If you have bad experiences with valets don't be so lazy next time. Go park it yourself.

I think we finally have a winner.

Leroy Lizard
2/7/2011, 03:09 PM
If you have bad experiences with valets don't be so lazy next time. Go park it yourself.

Spot on! I never use valets unless I have no choice.

jkjsooner
2/7/2011, 03:17 PM
You're not exactly doing your "One World, One Love" ideology any favors here.

I'm sorry. I missed the note bout how I had a "one world, one love" ideology. What would I do without you letting me know how I believe.

That's a line that everyone states but simply isn't true. We have History Month, and we discuss those that have had an important role in history. And by that, I don't mean creating a bunch of myths to propel the achievements of one race.

A patent that is one in a hundred that helps develop the modern refrigerator is NOT an important point in history, and it does a disservice to hand the inventor the entire creation of the refrigerator just because he's Black.

I agree that some of the history is dubious. I'm not arguing that. The fact is that legitimate black history was at one point not taught so there was a precedent for a need to push some of the achievements by African Americans.

It is in all of our best interest for little black kids to have role models to look to. If we have to mention some otherwise less significant chapters in our history to do so, then, well, it really doesn't harm us and it can be a great motivator for someone who has been lead to believe that his only possible contribution to society is the ability to play a sport.

Like I said, at one time I took this way too seriously and I held your views then I realized that little things like this can help motivate someone to achieve great things and benefit society.

BTW, where's Native American History Month? Where's Hispanic History Month? Where's Asian History Month?

There are similar things for all of these groups. It might not be "history month" but they are represented. There has been a huge push lately to recognize the contribution that the Chinese made in our development throughout the 19th century. That's great and we all need to know about it.

jkjsooner
2/7/2011, 03:22 PM

Yes, exactly. They are going to hear about a black man on Wall Street and immediately walk into the classroom and score 30% higher on a math test. WTF?

No, the idea is that black leaders have recognized that their children need more role models. We can hide our heads in the sand and pretend that it makes no difference if those role models are black or white but reality says otherwise. Slowly this will lead to better academic performance. It might take generations to make large strides but for a handful of kids it might just change their attitude and confidence and change their lives within a short period of time.

Tigeman
2/7/2011, 04:21 PM
No, the idea is that black leaders have recognized that their children need more role models. We can hide our heads in the sand and pretend that it makes no difference if those role models are black or white but reality says otherwise. Slowly this will lead to better academic performance. It might take generations to make large strides but for a handful of kids it might just change their attitude and confidence and change their lives within a short period of time.

People are so full of $hit if they believe this. At some point there has to be some level of responsibility between the parents and the kids themselves.

I'm Spanish, was born in Spain, and what did I get taught about my race?.... Lets see we were plundering thieving rapists (Coronado and his band of merry men), we were bumbling fools that couldn't read a map and got lucky to have survived a trip with a bunch of rapists and thieves aboard (Columbus). After doing such we almost demolished an entire civilization, started a slave trade with them, and forced our religion onto them. Oh and lest we forget....much like pinky and the brain we tried to take over the world (Spanish Armada).

All of which were briefly touched. Instead we spent months focusing on the slave trade, the underground railroad, rosa parks, malcolm x, the black panthers yada yada yada.

Point is, I could care less who we spent the time on, as like the overwhelming majority of kids I was on cruise control through what I considered BS at the time.

I cruised through w/ A's without a Spanish role model, and graduated with 2 degrees from OU summa cum laude.

So don't feed me this crap about needing a black historical role model. Concentrate on the freaking kids and the parents first!!!!

If you can't get yourself motivated to succeed then perhaps you need to take an alternative path of education... like Vo-Tech.

Tigeman
2/7/2011, 04:52 PM
If you have to come up with an excuse for why your not succeeding (other than a legitimate learning disability) there's your reason why you're not right there. Perhaps these kids just don't give a $hit!!! (which is inherently an effect of their environment they grew up in)

Leroy Lizard
2/7/2011, 05:08 PM
I agree that some of the history is dubious. I'm not arguing that. The fact is that legitimate black history was at one point not taught so there was a precedent for a need to push some of the achievements by African Americans.

