PDA

View Full Version : Can you get a new letter jacket if you lost it?

Shakadoodoo
2/3/2011, 10:02 PM
I was wondering if anyone knew if you could get a new letter jacket if you lost it. I gave mine to a woman, like a dummy, when I was still in college. I would love to get a new one to give to my pops.

SicEmBaylor
2/3/2011, 10:04 PM
HS or college?

Curly Bill
2/3/2011, 10:07 PM
Call Jostens

StoopTroup
2/3/2011, 10:08 PM
and...who made the jacket?

I'd think you could buy the jacket from the company that made them for your school and the school might help you with any patches.

Shakadoodoo
2/3/2011, 10:10 PM
HS or college?

College - OU Letter Jacket.

Shakadoodoo
2/3/2011, 10:12 PM
Call Jostens

Thought they made rings - Not OU Letter Jackets

Shakadoodoo
2/3/2011, 10:13 PM
and...who made the jacket?

I'd think you could buy the jacket from the company that made them for your school and the school might help you with any patches.

Yea, but that would seem kind of fake if I could not get it from the Athletic Department.

SicEmBaylor
2/3/2011, 10:13 PM
I lost mine as well somewhere along the way. I'm sure I have it somewhere, but I'd never order a new one.

Curly Bill
2/3/2011, 10:14 PM
Thought they made rings - Not OU Letter Jackets

I think they do both.

SicEmBaylor
2/3/2011, 10:14 PM
Yea, but that would seem kind of fake if I could not get it from the Athletic Department.

If you earned it to begin with then I wouldn't say it's fake since you're just replacing it.

Shakadoodoo
2/3/2011, 10:16 PM
If you earned it to begin with then I wouldn't say it's fake since you're just replacing it.

Thats a good point - Ill have to look into that - Thanks!

StoopTroup
2/3/2011, 10:20 PM
Does the Chess Club give out Letter jackets?

2121Sooner
2/3/2011, 10:24 PM

SicEm got his jacket for being on the debate team so I dont see why not....

Curly Bill
2/3/2011, 10:25 PM

At least in Texas high schools you can get a letter jacket for doing damn near anything. It sucks and cheapens the whole idea.

I don't know how Oklahoma high schools or colleges do it.

SpankyNek
2/3/2011, 10:27 PM
OU letter jackets are handled by Balfour, they are no longer sold at any campus locations, but at the Balfour location in "downtown" Norman. They will run about $250 for leather sleeves...you will need to contact the athletic department for your letter.

I checked into these about three months ago, as I thought it would be the perfect jacket (Was not going to get a letter obviously).

Shakadoodoo
2/3/2011, 10:30 PM
OU letter jackets are handled by Balfour, they are no longer sold at any campus locations, but at the Balfour location in "downtown" Norman. They will run about $250 for leather sleeves...you will need to contact the athletic department for your letter.

I checked into these about three months ago, as I thought it would be the perfect jacket (Was not going to get a letter obviously).

That's whats up! Thanks.

SicEmBaylor
2/3/2011, 10:33 PM
SicEm got his jacket for being on the debate team so I dont see why not....

Actually, I did letter in Debate. However, my athletic letter came from swimming.

FTG had 3 different jackets each with a different sleeve color indicating what sort of letter you had. Cream colored sleeves were for athletics, black was band, and white was academics.

I suppose Baylor gives out athletic letters, but I have never ever seen a Baylor letterjacket. I've seen a few OU lettermen wearing theirs from time to time, but I've never in my life seen someone wearing a Baylor jacket.

SicEmBaylor
2/3/2011, 10:35 PM
At least in Texas high schools you can get a letter jacket for doing damn near anything. It sucks and cheapens the whole idea.

I don't know how Oklahoma high schools or colleges do it.

A lot of schools evidently give them out now merely for participation which kind of sucks. Unless things have changed, FTG did it based on a point system. You earned X amount of points for certain accomplishments.

Shakadoodoo
2/3/2011, 10:37 PM
Actually, I did letter in Debate. However, my athletic letter came from swimming.

FTG had 3 different jackets each with a different sleeve color indicating what sort of letter you had. Cream colored sleeves were for athletics, black was band, and white was academics.

I suppose Baylor gives out athletic letters, but I have never ever seen a Baylor letterjacket. I've seen a few OU lettermen wearing theirs from time to time, but I've never in my life seen someone wearing a Baylor jacket.

Swimming is a hard sport! They are in super good shape. I remember every morning at 6:00 am we had a choice to either run 4 miles or swim 1 mile - I chose swimming 1 mile ONCE!

Curly Bill
2/3/2011, 10:38 PM
A lot of schools evidently give them out now merely for participation which kind of sucks. Unless things have changed, FTG did it based on a point system. You earned X amount of points for certain accomplishments.

Schools can use whatever criteria they want to I guess, but in Texas high schools these days yeah, it's pretty much based on participation. Letter in a sport, or participate in a sanctioned activity and get a jacket. :O

SicEmBaylor
2/3/2011, 10:45 PM
Swimming is a hard sport! They are in super good shape. I remember every morning at 6:00 am we had a choice to either run 4 miles or swim 1 mile - I chose swimming 1 mile ONCE!

Swimming is the only sport I ever had any talent at. I swam competitively for 10 years, but a good portion of my life was spent in that pool either practicing, coaching, teaching swim lessons, or lifeguarding. I practiced every morning, during school, and after school. I swam on the USS league for several years, but by the time I got to HS my height problem became too big of an issue. I was always shorter than everyone else, but I used to be good enough to make up the difference.

