PDA

View Full Version : I guess this is one way to break up with your wife

Sooner_Bob
2/4/2011, 11:51 AM
Link (http://www.toothpicks.org/2011/02/serious-abuse-of-power-hilarious/)

You may have read recently that a British immigration officer decided to get rid of his wife by covertly placing her on a ‘no fly’ list while she was outside the country. It worries me greatly that this was possible (not to say that it particularly surprises me, however). It provides further proof that Jacqui Smith, who created the department in question, was one of the worst things to happen to British human rights in a very long time. It sickens me that the officer appears to have emerged from this without any kind of criminal proceedings.

For the moment, though, I will leave all of those issues to one side. What really, genuinely shocks me is the tone set by the news coverage; look at Reuters’ take on the issue:

If you thought breaking up with someone via text message was harsh, wait until you hear about this.

Or perhaps Time’s incisive opening:

Sometimes marriage gets a bad rap. But it’s another thing completely to prevent your wife from ever coming home. Avoidance issues, anyone?

Yes, I’m quoting selectively, but honestly those excerpts pretty much embody the attitude of the articles. No righteous indignation, no calls for justice, no questioning of how a single officer could exile an innocent woman for three years with no recourse nor even an indication of why she was not allowed home. Just a light chuckle from the press about the perils of marriage, and the whimsical lengths that these silly 1950s-stereotype men will go to in order to avoid their wives. This is the best we can get from an industry that makes its money by telling us that rapist-paedophile-communist-bankers are waiting around every corner to strike at our children?

olevetonahill
2/4/2011, 12:04 PM
Link (http://www.toothpicks.org/2011/02/serious-abuse-of-power-hilarious/)

Sounds like some broad wrote that and is pizzed cause The "MAN" dint get in enough trouble. Had a Wife done this the NOW would be praising her to the heavens :P

jumperstop
2/4/2011, 12:10 PM
Where is the real story? I have trouble believing that anyone could acctually do this and get aways with it, but I have even more doubt because she just put up with it for three years. I would have gone to the US consulate within hours of realizing I was on a no fly list.

3rdgensooner
2/4/2011, 12:24 PM
Had a Wife done this the NOW would be praising her to the heavens :P
Or Charlie Sheen

olevetonahill
2/4/2011, 12:31 PM
Or Charlie Sheen

Hell he was prolly Poed cause she didnt make him a Sammich. Speakin of which get back in the dayum kitchen woman :P

soonerboy_odanorth
2/4/2011, 04:45 PM
Where I am from... if you want to break up with a woman... you simply say, "I break with thee, I break with thee, I break with thee," and then you a-throw de dog a-poopy on da shoes!

So me and my swinging cousin... we go out...

And we a-look a-for de girls with de dog a-poopy on de shoes!

Cause we a wild and a-crazy guys!

SoCaliSooner
2/4/2011, 04:48 PM
I'd take my wife out fishing...in the San Francisco bay...

The Profit
2/4/2011, 05:54 PM
I'd take my wife out fishing...in the San Francisco bay...

Didn't work out very good for the last dude that tried that.

StoopTroup
2/5/2011, 12:43 PM
You'd look pretty bad if you took her out and she drowned you.