PDA

View Full Version : Super Bowls Belong in the South

SoonerNate
1/31/2011, 11:56 PM
This year and this storm is the very reason that the Super Bowl should never be played outside of either:

Miami, Tampa, New Orleans, or San Diego

Who wants to party where there's ice?

Discuss.

Breadburner
2/1/2011, 12:02 AM
**** that climate controlled bull****....

Soonerus
2/1/2011, 12:09 AM
The game is in doors, most partying is indoors...tilt, tilt....

Cornfed
2/1/2011, 12:20 AM
Yep if you cant set in the sun and sand and drink something with an umbrella then its not a superbowl town.

sooner518
2/1/2011, 12:39 AM
football is more fun in cold weather. the super bowl is not football, so I agree with you. should probably be in Miami every year.

SoonerNate
2/1/2011, 12:48 AM
football is more fun in cold weather. the super bowl is not football, so I agree with you. should probably be in Miami every year.

It should never be played in a bowl. That just sucks.

yermom
2/1/2011, 12:57 AM
at least Jerry Worls is enclosed

that **** in New Jersey seems like a horrible idea

EatLeadCommie
2/1/2011, 01:10 AM
Dallas is experiencing some of its worst weather in years this week, but it's not as if this weather is common. It's very often the case that it will be 60-70 degrees this time of year.

I say play it everywhere. Of course fans of the Bucs, Chargers, Dolphins, Saints, and other nearby teams would love for it to be in their city every year. Personally, I'd love to see it played in some awful weather every now and then.

ouwasp
2/1/2011, 01:22 AM
Wasn't there a move to have it played at the old Veteran's Stadium in Philly about 15 yrs ago? That seemed pretty ignorant to me.

SoonerNate
2/1/2011, 01:28 AM
Dallas is experiencing some of its worst weather in years this week, but it's not as if this weather is common. It's very often the case that it will be 60-70 degrees this time of year.

I say play it everywhere. Of course fans of the Bucs, Chargers, Dolphins, Saints, and other nearby teams would love for it to be in their city every year. Personally, I'd love to see it played in some awful weather every now and then.

I'm a Fins fan but it's not like my team is getting there anytime soon so that's not my reasoning. I volunteered with the Super Bowl Committee last year and the Pro Bowl. Honestly, I don't even mind it being in Dallas. But...

The history of the Super Bowl has a rivalry between Miami and New Orleans for the most Super Bowls hosted. Jerra made some huge kingdom in Arlington and now Goodell is trying to tell Miami that they must make improvements to Sun Life Stadium in order to compete in the future.

Again, it's just my opinion but playing in New Jersey or Minneapolis isn't very sexy. "Hey let's have Punt, Pass, Kick, indoors!" Screw that. What's next? The Pro Bowl in Green Bay?

Always_Sooner
2/1/2011, 02:47 AM
Yea when New York City gets it, you better hope for a nice day for that time of year.

SoonerNate
2/1/2011, 03:38 AM
I wonder if the same folks that want the Super Bowl played in the north want to travel up north to see Oklahoma play in bowl games.

Of course not.

auto
2/1/2011, 07:12 AM
This year and this storm is the very reason that the Super Bowl should never be played outside of either:

Discuss.

It's about football, it's played outside, wipe the sand out of your vjj and man up. Jesus, I can't stand weather and late game weenies.

CBUS_SOONER
2/1/2011, 08:06 AM
I hope when it is in NJ there is a blizzard... that will teach em. NY sucks

texaspokieokie
2/1/2011, 08:20 AM
should be played in warmer clime. they shuda had it last week. was about
75 here in d/fw both fri & sat. sunday was also very nice.

original bowl games were rewards for players to go where the weather
was warm. rose,sugar & orange. then dallas got into the picture with cotton.

weather varies greatly in north tejas. one year @ cotton there was a terrible ice storm. i went to cotton in 1976 & it was (almost) hot. got a little sun burn.

un-predictable weather is enuff of a reason to not have a bowl game. JMHO

i don't care if the players get cold, but the fans are just sitting there, generating no heat.

