PDA

View Full Version : Mubarak: will he stay in power or will the Red Sea come crashing down on him?

lexsooner
2/1/2011, 03:27 PM
If I was Mubarak, I would have my billions in stolen money wired overseas, country of safe haven bribed, stolen chunks of pyramids and Tut jewels for memories sake packed away, and my plane fueled and ready to leave. He's hosed.

royalfan5
2/1/2011, 04:13 PM
If I where him, I'd get the hell out of Cairo before I get Ceausecued.

King Barry's Back
2/1/2011, 08:44 PM
If I where him, I'd get the hell out of Cairo before I get Ceausecued.

I don't know much about Egypt, but it looks like the army could still shuffle him out of the country to retirement. That's probably why he still appears confident that he can last to Sept -- he feels that he could still safely flee with his family if/when it comes to that.

AlboSooner
2/1/2011, 08:46 PM
The red sea must be at his neck by now. He'll be out in a week, the most.

AlbqSooner
2/1/2011, 08:52 PM
If I was Mubarak, I would have my billions in stolen money wired overseas, country of safe haven bribed, stolen chunks of pyramids and Tut jewels for memories sake packed away, and my plane fueled and ready to leave. He's hosed.

Shah? Is that you?

soonercruiser
2/1/2011, 09:30 PM
.....the Heavens opened, and a thundering voice said...."Hosni, how long can you tread water?"
(Maybe he will flee into the Land of Canaan?)

lexsooner
2/1/2011, 09:40 PM
Shah? Is that you?

A Third World Dictator is a Third World Dictator, and I suspect they all do the same thing when they are deposed: loot their country's money, look for a country of safe haven and preferably bribe their government; and then make some speech about how noble and heroic they are and how they love their people, and then fight extradition because it probably means a death sentence.

On a serious note, if Mubarak falls, it is of major concern to the U.S. Iron fisted as he is, he is nevertheless a point of stability in the Middle East, sort of like Hussein was in Iraq. Egypt has a treaty with Israel, and who knows what their relationship would be like if Mubarak fell. The rioters represent many factions, so it would be a crap shoot as to who rules - or maybe a civil war breaks out. The outcome might be much less desirable than having Mubarak's government in charge. If it spreads to the rest of the Arab world, well, obviously we are concerned first and foremost about oil, and then Israel and terrorism.

AlboSooner
2/1/2011, 09:43 PM
The key is the Egyptian military. They seem to be secular and not interested in stopping the massive US aid, and not interested in having an ayatollah as a leader.

I understand the anger around the world, when our leaders clamor freedom, democracy, justice and equality, and yet they have been in bed with Mubarak for 30 years.

SoonerNate
2/2/2011, 03:04 PM
Look what happens when Obama opens his mouth where he doesn't belong:

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/meast/02/02/egypt.protests.scene/index.html

KantoSooner
2/2/2011, 04:45 PM
When Sadat was shot, Mubarek stepped in and did the world a favor by getting out of an endless war cycle with Israel.
He also did the world a great favor by hammering the Muslim Brotherhood remorselessly for a generation.
Someone said he'd had 12 very good years followed by about 20 increasingly bad ones.
Seems about the right assessment to me. The guy needs to go and I hope is playing for time right now only to set up an interim government headed by someone like Al Baradei (who I don't particularly like, but who's far preferable to a lot of the alternatives).
And if he lined his pockets, well, he's far from the first. The retirement programs for African heads of state are a bit sketchy.

As to the US? Well, we played the cards dealt to suit our interests. Anyone who 'blames' us for that needs to take a deep breath and calm down. Acting in one's own self interest is what our military and diplomats are paid to do. It is amusing to note that the people who are clamoring for the US to 'do something' about Mubarek are the same people who are typically bitching about US 'intervention'. Their position has no intellectual cogency or moral force and instead represents a mental condition of paralyzed juvenile dependency.

SoonerNate
2/2/2011, 04:49 PM
It's not our right to tell a sovereign leader what to do or when.

KantoSooner
2/2/2011, 04:58 PM
Or another people how to organize themselves or how to pick their leaders.

yermom
2/2/2011, 05:28 PM
It's not our right to tell a sovereign leader what to do or when.

unless they are named Saddam ;)

SoonerNate
2/2/2011, 06:48 PM
unless they are named Saddam ;)

Has Mubarak violated 13 UN sanctions?

yermom
2/2/2011, 06:50 PM
we went against the UN on that deal, if you remember

we like to back stabilizing dictators over there. i wonder why so many of the people hate us?

