PDA

View Full Version : Great... More food in your gas coming soon

sappstuf
1/31/2011, 02:23 PM
This is 10 days old, but I don't remember seeing a thread on the topic.

EPA approves more ethanol in fuel for cars (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/01/21/AR2011012103163.html)

The agency said that 15 percent ethanol blended with gasoline is safe for cars and light-duty trucks manufactured between 2001 and 2006, expanding an October decision that the higher blend is safe for cars built since 2007. The maximum gasoline blend has been 10 percent ethanol.

Midtowner
1/31/2011, 02:27 PM
Dammit.

If ethanol can survive without ricockulous ag subsidies, fine. But as it is, the system is nothing but a payout to special interests in the Midwest.

soonerscuba
1/31/2011, 02:27 PM
It's time to move the Iowa primary.

Boomer.....
1/31/2011, 02:30 PM
Let's just water down the gas even more. :mad:

okie52
1/31/2011, 02:31 PM
This is 10 days old, but I don't remember seeing a thread on the topic.

Talk about stupidity.

DIB
1/31/2011, 02:38 PM
Corn ethanol is by far the least efficient ethanol. The only thing that makes it even remotely viable is government subsidies.

If we have to use ethanol, at least use switchgrass.

87sooner
1/31/2011, 03:17 PM
yeah....i like the old plan where we give all our money to the ****ing ragheads instead of american companies/farmers....

okie52
1/31/2011, 03:21 PM
yeah....i like the old plan where we give all our money to the ****ing ragheads instead of american companies/farmers....

Yeah, nothing like buying an American deadend boondoggle.

DIB
1/31/2011, 03:21 PM

Why should we do either? And lets not pretend that the government is help out Joe Farmer. Most of the money goes to corporate farms.

soonercruiser
1/31/2011, 03:23 PM

It's not that!
It's the damage that it does to the market for corn; cost of corn products; and therefore starving people around the globe.

Besides....surely the government wouldn't tell us that something is OK, if it really isn't.....would they....???? :rolleyes:
All the auto techies I know say ethanol is crap for engines and gas mileage.

I like corn!....to eat on the cob!

1890MilesToNorman
1/31/2011, 03:23 PM
How is this good when everyone has to buy additives for all small engines in the country to keep them from seizing up? ****ed up **** I say!!!

87sooner
1/31/2011, 03:24 PM
Why should we do either? And lets not pretend that the government is help out Joe Farmer. Most of the money goes to corporate farms.

actually all the subsidies go to the ethanol companies...
it creates demand for corn....which drives up the price....and farmers make a decent profit/living...

could you provide a link to just ONE "corporate" farm?
and a link to prove "most of the money" goes there?

REDREX
1/31/2011, 03:25 PM
The really funny thing about Ethanol is that most of the people making it have gone broke---It is a stupid program

87sooner
1/31/2011, 03:26 PM
It's not that!
It's the damage that it does to the market for corn; cost of corn products; and therefore starving people around the globe.

Besides....surely the government wouldn't tell us that something is OK, if it really isn't.....would they....???? :rolleyes:
All the auto techies I know say ethanol is crap for engines and gas mileage.

I like corn!....to eat on the cob!

those "auto techies" are some of the most highly educated/intelligent folks in society today...

royalfan5
1/31/2011, 03:28 PM
actually all the subsidies go to the ethanol companies...
it creates demand for corn....which drives up the price....and farmers make a decent profit/living...

could you provide a link to just ONE "corporate" farm?
and a link to prove "most of the money" goes there?

The subsidies go to the blender, who is mostly likely an oil company.

royalfan5
1/31/2011, 03:31 PM
The really funny thing about Ethanol is that most of the people making it have gone broke---It is a stupid program

Outside of Verasun, Altra, and Aventine very few producers have went broke. And Verasun and Aventine where mostly due to non-ethanol factors.

87sooner
1/31/2011, 03:32 PM
The subsidies go to the blender, who is mostly likely an oil company.

the blenders get "credits"...
the subsidies go to the ethanol producer....

royalfan5
1/31/2011, 03:32 PM
Corn ethanol is by far the least efficient ethanol. The only thing that makes it even remotely viable is government subsidies.

If we have to use ethanol, at least use switchgrass.

Switchgrass would displace a lot of food acress too, and not yield high quality livestock feed as a by-product.

royalfan5
1/31/2011, 03:33 PM
the blenders get "credits"...
the subsidies go to the ethanol producer....

The subsidies are are neglible in the bottom line of the producer.

87sooner
1/31/2011, 03:36 PM
Switchgrass would displace a lot of food acress too, and not yield high quality livestock feed as a by-product.

switchgrass can be grown on acres not suitable for corn/grain production...

DIB
1/31/2011, 03:40 PM

Indeed. Switchgrass is more efficient (it requires less energy to turn into ethanol than corn) and can be grown on land not suitable for food production.

