PDA

View Full Version : Just finished rewatching 2004 Sugar Bowl

Mike Stoops
2/3/2011, 02:42 AM
I've been snowed in here the past two days. Can't leave the house. Nothing to do but play on the computer and watch my DVDs. I'm sure this has been discussed ad nauseum on this site but I'm new here and bored so please have a heart. A few thoughts:

1. Offense: Jason White was awful. Just a statue in the pocket. A sitting duck for Muschamps' blitzers. The O-line didn't do him any favors either. So dominant during the regular season they just got stoned by the LSU front. That would become a recurring theme during Kevin Wilson's time here.

2. Defense: They played pretty well overall but missed some tackles in key moments. That would become a recurring theme during Brent Venables' time here. We didn't give up anything deep but we allowed that long drive for a TD after we blocked the punt and scored. Just killed our momentum.

3. Special Teams: That blocked punt was a thing of beauty. Remember when we used to make plays on special teams?

I still laugh every time I see Stoops correct Lynn Swann: "You mean the number one scoring defense in the country, they are! We're the number one total defense in the country!"

Cabin Fever sucks! Would welcome your thoughts.

SoonerNate
2/3/2011, 02:44 AM
All I can think of is that final drive and my forever hatred for Chuck Long.

yermom
2/3/2011, 02:46 AM
Kejuan :(

Mike Stoops
2/3/2011, 02:52 AM
Kejuan :(

I had a history class with Kejuan in 2005. Was a huge prick. The prof was always stopping his lectures to tell Kejuan to put away his cell phone.

yermom
2/3/2011, 02:55 AM
well, he basically willed us down the field to the redzone only to have us not score

he was coming right at me :(

SoonerNate
2/3/2011, 02:59 AM
We were running the ball down their throats. Their D was gassed! So what does Fhuck Long do? He starts calling passing plays.

[hairGel]

Mike Stoops
2/3/2011, 03:01 AM
I thought about reviewing the 2005 Orange Bowl but that would probably require a 6-pack of Heineken and a few Xanax to get through the viewing.

SoonerNate
2/3/2011, 03:03 AM
I thought about reviewing the 2005 Orange Bowl but that would probably require a 6-pack of Heineken and a few Xanax to get through the viewing.

I don't think I've ever watched the entire game to this date.

I've seen the 2000 game on my old VHS tape about 80 times though.

Everytime I hear that song from Leann Womack "I hope you dance" it reminds me of that night.

Mike Stoops
2/3/2011, 03:13 AM
Of the three NC games that we've lost under Stoops, the Sugar Bowl was the one we had the best chance of winning. LSU's QB Matt Mauck played worse than Jason White. 13/22 with two INT, one fumble and no touchdowns. We had opportunities but the offense just couldn't cash in.

starclassic tama
2/3/2011, 03:20 AM
i actually think the florida game was more winnable. 4th and goal from the one, brian simmons misses a block, turnover. bradford throws a great ball to manny johnson on the one yard line before halftime, all he has to do is catch it and turn around and he scores. but the ball bounces off his chest and florida picks it off. and then of course the other great ball bradford throws to iglesias in the second half and the florida DB just outmuscles him for the INT. our defense played well in the first half, but once our offense failed to get first downs in the second half, they got gassed and well, the rest is history.

sendbaht
2/3/2011, 07:57 AM
It's another 82f day here in Thailand, I'd rather be ourside then watch the 2004 Sugar Bowl. I've seen the game once that was enough for me.

madillsoonerfan5353
2/3/2011, 08:59 AM
i actually think the florida game was more winnable. 4th and goal from the one, brian simmons misses a block, turnover. bradford throws a great ball to manny johnson on the one yard line before halftime, all he has to do is catch it and turn around and he scores. but the ball bounces off his chest and florida picks it off. and then of course the other great ball bradford throws to iglesias in the second half and the florida DB just outmuscles him for the INT. our defense played well in the first half, but once our offense failed to get first downs in the second half, they got gassed and well, the rest is history.

THIS^^^^^ The 04 Sugar Bowl was winnable, Stoops should have 3 NC! O well He'll bring #8 home this year! BOOMER we started another string of wins against *saxet*. Welcome BACK BIG GAME BOB... Mark it down!!!! BOOMER!!!!

