PDA

View Full Version : Oklahoma liquor law changes proposed

sooner59
1/31/2011, 03:40 PM
http://newsok.com/oklahoma-liquor-law-changes-proposed/article/3536947?custom_click=headlines_widget

Legislators have proposed sweeping reforms to Oklahoma alcohol laws they say will modernize the laws and bring a larger variety of alcohol products to more locations statewide.
Advertisement

“There's enough people that want the change that we're going to have a change,” said Sen. Clark Jolley, R-Edmond.

Jolley and other lawmakers have filed a slew of alcohol-related bills to be considered this year that would let voters decide on an array of changes to state alcohol laws.

Among the ideas are allowing wine and strong beer sales in grocery and convenience stores, products other than alcohol to be sold in liquor stores and direct shipments of wine to consumers.

Currently, grocery and convenience stores can only sell low point beer, liquor retailers can only sell non-refrigerated wine, liquor and beer and consumers cannot receive direct shipments of wine from wineries or other businesses.

The proposals require changes to the state Constitution, which requires a vote of the people.

Jolley said consumers and business owners are “crying out” for modernization of alcohol laws in Oklahoma.

“We are going to have to go to a vote of the people at some point. Either the Legislature is going to do it or initiative petition is going to do it,” Jolley said. “If we're going to have a vote on it, let's make sure it's well thought out and make sure we are protecting the public.”

More than a dozen bills dealing with alcohol laws have been filed for consideration this year. Many of the bills call for a vote of the people.

Several state alcohol retailers and distributors whose business models would be disrupted under the proposals plan to oppose the bills during the upcoming Legislative session.

They say the proposed changes give an unfair advantage to out-of-state corporations and put local businesses at risk.

“Nothing against Sam's wholesale club, but what do they bring to the table for Oklahoma? Once Sam's gets wine, all the profit is going to Arkansas,” where the company is headquartered, said Rick Naifeh, owner of Premium Brands Wine and Spirits, an Oklahoma City-based alcohol distributor. “Why do we want our income to leave our state?”

Lobbying already under way

As the Feb. 7 start of the legislative session approaches, the myriad businesses that make up the state's alcohol industry have begun pouring through the bills to see how they might be affected.

Lawmakers said alcohol industry lobbyists already are getting involved in discussions about the bills, which are expected to change throughout the legislative process.

Jolley said it is too early to say what specifically voters may be asked to decide.

“We'll just have to see where it goes,” Jolley said.

Also involved in discussions are local chambers of commerce, including the Greater Oklahoma City Chamber, which has members who support and oppose the proposals.

Greater Oklahoma City Chamber President Roy Williams said his group's goal is to see wine and strong beer sales in grocery and convenience stores.

The chamber is hosting ongoing discussions with grocery and alcohol wholesalers and retailers about how to best achieve that goal.

“What we've learned to date is it's a very complex issue,” Williams said. “What gives us hope here is 35 states have already done this. They have figured it out.”

Retail Liquor Association of Oklahoma President J.P. Richard said the proposed changes are unfair to small businesses that were set up under the state's existing alcohol regulatory structure.

Richard said he has already met with several legislators to discuss his group's opposition to the proposals.

“It puts some people out of business for the benefit of a few out of state retailers,” said Richard, a Lawton liquor store owner.

Richard said major alcohol manufacturers and corporate retailers already distribute to grocery and convenience stores that local liquor suppliers have never been allowed to do business with.

“People who supply liquor stores would go out of business,” Richard said.

Many of the bills place more responsibilities on the Alcoholic Beverage Laws Enforcement Commission, which enforces state alcohol laws but does not currently oversee alcohol sales in grocery and convenience stores.

Legislative staffers Friday asked the commission to prepare an estimate on the cost of expanding its jurisdiction to include additional retail outlets, the commission's general counsel said.

“We are committed to enforcing whatever laws are passed by Oklahoma legislators,” general counsel John Maisch said. “We are hopeful that whatever bills are passed this session will not unintentionally increase the number intoxicated persons who get behind the wheel of a car or children who unlawfully access alcoholic beverages or tobacco.”

