PDA

View Full Version : OH God Please say it isn't true...

Sooner_Tuf
1/31/2011, 04:40 PM
We all knew it was going to happen.

Urban Meyer joining ESPN as analyst

Former Florida coach Urban Meyer is joining ESPN as a college football analyst.

Meyer, who won two BCS national championships at Florida, will make his debut Wednesday during ESPNU's coverage of national signing day. He will work weekly regular-season games during the season, as well as providing studio analysis on ESPN's "College Football Live" and "College GameDay. "

"Football has played an extremely important role in my life for the past 25 years and ESPN has given me an incredible opportunity to join its world-class team and share my passion, knowledge, and enthusiasm for the game with fans across the country," Meyer said in a prepared statement.

Meyer resigned from Florida after the 2010 season. He served as a guest analyst for ESPN's coverage of the Tostitos BCS National Championship Game.

"Coach Meyer brings a fresh voice and a contemporary knowledge of the game," said Norby Williamson, ESPN executive vice president for production. "As he showed during BCS coverage, his ability to communicate the strategic aspects of the game and his incredible track record for success will serve college football fans everywhere."

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6077362

gaylordfan1
1/31/2011, 04:51 PM
Didn't he get out of coaching to get away from football and to spend time with his family?

Boomer.....
1/31/2011, 04:56 PM
Let the Tim Tebow love fest live on.

bent rider
1/31/2011, 04:57 PM
He has adopted Kirk Herbstreit as his son.

budbarrybob
1/31/2011, 05:02 PM
sucks

Mike Stoops
1/31/2011, 05:10 PM
Don't understand the Urban Meyer hate. He's always been respectful of OU, is good friends with Stoops, lavished praise on Bradford, etc.

Jason Alexander
1/31/2011, 05:10 PM
Now that he's not coaching the Gators anymore, I don't have anything against the guy. I think he could actually bring some useful knowledge of football to ESPN and actually give the audience some good insight into the game itself. In oppose to having to listen to "Dr. Lou" and Mark "May" Day give us "insight" into the game.

jumperstop
1/31/2011, 05:34 PM
Now that he's not coaching the Gators anymore, I don't have anything against the guy. I think he could actually bring some useful knowledge of football to ESPN and actually give the audience some good insight into the game itself. In oppose to having to listen to "Dr. Lou" and Mark "May" Day give us "insight" into the game.

"Dr. Lou" is just the geriatric version of Urban Myer....

rainiersooner
1/31/2011, 05:37 PM
Slow news day around here.

What did you expect him to do? Not work at all? Become an accountant? My guess is that being an ESPN commentator allows him to continue to participate in something he loves without killing himself. Good for him.

sperry
1/31/2011, 05:49 PM
I like Urban Meyer. Most OU fans seem to dislike anyone from another program that is successful. Never really understood it.

nativesooner
1/31/2011, 05:59 PM
I figured he would sooner or later.... Look for Timmy to be next when he "retires" from the NFL in 2 years...

Radar's Left Hand
1/31/2011, 07:04 PM
There is a huge difference between being a talking head and the HC of a major football program. The dude didn't die, he just wanted a job where he could spend more time with his family. This seems like a smart move and a good fit.

BajaOklahoma
1/31/2011, 07:30 PM
There is a huge difference between being a talking head and the HC of a major football program. The dude didn't die, he just wanted a job where he could spend more time with his family. This seems like a smart move and a good fit.

People usually underestimate the prep time required and the amount of travel involved when you are a talking head for football games. If you want to be any good at it, anyway.

soonerinabilene
1/31/2011, 10:54 PM
People usually underestimate the prep time required and the amount of travel involved when you are a talking head for football games. If you want to be any good at it, anyway.

yeah, but you get 8 months of NOTHING in between seasons, instead of recruiting, offseason, more recruiting, spring practice, recruiting, "unsupervised" summer workouts, recruting, two a days, and recruiting.

bluedogok
1/31/2011, 11:05 PM
Maybe that explains Craig James and Bob Davie......

Breadburner
1/31/2011, 11:07 PM
He's not gay he just held Tebow's dick in his mouth....!

85sooners
1/31/2011, 11:47 PM
Urban is cool

SoonerNate
1/31/2011, 11:59 PM
You know what is hilarious? Both Randy Shannon and Urban Meyer will be analysts for National Signing Day. I hope they have fun discussing Florida State's #1 National Class. LMAO

ouwasp
2/1/2011, 12:01 AM
I think he'll be okay. Sure do wish we woulda beat him in '08 though...

