PDA

View Full Version : Kinda like what happened in Cuba on the eve of Castro's victory

Okla-homey
1/30/2011, 07:24 AM
from the Associated Press

Families of Egyptian businessmen leave Cairo
By TAREK EL-TABLAWY , 01.29.11, 05:47 PM EST

CAIRO -- An official at Cairo airport says 19 private jets carrying families of wealthy Egyptian and Arab businessmen have flown out of the capital.

The official said the jets left Saturday carrying dozens of family members of Egypt's business elite. He said most of the planes were headed for Dubai.

The passengers included the families of telecom mogul Naguib Sawiris, the executive chairman of Orascom Telecom, and Hussein Salem, a hotel tycoon and close confidant of President Hosni Mubarak.

The exodus of the families comes as Egypt enters its sixth day of mass unrest directed against Mubarak and what they say have been policies that further enrich the wealthy at the average citizen's expense.

The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to brief the media.

Jammin'
1/30/2011, 08:08 AM
The exodus of the families comes as Egypt enters its sixth day of mass unrest directed against Mubarak and what they say have been policies that further enrich the wealthy at the average citizen's expense.

So Egypt kept the Bush tax cuts too? Good to see their general population has some balls.

pphilfran
1/30/2011, 08:19 AM
So Egypt kept the Bush tax cuts too? Good to see their general population has some balls.

LOL...the Clinton tax increase and the Bush tax cut didn't do chit to change actual tax revenue...and has even less to do with increased salaries to the wealthy...

Okla-homey
1/30/2011, 09:19 AM
It could be that Mubarek is keeping the cops and military on the chain until it gets really bad. At that time, there will be mass appeal to restore order. Mubarek then gets to put the smack-down on the uprising and afterwards say to the people, "see, I told you this country needs me."

If that's his plan, he better be uber-careful in choosing the precise moment to release the hounds. If he waits too long, it may be too late.

I predict this will not end well. Could end up with islamo-militants hijacking this revolution as happened in Iran.

pphilfran
1/30/2011, 09:30 AM
It could be that Mubarek is keeping the cops and military on the chain until it gets really bad. At that time, there will be mass appeal to restore order. Mubarek then gets to put the smack-down on the uprising and afterwards say to the people, "see, I told you this country needs me."

If that's his plan, he better be uber-careful in choosing the precise moment to release the hounds. If he waits too long, it may be too late.

I predict this will not end well. Could end up with islamo-militants hijacking this revolution as happened in Iran.

I don't think he has a snowballs chance in hell of staying in power...

This has terrible timing..as if any time would be good...

This isn't just bad for Egypt it is also bad for all the Middle East and the rest of the world...

Questions about leadership in one of the more stable ME countries could (will) lead to speculation in the markets...

Dollar should rise in value...crude, even in the face of a rising dollar will probably climb above 100..stocks will tank...

Gas prices will hit 3.50 a gallon or higher...

Rebounding economy will stall...

A new "greatest recession since the depression" could be in the cards....

Chuck Bao
1/30/2011, 10:55 AM

This isn't just bad for Egypt it is also bad for all the Middle East and the rest of the world...

Questions about leadership in one of the more stable ME countries could (will) lead to speculation in the markets...

Dollar should rise in value...crude, even in the face of a rising dollar will probably climb above 100..stocks will tank...

I am not as concerned about global financial markets' knee-jerk reaction to the popular uprising in Egypt as I am that it will be used as an excuse to impose further restrictions on personal freedom and privacy throughout the world. Already, there was a growing opinion among the world’s intelligentsia that democracy really doesn’t work (read: poses a threat to the “powers that be”). Without a doubt, support staff of dictatorships (and democratically-elected governments) throughout the world spent the weekend writing updated reports about their own internet filter/switch buttons.

jkjsooner
1/30/2011, 11:10 AM

Saving this as a response to Tuba and RLIMC who'll blame it all on Obama if this happens.

Cornfed
1/30/2011, 02:27 PM

Do you ever look outside....

KABOOKIE
1/30/2011, 02:40 PM
Mmmmm. So does Barak invite his mooslem brother to come hide out in the US further enraging the islamo nuts to the point of over taking the US Embassy?

Man this is like 1979 all over again.

Blue
1/30/2011, 03:33 PM
Saving this as a response to Tuba and RLIMC who'll blame it all on Obama if this happens.

Or the markets were already severely overbought and this is just an excuse to tank them.

There never was a recovery. Just fake money pumped into the system.

SoonerStormchaser
1/30/2011, 03:50 PM
The biggest question is gonna be shipping due to possible disruption in Suez access.

soonerbub
1/30/2011, 05:26 PM
$3.50/gallon??? Try $10 if (and when) this spreads to the house of Saud

all I can say is this ****storm is happening a year early

and as for Mubarak waiting?? **** he has NO power now since El Baradei is among the mob now

the saddest part is the looting of the mummies...won't someone please think of the mummies??? 4,000 yrs of history down the drain thanks to the false prophet

Blue
1/30/2011, 05:44 PM
Uh oh...running out of food. http://www.aina.org/news/20110130163441.htm

neighbors prob called them tinfoil hat kooks if they tried to stock up...;)

yermom
1/30/2011, 05:46 PM
when they run out of food, that's when the real fun begins...

Okla-homey
1/30/2011, 05:53 PM
when they run out of food, that's when the real fun begins...

Not to worry. Those priceless antiquities in the Cairo Antiquities Museum will bring a pretty penny. I imagine King Tut's game jerseys alone would bring a million or so each.

Blue
1/30/2011, 05:54 PM
The biggest question is gonna be shipping due to possible disruption in Suez access.