Read more: http://newsok.com/oklahoma-liquor-law-changes-proposed/article/3536947#ixzz1CeDBa1NT

Viking Kitten
1/31/2011, 03:50 PM
"Screw consumers," said Rick Naifeh, owner of Premium Brands Wine and Spirits. "Why do they think they deserve to make choices in the marketplace? The existing laws protect my business interests, and that's really all that matters."

yermom
1/31/2011, 03:55 PM
well, the good news is that "Randy Brogdon, (R) Owasso" has moved on :D

DIB
1/31/2011, 03:55 PM
I hope the neo-prohibitionist *********s don't derail this.

DIB
1/31/2011, 03:56 PM
I can say dick, but not dou-chebag? You kids have a weird concept of censorship.

Sooner5030
1/31/2011, 03:59 PM
this means that you can now shield your personal assets by incorporating. Okie Liquor stores have had to be a sole proprietorship up til now.......I think.

Pricetag
1/31/2011, 04:03 PM
"Never in the history of this great nation have large retailers been allowed to undercut local businesses," said Retail Liquor Association of Oklahoma President J.P. Richard. "Oklahoma liquor law moves at such blinding speed as to leave local businessmen no opportunity to anticipate change and devise new ways to compete in the market."

OUthunder
1/31/2011, 04:09 PM
Lol, I lived in two states where Sam's Club had liquor stores. They sell pretty much the normal stuff that people drink. Now, if you're in the market for a specialty beer or liquor item, Sam's is not going to have that. As a matter of fact, I rarely used Sam's because they rarely had anything that I normally purchased. Now, if your looking for a a 48ct pack of Natty Lite, a gallon of Boones Farm, or Jack Daniels by the gallon, then Sam's will probably appeal to you.

The Naifeh guy sounds like a poop sniffer that is trying to scare the consumer. There will still be a market for liquor stores, however, as a consumer, you'll have a choice and some possible convenience as well.

soonerbrat
1/31/2011, 04:43 PM
I can say dick, but not dou-chebag? You kids have a weird concept of censorship.

there are people named dick. I don't know anyone named that other thing.

StoopTroup
1/31/2011, 05:17 PM
Once the price of liquor sky-rockets in this State....those of you who think this is good will be ready to have a vote on decreasing the prices.

Careful what you wish for.

This got voted down last time and initially I thought it was ashame but after the vote I realized it was best for it to get turned down. This time they have added some more greedy goodness to it to convince the bigger operations to go for it. The small operator and Neighborhood Package Store will be a thing of the past.

Those of you for Small Business....should probably vote no. Those of you who think prices will go down....I'm betting it won't. Read the damn thing before you vote this time.

The end of Bunghole Liquor is near.

OUMallen
1/31/2011, 05:19 PM
How will this raise prices?

Bourbon St Sooner
1/31/2011, 05:23 PM
Don't worry, I'm sure the good Baptists of Little Dixie, pockets stuffed with cash from the liquor lobby, will put a stop to this.

Canyonero
1/31/2011, 05:24 PM
at least allow liquor stores to sale cold beer.

StoopTroup
1/31/2011, 05:25 PM
Don't worry, I'm sure the good Baptists of Little Dixie, pockets stuffed with cash from the liquor lobby, will put a stop to this.

You can hardly find a Dance Instructor these days that is reasonable.

SpankyNek
1/31/2011, 05:25 PM
How will this raise prices?

It wont, Beta.

Check the prices at Specs.com (In Texas) for comparison.

I still don't buy beer at the grocery store BTW.

StoopTroup
1/31/2011, 05:26 PM
I always bought liquor in Oklahoma before traveling to Tejas. The prices there are insane.

Beer..not so much. They are a bit higher but not like liquor.

Bourbon St Sooner
1/31/2011, 05:29 PM
I always bought liquor in Oklahoma before traveling to Tejas. The prices there are insane.

Beer..not so much. They are a bit higher but not like liquor.

Did you ever think taxes might have something to do with that? texass doesn't have state income tax so they tax the **** out of everything else.

Ike
1/31/2011, 05:30 PM
Once the price of liquor sky-rockets in this State....those of you who think this is good will be ready to have a vote on decreasing the prices.

Careful what you wish for.

This got voted down last time and initially I thought it was ashame but after the vote I realized it was best for it to get turned down. This time they have added some more greedy goodness to it to convince the bigger operations to go for it. The small operator and Neighborhood Package Store will be a thing of the past.

Those of you for Small Business....should probably vote no. Those of you who think prices will go down....I'm betting it won't. Read the damn thing before you vote this time.