SoonerNate
2/1/2011, 12:18 AM
I think he'll be okay. Sure do wish we woulda beat him in '08 though...

Good thing he's spending all that valuable time with his family. Remember that line?

He's a jerk.

Like Texas with VY, he is useless w/o Tebow and got out before it became too obvious.

Mike Stoops
2/1/2011, 12:22 AM
Good thing he's spending all that valuable time with his family. Remember that line?

He's a jerk.

Like Texas with VY, he is useless w/o Tebow and got out before it became too obvious.

You mean the guy who won a BCS bowl with Utah and a NC with Chris Leak at Quarterback?

SoonerNate
2/1/2011, 12:23 AM
You mean the guy who won a BCS bowl with Utah and a NC with Chris Leak at Quarterback?

I mean the guy who was in the right place at the right time be it Bowling Green, Alex Smith at Utah, or Tim Tebow at UF.

GKeeper316
2/1/2011, 12:27 AM
Didn't he get out of coaching to get away from football and to spend time with his family?

no he got out of coaching because of the stress it was putting on his heart. being a sports talking head is a whole helluva lot less stressful than being the head coach of a top 10 program like FU

SoonerNate
2/1/2011, 12:32 AM
no he got out of coaching because of the stress it was putting on his heart. being a sports talking head is a whole helluva lot less stressful than being the head coach of a top 10 program like FU

Then he's a baby. Joe Pa and Bobby didn't seem to have a problem with it.

He's a jerk.

Leroy Lizard
2/1/2011, 12:55 AM

Agreed. But the pressure is nothing like that of coaching. This is a good move and I think he'll do a good job, although I always figured him to be more of the quiet type.

SoonerNate
2/1/2011, 12:56 AM
Yea, so much for all that time spent with family. Funny how the exhaustion never set in until Timmy was leaving.

Leroy Lizard
2/1/2011, 12:57 AM
Then he's a baby. Joe Pa and Bobby didn't seem to have a problem with it.

Maybe because they weren't predisposed toward heart disease?

Boy, Lou Gehrig was sure a baby, coming down with that disease and all. Sure didn't bother Babe Ruth.

Leroy Lizard
2/1/2011, 12:58 AM
Yea, so much for all that time spent with family. Funny how the exhaustion never set in until Timmy was leaving.

Give it up. The dude can flat coach. He may have been the best in the business while he was in it.

SoonerNate
2/1/2011, 01:09 AM
I agree his health was an issue. And once Tebow (the perfect fit for his system) left I'm sure that the stress of not being good without his superstar would have had an effect on his health. We might want to add Jimbo Fisher and the writing on the wall that he couldn't compete recruiting wise with FSU as well.

BTW, we are lucky as hell we get them at Doak this year and not 2-3 years from now.

Leroy Lizard
2/1/2011, 01:12 AM
I agree his health was an issue. And once Tebow (the perfect fit for his system) left I'm sure that the stress of not being good without his superstar would have had an effect on his health. We might want to add Jimbo Fisher and the writing on the wall that he couldn't compete recruiting wise with FSU as well.

BTW, we are lucky as hell we get them at Doak this year and not 2-3 years from now.

We had a superstar QB too. Didn't do us much good when we played his team.

Sorry Nate, but I think you're off your rocker on this one.

ouwasp
2/1/2011, 01:16 AM
I was about to say "it'll be nice to hear someone new"... but I realized I watch Sooner games on mute 90% of the time anyway...:O

If it's not a Sooner game I rarely notice who's announcing. Unless it's Brent. He usually manages to annoy me.

SoonerNate
2/1/2011, 01:22 AM

I find it hard to be objective. I loathe the Gators ever since Spurrier left.

Sooner_Tuf
2/1/2011, 01:44 AM

What was the score again?

SoonerNate
2/1/2011, 01:52 AM
We had more points / yards then any other team against the Gaydurrs that season. We blew it on the goal line.

Leroy Lizard
2/1/2011, 02:00 AM
What was the score again?

Does it really matter?

Leroy Lizard
2/1/2011, 02:03 AM
We had more points / yards then any other team against the Gaydurrs that season.

I hope you're an Ole Miss fan, because they not only scored 31 points on them but also won.

TUSooner
2/1/2011, 10:21 AM
Slow news day around here.

