PDA

View Full Version : Apple + Rupert Murdock ????

soonercruiser
2/2/2011, 06:38 PM
THE DAILY on your iPad???

Introducing The Daily – the first digital news publication with original content created every day exclusively for the iPad. Built from scratch by a team of top journalists and designers, The Daily covers the world: breaking news, sports, pop culture, entertainment, apps, games, technology, opinion, celebrity gossip and more.

The Daily has the depth and quality of a magazine but is delivered daily like a newspaper and updated in real-time like the web.

Great stories, photos, video, audio and graphics come alive the more you touch, swipe, tap and explore. The customized sports section allows you to follow your favorite teams’ scores, pictures, headlines – and even players’ tweets.

The Daily includes:

• Over 100 pages of original content every single day of the year
• Original HD videos
• 360-degree photos you can explore by swiping
• Immersive photography
• Interactive charts, info-graphics and clickable hot spots
• Saving articles to read later
• Sharing Web-friendly versions of articles via Twitter, Facebook and e-mail
• Your favorite sports teams’ scores, news and photos
• In-app commenting — including audio comments
• Your local weather
• New crossword and sudoku puzzles every day
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-daily/id411516732?mt=8#

http://www.slate.com/id/2283610/

AlboSooner
2/2/2011, 06:40 PM
Sounds exciting. I had an ipad for a few days then returned it and got a Kindle 3. Best decision evar.

2121Sooner
2/2/2011, 06:46 PM
Sounds exciting. I had an ipad for a few days then returned it and got a Kindle 3. Best decision evar.

THAT is your best decision ever?

delhalew
2/2/2011, 06:57 PM
I would love to check it out, but nothing can make me buy an IPad that I don't need. It blows my ****ing mind how many people will buy a stupid piece of tech because Apple made it. Who needs a piece of tech in between a laptop and a kindle?

SicEmBaylor
2/2/2011, 07:00 PM
I would love to check it out, but nothing can make me buy an IPad that I don't need. It blows my ****ing mind how many people will buy a stupid piece of tech because Apple made it. Who needs a piece of tech in between a laptop and a kindle?

I love my iPad. It replaced my netbook. For the life of me, I can't exactly figure out why someone would buy a Kindle since it's pretty much a 1-trick pony. E-ink is easier on the eyes but aside from that...

Hell, I even use my iPad more than I do my desktop these days.

StoopTroup
2/2/2011, 07:12 PM
When I think of Rupert Murdock....I don't think "Excitement".

AlboSooner
2/2/2011, 07:32 PM
THAT is your best decision ever?
lol. good point.

I got the Kindle because I like to read a lot. Having an iPhone and a computer, I didn't need an iPad. The iPad would have been the fourth Touch Apple device for me. I had the first iPod touch, then the iPhone 3 g, and iPhone 4. I had no need for a larger, heaver, exponentially more expensive (the cheapest iPad is $540) iPod touch.

The internet browsing was fantastic on the iPad, but at $540, that's a lot of money to pay just to browse the internet.

Who needs a piece of tech in between a laptop and a kindle?

We bought the ipad with the idea to do work. Like take notes, write documents, powerpoints and so on. We found it that to convert the iPad from a toy, to something useful you need a keyboard ($70), some USB adapters ($30), camera adapters ($30), and this makes a 16gb WiFi iPad SUPER EXPENSSIVE just to do the work which a netbook or laptop can do for $400.

soonercruiser
2/2/2011, 09:24 PM
When I think of Rupert Murdock....I don't think "Excitement".

I think you're a guy; aren't you?
You aren't supopsed to get aroused.....unless he's covered in barbeque sauce! Then lick away!
:rolleyes:

StoopTroup
2/2/2011, 09:27 PM
Yuck....that's like a Dick Cheney with Honey Mustard Sauce.

delhalew
2/2/2011, 09:50 PM
I love my iPad. It replaced my netbook. For the life of me, I can't exactly figure out why someone would buy a Kindle since it's pretty much a 1-trick pony. E-ink is easier on the eyes but aside from that...

Hell, I even use my iPad more than I do my desktop these days.

OK...nope...still don't get it. A netbook is another thing I have no use for. My laptop is AWESOME. It does everything I could want it to. It ain't that ****ing big! It is not some oppressive thing to carry around.

If I am sitting in a diner, reading SF or my morning news, my cellphone (droid HTC EVO) supports flash and destroys an I phone in every other category as well. I need my devices to be as useful in the middle of nowhere as they are in some ****ing starbucks in San Fran. Sprint>ATT. Yes I know, finally after YEARS of putting up with a phone that is barely a phone, the Iphone is now available on Verizon. Yippee.
Not to mention, my devices all play well together. My devices are not elitist, trust fund baby, hipster devices sporting skinny jeans and only playing with other devices of the same brand. One last **** off and die to Apple. They took SO LONG to ditch DRM on Itunes. Luckily the market always provides a consumer suitable replacements for ****heads like Apple.

