PDA

View Full Version : Stoops Quote on Thompson

CarolinaSoonerFan
2/2/2011, 07:10 PM
http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/archive/2011_signing_day.html

"...you look at him athletically, he brings another dimension to be able to escape some things and get you out of trouble sometimes with his legs. He gives you the opportunity also to have six, seven plays a game where the quarterback is designed to take off with it."

Do you think that Bob will add some running plays to the playbook for the QB for Mr. Thompson or for Mr. Bell whenever it is their turn to run the team?

I know this is still a couple of years off, but we really haven't seen him unleash a QB in the run game yet have we.

rainiersooner
2/2/2011, 07:18 PM
traditionally he seems to shy away from it because he doesn't want to get them hurt. it would be interesting to design some plays around a qb who can do that though.

sperry
2/2/2011, 07:25 PM
Bomar ran a lot, although part of that was because the line was incapable of blocking. Thompson hardly ran at all.

Our system has done just fine with Statues in the pocket, and I certainly wouldn't want to sacrifice accuracy for some mobility. However, a Colt McCoy type QB who can run and throw would certainly be welcome. Regardless, neither of those guys will be a starting QB until at least 2013, and that's if they beat out Drew Allen, so we are getting a bit ahead of ourselves.

85sooners
2/2/2011, 07:25 PM
:pop: Let's bootleg it bob!!

Scott D
2/2/2011, 07:30 PM
I'd be surprised if he ever let another QB use the run as a potential first option ever again.

C&CDean
2/2/2011, 07:33 PM
I'd be surprised if he ever let another QB use the run as a potential first option ever again.

Well, yeah. It ain't 1974 again.

Scott D
2/2/2011, 07:35 PM
Well, yeah. It ain't 1974 again.

actually I was thinking about how 2001 and 2002 made him a little gunshy in that regard.

CarolinaSoonerFan
2/2/2011, 08:03 PM
Your right Jason getting banged up did make him a bit gun shy. That's why the quote caught me by surprise. I mean he actually suggested that they might use him in this capacity in the future.... sure its the future but at least the possibility is in the back of Bob's mind.

OUthunder
2/2/2011, 08:10 PM

Jason White would have appreciated this a few years ago.

silverwheels
2/2/2011, 08:22 PM
Both of White's knee injuries were non-contact, though. He got more banged up by the other team in the pocket.

cccasooner2
2/2/2011, 08:26 PM
Jason White getting banged up? Sounds like revisionist history.

oubose
2/2/2011, 09:05 PM
We could use a running QB but let's don't count on one, just have legs to get him out of the pocket

Seamus
2/2/2011, 09:53 PM
Jason White getting banged up? Sounds like revisionist history.

See: "Big XII title game, Kansas State, defensive plan" for specifics

JLEW1818
2/2/2011, 09:56 PM
Jason White's Legs vs 2001 horns

Eielson
2/2/2011, 10:13 PM
Thompson is too good of an athlete to not run the ball.

JLEW1818
2/2/2011, 10:16 PM
could be at the wrong school.

Jones is they guy for 2011, 2012

Drew?
Bell?
Thompson?

picasso
2/2/2011, 11:20 PM
actually I was thinking about how 2001 and 2002 made him a little gunshy in that regard.

Those were passing plays that White got hurt on.

Leroy Lizard
2/3/2011, 01:22 AM

True also of Charles Thompson and Troy Aikman. Moral: Never pass the ball.

Salt City Sooner
2/3/2011, 02:17 AM

It was a speed option right vs. 'bama. Still, if that's what's got Stoops gunshy, I think his apprehension is a little mis-placed because like 'wheels said, he wasn't touched. I can't think of a bigger pair of flukes to happen to the same guy in recent history, personally.

adoniijahsooner
2/3/2011, 06:59 AM
So Stoops says this

"...you look at him athletically, he brings another dimension to be able to escape some things and get you out of trouble sometimes with his legs. He gives you the opportunity also to have six, seven plays a game where the quarterback is designed to take off with it."

Interesting that his last 3 qb signees were all running qb's. Then add in the fact that Newton, Tebow, Vince Young, Matt Flynn, and even Heupal to some extent ran the rock(National Champions), and it makes me think Stoops is headed that way. Kevin Wilson said he was actually hired to implement the qb run game, but then JW got hurt so they did away with it.

TUSooner
2/3/2011, 09:31 AM
Both of White's knee injuries were non-contact, though. He got more banged up by the other team in the pocket.

Jason White could have blown his knees out walking to the stadium (well, if he was in a hurry). It seems unfair to blame a "run game" for those injuries.

picasso
2/3/2011, 09:42 AM
It was a speed option right vs. 'bama. Still, if that's what's got Stoops gunshy, I think his apprehension is a little mis-placed because like 'wheels said, he wasn't touched. I can't think of a bigger pair of flukes to happen to the same guy in recent history, personally.

Was it? I was at that game and didn't recall. I know he was scrambling when he got hurt at Nebbish and it seemed like we scaled back his running in '02.

stoopified
2/3/2011, 10:57 AM
Jason White would have appreciated this a few years ago.

I vividly recall Jason White being chided by Stoops because of his running the ball.I think Bob is not looking for a run/pass QB but a guy who can pick up yards on broken plays and run a couple of designed runs a game.When you get into Colt and Tebow run numbers you get beat on so much it limits your effectivenessas a passer.Another could example of that is Zac Robinson in his senior year,way too much punishment.

Odd as this may sound I say look to Heupel in 2000 as an example of whaT sTOOPS IS LOOKING FOR.BEFORE YOU LAUGH BO BACK AND LOOK AT THE GAME TAPE.JOSH MADE SEVERAL KEY PLAYS THAT SEASON WITH HIS LEGS.

jkjsooner
2/3/2011, 11:50 AM

Also, it seemed to me that White's indecision played a large role in getting hurt. He really seemed unsure (at least in the Bama play) and this lead to him planting awkwardly.

TMcGee86
2/3/2011, 11:56 AM
I re-watched the highlights from the 2000 season last week and I was floored by how much Josh ran. It was a huge part of the game plan and it's something I think we've been missing the last few years. Granted, we've been so good in the passing game we haven't needed it, but it would have come in pretty handy against Neb when we couldn't move the ball at all two years ago, or Mizzou last year when the weather was terrible, or A&M last year when their ends were pinning their ears back on every play.

Scott D
2/3/2011, 12:50 PM

they were both broken plays where White used his legs to make something happen, both were non contact injuries, and with the Alabama injury, the reins were pulled up on all future quarterbacks in terms of running, despite how we were told how some of them were very adept at running with the football.

Salt City Sooner
2/3/2011, 03:19 PM
Was it? I was at that game and didn't recall. I know he was scrambling when he got hurt at Nebbish and it seemed like we scaled back his running in '02.
It's at 4:48 of the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDG3f_NK3J4