PDA

View Full Version : RECRUITING RANKINGS Making Sense

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
2/2/2011, 01:28 PM
OU is ranked #16 on Rivals...BUT, we are rated #3 in average # of star-rating by our recruits. Does anyone know the formula used to determine ratings, as it is apparent that a team is punished by having too few recruits to be ranked anywhere near the top. We are the highest ranked team that has a low # of recruits.

boomersooner28
2/2/2011, 02:02 PM
Who cares? It doesn't matter.

sooner518
2/2/2011, 02:09 PM
They basically add up all the stars for the class. More players = more stars = higher ranking.

2/2/2011, 02:11 PM
They basically add up all the stars for the class. More players = more stars = higher ranking.Source?

Collier11
2/2/2011, 02:14 PM
We are so low cus of the number of recruits signed likely

Collier11
2/2/2011, 02:16 PM
Is Danzel gonna be a WR or RB, any word?

Ruf/Nek7
2/2/2011, 02:28 PM
ESPN has us #7 ahead of a lot of classes that have about 7 more players and just as many in their ESPN150. I feel ESPN bases their rankings on a ratio of offers available to quality of recruit. That, IMO, is how it should be done.

2/2/2011, 02:43 PM
ESPN has us #7 ahead of a lot of classes that have about 7 more players and just as many in their ESPN150. I feel ESPN bases their rankings on a ratio of offers available to quality of recruit. That, IMO, is how it should be done.I would think there should be a minimum size recruiting class to establish eligibility for inclusion in the rankings. After that, the average # of stars per recruit, would make the most sense. If we meet the min. # of recruits in our class, then we would be #3 ranked.(at least in the RLIMC recruiting rankings)

CatfishSooner
2/2/2011, 02:59 PM
MEHHHHHHHHH

MO_Sooner
2/2/2011, 03:05 PM
I enjoy the recruiting part of college football and signing day, but I put recruiting rankings up there with preseason polls. They don't mean a whole lot. It all comes down to how you develop your players. ESPN had an story on there CFB page that talked about what schools did the best with their recruiting classes. I know Missouri was 1st or 2nd. As much as in pains me to say it, Missouri has done well for the players they have. Who ever heard of TJ Moe before he got to Columbia? Coaches have to get the players that fit their program. Just my 2 cents. I've been couped up in the house with my two kids the past two days. This is a form of adult conversation.

Speaking of ESPN. I've had ESPNU on all day and they've had segments and talked about a number of the top classes, but I haven't seen them talk extensivley about OU yet. Maybe I missed it. I just figure the Texsux network has already gone into effect. They probably had an agreement with ESPN telling the network not to talk about OU.

2/2/2011, 03:11 PM
MEHHHHHHHHHKMAMOFO! whadda you know, anyway?

Jacie
2/2/2011, 03:24 PM
Every school's recruiting class is a potential national championship team, but the reality is, there are more also-rans and dropouts than champions.

Signing Day is about as good as it gets for some and just the beginning for a select few.

sooner518
2/2/2011, 04:35 PM
Source?

thats just what OUDavid told me..... but he knows people, so you know its correct

2/2/2011, 04:48 PM
thats just what OUDavid told me..... but he knows people, so you know its correctThat boy don't know jack. Look elsewhere for advice.

gaylordfan1
2/2/2011, 09:18 PM
Is Danzel gonna be a WR or RB, any word?

I'm thinking the coaches are going to wait to get him on campus to see what he can do and go from there. Maybe both.... who knows.

gaylordfan1
2/2/2011, 09:42 PM
After watching his film Danzel looks really impressive. Maybe it's the level of competition, but looks as good as Williams. But without the size of coarse.

oudivesherpa
2/2/2011, 10:05 PM
I get the opinion that some of the posters are concerned with OU recruiting rankings by some of the recruiting services. Most services use the number of recruits times the average star rankings per recruit to get a total ranking per class. While recruiting ranks do matter, they are not the whole story. If we can only have 85 Scholarships in total and we have so many quality athletes returning instead of going to the NFL, then we may be in far better shape than a school that can offer 27 scholarships but only has an avergage rating of 3 stars per scholly, while OU has 17 scholarships but averages 3.7 stars. Look at this way, Broyles, Lewis, and several others could be in the NFL next year and we would have more scholarships to offer on unproven but “high star” high school athletes.
One more thing Mac (Texas) usually wins the National Championship every February, but has only won 2 Big 12 Championships.

Ruf/Nek7
2/2/2011, 10:50 PM
Wonder what our ranking would be when it comes to # of stars a recruit was in his high school senior year x what they left their college as....i.e Sam Bradford was a 3 star and left as a Heisman winner. So the equation would be (3)(1 Trillion)=3 trillion for OU. Just Sayin

2/3/2011, 12:39 AM
I get the opinion that some of the posters are concerned with OU recruiting rankings by some of the recruiting services. Most services use the number of recruits times the average star rankings per recruit to get a total ranking per class. While recruiting ranks do matter, they are not the whole story. If we can only have 85 Scholarships in total and we have so many quality athletes returning instead of going to the NFL, then we may be in far better shape than a school that can offer 27 scholarships but only has an avergage rating of 3 stars per scholly, while OU has 17 scholarships but averages 3.7 stars. Look at this way, Broyles, Lewis, and several others could be in the NFL next year and we would have more scholarships to offer on unproven but “high star” high school athletes.
One more thing Mac (Texas) usually wins the National Championship every February, but has only won 2 Big 12 Championships.Fortunately, Mr. Happy Clappy is a ways down the ladder when it comes to developig talent.

2/3/2011, 12:40 AM
Wonder what our ranking would be when it comes to # of stars a recruit was in his high school senior year x what they left their college as....i.e Sam Bradford was a 3 star and left as a Heisman winner. So the equation would be (3)(1 Trillion)=3 trillion for OU. Just SayinSo, a trillion is the old billion?

Big Red Ron
2/3/2011, 08:38 PM
Reameber it wasn't long ago that we had the #1 QB and #1 RB in the same class and we still weren't rated the in the top 5. Also, bomar didn't quite work out. Look at all the frosh and soph. that played this year. We are going to be damn good next year. The only game I'm worried about is at FSU.

Anyway, signing day is cool but in no way the be all end all for a program.

StoopTroup
2/3/2011, 08:46 PM
Mack always gets the recruiting trophy....everybody knows that

StoopTroup
2/3/2011, 08:57 PM
Reameber it wasn't long ago that we had the #1 QB and #1 RB in the same class and we still weren't rated the in the top 5. Also, bomar didn't quite work out. Look at all the frosh and soph. that played this year. We are going to be damn good next year. The only game I'm worried about is at FSU.

Anyway, signing day is cool but in no way the be all end all for a program.

I hate saying this but I think it's probably true.

Bomar didn't exactly not workout....he executed himself in an act that had nothing to do with football. Had he not done what he did....it's hard to say if Sam Bradford would have gotten the opportunity he did. Thank Goodness Bob doesn't put up with kids doing stuff that some of these kids get away with at other schools. It just goes to show you that no matter how other folks view a Schools Recruiting....it's the HC at that School that really knows what he needs and whether or not a kid will really be able to be apart of his Team.

Screw Rivals. I'm pretty sure Rivals hasn't ever won a MNC.