It is in all of our best interest for little black kids to have role models to look to. If we have to mention some otherwise less significant chapters in our history to do so, then, well, it really doesn't harm us and it can be a great motivator for someone who has been lead to believe that his only possible contribution to society is the ability to play a sport.

This is all a fancy euphemism for "If we need to lie about what happened, so be it."

A Black man did not invent the refrigerator. To say otherwise is just a lie. If they want to teach kids that a Black man helped in the development of the refrigerator by patenting a system that furthered its progress, fine. But don't bull**** the kids by inventing fairy tales. After all, why not just tell them that a Black woman invented the automobile? If we're going to uncork falsehood to achieve a goal, why not just go all out?

I have no problem with telling people about the contributions of various ethnicities as long as we don't exaggerate them. Put them in their proper context. But that's not what is happening.

Leroy Lizard
2/7/2011, 05:15 PM
People are so full of $hit if they believe this. At some point there has to be some level of responsibility between the parents and the kids themselves.

I'm Spanish, was born in Spain, and what did I get taught about my race?.... Lets see we were plundering thieving rapists (Coronado and his band of merry men), we were bumbling fools that couldn't read a map and got lucky to have survived a trip with a bunch of rapists and thieves aboard (Columbus). After doing such we almost demolished an entire civilization, started a slave trade with them, and forced our religion onto them. Oh and lest we forget....much like pinky and the brain we tried to take over the world (Spanish Armada).

All of which were briefly touched. Instead we spent months focusing on the slave trade, the underground railroad, rosa parks, malcolm x, the black panthers yada yada yada.

Point is, I could care less who we spent the time on, as like the overwhelming majority of kids I was on cruise control through what I considered BS at the time.

I cruised through w/ A's without a Spanish role model, and graduated with 2 degrees from OU summa cum laude.

So don't feed me this crap about needing a black historical role model. Concentrate on the freaking kids and the parents first!!!!

If you can't get yourself motivated to succeed then perhaps you need to take an alternative path of education... like Vo-Tech.

Native Americans have been as mistreated in this country as anyone, yet I don't hear any phony tales of inventions propped up to give them role models. I haven't seen many Native American History Months dedicated to them (at least not around here). Of course, white guilt hasn't quite stricken our population when it comes to Native Americans as it has Blacks.

Tigeman
2/7/2011, 05:48 PM
I have no problem with telling people about the contributions of various ethnicities as long as we don't exaggerate them. Put them in their proper context. But that's not what is happening.

You know with all this equality for all language, why should we even distinguish who's black, white, pink, purple, blue etc? Isn't that against the everything they preach about not seeing color?

OhU1
2/7/2011, 05:56 PM
This is all a fancy euphemism for "If we need to lie about what happened, so be it."

Exactly what I was thinking as I read the post.

Lying about history, historical figures, science, religion, and many other things is justified because the lie is well intended and for "the greater good." Bull S***.

These willful exaggerations of fact are akin to those fake Chicken Soup for the Soul "feel good stories". What could be more patronizing to a group than to manipulate information to fabricate fake achievements. This is the Special Olympics of history: See the Mongoloid child run and get a Gold Medal!

jkjsooner
2/7/2011, 06:03 PM

Where did I ever say I disagree with this. You and Leroy sure have ways to put words in other's mouths.

I happen to agree 100% with this statement. Too many people in certain groups (and it's both socioeconomi as well as race) do not take education seriously. This goes for the parents, kids, friends, etc.

Showing kids role models isn't going to change everything but it is a start. That's all I'm saying.

I'm not going to comment on your Spanish paragraphs except to say you seem to be stretching pretty far there.

jkjsooner
2/7/2011, 06:09 PM

A Black man did not invent the refrigerator. To say otherwise is just a lie.

I never said otherwise and I don't defend everything that is taught by the African American Studies programs around the country. Again you seem to be putting words in my mouth. Why do you for once limit your debate to what I actually said.