Bad assed smart phone.
Bad assed laptop.

ALL BASES COVERED

SicEmBaylor
2/2/2011, 10:08 PM
OK...nope...still don't get it. A netbook is another thing I have no use for. My laptop is AWESOME. It does everything I could want it to. It ain't that ****ing big! It is not some oppressive thing to carry around.

If I am sitting in a diner, reading SF or my morning news, my cellphone (droid HTC EVO) supports flash and destroys an I phone in every other category as well. I need my devices to be as useful in the middle of nowhere as they are in some ****ing starbucks in San Fran. Sprint>ATT. Yes I know, finally after YEARS of putting up with a phone that is barely a phone, the Iphone is now available on Verizon. Yippee.
Not to mention, my devices all play well together. My devices are not elitist, trust fund baby, hipster devices sporting skinny jeans and only playing with other devices of the same brand. One last **** off and die to Apple. They took SO LONG to ditch DRM on Itunes. Luckily the market always provides a consumer suitable replacements for ****heads like Apple.

Bad assed smart phone.
Bad assed laptop.

ALL BASES COVERED

I agree with you on the phone. I had an iPhone 3G that I eventually ditched for a Palm Pre Plus. I'm about to get a Samsung Galaxy S, and I'll likely stick with Android. The iPhone is great so long as you're content to play in the walled off garden that Apple has created. The great thing about Android (and WebOS for that matter) is the ability to dig into the internals of your phone to customize it and really make it yours. Apple just doesn't do that, and I like hacking around.

As for the laptop, I loved netbooks because of the size. I had a gargantuan HP laptop that I hauled around campus for a couple of years that I got sick of. I really only need a laptop to take notes in class with and check my e-mail on the go -- for heavy computing duties I have my desktop. What I'm looking for in something between a phone and my desktop is portability, and a tablet is much more portable than even a netbook.

Another issue with laptops is durability. I've had issues with the mobo's on laptops crapping out on me, and I got tired of spending 500-1k on a new laptop all the time. Now, Mac Books are very durable but there's no way I'm going to pay that much money for an Apple laptop that is, spec wise, so much more expensive than a comparable PC. Again, tablets fit my needs in both cost and durability.

I'm actually considering switching to the Motorola Xoom when it's released, but I'm pretty heavily invested in iOS at this point.

delhalew
2/2/2011, 10:39 PM
I agree with you on the phone. I had an iPhone 3G that I eventually ditched for a Palm Pre Plus. I'm about to get a Samsung Galaxy S, and I'll likely stick with Android. The iPhone is great so long as you're content to play in the walled off garden that Apple has created. The great thing about Android (and WebOS for that matter) is the ability to dig into the internals of your phone to customize it and really make it yours. Apple just doesn't do that, and I like hacking around.

As for the laptop, I loved netbooks because of the size. I had a gargantuan HP laptop that I hauled around campus for a couple of years that I got sick of. I really only need a laptop to take notes in class with and check my e-mail on the go -- for heavy computing duties I have my desktop. What I'm looking for in something between a phone and my desktop is portability, and a tablet is much more portable than even a netbook.

Another issue with laptops is durability. I've had issues with the mobo's on laptops crapping out on me, and I got tired of spending 500-1k on a new laptop all the time. Now, Mac Books are very durable but there's no way I'm going to pay that much money for an Apple laptop that is, spec wise, so much more expensive than a comparable PC. Again, tablets fit my needs in both cost and durability.

I'm actually considering switching to the Motorola Xoom when it's released, but I'm pretty heavily invested in iOS at this point.

Well there you go. That explains everything. We have COMPLETELY different needs in a mobile computer. My work keeps me on the road. So a desktop is of no use to me. My laptop is my desktop replacement. Therefere, 16 to 32G of storage is far to little. Counting my external drive, I roll with about 1T of storage. Someday soon I hope copious amounts of flash storage becomes affordable, but in the meantime...disc drives will break.

Being six foot one and 250 lbs, carrying a laptop is nothing. I could toss you in my bag and barely notice:)

SicEmBaylor
2/2/2011, 10:56 PM
I could toss you in my bag and barely notice:)

Go on....:hot:
:D

macdaddybuff
2/3/2011, 01:53 AM
Have the X soon to get thunderbolt
Xoom looks cool but 700 dollars is to much money.
Rather buy a nook color for 250 root it and put honeycomb on it.
Ipad is Idon't. Meaning I don't want apps splattered all over my screen. Clean,organized,widgets= android.tyvm

delhalew
2/3/2011, 01:58 AM
Have the X soon to get thunderbolt
Xoom looks cool but 700 dollars is to much money.
Rather buy a nook color for 250 root it and put honeycomb on it.
Ipad is Idon't. Meaning I don't want apps splattered all over my screen. Clean,organized,widgets= android.tyvm

The fact that I understood that makes me want to go blow my ****ing brains out.