OUEngr1990
2/3/2011, 09:10 AM
Jason White was terrible because he wasn't 100%. Didn't he get his hand stepped on by a 300 lb gorrilla in the ccg? Sounds like an excuse, but injuries are part of it.

TUSooner
2/3/2011, 09:24 AM
I can't imagine re-watching any OU loss.

OUEngr1990
2/3/2011, 09:35 AM
I can't imagine re-watching any OU loss.
I prefer to watch the 2000 and 2003 games with texas over and over again.:D

Soonerfan88
2/3/2011, 09:55 AM
I'm not saying Chuck Long is the greatest play caller in football, but the amount of crap he takes for that last drive is completely out of line. Yes, Kejuan gashed that DL all the way down the field but another run was exactly what they were expecting. Chuck Long made a great call and Kejuan was wide open but Jason overthrew him.

An OC can never win with most fans - if the expected play doesn't work, they are too predictable and if the unpredictable play doesn't work, they are stupid for not running the same play for the 15th time in a row. I guess OU should just try to recruit perfect players so it always works, huh?

BoulderSooner79
2/3/2011, 11:15 AM
I'm not saying Chuck Long is the greatest play caller in football, but the amount of crap he takes for that last drive is completely out of line. Yes, Kejuan gashed that DL all the way down the field but another run was exactly what they were expecting. Chuck Long made a great call and Kejuan was wide open but Jason overthrew him.

^This! I suspect that was the one throw out of his entire career that Jason would love to have back. We had them set up perfectly for that play in that situation and Jason rushed it. If we score there, I bet real money we win because our D was dominating them more and more with each drive.

I also disagree the '08 game was more winnable; the gators outplayed us in the 2nd half and probably could have scored more points if they needed them. We outplayed LSU in the 2nd half and if only we had managed to get that tie... Oh, well, I think we get another shot in the next couple of years.

OKLA21FAN
2/3/2011, 11:17 AM
'That was a FUMBLE' :pop:

just sayin

jkjsooner
2/3/2011, 11:58 AM

An OC can never win with most fans - if the expected play doesn't work, they are too predictable and if the unpredictable play doesn't work, they are stupid for not running the same play for the 15th time in a row. I guess OU should just try to recruit perfect players so it always works, huh?

I agree with the general sentiment. However, LSU was so gassed that I don't think they could have stopped us had they known it was coming.

On the other hand, recent history has shown us not to be able to punch the ball in from within the five in these big games. I'm sure some of the same people who gripped about OU trying to run it up the gut against Florida bitched about passing against LSU...

jkjsooner
2/3/2011, 12:04 PM
It was hard to tell on TV but many posters here pointed out that our receivers did a poor job getting off the jams at the line. (Not sure about spelling. Did I just imply they couldn't remove their '80s era shorts?)

Anyway, all that said Jason's injury clearly affecting his passing. He looked terrible throwing the ball. I think if White had been 100% then we win that game by at least a couple of TD's. White missed so many passes that he never misses.

Soonermagik
2/3/2011, 12:56 PM
Chuck 3rd and Long lost the game.. plain and simple. He has proven he's a terrible coach. He got fired from San Diego freaking state. Oh... and by the way, San Diego State became an awesome team as soon as he left.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
2/3/2011, 01:07 PM
THIS^^^^^ The 04 Sugar Bowl was winnable, Stoops should have 3 NC! O well He'll bring #8 home this year! BOOMER we started another string of wins against *saxet*. Welcome BACK BIG GAME BOB... Mark it down!!!! BOOMER!!!!This is the CORRECT answer.

2/3/2011, 01:11 PM
I can't imagine re-watching any OU loss.I get PO'd every time that "Game of the century" is played. 3 or 4 clips on the Johnny Rodgers punt or kickoff return, as well as other bad calls against us...IN NORMAN!

TahoeSOONER
2/3/2011, 01:27 PM
'That was a FUMBLE' :pop:

just sayin

I was at the game and have always wondered if Addai fumbled on that hit by Strait. Addai didn't get up for a while so they never showed a replay at the game and I havent seen a replay of the game.

That was the hardest I've ever taken a loss and those coonasses didn't make me feel any better about it on the way out of the dome. I thought Chucks playcalling was money on that last drive but we just missed great opportunities.

Every so often you can feel the football gods smiling down on teams before the game even starts. It just felt like LSU was going to win no matter what that night, hate that feeling when it's not on OUr side.

sooneron
2/3/2011, 02:05 PM
I thought Chucks playcalling was money on that last drive but we just missed great opportunities.

