PDA

View Full Version : Lessons in Manliness from Atticus Finch

3rdgensooner
2/4/2011, 04:47 PM
Lessons in Manliness from Atticus Finch (http://artofmanliness.com/2011/02/02/lessons-in-manliness-from-atticus-finch/)

http://content.artofmanliness.com/uploads//2011/02/atticus.jpg

When it comes to manly characters in literature, my thoughts always return to one man:

Atticus Finch.

Perhaps this character from To Kill a Mockingbird seems like an unusual choice. A gentleman in a three piece suit. A widower of two kids, Jem and Scout. A man who was quiet instead of brash. Polite instead of macho. A lawyer who used his mind instead of his fists, who walked away from insults. Who didn’t gamble or smoke, who liked to walk instead drive. A man who liked nothing better than to bury himself in a book. Yes, Atticus may not seem very “manly,” at least when measured by the modern rubric for manliness.

But it is the subtly of his manliness, the way he carried himself, taught his children, made his choices, that makes his manliness all the more real, all the more potent. His manhood was not displayed in great showy acts but in quiet, consistent strength, in supreme self-possession. The manliness of Atticus Finch does not leap off the page; instead, it burrows its way inside of you, sticks with you, causes your soul to say, “Now that is the kind of man I wish to be.”

The examples of honorable manhood that can be wrung from To Kill a Mockingbird are plentiful and powerful, and today we’d like to explore just a few.

Lessons in Manliness from Atticus Finch

A man does the job no one else wants to do.

To Kill a Mockingbird unfolds against the backdrop of Atticus’s representation of Tom Robinson. Robinson, a black man, has been accused by Mayella Ewell, a white woman, of rape. While Atticus is assigned to be Robinson’s public defender by a judge, he earns the townspeople’s ire in his determination to actually defend him, honorably and fairly, to the best of his abilities.

He does the job that must be done, but that other people are unwilling and afraid to do.
Indoors, when Miss Maudie wanted to say something lengthy she spread her fingers on her knees and settled her bridgework. This she did, and we waited.
“I simply want to tell you that there are some men in this world who were born to do our unpleasant jobs for us. Your father’s one of them.”
“Oh,” said Jem. “Well.”
“Don’t you oh well me, sir,” Miss Maudie replied, recognizing Jem’s fatalistic noises, “you are not old enough to appreciate what I said.”A man stands in the gap and does what must be done. Doing so earns the respect even of one’s most ardent critics; after facing a myriad of taunts and threats from his neighbors for his defense of Tom Robinson, Atticus is once more re-elected to the state legislature …unanimously.

A man lives with integrity every day.

cont'd

The rest of the article (http://artofmanliness.com/2011/02/02/lessons-in-manliness-from-atticus-finch/)

GKeeper316
2/4/2011, 04:57 PM
i got my lessons in manliness from john holmes.

okie52
2/4/2011, 05:32 PM
One of my favorite movies. Inherit the Wind was another.

The Profit
2/4/2011, 05:48 PM
One of my favorite movies. Inherit the Wind was another.

Whose side were you on; Clarence Darrow or William Jenning Bryan?

I agree. Both of these are outstanding movies. I really believe "To Kill a Mockingbird" is one of the top 5 American novels of all time.

okie52
2/4/2011, 06:19 PM
Whose side were you on; Clarence Darrow or William Jenning Bryan?

I agree. Both of these are outstanding movies. I really believe "To Kill a Mockingbird" is one of the top 5 American novels of all time.

Darrow, of course, but I had the advantage of arriving 30 years after the fact.

Besides, Bryan was a liberal dem presbyterian;)

uncle mo
2/4/2011, 08:05 PM
You had me until the gambling, smoking and walking part.

How's the pup, my sister from another Mother???? My blind, deaf 17 year old is struggling in this stuff.

Okla-homey
2/4/2011, 08:09 PM
Thanks. Wonderful article. Miss Lee's fictional character is my professional ideal.

AlbqSooner
2/4/2011, 08:36 PM
An excellent ideal Homey.
Thanks for the post 3rdgen. That is one of the best novels of all time. The movie was actually very true to the book as well.

The Profit
2/4/2011, 09:28 PM
Darrow, of course, but I had the advantage of arriving 30 years after the fact.

Besides, Bryan was a liberal dem presbyterian;)

Yeah, pretty funny that the religious wackos of the day were the liberal dems. I used to go to Dayton, Tn quite often.

soonerinkaty
2/4/2011, 09:34 PM
Disregard females, acquire currency.

lexsooner
2/5/2011, 12:09 PM
Great article, thanks. I bookmarked the site.

StoopTroup
2/5/2011, 12:54 PM
I got my manly ideas from JFK and later polished up my manhood with playboy Magazines until I was able to convince Heidi how to do a really good Riccola Commercial.