PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have the balls......

SteelClip49
2/3/2011, 01:31 PM
to do this?

You may have a panic attack but damn, I wonder how much these guys get paid for doing this. This is fascinating stuff. Watch all the way to the end!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7k4Xk1mEwmI

olevetonahill
2/3/2011, 01:40 PM
Turd used to do that, we had this discussion
average pay is around 25 bucks an hour i think he said

SteelClip49
2/3/2011, 01:49 PM
That's pretty good but I think it should be more.

$25 an hour; $20 for every 20 steps taken after 500 feet; $100 for reaching the top; $20 for every minute it takes to get the job done at the top.

I bet paratroopers out of the service would love this job.

stoopified
2/3/2011, 02:39 PM
I watched as long as I could but that video made want to hurl.Anyone who climbs out in the open air at the height of a 170 story building has King Kong cojones.Mine have suddenly shrunk to the size of raisins.

2121Sooner
2/3/2011, 02:44 PM
I used to do that wearing nothing but a thong and a rainbow wig.

C&CDean
2/3/2011, 03:44 PM
I bet paratroopers out of the service would love this job.

Wrong. Being in a plane/jumping from a plane ain't nothing like walking out into space. I can't utoob here, but I'm assuming it's a video of an ironworker?

Anyhow, I've facilitated thousands of high-challenge ropes course events over the years and I find it infinitely more frightening than jumping from a plane. The only real worry jumping is "will my parachute open or not?" Once you pop silk, you're golden. In the ironworking field, every step could be your last. In the words of my dear, departed Aunt Eleanor, "one wrong step and it's bon voyage sucker!"

Boarder
2/3/2011, 03:48 PM
Dean, it's a video of a dude climbing up a tv antenna. All the way to the top. It's possibly the most pucker-inducing video of all time.

C&CDean
2/3/2011, 03:54 PM
Dean, it's a video of a dude climbing up a tv antenna. All the way to the top. It's possibly the most pucker-inducing video of all time.

Well that ain't quite as bad as stepping out into open space.

I've climbed Rhone towers and such (always with a harness and lobster claws to clip in). The one thing about it is you have your hands on. That gives me LOTS of reassurance when I'm way in the hell up there.

Something else that's interesting. It doesn't matter how high you go, the average human brain freaks out at roughly 12-20 feet off the ground. About the height of a house. Once you go beyond that, it's just dang high and your brain is telling your body to do all kinds of weird crap (adrenalin dumps, etc.). Some people can function through it, some cannot. I've had lots of people lock-up on the ropes course. They simply cannot move anymore they're so scared. If you can convinced these people to just make one more move they usually can overcome it and finish the event, or at least let go and hang in their harness. Height is a weird deal.

2121Sooner
2/3/2011, 04:21 PM
So you saying you adrenalin dumped on yourself when you were on your roof?

That is disgusting man

ouwino
2/3/2011, 04:38 PM
there aint no way!

StoopTroup
2/3/2011, 05:13 PM
Dean...he uses lobster claws when he rests but once he's around 1700 feet he's on the outside of the tower doing a free climb. He has a 30 lb tool bag on a line as he's going up. There is a guy following that keeps his tool bag from swinging around in the wind. Once they are at the top they latch on but it's pretty creepy. They can change the lights, check static wicks and antenna connections once they are up there.

soonerinkaty
2/3/2011, 05:15 PM
I would want to be compensated accordingly. And by accordingly, I mean over a mill a year.

49r
2/4/2011, 10:57 AM
Made me think of this:

y1Nd1qtk1Go

and people do this for fun.

jumperstop
2/4/2011, 11:22 AM
Made me think of this:

y1Nd1qtk1Go

and people do this for fun.

I've seen this before, not as bad as the attena IMO. I was getting nervous just watching that video, I don't see how those guys can do that. I would require a parachute or something just in case.

OUHOMER
2/4/2011, 11:32 AM
crazy people with a death wish

texaspokieokie
2/4/2011, 11:36 AM
i couldn't climb that tower.

when i was very young, sometimes i'd go to work with my Dad & when they weren't drilling i'd climb up the derrick.
wasn't that tall, cable tool rig, not rotary.

i got up maybe 20 to 30 feet.

