PDA

View Full Version : Suh wins ROY over Sam

Mike Stoops
2/3/2011, 05:47 PM
Joke. Sam broke two of Peyton Mannings rookie records and tied several more and he did it with a horrible line and scout team WRs. Suh made some sacks on a team that finished 6-10. No comparison.

Prodigal
2/3/2011, 05:50 PM
I probably would have voted for Suh.

Mike Stoops
2/3/2011, 05:53 PM
I probably would have voted for Suh.

I'm not saying Suh's not a great player but what Sam accomplished was far more difficult and therefore impressive in my opinion.

sooner ngintunr
2/3/2011, 05:54 PM
They'll both win ROY.

sooner518
2/3/2011, 05:54 PM
either one would have been a good choice.

AlboSooner
2/3/2011, 05:57 PM
The quarterback position is more complicated than the position of a defensive lineman. The sheer information one needs to know and remember in order to be a QB in the NFL surpasses that of being a d-lineman. It's like giving the title of academic person of the year, to somebody who graduated college over somebody who just received a PHD.

Suh production was impressive this season.

KBoomer11
2/3/2011, 05:59 PM
They'll both win ROY.

True. I thought there was offensive and defensive? If so, we all knew Suh would win.

Mike Stoops
2/3/2011, 06:06 PM
True. I thought there was offensive and defensive? If so, we all knew Suh would win.

Those are the AP awards. This is the one that Pepsi sponsors with the NFL.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/early-lead/2011/02/ndamukong_suh_named_nfls_rooki.html

texaspokieokie
2/3/2011, 06:17 PM
a boy named suh made the pro-bowl.

Soonerson1975
2/3/2011, 06:24 PM
a boy named suh made the pro-bowl.

And may of been the best DT in the NFL this year.

badger
2/3/2011, 06:42 PM
It's like giving the title of academic person of the year, to somebody who graduated college over somebody who just received a PHD.

It's like being on the same honor roll back in high school as the kids who took crappy classes their final year instead of AP courses :mad:

starclassic tama
2/3/2011, 07:05 PM
no, it's more like suh being arguably the best player at his position in the entire NFL as a rookie, and sam being nowhere near the best quarterback in the league. sam had a great year, and will get the AP offensive rookie of the year, but suh definitely deserved the ROY.

meoveryouxinfinity
2/3/2011, 07:39 PM
sam played on a worse team with a terrible WR corps

starclassic tama
2/3/2011, 07:40 PM
he didn't play on a worse team. the rams were 7-9 and a win over seattle away from making the playoffs, the lions were 6-10 and never really a factor at all.

Soonermagik
2/3/2011, 07:45 PM
Who made their team better? Easy... Sam The Rams went from winning one game to the playoffs in one year. Suh is a good player, but this is a QB league. If your QB sucks you aren't going anywhere. Put it this way, every GM in the league would take Sam over Suh if the draft was tomorrow. What a freaking joke!!!!

Tiptonsooner
2/3/2011, 07:45 PM
I bet Sam DGAF. He is too busy playing ping pong on his "really nice" table.

He knows he had a great year considering the circumstances, so does everyone else.

Mike Stoops
2/3/2011, 07:50 PM
I don't think some of you appreciate the difficulties of playing QB in the NFL and the challenges Sam was able to overcome.

meoveryouxinfinity
2/3/2011, 07:53 PM
I don't think some of you appreciate the difficulties of playing QB in the NFL and the challenges Sam was able to overcome.

This. Buttttttttt Suh was definitely better than McCoy. Both were good though.

Eielson
2/3/2011, 07:54 PM
The quarterback position is more complicated than the position of a defensive lineman. The sheer information one needs to know and remember in order to be a QB in the NFL surpasses that of being a d-lineman. It's like giving the title of academic person of the year, to somebody who graduated college over somebody who just received a PHD.

Suh production was impressive this season.

So you think QB's should always win the ROY? Just because Bradford processes more information doesn't make him better. DT is a much more physically demanding position. Would some wild analogy talking about the physical demands of the position make my argument better? It's like giving a toughness award to somebody who plays COD instead of the guy who is actually fighting in a war.

Bradford production was impressive for a rookie this season.

Mike Stoops
2/3/2011, 07:58 PM
If Donnie Avery and Mark Clayton didn't blow out their knees who knows what kinda numbers Sam could've put up. I don't think they'll be able to get A.J. Green but maybe Julio Jones will be available in this years draft.

Eielson
2/3/2011, 08:02 PM
Who made their team better? Easy... Sam The Rams went from winning one game to the playoffs in one year. Suh is a good player, but this is a QB league. If your QB sucks you aren't going anywhere. Put it this way, every GM in the league would take Sam over Suh if the draft was tomorrow. What a freaking joke!!!!