The end of Bunghole Liquor is near.

Since you are the one making the claim for prices to go up, please explain. It makes no sense. Even if all of the liquor stores go out of business (and they wont...some will, but not anywhere close to all), the big boxes and grocery stores will still compete with each other. Since consumers here are already used to having to go somewhere else to get the liquor, I'm sure they won't mind shopping around a bit. I fail to see how prices will go higher than their already high level in this state.

StoopTroup
1/31/2011, 05:33 PM
It wont, Beta.

Check the prices at Specs.com (In Texas) for comparison.

You're absolutely wrong.

Crown Royal 1.75 Specs = $47.99

That is one of the better prices I've seen in Texas but not near what I can buy it for at Fikes in Tulsa. The 750 ml is only 2 bucks or so cheaper than Fikes though. I am amazed at those prices....they have to be the best prices in Texas. Also....remember....Texas has dry Counties and there are many differences to how we run our Liquor here.

Again...be very careful folks. Read the damn thing before voting.

StoopTroup
1/31/2011, 05:38 PM
Since you are the one making the claim for prices to go up, please explain. It makes no sense. Even if all of the liquor stores go out of business (and they wont...some will, but not anywhere close to all), the big boxes and grocery stores will still compete with each other. Since consumers here are already used to having to go somewhere else to get the liquor, I'm sure they won't mind shopping around a bit. I fail to see how prices will go higher than their already high level in this state.

Niether does suddenly thinking that this is gonna be good for Oklahoma.

I'll explain once you've posted the complete Bill we are voting on. After getting a chance to read the bill...I'm betting plenty of things you think are good in the story won't seem as great. What you are seeing in the story is more than likely a way of softening up the voters prior to putting it on a ballot. They should show us the damn Bill for 6 months to a year before the vote.

Putting trust in any of our legislators is insane.

StoopTroup
1/31/2011, 05:55 PM
Listen to the current retailers. Although they do have a very nice situation....having someone else's Corporation have a crack at our dough might not benefit the State. I'd almost believe many of these folks might be getting kick backs to take a crack at QT and Loves lock on the Oklahoma Market.

Things won't be the same after letting another State have a crack at our Liquor and beer sales. Although I do think it would be nice if the pkg stores and the liquor Store could come to an agreement and make the situation better for the folks in Oklahoma that want change....I think it's sad that we will see so many local businesses go out of business.

This might be a positive for Drinkers.....but I have a bad feeling that it won't be good for Oklahoma.

I couldn't believe it when Frank Keating's Wife lost her election that they suddenly left our State after being such loyal residents.

Again....be careful of our Legislators. America has succumbed to people who have an agenda to be Professional Politicians and it's because we put to much trust in people we just don't know. Oklahoma's House and Senate should be full of people who are multi-generational Oklahomans. I understand that there are some folks who will move here for employment but IMO moving to a State to be a politician is as bad as electing a President from Kenya or Texas. :D

diegosooner
1/31/2011, 06:38 PM
Consumer is king.

delhalew
1/31/2011, 07:08 PM
Ive been waiting for this since I was a teenager. I'll wait to see a bill before I try to shoot it down.
BTW. Having to go to two different stores to get tequilla and limes, gin and olives, crown and coke is completely ****tarded

OUthunder
1/31/2011, 08:00 PM
The way I see it, if I can't afford an extra couples of bucks for a bottle of booze, then I probably don't need it in the first place.

MR2-Sooner86
1/31/2011, 08:09 PM
The following are beers on a Friday night I can't get at 9:01 PM and even if I do get them on time, they're hot.

http://drbristol.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/guinness_label-poster.jpg
http://www.twentysomething.com/images/samuel_adams_logo.jpg
http://www.2beerguys.com/images/forblog/leinenkugellogo.gif
http://www.brew-dudes.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/spaten-optimator.jpg
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_HmOrL1_X9jM/TBk7Ov4mV8I/AAAAAAAAAPA/FFsdUEKmXE4/s1600/Old_Speckled_Hen.jpg

Just to name a few.

I really don't give a damn if this is "bad" for Oklahoma, which I highly doubt. I don't give 3/4 of a flying **** if it puts a dent in liquor stores' business, even though they'll survive on fine wines. I want to be able to buy good beer, cold, anytime I want. I'm sick and tired of all the watered down horse p*ss options I'm forced to deal with.