SunnySooner
2/4/2011, 11:41 AM
I watched some of that series on the History Channel about America, they did a segment on the building of the skyscrapers after Carnegie started cranking out the cheap steel.

3 out of 5 of the beam workers fell to their deaths in the first year. 3 out of 5!!!!! And they knew that when they were hired, but did it anyway, because it paid $4/day instead of the average $2/day that ground jobs paid. No harnesses, nets, ropes, nuthin', just your feet and sense of balance.

BTW, some of the best "skywalkers" in those days were crews of Canadian and American Indians, esp. the Mohawk, who had naturally good balance and were not bothered by the heights.

jumperstop
2/4/2011, 11:43 AM
I watched some of that series on the History Channel about America, they did a segment on the building of the skyscrapers after Carnegie started cranking out the cheap steel.

3 out of 5 of the beam workers fell to their deaths in the first year. 3 out of 5!!!!! And they knew that when they were hired, but did it anyway, because it paid $4/day instead of the average $2/day that ground jobs paid. No harnesses, nets, ropes, nuthin', just your feet and sense of balance.

BTW, some of the best "skywalkers" in those days were crews of Canadian and American Indians, esp. the Mohawk, who had naturally good balance and were not bothered by the heights.

So Luke was an indian?

texaspokieokie
2/4/2011, 11:43 AM
don't call em injuns;native muricans.

texaspokieokie
2/4/2011, 11:47 AM

if they'd had OSHA in those days; all buildings would be only about 10' high.

i don't question your reporting, but i have a hard time with 60% fatalities.
that's worse than war.

SunnySooner
2/4/2011, 04:36 PM
IDK, okie, that was just what the Narrator dude said. It's "America: The Story of Us", they may replay it at some point, I really enjoyed all the episodes I caught. Some of it was cheesy, but mostly very well done, interesting, and brought out things I'd never learned or thought of before, like the aforementioned beam walkers.

They also had a name for new guys, something like 'snake' or something, can't remember, anyway, it was an allusion to the fact that the newbs were really dangerous to work with because they hadn't conquered their fears and their over-cautioness ended up getting other guys killed.

Leroy Lizard
2/4/2011, 06:29 PM
Didn't a couple of kids and a balloon pilot climb down one of those towers in NM when their balloon sailed into it?

AlbqSooner
2/4/2011, 08:51 PM
Didn't a couple of kids and a balloon pilot climb down one of those towers in NM when their balloon sailed into it?

That involved an amatuer radio tower. They were stuck at about 30 feet and had to climb down. The next year's Ballon Festival had a baloon get into a cross-country electric line. Since the lines on those are uninsulated and carry up to 750KV, those people did NOT climb down.

yankee
2/4/2011, 08:59 PM
Well that ain't quite as bad as stepping out into open space.

I'd jump out of a plane with a parachute 1000 times before doing what this guy does. You should probably watch the video...

texaspokieokie
2/5/2011, 09:31 AM
don't think i could do either.

Leroy Lizard
2/5/2011, 09:58 AM
That involved an amatuer radio tower. They were stuck at about 30 feet and had to climb down. The next year's Ballon Festival had a baloon get into a cross-country electric line. Since the lines on those are uninsulated and carry up to 750KV, those people did NOT climb down.

In the clip I saw they were much higher than 30 feet. Doing a little searching, I found that they collided with the KKOB radio tower, which is 700 feet high.

C&CDean
2/5/2011, 10:46 AM
So I watched the video. My first reaction is "these guys are stout!" Anybody who has ever done any climbing knows how physical it is. I know an elevator took him to 1600', but climbing several hundred more feet straight up ain't easy.

I get winded climbing a 50' zip tower. You don't see many fatass climbers.

fadada1
2/5/2011, 03:25 PM
only way i'd agree to that is with a chute on my back - one of them jobbies that opens real quick (ala HALO). i might consider about 4 percocets before i got off the elevator, just for good measure.