What did you expect him to do? Not work at all? Become an accountant? My guess is that being an ESPN commentator allows him to continue to participate in something he loves without killing himself. Good for him.

Thank you for making sense.

I don't know what's the problem with the whiney babies who think Meyer needs to be on bed rest except when he takes his family to church.
The Meyer hate is irrational.

tcrb
2/1/2011, 10:38 AM
Maybe that explains Craig James and Bob Davie......

Nah...they're just doosh bags.

texaspokieokie
2/1/2011, 11:23 AM
Thank you for making sense.

I don't know what's the problem with the whiney babies who think Meyer needs to be on bed rest except when he takes his family to church.
The Meyer hate is irrational.

right-on !!!!!

AlboSooner
2/1/2011, 11:38 AM
Don't understand the Urban Meyer hate. He's always been respectful of OU, is good friends with Stoops, lavished praise on Bradford, etc.

I don't like the fact that he called two timeouts with 12 seconds left in the NC game, just to rub it in Stoops' face. However, if you don't like what the opponent is doing then you stop them.

Sooner_Tuf
2/1/2011, 08:09 PM
Does it really matter?

If you're gay it doesn't matter. Oh I see your point. Yes it matters to me.

Leroy Lizard
2/1/2011, 08:39 PM
If you're gay it doesn't matter. Oh I see your point. Yes it matters to me.

That was well beyond lame. :rolleyes:

agoo758
2/1/2011, 09:06 PM
[QUOTE=rainiersooner;3134594]Slow news day around here.

What did you expect him to do? Not work at all? Become an accountant? QUOTE]

Why the hell not?:mad:

agoo758
2/1/2011, 09:07 PM
I mean the guy who was in the right place at the right time be it Bowling Green, Alex Smith at Utah, or Tim Tebow at UF.

Ok, I am no Urban Meyer fan, but this is one of the silliest posts I have ever seen.

Leroy Lizard
2/1/2011, 09:19 PM
Ok, I am no Urban Meyer fan, but this is one of the silliest posts I have ever seen.

Agreed. It is hardly surprising that a coach's fortunes rise and fall with the quality of QB at their disposal. That applies to every coach.

agoo758
2/1/2011, 09:22 PM
Agreed. It is hardly surprising that a coach's fortunes rise and fall with the quality of QB at their disposal. That applies to every coach.

Not only that, but to claim a coach who was successfull at THREE programs lucky, is mind-boggling.

KC//CRIMSON
2/1/2011, 11:32 PM
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs896.ash1/180443_499062929676_517809676_6428054_5730733_n.jp g

SoonerNate
2/1/2011, 11:53 PM
I am literally astounded at some of the white knighting going on around here for Urban Meyer of all people.

Sooner_Tuf
2/2/2011, 12:57 AM
That was well beyond lame. :rolleyes:

Well I was talking about you. I didn't have much to work with.

prrriiide
2/2/2011, 01:16 AM
Like he could POSSIBLY be worse than Granny Mushmouth, Mark Ghey, or Corso? I don't see it as a bad thing. An analyst that has won a championship within the lifetime of the kids now playing, that is well-spoken, and that obviously has a passion for the game certainly will be an upgrade to ESPiN's CFB coverage.

Peach Fuzz
2/2/2011, 01:23 AM
My thoughts ^^... All hate/ prison recruiting aside/ Dude knows football and apperently can coach decent. Anything is better than mark gay IMO

SoonerNate
2/2/2011, 02:58 AM
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a78/nursetpd/Florida/Urban_Returns.gif

oubose
2/2/2011, 09:25 PM
just 1 more reason not to watch

SoCaliSooner
2/2/2011, 09:31 PM
I unfortunately watched most of the signing day on ESPN...Urban took credit for that class at UF and I can guarantee he'll use his position to pimp the SEC and I'll bet he'll do his best to pump UF worse than Hotlz does ND....

Leroy Lizard
2/2/2011, 09:53 PM
Well I was talking about you. I didn't have much to work with.

http://arthropoda.southernfriedscience.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/facepalm.jpg

Sooner_Tuf
2/3/2011, 01:21 AM
http://arthropoda.southernfriedscience.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/facepalm.jpg

I know you think you're clever, but you're not.

Leroy Lizard
2/3/2011, 01:35 AM
I know you think you're clever, but you're not.

StoopTroup, can you help this guy out?