I'm talking about taking a little time to honestly emphasize some contributions that African Americans have made that were not in the cotton fields or on the court.

adoniijahsooner
2/7/2011, 07:24 PM
There is nothing wrong with having black history month. You do not have to learn anything about our culture and roots; in fact you can close your eyes to whatever you wish to close your eyes to. I choose to learn about all history no matter who it comes from or represents.

Plus, I am certain there are falsehoods in our history lessons, just as there are many falsehoods in all history lessons. So where are we to gather knowledge about the black race? Should we just sit in class and listen to a history teacher talk about slavery and assume that is the origin of Negro race? Or should we at the very least empower ourselves, and attain as much knowledge (on our own) as we can? Of course this is coming from a 34 year old black man who happens to enjoy Johnny Cash just as much as Kanye West. And who's favorite writer is an English preacher from the 1800's...so I guess you can take my opinion for what is worth. There is nothing wrong with being proud of who God made you to be as long as it's not rooted in hatred or bigotry.

Tigeman
2/7/2011, 07:37 PM
Where did I ever say I disagree with this. You and Leroy sure have ways to put words in other's mouths.

I happen to agree 100% with this statement. Too many people in certain groups (and it's both socioeconomi as well as race) do not take education seriously. This goes for the parents, kids, friends, etc.

Showing kids role models isn't going to change everything but it is a start. That's all I'm saying.

I'm not going to comment on your Spanish paragraphs except to say you seem to be stretching pretty far there.

Read my statement you quoted... I didn't say you disagreed with it. I said if people believe it they are fooling themselves. I realized you were stating their side of the argument. As for the my point about the Spanish stuff, I think you missed the point I was making about most kids not giving 2 $hits about what they're taught. In HS all I cared about was when the bell was gonna ring, who I was gonna bang after wrestling/soccer practice and where the party was Fri. Night.

2121Sooner
2/7/2011, 07:44 PM
There is nothing wrong with having black history month. You do not have to learn anything about our culture and roots; in fact you can close your eyes to whatever you wish to close your eyes to. I choose to learn about all history no matter who it comes from or represents.

I am just glad it is the shortest month of the year.

Soonerjeepman
2/7/2011, 07:55 PM
well...I've contributed to the debate...

but since this started about pampered athletes being D@@ks...

my cousin just told me Larry Fitzgerald was shooting a commercial at some place he had reserved for his son's bday party. Since they were shooting it got pushed back..guess they showed...and had to wait.

Larry then stayed for the party and played catch with his son and "tackled" his younger kid...3 yr old...said he was very cool...didn't have to do it but felt bad since they had pushed the party out..

yes he lives in Dallas...Fitz was there for the SB...

Leroy Lizard
2/7/2011, 08:01 PM
Larry then stayed for the party and played catch with his son and "tackled" his younger kid...3 yr old...

Did he lead with his helmet?

adoniijahsooner
2/7/2011, 08:26 PM
I am just glad it is the shortest month of the year.

I'm sure you are.

SanDiegoSoonerGal
2/7/2011, 09:14 PM
Yes, exactly. They are going to hear about a black man on Wall Street and immediately walk into the classroom and score 30% higher on a math test. WTF?

By this logic, there must be Asian role models that are taught about in schools and who inspire the Asian kids to high academic performance. Who are those role models?

BOOMERBRADLEY
2/7/2011, 09:15 PM
well...I've contributed to the debate...

but since this started about pampered athletes being D@@ks...

my cousin just told me Larry Fitzgerald was shooting a commercial at some place he had reserved for his son's bday party. Since they were shooting it got pushed back..guess they showed...and had to wait.

Larry then stayed for the party and played catch with his son and "tackled" his younger kid...3 yr old...said he was very cool...didn't have to do it but felt bad since they had pushed the party out..

yes he lives in Dallas...Fitz was there for the SB...

Larry Fitzgerald is a legit nice person. I would love to meet him someday