PDA

View Full Version : Jimbo Fisher is just killing it in recruiting

Mike Stoops
2/2/2011, 08:17 PM
Dayum. That game is gonna be a nail biter for sure.

sperry
2/2/2011, 08:26 PM
Since 2002, FSU has never finished outside of the top 25 in recruit rankings, and has finished outside the top 10 only twice in that period. Yet they have still been mediocre every season.

This coming season will be no different. If Landry has a decent game, we will win. Our defense is not going to have a hard time stopping E.J. Manuel.

yankee
2/2/2011, 08:27 PM
If this game was in 2014 instead of 2011, I'd be much, much more worried. I'm already worried as it is, but we're talking about a lot of inexperience. Sure looks nice on paper though.

SoonerNate
2/2/2011, 08:29 PM
If this game was in 2014 instead of 2011, I'd be much, much more worried. I'm already worried as it is, but we're talking about a lot of inexperience. Sure looks nice on paper though.

This. Thank God we get them at Doak this year and not say in 2 years.

Mike Stoops
2/2/2011, 08:32 PM
Think of how good they would be right now if they had gotten rid of the old man sooner. Don't be too overconfident. They return almost their entire defense and their DC is a Stoops. It'll be a dogfight.

silverwheels
2/2/2011, 08:33 PM
That defense was pretty mediocre for most of last year.

Mike Stoops
2/2/2011, 08:36 PM
They led the nation in sacks most of last year. That's pretty good for a 1st year in a new system.

silverwheels
2/2/2011, 08:40 PM
But they were 40th in total defense, although they probably will improve this year and will most likely not play as poorly in Tallahassee as they did in Norman.

SoonerMom2
2/2/2011, 08:54 PM
Mike Stoops -- you wouldn't be a FSU supporter would you? You sound just like a good friend of mine who is a FSU grad although he said FSU has a long way to go to be at OU's level.

Soonermagik
2/2/2011, 08:59 PM
FSU is likely 2 years away from a legit national title. Plus, they must keep Mike Stoops and the rest of the staff together for that to happen. This years young talent is going to take time to develop.

sperry
2/2/2011, 09:03 PM
As I pointed out earlier, they have been signing tons of talent every year for the past 10. It hasn't amounted to anything different than it did last year, plus they'r replacing a 4 year starter at QB. Expect another mediocre season out of them.

landrun
2/2/2011, 09:05 PM
Not so.
OU, tOSU, Florida and Auburn all won NCs in their coach's second year.
FSU is very talented and will be much, much better in Tallahassee.

Mike Stoops
2/2/2011, 09:09 PM
Mike Stoops -- you wouldn't be a FSU supporter would you? You sound just like a good friend of mine who is a FSU grad although he said FSU has a long way to go to be at OU's level.

All I said is JF has done a great job recruiting (which he has) and the game @Tallahassee won't be a cakewalk (guaranteed.) Why don't we all just take a deep breath now or if you feel inclined please visit my thread about fanbases we hate and make a contribution. :)

fadada1
2/2/2011, 09:14 PM
fsu wouldn't appear to be that good if they played somewhere other than the ACC. the only thing worse than ACC football is big east football and malaria.

JLEW1818
2/2/2011, 09:53 PM
OU @ FSU

OU-4

source? JLEW1818 with a lil OUdavid on the side..... :D

Sooner_Tuf
2/3/2011, 01:18 AM
Think of how good they would be right now if they had gotten rid of the old man sooner. Don't be too overconfident. They return almost their entire defense and their DC is a Stoops. It'll be a dogfight.

I gotta agree with you. I hope OU wins, but I don't expect them to. This game will be no gimmee.

Soonerite
2/3/2011, 01:37 AM
How could you not want to play for a dude named Jimbo??

SoonerNate
2/3/2011, 02:26 AM

And their DE's coach is DJ Elliot. I went to HS with him up there in Edmond.

As far as their recruiting, they HAVE to be cheating.

madillsoonerfan5353
2/3/2011, 09:12 AM

Yeah *saxet* has a top 3 class every year. Where did they finish last year, LAST in the Big 12? Just because you pull in a great class doesn't mean squat. They still have to play the game.

:gary:

agoo758
2/3/2011, 12:38 PM
The school I attend finished number one in 1-AA recruiting the last two years, and have won a whopping 4 games in those seasons, one of them being a 3 point win over a Div. 2 school. Class rankings mean little if you can't develop.

C&CDean
2/3/2011, 01:52 PM
Losing Ponder is going to be very hard to overcome. They'll have talent, but will their QB be able to hack it?

KantoSooner
2/3/2011, 02:01 PM
That's about the size of it. What's his name? E J Manuel? He seemed to be effective when he played this past season. Anyone watch a lot of FSU ball have an opinion?

soonerfromgeorgia
2/3/2011, 04:00 PM
I live 35-40 miles from FSU and they'll be much improved this coming season IMO. They only lost one game (North Carolina 37-35) at home this past season and they missed two 40 yard FG's. I'd pick the Noles just because they are at home.

As far as their recruiting goes it has always cycled in 3 or 4 year groups between the Noles, Gators and Canes. FSU seems to get them all for a while, then Miami does and then it is Florida's turn. It is now FSU's turn again.