Yes, I'm a beer snob who has taste and likes to enjoy the flavor while I'm getting buzzed. I mean don't get me wrong, Bud Lite is a fine beer, if you're still in high school.

prrriiide
1/31/2011, 08:23 PM
there are people named dick. I don't know anyone named that other thing.

Although there are some that have certainly earned the name.

sooner59
1/31/2011, 08:32 PM
I wouldn't mind them kicking back the liquor store closing time a little as well. Sometimes you are busy and not able to get to the liquor store before 9pm on Friday. And the solution is have to plan your weekend earlier in the week, which is....weak.

Pricetag
1/31/2011, 11:26 PM
Listen to the current retailers. Although they do have a very nice situation....having someone else's Corporation have a crack at our dough might not benefit the State. I'd almost believe many of these folks might be getting kick backs to take a crack at QT and Loves lock on the Oklahoma Market.
QT and Love's lock on what market? 3.2 beer?

I don't care about getting liquor in grocery and convenience stores, but I want to be rid of the 3.2 beer. I'm fine with the liquor stores getting coolers--them having to keep beer warm is one of the most inane/embarrassing aspects of Oklahoma liquor law.

GDC
2/1/2011, 10:45 AM
It is stupid I have to go to Arkansas or Texas to get Fat Tire, since the company only ships it cold.

OhU1
2/1/2011, 11:11 AM
Retail Liquor Association of Oklahoma President J.P. Richard said the proposed changes are unfair to small businesses because they remove a monopoly and cozy distributor relationship his group has come to love and enjoy. How will I be able to charge $12.00 for a 6 pack of beer when Target can fairly compete with me?

Richard said he has already met with several legislators to discuss his group's opposition to legislature that threatens his group's organized price control policies.

Wal-Mart came in and look what happened. Competition is bad said Richard. This country was founded on locals protecting locals. Besides, Oklahomans have become accustomed to bad beer and backwards policies, there is a quaintness people will miss if the legislature takes this away from us.

delhalew
2/1/2011, 11:37 AM
Retail Liquor Association of Oklahoma President J.P. Richard said the proposed changes are unfair to small businesses because they remove a monopoly and cozy distributor relationship his group has come to love and enjoy. How will I be able to charge $12.00 for a 6 pack of beer when Target can fairly compete with me?

Richard said he has already met with several legislators to discuss his group's opposition to legislature that threatens his group's organized price control policies.

Wal-Mart came in and look what happened. Competition is bad said Richard. This country was founded on locals protecting locals. Besides, Oklahomans have become accustomed to bad beer and backwards policies, there is a quaintness people will miss if the legislature takes this away from us.

Wtf...that guy has some cahones.

Pricetag
2/1/2011, 11:41 AM
To be fair, the quotes by us are translations, not his actual words.

OhU1
2/1/2011, 12:00 PM
I figure I am entitled to parody JP's remarks as I have personally spent over $10,000 at his store over the years (for lack of better options). Trust me, his is not a "small business" and he is not hurting.

Mississippi Sooner
2/1/2011, 12:18 PM
Just thinking about the states where I've lived where liquor was sold in grocery stores, I have to believe that if they allow it in Oklahoma, it will be the death of most of the independent retailers. I'm not aware of any stores in Florida or Nevada that just sell liquor. Why bother going to another store when you can just pick up what you want at Walmart?

I will also say that liquor prices in both of those states, even at places like Walmart, are pretty much in line with what I pay at package stores here in Mississippi. It may be because both of those states, like Texas, don't have a state income tax that they add extra taxes to liquor sales, but in the end it still seems like more of a convenience issue than anything.

As for beer sales, however, upping the alcohol content that grocery/convenience stores are allowed to sell can only be a good thing for people whose taste goes beyond Bud or Miller Lite. I never drank any of the micro or imported beers until I lived where you could buy them cold for a reasonable price. You have to really, really like a brand to pay $12 for a hot six pack.

Sooner5030
2/1/2011, 12:22 PM
not so much big vs small but one purpose of the original law was to keep personal liability as a motivator to not sell to minors. This is why you cannot incorporate a liquor store in OK. Although, these days I think Walmart and others will have every bit the controls in place to mitigate this. just saying to think about every 2nd and 3rd order effect of the change.