SoonerinSouthlake
2/1/2011, 08:46 AM
What do I care...
at $1200 per ticket no matter where its played the weather will be just fine in my living room

Harry Beanbag
2/1/2011, 09:00 AM
I think it should be played at Lambeau every year.

auto
2/1/2011, 09:15 AM
I think it should be played at Lambeau every year.

One of the best experiences in my life, tailgating and playoff game in GB.:D

Leroy Lizard
2/1/2011, 09:58 AM
Why would I give a **** whether people that go to the Super Bowl can party? I can't go to the Super Bowl so I think it should be played in the Northwest Territories.

Outside.

SoonerDomiNation
2/1/2011, 11:37 AM
If i played id want it in Hawaii every year. Just like the pro bowl.

tfoolry
2/1/2011, 11:48 AM
It'll be in the 60's & sunny on gameday. The cool weather in the meantime is not an issue for any of the fans as there are so many activities & parties going on....

http://www.dallasobserver.com/events/super-bowl-xlv-2030001/

texaspokieokie
2/1/2011, 11:50 AM
when i lived in LA, the pro-bowl was there. colieseum.

i went 2 (for sure) times & maybe 3.

weather was nice. not as nice as HI.

ouleaf
2/1/2011, 12:33 PM
It'll be in the 60's & sunny on gameday. The cool weather in the meantime is not an issue for any of the fans as there are so many activities & parties going on....

http://www.dallasobserver.com/events/super-bowl-xlv-2030001/

This

Would have been great for those traveling out of town if this week would have been like it was this past weekend, but the actual day of the game the weather should be nice.

This certainly will not be the last Super Bowl hosted in Dallas.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
2/1/2011, 12:52 PM
Why would I give a **** whether people that go to the Super Bowl can party? I can't go to the Super Bowl so I think it should be played in the Northwest Territories.

Outside.Yellowknife has a football "stadium", I think, and the ice road across Great Slave Lake is in operation in early February. That would work.

Soonermagik
2/1/2011, 02:33 PM
The super bowl should never leave S. Florida, IMHO. I've heard rumors that the NFL has told Sun Life stadium if they could put a retractable dome on they would likely be the only super bowl location. I'm sure that would cost a few coins.

The dome would only be closed if there was rain to maintain the integrity of the field. There's just so much to do in Miami and the Keys aren't that far away. Cold weather sucks!!!!

agoo758
2/1/2011, 02:45 PM
I say we have the SB at Lambeau every year with a 5 dollar package that includes a ticket, a Bud ice, and a couple of Brats. :pop:

SoonerNate
2/1/2011, 03:17 PM
The super bowl should never leave S. Florida, IMHO. I've heard rumors that the NFL has told Sun Life stadium if they could put a retractable dome on they would likely be the only super bowl location. I'm sure that would cost a few coins.

The dome would only be closed if there was rain to maintain the integrity of the field. There's just so much to do in Miami and the Keys aren't that far away. Cold weather sucks!!!!

Won't happen though after the fight to already dish out millions to build the Marlins new ballpark

Harry Beanbag
2/1/2011, 03:32 PM
I say we have the SB at Lambeau every year with a 5 dollar package that includes a ticket, a Bud ice, and a couple of Brats. :pop:

And battery powered socks.

sooner ngintunr
2/1/2011, 03:39 PM
I wonder if the same folks that want the Super Bowl played in the north want to travel up north to see Oklahoma play in bowl games.

Of course not.

I think OU fans would go wherever. There was a crapload of them in KC when it was 25*. Good stuff.

SoonerNate
2/1/2011, 06:55 PM
I think OU fans would go wherever. There was a crapload of them in KC when it was 25*. Good stuff.

Good point.

yermom
2/1/2011, 07:00 PM

it was colder than that twice when i went, i'm pretty sure (2003 and 2006, maybe 2004)

heck, it was about that when i went to Austin to see them play A&M this year

the thing with Super Bowls is that it's more about casual fans with $$$ from what i can tell

Scott D
2/1/2011, 07:24 PM
this thread is funny.