No.
It's true that JW overthrew Jones and Clayton got a hand on the last drop, BUT as Barry said "3 things can happen when you throw the ball and 2 of them are bad". You greatly reduce the chance of bad things happening when you do what is simple instead of trying to be cute. We were running all over them and we could have gotten what? 7 yards in 4 plays on the ground.

MikeInNorman
2/3/2011, 02:18 PM
No.
It's true that JW overthrew Jones and Clayton got a hand on the last drop, BUT as Barry said "3 things can happen when you throw the ball and 2 of them are bad". You greatly reduce the chance of bad things happening when you do what is simple instead of trying to be cute. We were running all over them and we could have gotten what? 7 yards in 4 plays on the ground.

I'll bet you were saying that EXACT same thing when Kevin kept running the ball on 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th and goal against a vastly inferior A&M team this year. Probably sent him flowers to show appreciation for such excellence in reducing risk by being simple and not trying to be cute.:rolleyes:

BoulderSooner79
2/3/2011, 02:42 PM
I'll bet you were saying that EXACT same thing when Kevin kept running the ball on 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th and goal against a vastly inferior A&M team this year. Probably sent him flowers to show appreciation for such excellence in reducing risk by being simple and not trying to be cute.:rolleyes:

Not to mention getting stuffed on the goal line against the gators on multiple tries. Wouldn't want to risk Sam handling the ball or Gresh making a catch in that situation.

humblesooner
2/3/2011, 03:21 PM
For you old-timers, I watched the 1986 Orange Bowl a couple of months ago for the first time since 1986. I always remembered that game as one of the great games in OU Wishbone history. Funny how the mind plays tricks on you. I was shocked at how ugly that game was. All we did in those days was run the ball and we couldn't run at all that night. A couple of long plays late put the game away. Fortunately, our strength was Defense (as was PSU's) and we ended up with the best end of that deal that night.

Mike Stoops
2/3/2011, 03:41 PM
I know Chuck Long became the scapegoat for that game and many others but the truth is Jason White sucked against good defenses. He looked nervous and scared the whole game and that rubbed off on the entire offense. Ditto the 05 Orange Bowl. He didn't have the ability to rally the troops and inspire his teammates to be better like Heupel did.

2/3/2011, 04:00 PM
I know Chuck Long became the scapegoat for that game and many others but the truth is Jason White sucked against good defenses. He looked nervous and scared the whole game and that rubbed off on the entire offense. Ditto the 05 Orange Bowl. He didn't have the ability to rally the troops and inspire his teammates to be better like Heupel did.Jason's hand was still effed-up from that injury in the K-State game. Consequently, he wasn't as sharp as earlier in the season. We still coulda won that Sugar Bowl. The point about Chuck Long was that our running game HAD NOT BEEN STOPPED on the last drive. We should have continued to run, even though it was expected, until they began to stop us. Especially since Jason's hand was injured.

Lawton4Life
2/3/2011, 04:03 PM
Except for the most important part, which is the catch..the playcall was perfect. Its not like KJ was quintuple covered...he was wide open. Since he was open, doesnt the blame fall to the executers and not the play caller?

BoulderSooner79
2/3/2011, 04:05 PM
Jason's hand was still effed-up from that injury in the K-State game. Consequently, he wasn't as sharp as earlier in the season. We still coulda won that Sugar Bowl. The point about Chuck Long was that our running game HAD NOT BEEN STOPPED on the last drive. We should have continued to run, even though it was expected, until they began to stop us. Especially since Jason's hand was injured.

You can only speculate what would have happened. We might of been stuffed too or KJ might have fumbled - we'll never know. We do know a play was called that left a man wide open in the endzone and it should have tied the game, but it wasn't executed. I can't fault Long for that.

2/3/2011, 04:10 PM
You can only speculate what would have happened. We might of been stuffed too or KJ might have fumbled - we'll never know. We do know a play was called that left a man wide open in the endzone and it should have tied the game, but it wasn't executed. I can't fault Long for that.We ran 4 plays, right? How many were passes? I don't remember the exact details, but let me reiterate.
1)Jason's passing was off all night. Primarily, I think, because of his hand being injured.
2) We HAD NOT BEEN STOPPED in our running game during the entire last series on offense.
3) Whadda you want, Chuck Long back, or are you okay, at least for now, with Josh Heupel?

