PDA

View Full Version : US total new vehicle sales..

pphilfran
2/2/2011, 05:58 PM
The good news is....US manufacturer truck sales are going through the roof...big profit on big trucks...

The bad news is....US manufacturer truck sales are going through the roof...the next jump in gas prices will slam the gas hogs just like in the past...big profit losses as truck sales decline...

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii187/pphilfran/totalvehiclesales12.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii187/pphilfran/importvehiclesales12.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii187/pphilfran/domesticautosales12.jpg

Veritas
2/2/2011, 06:01 PM
Pretty funny, back during the gas price blip I picked up a *really* nice SUV way back of the market some putz sold to buy a Prius.

pphilfran
2/2/2011, 06:07 PM
Pretty funny, back during the gas price blip I picked up a *really* nice SUV way back of the market some putz sold to buy a Prius.

Funny, but sad...

The truck/car ratio is at its highest level since I started tracking the data a couple of years ago...the loss of truck sales is what put Detroit profits in the chitter...I am afraid we could have a repeat in a year or two...

OUthunder
2/2/2011, 06:11 PM
I bought a new truck, so I did my part.

3rdgensooner
2/2/2011, 06:15 PM
Funny, but sad...
I bought a Prius after having an SUV for about 5 years. Why is that in and of itself sad?

MR2-Sooner86
2/2/2011, 06:15 PM
I don't see the trucks like what they use to be. The older trucks of the 90's would get very, bad, awful gas milage and nobody cared. They can't really get away with that today. Now they're praising high gas milage in trucks when in the past that wasn't an option. If you want a big engine, you'll pay a gas guzzler tax and most of the time it's an option. Not to mention Ford is getting ready to start putting it's Ecoboost engines into it's trucks starting in 2011.

Veritas
2/2/2011, 06:23 PM
I bought a Prius after having an SUV for about 5 years. Why is that in and of itself sad?
It's not, other than the fact that its net lifetime environmental impact is worse then a Hummer.

(Yes, it's so, even though the envirofreak Pacific Institute tried to discredit the report).

3rdgensooner
2/2/2011, 06:25 PM
It's not, other than the fact that its net lifetime environmental impact is worse then a Hummer.

(Yes, it's so, even though the envirofreak Pacific Institute tried to discredit the report).I didn't buy it because I thought I would make some huge impact on the environment--although that seems to be the standard assumption.

The savings in fuel costs compared to a Hummer is quite remarkable however.

2121Sooner
2/2/2011, 06:27 PM
I usually fill up my Hummer and then spray about another gallon or two out on the ground after I am done. Just because I can.

Zoolander style.

soonerinkaty
2/2/2011, 06:27 PM

Because you bought a Prius.

3rdgensooner
2/2/2011, 06:33 PM
Because you bought a Prius.Circular conversations are circular.

soonerinkaty
2/2/2011, 06:39 PM
I hope you didn't but it for it's looks.

soonercruiser
2/2/2011, 06:41 PM
Because you bought a Prius.

There is some underlying wisdom to owning the Prius
You can be burried in it; thus saving casket costs!

Veritas
2/2/2011, 06:42 PM
I didn't buy it because I thought I would make some huge impact on the environment--although that seems to be the standard assumption.

The savings in fuel costs compared to a Hummer is quite remarkable however.
They're incredibly cool cars from an engineering perspective.

soonercruiser
2/2/2011, 06:43 PM
Phil!
The housing market being what it is....
Any chance folks are buying big trucks to live in? :rolleyes:

soonerinkaty
2/2/2011, 06:44 PM
It's like a tampon in wheels.

I mean no disrespect if you have a Prius and love it, more power to you. My dad owned one and it nearly killed him. In a fender bender.

3rdgensooner
2/2/2011, 07:20 PM
There is some underlying wisdom to owning the Prius
You can be burried in it; thus saving casket costs!I'll be cremated and scattered over Owen Field.

It's like a tampon in wheels.

I mean no disrespect if you have a Prius and love it, more power to you. My dad owned one and it nearly killed him. In a fender bender.I'm not following your analogy--a tampon kills people who have fender benders?

And no disrespect taken, I'm used to the kinda-cranky-I-know-what's-right-posting style that is prevalent on the SO. :D

StoopTroup
2/2/2011, 07:28 PM
Since my old car didn't Qualify for the Obamabate....I bought a 1988 Chevy 1500.

Scott D
2/2/2011, 07:48 PM
Trucks are a lot more fuel efficient than they used to be.

StoopTroup
2/2/2011, 07:53 PM
Trucks are a lot more fuel efficient than they used to be.

A lot?

I'm not gonna say a lot. No more than if when you bought a truck and went and chipped it out and put a after market air cleaner on it. Plus...look at what the damn things cost.

OUthunder
2/2/2011, 08:04 PM
A lot?

I'm not gonna say a lot. No more than if when you bought a truck and went and chipped it out and put a after market air cleaner on it. Plus...look at what the damn things cost.

Agreed, I'm lucky to get 14mpg, and that's on a good day. In the city is even worse. However, I didn't buy it for gas mileage, I bought it for flexibility and capability.

BTW, when my old truck was wrecked they gave me a Prius as a rental. That thing was fun to drive and I couldn't believe how much leg room it had. At the time, I could fit three car seats in the back with no problem. Fun little car but an energy guzzler for sure.

soonerinkaty
2/2/2011, 10:57 PM
I'm not following your analogy--a tampon kills people who have fender benders?

And no disrespect taken, I'm used to the kinda-cranky-I-know-what's-right-posting style that is prevalent on the SO. :D

The tampon part was a quote from a movie, The Other Guys.

I'm sorry I came across as an ***. It's nothing against you, I just don't like the Prius.

delhalew
2/3/2011, 12:05 AM
Since my old car didn't Qualify for the Obamabate....I bought a 1988 Chevy 1500.

I am about to buy one of those. When I find the right one. I think I'll go a little further back, and make sure I get something with a carburetor.

texaspokieokie
2/3/2011, 09:13 AM
I am about to buy one of those. When I find the right one. I think I'll go a little further back, and make sure I get something with a carburetor.

only have to go backto 86.
i wouldn't know how to start an engine with carb. i know it's not that hard
but the FI cars that i've had all start instantaneously.

sappstuf
2/3/2011, 09:50 AM
I saw the Volt sold 326 units in December and had delivered 321 units in January. They plan on making between 10K and 15K in 2011.

I can't find the number of leases because I thought leasing was supposed to be a big deal for the Volt.

pphilfran
2/3/2011, 10:00 AM
I saw the Volt sold 326 units in December and had delivered 321 units in January. They plan on making between 10K and 15K in 2011.

I can't find the number of leases because I thought leasing was supposed to be a big deal for the Volt.

Leases should be included in the numbers you posted...

I thought they were shooting for 25k this year and 120k in 2012...

OklaPony
2/3/2011, 11:00 AM

Same here. That's when I picked up my 4WD Expy.

Lawton4Life
2/3/2011, 02:27 PM
I've got at 2010 Silverado and I'm getting just about 19-20 mpg average. Least that's what the computer says. The switching to 4 cylinders when you're coasting really helps out.