Super Bowl up here went off without a hitch...and that was even with those lunatics from Seattle in town.

yermom
2/1/2011, 07:37 PM
that's in a dome too though, isn't it?

Scott D
2/1/2011, 07:43 PM
ya, so?

I think it's funny as hell that anyone cares if it's in a dome up north. Anytime it's in Louisiana it's in a dome....so it's pretty hypocritical to complain about it being in a dome anywhere else.

What makes a Super Bowl in a northern climate any less enjoyable than one in Miami in a frigging downpour?

yermom
2/1/2011, 07:46 PM
i'm thinking more like in New Jersey next year

and the Super Dome was hella uncomfortable when i was there

Scott D
2/1/2011, 08:00 PM
This time in NJ you have just as much a chance for it to be near 40 degrees as you do for it to be 20 degrees.

yermom
2/1/2011, 10:34 PM
well, it is warmer there now than it is here :D

kiomanche
2/2/2011, 12:31 PM

Discuss.

Whatever! New Orleans smells like a porta pottie!! it was 60 degrees last week in Texas, If you ask the players that are in Arlington right now, they say Jerrys world feels like a Superbowl, there is not another stadium in the world that can compete with this place!

texaspokieokie
2/2/2011, 12:52 PM
Whatever! New Orleans smells like a porta pottie!! it was 60 degrees last week in Texas, If you ask the players that are in Arlington right now, they say Jerrys world feels like a Superbowl, there is not another stadium in the world that can compete with this place!

it was about 75 degrees here (d/fw) fridy & sat. sundy was about 65.

JMHO jerries world is an ostentatious over-kill.
i've been there twice & don't want to return.

it sure was pleasing that the cowboys were so pitiful this season that they didn't even come close to becoming the 1st team to have a "home" superbowl.

there will be a new attendance record for the souper bowl. jerrie is dieing for it & the nfl has decided it will be. some will sit outside & a few will stand up
for the whole game; but jerrie must have his record. i hope he gets a cute little trophy.

2/2/2011, 01:42 PM
it was about 75 degrees here (d/fw) fridy & sat. sundy was about 65.

JMHO jerries world is an ostentatious over-kill.
i've been there twice & don't want to return.

it sure was pleasing that the cowboys were so pitiful this season that they didn't even come close to becoming the 1st team to have a "home" superbowl.

there will be a new attendance record for the souper bowl. jerrie is dieing for it & the nfl has decided it will be. some will sit outside & a few will stand up
for the whole game; but jerrie must have his record. i hope he gets a cute little trophy.we get it that you dislike the Cowboys and/or Jerry Jones. Which iced-in city's team are you for in the big game?

SoonerNate
2/2/2011, 01:47 PM
Jerra has Goodell eating out of his hands and it makes me sick.

texaspokieokie
2/2/2011, 02:03 PM
we get it that you dislike the Cowboys and/or Jerry Jones. Which iced-in city's team are you for in the big game?

i gotta lotta respect for jerrie, & don't understand why some cowboy fans don't like him. he fired landry; but that was 22 yrs ago. he's won 3 super bowls.

i have A friend from pittsburgh, so i'll probly root for steelers. also, if they win they'll have 2 more wins than the cowgirls, in the same number of tries.

2/2/2011, 02:19 PM
i gotta lotta respect for jerrie, & don't understand why some cowboy fans don't like him. he fired landry; but that was 22 yrs ago. he's won 3 super bowls.

i have A friend from pittsburgh, so i'll probly root for steelers. also, if they win they'll have 2 more wins than the cowgirls, in the same number of tries. Ditto. I think what caused Jerry problems at the beginning was the abrupt way he fired the beloved Tom Landry, moreso than just the firing. Like you, though, I have liked Jerry, and the way he's handled himself, pretty much since then.

OULenexaman
2/2/2011, 02:30 PM
I wish they would have played it last night at Soldier Field..

BudSooner
2/2/2011, 05:05 PM
Ditto. I think what caused Jerry problems at the beginning was the abrupt way he fired the beloved Tom Landry, moreso than just the firing. Like you, though, I have liked Jerry, and the way he's handled himself, pretty much since then.You actually like Jerry Jones? You mean Steinbrenner lite?