I don't buy that. I think plenty of teams would take Suh. As for the winning argument, Detroit went from 2-14 to 6-10 in a much tougher conference. The Rams did not make the playoffs, and the turnaround was certainly not all Sam.

Scott D
2/3/2011, 08:18 PM
he didn't play on a worse team. the rams were 7-9 and a win over seattle away from making the playoffs, the lions were 6-10 and never really a factor at all.

Lions were a terrible call from 7-9, and a being able to close out games comprehension from being 10-6 in probably the toughest division in the entire NFL this season. With mostly a backup and third string QB starting most of the season.

Rams went 7-9 in arguably the worst division in a decade.

sooner94
2/3/2011, 08:33 PM
I bet Sam DGAF. He is too busy playing ping pong on his "really nice" table.

He knows he had a great year considering the circumstances, so does everyone else.

That was a great line. And on Sunday night prime time too.

StoopTroup
2/3/2011, 08:40 PM
Suh should play QB next year

SoonerShay
2/3/2011, 08:53 PM
Anyone that wants to diminish what Sam did because his division was weak, needs to look at what Suh was facing in his division. Sure they had 2 teams make the NFC championship game, but they also had 2 of the worst teams in the league in giving up sacks.
Chicago coming in dead last in that category.

The Chicago Oline was a joke to start the year, Green Bay I think had injuries at first and the Minnesota Oline is mediocre and they sucked this year.

The dude was good, but he got some help against those Olines. BIG12 Olines sucked last year too. There were 2 interior lineman, total, drafted from the BIG12 last year.

SoonerBread
2/3/2011, 09:13 PM
So you think QB's should always win the ROY?

I don't think that's what's being said. Besides, it's not every year a rookie QB starts, or even plays, for his team, let alone does what Bradford did.

I could be wrong, but I think what's being said is that a 1-15 team had a rookie QB almost get them into the playoffs despite no WR and a weak OL. Had they made it, he probably would have walked away with this meaningless award. But they didn't. Oh well.

Giving the award to Suh is fine with me. Like someone else said, I'm sure Bradford DGAF. I think he's got other accolades in mind.

Sooner_Tuf
2/3/2011, 09:16 PM
I think only four QBs have won rookie of the year since the inception of the award.

StoopTroup
2/3/2011, 09:18 PM
Suh is a good Player. To be ROY...he needed to really get lots of highlights throughout the year. He played well....but Sam as a QB is gonna get more coverage and if the Rams had beat the Seahawks and made the Playoffs....Suh wouldn't even get Honorable Mention.

Scott D
2/3/2011, 09:20 PM
Suh is a good Player. To be ROY...he needed to really get lots of highlights throughout the year. He played well....but Sam as a QB is gonna get more coverage and if the Rams had beat the Seahawks and made the Playoffs....Suh wouldn't even get Honorable Mention.

Suh's interception return was a pretty good highlight...so was his ending up on the fine list every 3-4 weeks.

StoopTroup
2/3/2011, 09:31 PM
Suh's interception return was a pretty good highlight...so was his ending up on the fine list every 3-4 weeks.

Agreed, but Sam being in the highlight reel every week with a shot at winning a bunch of games in the final minutes of the 4th quarter really got him more than Suh and if you look at those loses....who on their Team had a chance to win those close games? Sam definitely has him in that too.

You guys can kiss all the Suh *** you want....it still won't change the fact that he might deserve recognition as a Defensive Player but as a ROY who had the most to offer his Team as a Leader....Sam wins that hands down. Anyone with some football knowledge realizes a decent QB fills a lot more Stadium Seats than a really good Defensive Player. It's not a thing that happens all the time but Offensive Players get more notice than Defensive Players unless the Defensive player makes a Game Winning play.

Once Suh has been in the NFL for 10 years and is in the Pro Bowl damn near every year...he'll have proved himself. A Rookie QB getting near the Playoffs wins hands down.

You may not like it....but you know it's true. Not only that...as a Sooner Fan...I'd think you'd be giving it to him anyway. Suh almost stopped texas single handedly but his team still allowed the whorns into the MNC Game against Alabama and they got smoked. Suh deserves accolades but I'll let Husker Fans and ESPN give it to him.

Sam missed a lot of Football before heading into the NFL do to his injuries. For him to train, get Combine Stats that he did....go so high in the draft with so much against him and then work his *** off and become an NFL Starter and miss the Playoffs by one game.....AstOUnding is my claim. An amazing guy who proved he could lead in Norman and now has proved he can lead on Sundays.