Mike Stoops
2/3/2011, 04:15 PM
Jason's hand may have been injured but somehow his feet turned into concrete that night as well.

MikeInNorman
2/3/2011, 04:33 PM
We ran 4 plays, right? How many were passes? I don't remember the exact details, but let me reiterate.
1)Jason's passing was off all night. Primarily, I think, because of his hand being injured.
2) We HAD NOT BEEN STOPPED in our running game during the entire last series on offense.
3) Whadda you want, Chuck Long back, or are you okay, at least for now, with Josh Heupel?

I'm great with Josh Heupel! He is hopefully savoring the traditional OU honeymoon that comes between calling last year's offense in a bowl game and having our resident geniuses being able to somehow find "wrinkles" and "creativity", and "unpredictability" there, and actually calling games for an offense that he is fully responsible for.

I pity Josh having to call plays for this crowd.

Mike Stoops
2/3/2011, 04:43 PM
I have a good feeling about Josh as OC. He's so gifted at mentoring QBs if that translates to playcalling he'll be great. However I realize that being the OU OC is a rather thankless position. They're always the scapegoat even though the truth is offense has carried this team the past few years because Venables is so mediocre at his job. But that's another subject.

BoulderSooner79
2/3/2011, 04:46 PM
We ran 4 plays, right? How many were passes? I don't remember the exact details, but let me reiterate.

Just stating facts without moral judgement:
1) we dialed up a play that should have worked, but didn't execute.
2) other plays might have worked but there is no way to know unless you have a space/time redo machine. You're free masterb..., er, speculate as you wish.
3) I'm thrilled about Josh getting the opportunity at OC, but I don't see the connection.

2/3/2011, 04:52 PM
Jason's hand may have been injured but somehow his feet turned into concrete that night as well.Give it up. He lost mobility after his knees turned achey-breakey.

2/3/2011, 04:58 PM
Just stating facts without moral judgement:
1) we dialed up a play that should have worked, but didn't execute.
2) other plays might have worked but there is no way to know unless you have a space/time redo machine. You're free masterb..., er, speculate as you wish.
Did you knotice that you didn't answer the question I posed in my post... Are you secretly or latently orange aggy or whorn?

Mike Stoops
2/3/2011, 05:00 PM
He was horrible in the Orange Bowl the next year and he wasn't injured but I'm sure that was Chuck Long's fault too.

2/3/2011, 05:08 PM
He was horrible in the Orange Bowl the next year and he wasn't injured but I'm sure that was Chuck Long's fault too.You blaming TGWWDND on Jason White?

Mike Stoops
2/3/2011, 05:23 PM
Was he not awful in that game?

nativesooner
2/3/2011, 05:36 PM
How long before we see a "Well if ol' Stoops woulda put Paul Tompsin in!" :D You guys realize that if Kejuan would have scored we would have only tied the game right? Not won? Unless.... we went for TWO... But no coach is crazy enough to do that in a BCS game! ;) I just wish we didn't have to play LSU in Newawlin's... Maybe we can have a rematch and a win this year though?

2/3/2011, 07:49 PM
Was he not awful in that game?The whole team played their worst that night, IMHO.

oudavid1
2/3/2011, 07:52 PM
I watched the Florida game, but i really dont remember much. The January 4th Massacre(OU-USC) i dont really remember either.

I dont want to watch old losses, but the Mizzou and A&M games i really dont mind. Now that the season is over though, i just want to talk recruiting and the future.

LostCreekSooner
2/3/2011, 08:05 PM
I lived in SEC land at the time and watched LSU play multiple times. They had 3 lock-down corners, and blitzed / crashed the LOS with everyone else the entire year.

We had a wide-open offense that was capable of attacking them and making them pay big-time for being aggressive. Unfortunately, we decided to keep the tight-end in to block, and send 3 receivers... which were always covered very well. The ONLY play I remember us sending a fourth was the running back up the middle... just to watch Kejuan be overthrown on what would have killed them.

IMO, the worst game-plan I have ever seen. It still makes me sick to my stomach. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

OUEngr1990
2/3/2011, 09:04 PM
He was horrible in the Orange Bowl the next year and he wasn't injured but I'm sure that was Chuck Long's fault too.

