PDA

View Full Version : E.J. Manuel FSU QB

JLEW1818
2/3/2011, 09:58 PM
will be the most talented QB we play this season, in Tallahassee,.

This kid tore up South Carolina in the Bowl game this past season.

A mobile quarterback, on the road.

Hope we are ready for this. We tend to struggle against them.

OU_Sooners75
2/3/2011, 10:00 PM
He may be the most talented QB we face this year, but he will also be one of the most inexperienced.

JLEW1818
2/3/2011, 10:02 PM
He may be the most talented QB we face this year, but he will also be one of the most inexperienced.

yep. I think he will be similar to J. Harris, maybe a little better. I think we have a better team in 2011 tho, compared to 2009. But this 2011 FSU team is better than 2009 Miami.... should be great game... I'd love to go to it!

Soonerson1975
2/3/2011, 10:02 PM
Better than Weeden?

BusterRhymes86
2/3/2011, 10:03 PM
South Carolina was not that great. I like our chances

JLEW1818
2/3/2011, 10:03 PM
I think so.

Weeden is 35 years old and should not be allowed to play....

JLEW1818
2/3/2011, 10:04 PM
South Carolina was not that great. I like our chances

beat Alabama

right now, I'd say the spread would be OU-4

sooner94
2/3/2011, 10:09 PM
Really looking forward to this game. If you want to win titles, you have to win games like this.

Will probably go to this game. Bring it on Noles!

JLEW1818
2/3/2011, 10:10 PM
i guess Jacksonville is the place to fly into?

sooner94
2/3/2011, 10:21 PM
Yeah, looks like it. Atlanta is 5 hours away. Jacksonville only 2 1/2 hours away. Probably better off flying there and then driving. You usually get killed on airfare flying into small college towns.

OU_Sooners75
2/3/2011, 10:23 PM
Better than Weeden?

You think Weeden is a talented QB?

He is good, but he is nothing spectular.

Soonerson1975
2/3/2011, 10:27 PM
You think Weeden is a talented QB?

He is good, but he is nothing spectular.

He's better than EJ Manuel, as of now anyway.

sooner94
2/3/2011, 10:36 PM
i guess Jacksonville is the place to fly into?

Just looked on American Airlines. Over $500 to fly into Talahassee, only direct flight each day. Less than $300 direct to Jacksonville with 4 flights per day.

This guy says fly into Jacksonville and rent a car and drive to Talahassee.

sooner ngintunr
2/3/2011, 10:39 PM
right now, I'd say the spread would be OU-4

:eek:

sperry
2/3/2011, 10:52 PM
I'm not remotely worried about the FSU offense. If we lose this game, it will be because our offense turns the ball over a bunch of times and we give up non-offensive touchdowns.

OU_Sooners75
2/3/2011, 11:04 PM

He is also 9 years older and more mature as an adult...doesnt mean he is more talented.

OU-HSV
2/3/2011, 11:11 PM
will be the most talented QB we play this season, in Tallahassee,.

This kid tore up South Carolina in the Bowl game this past season.

A mobile quarterback, on the road.

Hope we are ready for this. We tend to struggle against them.

Better/more talented than RG3??
Guess I don't see what makes you think this

Eielson
2/3/2011, 11:30 PM
Is he better than Garrett Gilbert?

LRoss
2/3/2011, 11:34 PM
Not to say that they won't be a good team that we'll need to play very well to beat -- that's all true -- but OU will probably be the best defense that he sees all year.

Is the season close yet?

Collier11
2/3/2011, 11:35 PM
Maybe FSU will be RJ Washingtons break out game, speed on speed

prrriiide
2/4/2011, 02:35 AM
Fly into Mobile. A little further, maybe a little more $$, but the drive is a lot better. And you can stop at a few selected watering holes (like the Floribama) along the way.

http://coacheshotseat.com/coacheshotseatblog/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/FloraBama.jpg

cleller
2/4/2011, 07:29 AM
Is he better than Garrett Gilbert?

What's Eating Garrett Gilbert anyway?:texan:

JLEW1818
2/4/2011, 09:38 AM
Better/more talented than RG3??
Guess I don't see what makes you think this

After seeing Griffin twice this past season, I was not impressed. Saw him in Waco when we came to town. What tops it off was against Illinois in Houston. All I saw was a fast kid that couldn't throw or make a proper qb draw reads.

OU-HSV
2/4/2011, 10:25 AM
After seeing Griffin twice this past season, I was not impressed. Saw him in Waco when we came to town. What tops it off was against Illinois in Houston. All I saw was a fast kid that couldn't throw or make a proper qb draw reads.

