PDA

View Full Version : Mack Brown on player leadership:

itsok
2/2/2011, 11:00 PM
"On players' leadership: It's something we talked about [Monday]... The fact that we had some leadership issues last year goes back to me. I didn't do a good enough job of explaining to those that could lead that they needed to lead."

Read more: http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/01/31/2811946/brown-blames-arrogance-for-texas.html##ixzz1Crg89MUk

How are you supposed to tell players they need to lead? Leaders take on that role and go with it...to me, its a natural progression, not something the head coach does...

SoonerRoy
2/3/2011, 12:20 AM
Is Mack admitting that at least part of the problems last year were HIS fault? (Instead of all those coaches that got fired?)

picasso
2/3/2011, 12:50 AM
One leads by clapping. Mack's a wonderful leader.

Leroy Lizard
2/3/2011, 01:25 AM
Is Mack admitting that at least part of the problems last year were HIS fault? (Instead of all those coaches that got fired?)

Mack is actually quite fond of accepting blame for the team's problems, just as he is quite fond of throwing his assistants and players under the bus whenever the fans demand it. Ultimately, what any coach says is just a bunch of words and rarely mean much of anything.

OUster
2/3/2011, 02:03 AM
Mack's problem may be that he thinks leadership will happen if he simply has a good sit down and talks about it. He just doesn't get it, does he?

SoonerNate
2/3/2011, 02:17 AM
"On players' leadership: It's something we talked about [Monday]... The fact that we had some leadership issues last year goes back to me. I didn't do a good enough job of explaining to those that could lead that they needed to lead."

Read more: http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/01/31/2811946/brown-blames-arrogance-for-texas.html##ixzz1Crg89MUk

How are you supposed to tell players they need to lead? Leaders take on that role and go with it...to me, its a natural progression, not something the head coach does...

In order to read a yeller tooth quote I must picture it in that annoying Jiminy Cricket voice.

Wayne Jarvis
2/3/2011, 09:54 AM
Leadership starts at the top. Everyone on a team or in an organization takes their cue from the head guy. That's just how it goes. And the truth is Mack's a little soft.

agoo758
2/3/2011, 12:33 PM
"Toward that end, Brown said he plans to stress competitive, team-building exercises during the off-season."

Does that mean his players are going to start lifting weights? :pop:

BoomerJack
2/3/2011, 12:48 PM
"Toward that end, Brown said he plans to stress competitive, team-building exercises during the off-season."

Does that mean his players are going to start lifting weights? :pop:

Perhaps full contact film watching.

Soonerfan88
2/3/2011, 01:56 PM
I think he's going to bring in one of those gurus who make folks fall backward and trust the others to catch them.

OUmillenium
2/3/2011, 05:19 PM
He is going to start clapping in practice, not just on gamedays.

badger
2/3/2011, 05:24 PM
Translation: Mack held a clapping session to teach his "team leaders" how to clap with force, with feeling and with purpose.

"You can clap, or you can clap with leadership," Brown probably did not say, but we'll pretend that he did. "This is Texas football, a program where you must not just raise your index and pinky, but must raise all five fingers -- not in honor of our five wins, mind you -- you must raise all five fingers on both hands --- not because we lost to both OU and OSU, mind you -- but all five fingers on both hands and forcefully clap your leadership mindset onto others."

When Mack was not asked why he planned to force his leadership onto others, Mack did not reply "Look, buddy, we just went from national title game to seven losses. I'm out of ideas but fortunately, I'm not out of Shipleys and McCoys. And thank gawd I'm not out of clapping."

Sooner70
2/5/2011, 08:47 AM
It sounds like Mack is confirming what he, Texas fans, his staff, and his players have long denied, but is evident to most everybody else. The Longhorns heretofore have been a smug, self-satisfied, and full of themselves entitled attitude. When they get out recruited or defeated, it's usually another reason than they just performed poorly. Why? Because surely if you're Texas--the money makingest, largest, and supposedly top team in America at selling colege sports gear, it's got to be another reason.

Welcome to the real world. I don't care how many TV networks, bank accounts, or T shirts they sell, they're still in a competitive environment. Sounds like Mack is finally manning up to the fact.

IronHorseSooner
2/5/2011, 11:41 AM
Shouldn't it be illegal, or t least stupid, to put the words "Mack Brown" and "leadership" in the same sentence?

85sooners
2/5/2011, 12:44 PM
:mack:

MyT Oklahoma
2/5/2011, 03:36 PM
Anybody else glad that Mack is at * and Bob is at OU? :D

GKeeper316
2/5/2011, 03:40 PM
Perhaps full contact film watching.

that stuff generally gets you thrown out of theaters if not arrested.

oubose
2/6/2011, 12:51 PM
there was alot of trust between shipley and mccoy, for gods sake they roomed together, who knows what kind of broke back stuff went on