Pretty much everyone played horrible in that game. When its one or two players playing bad, that is one thing. When everyone plays bad, it points back to coaching/lack of preparation. Besides that, I thought we decided that the orange bowl was a game that was never played, because there was an ineligible player on the field. :D

soonergirlNeugene
2/3/2011, 09:44 PM
Pretty much everyone played horrible in that game. When its one or two players playing bad, that is one thing. When everyone plays bad, it points back to coaching/lack of preparation. Besides that, I thought we decided that the orange bowl was a game that was never played, because there was an ineligible player on the field. :D

In that case, whom do I write to get my money back for that godawful trip?

JLEW1818
2/3/2011, 09:51 PM
the 2003 Sooners were the best Stoops team, at their "best"

solid defense. 2008 lacked that

MI Sooner
2/3/2011, 09:53 PM

I tend to agree, but what was weird about that game and the KSU game in 2003 was that we came out and jumped on them, THEN **** the bed. So we weren't unprepared emotionally (i.e., we weren't flat), just from a game plan perspective.

Also, while we had a good chance to win that LSU game, I don't recall it being a really close fought game. I thought we were outplayed the entire game by a substantial margin, but managed to hang in there. If I were an LSU fan, I would have been going ape **** if a team we outgained 4:1 (if I recall, maybe worse?) had the ball with a chance to win on the final drive.

Mike Stoops
2/3/2011, 10:00 PM
I've often wondered how much of an impact Mike Stoops leaving f****d up that season. I'm not a big excuse guy. Every team has to deal with injuries/coaches leaving, etc. At the end of the day the players gotta go out and execute and for whatever reason we just didn't get the job done.

JLEW1818
2/3/2011, 10:05 PM
I've seen it go both ways. It didn't hurt LSU in 2007-08

or Florida in 2008-09 against us

OUEngr1990
2/3/2011, 10:55 PM
I've often wondered how much of an impact Mike Stoops leaving f****d up that season. I'm not a big excuse guy. Every team has to deal with injuries/coaches leaving, etc. At the end of the day the players gotta go out and execute and for whatever reason we just didn't get the job done.

Something tells me Stoopsie lite a fire under the butts before every game. That's what always motivates me. No warm undies, no motivation...

OUEngr1990
2/3/2011, 10:58 PM
In that case, whom do I write to get my money back for that godawful trip?

I'm thinking that's the chance you take when you sign up. There are no guarantees in college football or any other sport for that matter. :D

Mike Stoops
2/3/2011, 11:40 PM
Something tells me Stoopsie lite a fire under the butts before every game. That's what always motivates me. No warm undies, no motivation...

I think Venables is a smart DC but he doesn't have that ability like a Mike Stoops or a Will Muschamp to make players want to run through brick walls. God I miss Mike. He would talk trash to opposing players, coaches, fans etc. The good ole days. :)

SoonerStormchaser
2/3/2011, 11:48 PM

a56qCL8tM7U

BoulderSooner79
2/3/2011, 11:53 PM
Did you knotice that you didn't answer the question I posed in my post... Are you secretly or latently orange aggy or whorn?

Now you drop to name calling - aren't you sweet. I didn't say your preferred play sequence wouldn't work. I just said you no way to test that theory. I do claim we should have scored with the plays that were called, but failed to.

Mike Stoops
2/3/2011, 11:57 PM

This. Even though 2003 didn't well, man what a ride. Blowing out Texas, A&M, OSU the way we did was incredible. There's no better feeling than humiliating your enemies! :D

Mike Stoops
2/3/2011, 11:59 PM
the 2003 Sooners were the best Stoops team, at their "best"

solid defense. 2008 lacked that

You are correct. Well said.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
2/4/2011, 12:23 AM

I agree. I think we had Florida on the ropes in the first half. In addition to all you say above we got in the red zone and forgot we had the best TE in the country as well.

I think we had a chance to rally and steal the 2004 Sugar Bowl game in OT.

I think we had a chance to be up 17 on Florida at the half and might have run away with the game.

colleyvillesooner
2/4/2011, 01:30 AM
How long before we see a "Well if ol' Stoops woulda put Paul Tompsin in!" :D You guys realize that if Kejuan would have scored we would have only tied the game right? Not won? Unless.... we went for TWO... But no coach is crazy enough to do that in a BCS game! ;) I just wish we didn't have to play LSU in Newawlin's... Maybe we can have a rematch and a win this year though?

Pretty sure Stoops said on the Caravan the next year he was planning to go for two and end it, with the game being in NO.