JLEW1818
2/3/2011, 09:44 PM
no, it's more like suh being arguably the best player at his position in the entire NFL as a rookie, and sam being nowhere near the best quarterback in the league. sam had a great year, and will get the AP offensive rookie of the year, but suh definitely deserved the ROY.

Sam, a "QB" took a team from 1-15 to 7-9

JLEW1818
2/3/2011, 09:45 PM
I don't buy that. I think plenty of teams would take Suh. As for the winning argument, Detroit went from 2-14 to 6-10 in a much tougher conference. The Rams did not make the playoffs, and the turnaround was certainly not all Sam.

who was the reason then? The Woodlands High School WR ?

JLEW1818
2/3/2011, 09:47 PM
Lions were a terrible call from 7-9, and a being able to close out games comprehension from being 10-6 in probably the toughest division in the entire NFL this season. With mostly a backup and third string QB starting most of the season.

Rams went 7-9 in arguably the worst division in a decade.

so what does that mean? Maybe Matthew Stafford is overrated? He sure was in college. And the Lions did just fine without their qb this year. Looks like the Lions are not that bad. You can't say a DT made them 4 games better.

Eielson
2/3/2011, 09:47 PM

The defense was winning games. Not the offense.

JLEW1818
2/3/2011, 09:49 PM
damn u Eielson..... Miami is looking impressive right now... let's just wait till June :D :D :D

StoopTroup
2/3/2011, 10:29 PM
Bringing up the Rams being in a bad division is like saying Suh sucks because he failed to get his Team into the Super Bowl. Saying Suh deserves to be ROY is like saying Sam deserved another Heisman for being the #1 Draft Pick in the NFL. LMAO. You either win it or you don't. The rest is conjecture.

sperry
2/3/2011, 10:49 PM
Suh deserves it. Being the best player at your position as a rookie is extremely hard to do, especially at one of the toughest positions in the NFL to play. Sam would deserve ROY in most years, but not this one.

picasso
2/3/2011, 10:52 PM

Why is that I wonder?

EatLeadCommie
2/3/2011, 11:35 PM
Not dissing Sam, as I think he should have won, but it would have helped Sam immensely if he had led his team to some game winning drives. He had more than a few opportunities to do so this year and almost always seemed to throw a pick in that situation.

47straight
2/4/2011, 12:03 AM
Suh has to live and play in Detroit. Sucker.

CrimsonCommando
2/4/2011, 12:25 AM
Feck Suh. He went to the school with the wrong shade of red and I hope he gets his testicles desheathed in a bar fight. I may have just made up that word.

starclassic tama
2/4/2011, 02:46 AM
man you people are making this way too complicated. suh was a freaking pro-bowl starter, and led the league in sacks for defensive tackles. sam was a great candidate, and he definitely deserves and will get the offensive AP rookie of the year, but suh deserved this award.

olevetonahill
2/4/2011, 02:58 AM

You are so right , No one here on this board knows jack **** about Football. Please educate us some more :rolleyes:

Mike Stoops
2/4/2011, 03:39 AM
You are so right , No one here on this board knows jack **** about Football. Please educate us some more :rolleyes:

That's why I'm here :)

Scott D
2/4/2011, 07:47 AM
This thread is still funny to be honest. Seems to me the crux of angst for people is that the two 'finalists' were Sam and Suh...if it'd been Pouncey and Suh you'd probably be arguing why Suh should have won it over Pouncey...unless you were a Steelers fan.

EstablishedSooner1967
2/4/2011, 08:13 AM
I just dont understand the Suh love fest.. DL in a no thinking position. QB is the hardest position is sports..

sooneron
2/4/2011, 09:52 AM

NO! It was S Jackson's awe inspiring 3.8 YPC!!:texan:

JLEW1818
2/4/2011, 10:23 AM
:D, somehow i always land Jackson on my fantasy team.... i still think he sucks even tho he gets yards... just seems like a bust every year for me on my team.

Eielson
2/4/2011, 01:52 PM
NO! It was S Jackson's awe inspiring 3.8 YPC!!:texan:

You do realize that his YPC was so low because of the passing game, right?

Okie35
2/4/2011, 02:55 PM
Its the stupid Pepsi one right? It doesn't matter imo. Bradford will win Offensive Rookie of the Year. That one matters.

Eielson
2/4/2011, 02:57 PM
Its the stupid Pepsi one right? It doesn't matter imo. Bradford will win Offensive Rookie of the Year. That one matters.

If by "the stupid Pepsi one", you mean the official award given out by the NFL...then yes.

Okie35
2/4/2011, 03:01 PM
If by "the stupid Pepsi one", you mean the official award given out by the NFL...then yes.

AP ROY award > Pepsi. Yes, the Pepsi one is stupid. Bradford will get the AP one today. People actually remember that one.