Now you can mix in 3 other Florida schools that are pulling in some pretty good talent now that scholarships are limited, might explain why they won bowl games (South Fla, Central Fla, Fla. International)

OU-HSV
2/3/2011, 04:02 PM
From games I saw and highlights of FSU the last few seasons I never thought Ponder was all that great honestly. He was serviceable, but he's certainly replaceable IMO. I never understood the hype he got.
And from looking at his stats on ESPN from this past season, he had only three games over 200 yds with no ints in those games and two or more tds in those games. Other than that his stats are kinda all over the place (including his comp. % which ranged from 39.3% vs. us to 70.6% vs. UNC). I will say from looking at his stats last season he limited his ints to 8. He had 7 the previous year and 13 in '08.

As far as EJ Manuel, I don't know too much about him. It seems he looked okay against us when he came in, but I'm not sure I saw him play anymore than just against us.

madillsoonerfan5353
2/3/2011, 05:21 PM
I live 35-40 miles from FSU and they'll be much improved this coming season IMO. They only lost one game (North Carolina 37-35) at home this past season and they missed two 40 yard FG's. I'd pick the Noles just because they are at home.

I thought we beat them in week 2? 47-17 does that ring a bell. yOU can have the best talent in the world, but if they don't produce on the field then who cares? I think the D will be much improved, but to say E.J. Manuel will come in without a curve is ridiculous. See Garret Gilbert. I expect a fight for maybe a quarter or two, and then I expect the leadership to pull us thought a tuff fought victory. JMHO!

madillsoonerfan5353
2/3/2011, 05:23 PM
As far as EJ Manuel, I don't know too much about him. It seems he looked okay against us when he came in, but I'm not sure I saw him play anymore than just against us.

Plus 1! He looked ok against us. We get them early so we should be able to take care of him.

mightysooner
2/3/2011, 06:31 PM
Of course he's cleaning up in recruiting. Florida's coach resigned and Miami's coach got fired. Too much uncertainty whereas FSU seems to have steadied the ship a little. If I'm a recruit in Florida, I go to FSU as well (if I didn't get a scholly offer from OU of course)

cvsooner
2/3/2011, 06:37 PM
I thought we beat them in week 2? 47-17 does that ring a bell. yOU can have the best talent in the world, but if they don't produce on the field then who cares? I think the D will be much improved, but to say E.J. Manuel will come in without a curve is ridiculous. See Garret Gilbert. I expect a fight for maybe a quarter or two, and then I expect the leadership to pull us thought a tuff fought victory. JMHO!

They only lost one game (North Carolina 37-35) at home this past season and they missed two 40 yard FG's.

I think this was his point....not that they didn't lose to us.

Rocko
2/3/2011, 06:46 PM
EJ Manuel is going to surprise. He has a passer rating of 153 on the year, completing 70% of his throws. He isn't green, just take a look at the experience he got the past two seasons while replacing an injured Ponder.

He also lead his team to a bowl victory over SC, who fielded a very good team this past season.

The one thing I'm seeing on the stat line are some interceptions in the two games he threw for over 200 yards. Our defense is capable of bringing enough pressure and creating confusion to force some bad throws.

But his guy has a chance to be a game changer in this match up, don't write him off.

soonerfromgeorgia
2/3/2011, 07:49 PM
The only problem with EJ Manuel is he has had a problem with the playbook, it is rumored around these parts that he has only been able to grasp about a 3rd of it.

gosooner2
2/3/2011, 07:58 PM

Read the post then comment!!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
2/3/2011, 07:58 PM
The only problem with EJ Manuel is he has had a problem with the playbook, it is rumored around these parts that he has only been able to grasp about a 3rd of it.What if the Criminoles only run plays from that third of the playbook that he understands?

OU_Sooners75
2/3/2011, 08:24 PM
Not so.
OU, tOSU, Florida and Auburn all won NCs in their coach's second year.
FSU is very talented and will be much, much better in Tallahassee.

tOSU, established QB.
OU, established QB.
Florida, established QB.
Auburn, well, not so much, but Cam Newton fit perfectly into that system.

FSU, they must replace Ponder, even though I think Manuel will be better later in his career.

They also have to replace 2 or 3 OLinemen on their offense.

On defense, they will be breaking in new SLB and MLB, along with a FS and DE. Those four positions, the teams you mentioned did not have to replace heading into their championship seasons. Those are some very key positions on the defense to be replacing.

They do return a lot, but they will likely be filling their 2 deep in with a bunch of redshirts and true freshmen next season.

But I do agree with you, FSU will be much tougher in Tallahassee than they were in Norman. They will be wanting revenge.

OU_Sooners75
2/3/2011, 08:26 PM

No real surprise coming from you.

Since your arrived at SF.com, you have had nothing but negativity to add to this board when talking about the Sooners.

Shue fool, shue!

OU_Sooners75
2/3/2011, 08:31 PM
The only problem with EJ Manuel is he has had a problem with the playbook, it is rumored around these parts that he has only been able to grasp about a 3rd of it.

70sooner
2/3/2011, 08:55 PM

I am absolutely amazed you have not yet been toasted and roasted by the all knowing posse.....

JLEW1818
2/3/2011, 09:55 PM
FSU beat South Carolina without Ponder

Okie35
2/4/2011, 02:59 PM
FSU beat South Carolina without Ponder

They really beat South Carolina w/ Chris Thompson and the run game, also Lattimore got knocked out the game after the 2nd series. Manuel was efficient.