Nice new digs.....check.
Ran off a coach who won him two titles, would not stay out of the way of the other coaches,poorly handled the firing of a legend.

You want to see great owners then visit the folks in GB,NY's Mara family, and mostly the Rooney gang up in Steel town.
I personally loathe Jones and hope his ****ty team don't sniff a title for another 20 yrs.

yermom
2/2/2011, 05:30 PM
i didn't hate Jerry Jones until i went to Jerryworld

2/2/2011, 05:33 PM
You actually like Jerry Jones?...
I personally loathe Jones and hope his ****ty team don't sniff a title for another 20 yrs.I like Jerry's chutzpah, and he's not even Jewish.(I don't think he is, anyway)

auto
2/2/2011, 06:22 PM

i have A friend from pittsburgh, so i'll probly root for steelers. also, if they win they'll have 2 more wins than the cowgirls, in the same number of tries.

Jerry is a brokedick who expected taxpayers to build his great white elephant in BFE armpit of Arlington.

yermom
2/2/2011, 06:48 PM
if Dallas would have taken it, it would have been better

auto
2/2/2011, 07:21 PM
if Dallas would have taken it, it would have been better

Dallas taxpayers did not want to support jerral.

bluedogok
2/2/2011, 10:45 PM
Jerry is a brokedick who expected taxpayers to build his great white elephant in BFE armpit of Arlington.
The City of Arlington contribution was capped at $325 million before interest, the other $875,000,000 was the responsibility of Jerry, that included a $100 million loan from the NFL. The CoA contribution was about 1/4 of the cost which might turn out to be a pretty good investment. I bet it sure is better than the polished turd over in Fair Park...which is where they should have built it.

Dallas taxpayers did not want to support jerral.
Laura Miller didn't want to when they had the debt from the AAC like an anchor around their neck. So she slow played Jones and he went elsewhere.

auto
2/2/2011, 11:01 PM
The City of Arlington contribution was capped at $325 million before interest, the other $875,000,000 was the responsibility of Jerry, that included a $100 million loan from the NFL. The CoA contribution was about 1/4 of the cost which might turn out to be a pretty good investment. I bet it sure is better than the polished turd over in Fair Park...which is where they should have built it.

Laura Miller didn't want to when they had the debt from the AAC like an anchor around their neck. So she slow played Jones and he went elsewhere.

uhhh thanks for the replay:rolleyes: . Public financing of billionaire private business is BS. Telling Jerral to hike it is the only good thing Laura ever did.

Arlington is a dump pure and simple, they sell their sole with ED and the hopes of a big payoff, and people rush in and out ASAP.

SoonerNate
2/3/2011, 12:13 AM
uhhh thanks for the replay:rolleyes: . Public financing of billionaire private business is BS. Telling Jerral to hike it is the only good thing Laura ever did.

Arlington is a dump pure and simple, they sell their sole with ED and the hopes of a big payoff, and people rush in and out ASAP.

Isn't that how you guys got the Thunder there?

yermom
2/3/2011, 01:32 AM
yep.

man, it would really suck to have a Super Bowl in your town

auto
2/3/2011, 08:46 AM

wouldn't know, do not live in OKC, I know what my vote would have been.:D

Scott D
2/3/2011, 12:54 PM
we now know that auto doesn't support jobs and the construction industry, not to mention taxable concessions ;)

Soonermagik
2/3/2011, 02:55 PM

There's a difference in giving seed money to a project vs giving tons of money to one of the most wealthy sports teams in America. I don't have the numbers, but I bet OKC paid peanuts compared to what Arlington paid.

texaspokieokie
2/3/2011, 03:12 PM
arlington paid 325 mil.

auto
2/3/2011, 06:05 PM
we now know that auto doesn't support jobs and the construction industry, not to mention taxable concessions ;)

I support everyone paying there way, and not the system of crony capitalism wannabe marxism that seems to exist.

Look at how Bob Kraft financed his stadium. :)