Well I'd take a more proven talent in Griffin over a guy that's had minimal playing time in EJ Manuel anyday. And that's the main point, Griffin has proven talent and athleticism that we've all actually been able to see. I'm not saying he's the ultimate passing QB, and as you hint at he isn't totally polished. But he IS more proven in the mobility category and the passing categories than EJ is. And since the point of your thread is that EJ is the most talented QB we will face this year, I simply disagree. And here's more to tell you why.

Griffin's career stats:
509/790 6073 yards 41 tds 11 ints
1558 Rush yards 23 rush tds

EJ Manuel's stats:
134/199 1678 yards 6 tds 10 ints
366 rush yards 3 tds

To me it would seem obvious or more easily supported with facts/stats to say that Robert Griffin III will be the most talented QB we play this season. And the same case could probably be made for Weeden as well, except for the fact that he's not a mobile QB as the two we are talking about are. And mobility is one of the points you mentioned.

JLEW1818
2/4/2011, 10:27 AM
I'm telling ya, if you watched this kid in the bowl game, he looked fantastic. South Carolina was a good team. Him playing at home will help him.

Ponder went down, so I'm sure South Carolina didn't prepare for him. But what i saw made me very nervous. FSU will start thet season off top 5-10.

OU-HSV
2/4/2011, 10:35 AM
I'm telling ya, if you watched this kid in the bowl game, he looked fantastic. South Carolina was a good team. Him playing at hope will help him.

I watched a lot of bowls (who doesn't anymore there are a million bowls it seems :D ) and I'm sure I watched that one too, I'd be lying to you if I said I remember exactly how he looked in that game. But I just now pulled his stats up from that game and they aren't eye popping or anything.
11/15 84 yards 1 td and 7 car 46 yards rushing
So he must have impressed you more w/his reads and/or playing style I guess?
Maybe he'll pan out, but my point is that I don't think it makes sense to say he's the most talented QB we will face this year. And even to say he's the most athletic and mobile QB we will play this year would be a stretch at this point as well. Oh well, I was just curious what made you think this. And it seems like one bowl game he played in is what you're basing it on I guess? (and btw, I'm not trying to sound like a smart ***...just trying to take advantage of being snowed in and talk some football :D )

rekamrettuB
2/4/2011, 10:36 AM
Looks like I can Skype Robert Griffin III now!!!

SunnySooner
2/4/2011, 10:46 AM
Yeah, looks like it. Atlanta is 5 hours away. Jacksonville only 2 1/2 hours away. Probably better off flying there and then driving. You usually get killed on airfare flying into small college towns.

Actually, for all those coming down, check flights to Orlando. Because it's a tourist mecca, you can often get really good deals, and it's only about an hour further away than Jax.

For you Eastern Okies, check Allegiant Air out of Fayetteville, AR. They almost always have flights into Orlando for around $200, sometimes significantly less.

See y'all at the game!! ;)

SunnySooner
2/4/2011, 10:50 AM
Oh, and yeah, all my Nole buddies are pretty excited about EJ. They will def. miss Ponder, and EJ is sure to make some boneheaded, lack-of-experience, type of mistakes, but he brings an element to their offense that was lacking with Ponder, very mobile.

And yeah, I hate mobile QBs, they always give us fits. I think we win this one just because we are overall the better team, but I bet it's a nailbiter.

OU-HSV
2/4/2011, 10:55 AM
.....And yeah, I hate mobile QBs, they always give us fits. I think we win this one just because we are overall the better team, but I bet it's a nailbiter.

It does almost always seem this way. Drives me nuts too.

JLEW1818
2/4/2011, 11:01 AM
i don't mind them at home... i just hate them on the road!!

OU-HSV
2/4/2011, 11:05 AM
i don't mind them at home... i just hate them on the road!!

This is true. OUr D seems to contain mobile QBs better at home.

Sooner74
2/4/2011, 11:05 AM
Ok couple of comments. I go to games down in Tally every few years.

1) Fly into Orlando. It will be cheaper and honestly a 3 hr drive isn't much of a difference from a 4.5 hr drive.

2) Tally is the capitol and a college town. There is a fair amount to do there and a fair amount of ladies to see. I highly recommend the Hooters in Tally.

3) Get to the game early and stay late. There is tons to do around the stadium and there will be more than a few gracious FSU fans.