2121Sooner
2/2/2011, 06:51 PM

I bet the Kurds in Northern Iraq would love to have Saddam back in power.

He seemed nice.

lexsooner
2/2/2011, 07:17 PM

No, but intelligence shows he is harboring Al Queda and he also has Weapons of Mass Destruction. ;)

VeeJay
2/2/2011, 09:12 PM
When the pyramids come down - and they ARE coming down - I wonder if Time-Life or G. Gordon Liddy will be doing infomercials, selling pieces of them?

Speculators would be wise to get in on the action.

SoonerNate
2/3/2011, 03:59 PM
Wonderful. So it looks like Obama is siding with those kidnapping and threatening to behead our media. This man (Hussein Obama) is clearly a radical Muslim.

The Profit
2/3/2011, 04:15 PM
I am voting for The Red Sea.

Bourbon St Sooner
2/3/2011, 05:16 PM
A Third World Dictator is a Third World Dictator, and I suspect they all do the same thing when they are deposed: loot their country's money, look for a country of safe haven and preferably bribe their government; and then make some speech about how noble and heroic they are and how they love their people, and then fight extradition because it probably means a death sentence.

On a serious note, if Mubarak falls, it is of major concern to the U.S. Iron fisted as he is, he is nevertheless a point of stability in the Middle East, sort of like Hussein was in Iraq. Egypt has a treaty with Israel, and who knows what their relationship would be like if Mubarak fell. The rioters represent many factions, so it would be a crap shoot as to who rules - or maybe a civil war breaks out. The outcome might be much less desirable than having Mubarak's government in charge. If it spreads to the rest of the Arab world, well, obviously we are concerned first and foremost about oil, and then Israel and terrorism.

Saddam was a source of stability in the ME? Is that when he was invading his neighbors or when he was paying the families of Palestinian suicide bombers?

The Profit
2/3/2011, 06:05 PM
Saddam was a source of stability in the ME? Is that when he was invading his neighbors or when he was paying the families of Palestinian suicide bombers?

Maybe he meant that Saddam was a source of stability in Iraq, which he was. Saddam in Irag was just like Tito in the old Yugoslavia. No one dared get out of line in either country. With Tito gone, Yugoslavia fell into civil war, and eventually broke up. With Saddam gone, and when we are completely gone, Iraq will become an extension of Iran. With a population that is 65 percent Shiite, it is bound to happen.

SoonerNate
2/3/2011, 07:02 PM
I cannot believe how much Obama is turning into Jimmy Carter II. Awful economy, high energy prices, inflation coming, and his Iran is Egypt.

StoopTroup
2/3/2011, 09:07 PM
I think he should send soldiers out with bumperstickers on their nightsticks with his name on them for the next election. If they want him to step down....let him step down like he's said he will. To many folks with agendas suddenly stomping their feet that they don't like something...well...it isn't a good way to change your Countries Government.

MR2-Sooner86
2/4/2011, 11:45 AM
I don't know about the rest of you but I'm going to enjoy sitting back and watching that part of the world go straight to hell on the 10 o'clock news.

:pop:

OUMallen
2/4/2011, 01:05 PM
I cannot believe how much Obama is turning into Jimmy Carter II. Awful economy, high energy prices, inflation coming, and his Iran is Egypt.

How is Egypt his fault? This situation started without us doing much about it, and we haven't done much about it since.

lexsooner
2/4/2011, 03:12 PM
How is Egypt his fault? This situation started without us doing much about it, and we haven't done much about it since.

Because Rush and Hannity said so. Nate also said the improving economic indicators and rising stock market are the result of the one month of GOP control of Congress.

opksooner
2/4/2011, 03:33 PM
I don't know about the rest of you but I'm going to enjoy sitting back and watching that part of the world go straight to hell on the 10 o'clock news.

:pop: "Ask not for whom the bell tolls.........................."

Breadburner
2/4/2011, 03:36 PM
Omar Abdel-Rahman.....This dude had a role in Sadats slaying and the 93 Trade Center bombing.....