Breadburner
1/31/2011, 03:41 PM

This....

royalfan5
1/31/2011, 03:42 PM

Intensive switchgrass production is very hard of the soil, not easily mechanized for transport, and if you are wanting to use acres not suitable for grain production, you are going drive up livestock prices. Switchgrass is a red herring, and probably will be never feasible for large scale ethanol production. Corn stover is a more viable alternative than switchgrass, but still problematic.

DIB
1/31/2011, 03:47 PM
Intensive switchgrass production is very hard of the soil, not easily mechanized for transport, and if you are wanting to use acres not suitable for grain production, you are going drive up livestock prices. Switchgrass is a red herring, and probably will be never feasible for large scale ethanol production. Corn stover is a more viable alternative than switchgrass, but still problematic.

Sugar ethanol would be ideal if we didn't put tariffs on sugar imports.

DIB
1/31/2011, 03:47 PM
Big Corn is one of the most dangerous lobbies in America.

Sooner5030
1/31/2011, 03:48 PM
sweet potatoes and Jerusalem Artichokes have a very good yield per acre and not as bothered by a freeze as korn.

royalfan5
1/31/2011, 03:51 PM
Sugar ethanol would be ideal if we didn't put tariffs on sugar imports.

Have you noticed sugar prices lately? Brazil has been using corn ethanol to fill export contracts because it is less expensive due to rise of sugar prices.

yermom
1/31/2011, 03:59 PM
Big Corn is one of the most dangerous lobbies in America.

maybe they can make gas out of HFCS :mad:

royalfan5
1/31/2011, 04:09 PM
maybe they can make gas out of HFCS :mad:

Many of the wet mills that make HFCS do swing back and forth to ethanol production.

Tiptonsooner
1/31/2011, 04:10 PM
Here's a novel idea, how bout we use ****ing oil to make gasoline. Good old American drilled oil.

OUthunder
1/31/2011, 04:14 PM
Here's a novel idea, how bout we use ****ing oil to make gasoline. Good old American drilled oil.

The liberals are against hurting the ground, however, they have no problem killing an unborn fetus.

Discuss.

87sooner
1/31/2011, 04:23 PM
Many of the wet mills that make HFCS do swing back and forth to ethanol production.

a relative in nebraska told me recently that the ethanol plant where he works is now producing alcohol that is being shipped to mexico....for consumption..

royalfan5
1/31/2011, 04:25 PM
a relative in nebraska told me recently that the ethanol plant where he works is now producing alcohol that is being shipped to mexico....for consumption..

Some plants do that periodically. Does he work for the one in Trenton?

okie52
1/31/2011, 04:25 PM

Ethanol's best use (and Chu agrees).

87sooner
1/31/2011, 04:30 PM
Some plants do that periodically. Does he work for the one in Trenton?

yes...pretty sure that's the one.

soonerbrat
1/31/2011, 04:32 PM
all I know is that when I use ethanol gasoline, my car's engine light comes on. My car does. not. want.

also, it wears out the gaskets and other parts faster.

soonerbrat
1/31/2011, 04:34 PM
and I found this, too.

Question: How Does Ethanol Performance Compare to Gasoline?
Ethanol is widely available and reasonably inexpensive, but what kind of performance can drivers expect from a car running on ethanol or an ethanol/gasoline blend?

Answer: One gallon of pure ethanol contains about 66 percent as much energy as a gallon of gasoline. A gallon of E85, a common blend of 85 percent ethanol and 15 percent gasoline, contains about 71 percent as much energy as a gallon of unblended gasoline.

Bourbon St Sooner
1/31/2011, 05:07 PM
Everybody hates government subsidies, except for the one that goes to them.

soonercruiser
1/31/2011, 06:04 PM
and I found this, too.

Question: How Does Ethanol Performance Compare to Gasoline?
Ethanol is widely available and reasonably inexpensive, but what kind of performance can drivers expect from a car running on ethanol or an ethanol/gasoline blend?

Answer: One gallon of pure ethanol contains about 66 percent as much energy as a gallon of gasoline. A gallon of E85, a common blend of 85 percent ethanol and 15 percent gasoline, contains about 71 percent as much energy as a gallon of unblended gasoline.

That's what I was alluding to in my earlier post.
In effect, people who use ethanol and gas, are having to burn and use a lot more gasoline!
DUH!

Flagstaffsooner
1/31/2011, 09:07 PM
I misread the title. I though it said more gas in your food.

http://img4.myrecipes.com/i/recipes/ck/06/04/baked-beans-ck-1173771-l.jpg

soonercruiser
1/31/2011, 11:50 PM
I misread the title. I though it said more gas in your food.

http://img4.myrecipes.com/i/recipes/ck/06/04/baked-beans-ck-1173771-l.jpg

EXACTLY!
If they want to produce more and less expensive gas - start with something Mexican!
:D

soonerbrat
2/1/2011, 12:31 AM
That's what I was alluding to in my earlier post.
In effect, people who use ethanol and gas, are having to burn and use a lot more gasoline!
DUH!

maybe the way it was explained in the article that I read was more clear and easier to understand.

SoonerNate
2/1/2011, 12:57 AM
I never saw ethanol free gas until I visited up there last year. You can't find it here. I wish you could though.