5) If you don't mind a little drive stay in Thomasville, Georgia. Its a small town a little away that will substantially reduce hotel rates.

4) From what I have seen, I believed EJ should have been starting all year over Ponder. I believe the staff went with Ponder because he was more experienced and didn't make as many boneheaded plays, but EJ is a way better playmaker. He will play well, and they will play us hard. Those doubting EJ need to calm down and realize he isn't a scrub playing for arkansas tech. He is a D1 player and has been grooming under Ponder. He has the spring as well.

rekamrettuB
2/4/2011, 11:09 AM
My wife flew into Tallahassee thru Memphis (Southwest) for pretty cheap.

JLEW1818
2/4/2011, 11:10 AM
i didn't know that Southwest flew into Tal.?

rekamrettuB
2/4/2011, 11:12 AM
i didn't know that Southwest flew into Tal.?

I'm almost positive it was Southwest. Maybe it was AA but I do know it was Tally. She then drove to PCB to visit a friend.

OU-HSV
2/4/2011, 11:16 AM
Ok couple of comments. I go to games down in Tally every few years.

1) Fly into Orlando. It will be cheaper and honestly a 3 hr drive isn't much of a difference from a 4.5 hr drive.

2) Tally is the capitol and a college town. There is a fair amount to do there and a fair amount of ladies to see. I highly recommend the Hooters in Tally.

3) Get to the game early and stay late. There is tons to do around the stadium and there will be more than a few gracious FSU fans.

5) If you don't mind a little drive stay in Thomasville, Georgia. Its a small town a little away that will substantially reduce hotel rates.

4) From what I have seen, I believed EJ should have been starting all year over Ponder. I believe the staff went with Ponder because he was more experienced and didn't make as many boneheaded plays, but EJ is a way better playmaker. He will play well, and they will play us hard. Those doubting EJ need to calm down and realize he isn't a scrub playing for arkansas tech. He is a D1 player and has been grooming under Ponder. He has the spring as well.

I never said he's going to suck, and I'm not really doubting he has potential. I was just striking conversation against what JLEW was saying. He may be a very talented kid, and may do great. But I just don't see him being the most talented QB we will face.

JLEW1818
2/4/2011, 11:17 AM
already got some great football talk and it's only Feb! :D

StoopTroup
2/4/2011, 11:23 AM
Indeed...the Hooters in Tally was one of the best I've ever been too. I still wonder if the food is any good.

OU-HSV
2/4/2011, 11:24 AM
already got some great football talk and it's only Feb! :D

Heh. No kidding. :pop:

I must say I'd rather this game be played in Norman again.

And in regards to Robert Griffin...the Baylor game in '09 in Norman was one that I went to..I looked forward to seeing Griffin play in person to see how good he either was or wasn't. But then he got injured and was out anyway. But coincidentally that ended up being the last game I saw Sam Bradford play in. I hope to make it to a Rams game someday though

JLEW1818
2/4/2011, 11:29 AM
me too. I was in Norman to see Sam play his last home game.. :(

Okie35
2/4/2011, 02:53 PM

Yea he is but as far as talented no. I think Manuel is easily the better athlete plus he's more elusive but I don't think he's any better than Griffin. We saw how that worked out. FSU does have more talent than Baylor though.

PalmBeachSooner
2/4/2011, 03:00 PM
What's Eating Garrett Gilbert anyway?:texan:

If you are going to fly to Mobile, then why not Pensacola? Pensacola is a major party town. T-hassee is about a 3 hour drive (180 miles)...but a boring *** drive, but so is the drive from Jacksonville. There ain't schmidt in between.

ouwasp
2/4/2011, 03:13 PM
Yeah, I remember watching the FSU qb in the bowl.... he played very well... I knew Ponder wasn't playing for some reason, but I caught myself hoping the backup was a sr... nope... we'll get him next fall.... one of those scrambling types like the Utah St qb...

Sooner_Tuf
2/4/2011, 03:31 PM
Better than Weeden?

No, don't be silly. The only reason Weeden isn't in the NFL is it wouldn't be fair to the other players. Plus it would jeopardize his social security.

oudavid1
2/4/2011, 05:56 PM
Ill take Weeden all day.

yankee
2/4/2011, 06:39 PM
Consider me in the group that doesn't think EJ Manuel is all he's cracked up to be, at least this point in his career. We'll be fine.

JLEW1818
2/4/2011, 06:42 PM
i think will be fine too.... but this FSU team will probably be ranked top 5. We will play on the road... so we know it will be at night...

I'm glad it's early in the season