TUSooner
2/1/2011, 12:28 PM
Lol, I lived in two states where Sam's Club had liquor stores. They sell pretty much the normal stuff that people drink. Now, if you're in the market for a specialty beer or liquor item, Sam's is not going to have that. As a matter of fact, I rarely used Sam's because they rarely had anything that I normally purchased. Now, if your looking for a a 48ct pack of Natty Lite, a gallon of Boones Farm, or Jack Daniels by the gallon, then Sam's will probably appeal to you.

The Naifeh guy sounds like a poop sniffer that is trying to scare the consumer. There will still be a market for liquor stores, however, as a consumer, you'll have a choice and some possible convenience as well.

So very true. If Sam's booze department, with it's very limited selection and not-so-cheap prices, puts your liquor & wine shop out of business, then you just didn't have much of a shop to begin with.

C&CDean
2/1/2011, 01:15 PM
Over the weekend in San Francisco I bought a 750 of Tullamore Dew at the Walgreens across the street from the hotel. As it should be.

This deal here isn't even gonna offer that. You'll still have to go to a liquor store for your booze, they're just wanting wine in grocery stores and cold beer in the liquor stores. Nobody is going out of business.

Up here in DC/Virginia they have wine and beer in the grocery stores and POS ABC stores (Alcohol Beverage Control) for booze. The selection at the one closest to my apartment blows, and it's run by ****ing arabs. Like every other business up in this part of the world. Man DC is covered up in swarthy dark folk.

OUthunder
2/1/2011, 01:34 PM
Over the weekend in San Francisco I bought a 750 of Tullamore Dew at the Walgreens across the street from the hotel. As it should be.

This deal here isn't even gonna offer that. You'll still have to go to a liquor store for your booze, they're just wanting wine in grocery stores and cold beer in the liquor stores. Nobody is going out of business.

Up here in DC/Virginia they have wine and beer in the grocery stores and POS ABC stores (Alcohol Beverage Control) for booze. The selection at the one closest to my apartment blows, and it's run by ****ing arabs. Like every other business up in this part of the world. Man DC is covered up in swarthy dark folk.

Indeed and if you want a bag for your booze, they charge ya 5 or 10 cents. I was like WTF!?

C&CDean
2/1/2011, 01:47 PM
Indeed and if you want a bag for your booze, they charge ya 5 or 10 cents. I was like WTF!?

Yep. I bought a jar of peanut butter (extra-crunchy like a real man) at the CVS this morning at the self-checkout. Machine goes "how many bags would you like with that?" I push the button "1" and it goes "five-cents, thank you."

A nickel for a walmart sack.

Ike
2/1/2011, 02:04 PM
Just thinking about the states where I've lived where liquor was sold in grocery stores, I have to believe that if they allow it in Oklahoma, it will be the death of most of the independent retailers. I'm not aware of any stores in Florida or Nevada that just sell liquor. Why bother going to another store when you can just pick up what you want at Walmart?

I will also say that liquor prices in both of those states, even at places like Walmart, are pretty much in line with what I pay at package stores here in Mississippi. It may be because both of those states, like Texas, don't have a state income tax that they add extra taxes to liquor sales, but in the end it still seems like more of a convenience issue than anything.

As for beer sales, however, upping the alcohol content that grocery/convenience stores are allowed to sell can only be a good thing for people whose taste goes beyond Bud or Miller Lite. I never drank any of the micro or imported beers until I lived where you could buy them cold for a reasonable price. You have to really, really like a brand to pay $12 for a hot six pack.

I don't know much about Texas, or MS, but in IL I could buy a sixer of guinness for 7 bucks at the local grocery store, or at the liquor store a quarter mile away. Wine was pretty cheap at both. So was hard liquor. The only difference was that the liquor store stayed open later, and there were maybe some more specialty brands at the liquor store...but not many. Oh, and they both sold beer cold. Here, that same sixer of guinness costs at least 8 bucks, sometimes 9 or 10. And it ain't cold.

Bourbon St Sooner
2/1/2011, 02:06 PM
So very true. If Sam's booze department, with it's very limited selection and not-so-cheap prices, puts your liquor & wine shop out of business, then you just didn't have much of a shop to begin with.

Exactly, Wal-Mart's prices for Alcohol really aren't that great. I think Rite-Aid (drug store) down here has the best prices.