Once I got to HS, I just couldn't keep up with everyone purely on speed. HOWEVER, my endurance was always phenomenal so I switched to long distance swimming in HS and found my niche doing that...500m, 200m free, and whatever relay races they needed me on.

That was the best shape I've ever been in. I really miss the routine of working out. Once I got into my rythum, I could swim laps almost indefinitely. And swimming is so tranquil and peaceful...it sort of shuts you out from the outside world....it's just you and the water. After awhile, I could almost go to sleep and nap while doing laps.

Baylor has a phenomenal aquatic center, and I told myself that I'd keep up the routine of swimming before classes every morning once I got to college, but that never ever worked out. I didn't put one toe in a pool for years. The last time I got in the water, I was barely able to do a 50 before passing out. I've drank and smoked waaaay too many cigars over the years I guess.

SicEmBaylor
2/3/2011, 10:49 PM
I'm the kind of guy that's always stuck in the past in one way or the other. It really kind of makes me sad to think back to my last swim meet and how much I miss my team. Not just the competition but just the fun of being with your friends and the comradeship of it all. The late night bus rides back to town, eating at CiCi's after EVERY meet, our coach driving the bus like it was a corvette....good times. Those are all really good memories for me. It's stuff that you just can't get back once it's gone.

The same thing applies to my debate team and the debate tournaments. Best time of my life...without a doubt.

Shakadoodoo
2/3/2011, 10:59 PM
I'm the kind of guy that's always stuck in the past in one way or the other. It really kind of makes me sad to think back to my last swim meet and how much I miss my team. Not just the competition but just the fun of being with your friends and the comradeship of it all. The late night bus rides back to town, eating at CiCi's after EVERY meet, our coach driving the bus like it was a corvette....good times. Those are all really good memories for me. It's stuff that you just can't get back once it's gone.

The same thing applies to my debate team and the debate tournaments. Best time of my life...without a doubt.

I'm with you there. I miss everything except loosing weight. That was for the birds! I still coach youth wrestling though. And I do not allow my kids to pull weight - that ruins wrestling for many kids!

proud gonzo
2/4/2011, 01:12 AM
You guys had places that GAVE them out? At my high school anybody could buy a letter jacket. They just gave you the letters if you earned them in something.

I never bought a letter jacket. The girls' ones were butt-ugly anyway. I thought about ordering a guy's jacket, but the small was too big for me. Plus I couldn't decide which letters and stuff I'd want to put on it.

I didn't even know OU had letter jackets.

SicEmBaylor
2/4/2011, 01:27 AM
You guys had places that GAVE them out? At my high school anybody could buy a letter jacket. They just gave you the letters if you earned them in something.

I never bought a letter jacket. The girls' ones were butt-ugly anyway. I thought about ordering a guy's jacket, but the small was too big for me. Plus I couldn't decide which letters and stuff I'd want to put on it.

I didn't even know OU had letter jackets.

We had to buy the jacket, but the school gave the letter. The girls always bought the men's jackets because the women's had that ugly flap thing in the back. The only girls that wore the female jackets were the cheerleaders.

There was a sports shop in Muskogee that carried all of the jackets. You just took your letter in and picked out which jacket you wanted (black for band, cream for athletics, and white for academics) and then they sewed on the letter.

Also, on the horizontal part of the "T" in FTG, you'd put an additional smaller patch indicating what sport or sports you lettered in. So, I had one for swimming and debate. And then down the "T" you would put a gold cross bar for each year that you lettered or each year you participated in the sport. So, my letter had 4 bars and then a 5 pointed star indicating that I was a team captain.

And then you'd put additional patches down the arms for winning tournaments, district finals, championships, etc.

proud gonzo
2/4/2011, 01:32 AM
Eh, my black leather jacket looked cooler than a blue-and-yellow letter jacket.

SicEmBaylor
2/4/2011, 01:34 AM
Eh, my black leather jacket looked cooler than a blue-and-yellow letter jacket.

Yeah...ours were pretty f'n ugly to be honest.

C&CDean
2/4/2011, 08:47 AM
I was wondering if anyone knew if you could get a new letter jacket if you lost it. I gave mine to a woman, like a dummy, when I was still in college.

It was a white bitch, wasn't it?

Sooner_Bob
2/4/2011, 08:53 AM
FFA jacket > letter jacket

Shakadoodoo
2/4/2011, 08:55 AM
It was a white bitch, wasn't it?

Nope - we were to afraid of getting accused for rape, if their daddy found out, back then.

Shakadoodoo
2/4/2011, 08:56 AM
FFA jacket > letter jacket

I actually got mine for something - It matched my Big 8 Champion ring very well!

Sooner_Bob
2/4/2011, 09:00 AM
I actually got mine for something - It matched my Big 8 Champion ring very well!

Well congrats to you!

I assumed you'd realize I was comparing high school jackets . . . since they don't hand out FFA jackets in college. :)

Shakadoodoo
2/4/2011, 09:01 AM
Well congrats to you!

I assumed you'd realize I was comparing high school jackets . . . since they don't hand out FFA jackets in college. :)

I thought OSU had FFA letter jackets. lol

Sooner_Bob
2/4/2011, 09:04 AM
I thought OSU had FFA letter jackets. lol

I'm sure they have something close . . . gotta wear something to the barn. :D

C&CDean
2/4/2011, 09:30 AM
I'm sure they have something close . . . gotta wear something to the prom. :D

fify