Gas over 4-5 a gallon will cripple us.

Blue
1/30/2011, 05:55 PM
Not to worry. Those priceless antiquities in the Cairo Antiquities Museum will bring a pretty penny. I imagine King Tut's game jerseys alone would bring a million or so each.

Heh. Seriously though I heard the museums were safe for now being protected by police and the people. I hope thats true.

soonercruiser
1/31/2011, 12:02 AM
Dang!
You woulda thought Wikileaks would have warned us.
:rolleyes:

sooner59
1/31/2011, 12:20 AM
Resigning

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110131/ap_on_re_mi_ea/ml_egypt_protest

Cornfed
1/31/2011, 12:21 AM

Naw we'll pay it we'll just spend less elsewhere.

Blue
1/31/2011, 12:32 AM
Naw we'll pay it we'll just spend less elsewhere.

Just talking about transportation costs along with already rising food costs. 150 dollar a barrel oil and 4-5 dollar gas was one of the main culprits in 2008 that almost sent us over the cliff.

150 dollar barrel of oil effects everything. Most everything is made from petroleum.

Blue
1/31/2011, 12:35 AM
Resigning

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110131/ap_on_re_mi_ea/ml_egypt_protest

Who is resigning? The guy is like a spoiled child with his favorite toy. It doesn't look like he's going anywhere.

I'm not a fan of radical islamists but Mubarrak needs to go. People are dying and he won't just let go. They don't want him.

bigfatjerk
1/31/2011, 12:45 AM

Gas prices in Europe are already at about double or triple areas in the US. Our new Energy Secretary Stephen Chu said this in 2008:

Somehow we have to figure out how to boost the price of gasoline to the levels in Europe

That basically means raising our gas prices to about 8-9 dollars per gallon. Which is basically what they pay for gas over there. They use the metric system over there so the prices don't look quite as bad if you actually research but that's the equivalent if you translate it to dollars and gallons. If anyone is for chaos that could happen with millions of people if raising gas prices double and triple the price of goods because of how expensive it would make just about everything. This could cause another Great Depression because it'll price so many people out of jobs.

Herbert Hoover and FDR tried to do the same thing above raising the price of goods and control pricing of everything. It ended up pricing people out of jobs.

Cornfed
1/31/2011, 12:53 AM
Just talking about transportation costs along with already rising food costs. 150 dollar a barrel oil and 4-5 dollar gas was one of the main culprits in 2008 that almost sent us over the cliff.

150 dollar barrel of oil effects everything. Most everything is made from petroleum.

Factoring in inflation remember about 5 years back when gas approached 4 dollors a gallon ?

Looking back at the data when gas in the past had reached 4.12 national average the price of a barrel of oil was only 78 $.

sooner59
1/31/2011, 01:06 AM
Who is resigning? The guy is like a spoiled child with his favorite toy. It doesn't look like he's going anywhere.

I'm not a fan of radical islamists but Mubarrak needs to go. People are dying and he won't just let go. They don't want him.

Yeah, doesn't say that he will. I just figured he would. Its gonna keep getting worse. And the longer he stays in, the crazier its gonna get.

Blue
1/31/2011, 01:11 AM
Factoring in inflation remember about 5 years back when gas approached 4 dollors a gallon ?

Looking back at the data when gas in the past had reached 4.12 national average the price of a barrel of oil was only 78 $.

Huh? The price per barrel was around 150 for about 6 months in 08.

yermom
1/31/2011, 03:45 AM
yeah, gas dropped a bit when oil crashed, but it didn't seem to drop near as much as it spikes when oil goes up...

King Barry's Back
1/31/2011, 06:44 AM

Don't be so pessimistic. Not all those things are necessarily going to happen. But some of them will.

Aldebaran
1/31/2011, 10:10 AM
http://inlinethumb17.webshots.com/8976/2592046720103337721S425x425Q85.jpg

Fox News makes me laugh.. Just stick Egypt wherever.

:texan:

3rdgensooner
1/31/2011, 10:48 AM

Wow, what the?!?!?

yermom
1/31/2011, 12:21 PM
dude, seriously?

SoonerJack
1/31/2011, 12:29 PM

:texan:

Pretty sure we've seen that one before. :rolleyes:

Blue
2/3/2011, 02:35 AM
Damn. Don't ever give your guns up, people. And don't think it can't happen here.

sooner59
2/3/2011, 03:46 AM
I have plenty. And no, I won't ever give them up. ;)

lexsooner
2/3/2011, 04:00 PM
If it was only so easy as to get in a boat and head for Miami. Where's Fredo? Salud, salud, salud . . .

jkjsooner
2/3/2011, 04:26 PM

I'm calling B.S. on this. Oil prices may have been a spark that lit the dynamite but it was not the dynamite itself. The problem was:

1. Housing buyers, for many reasons including a belief that house prices never fall, paid far beyond what they could truly afford for a house and by extension much more than the house would normally be worth.

2. Housing prices finally stopped appreciating and the first wave of mortgage rate resets kicked in. Both of these in a feedback loop resulted in defaults.

3. Banks started feeling financial strain from the defaults. Their mathematical models assumed house prices would never fall. They failed to realize that their own behavior (and the resulting bubble it created) created a situation that made the assumptions used in their mathematical models to be invalidated.

4. Many of the banks / investment houses were highly leveraged and they began failing. This has a cascading effect throughout the financial industry.

That very simplistic. The point is that there were huge structural flaws in the system. This house of cards was going to fall whether we had high fuel costs or not. Maybe it would have been a few months or a year later but the trouble was not caused by high fuel prices...

pphilfran
2/3/2011, 04:42 PM
I'm calling B.S. on this. Oil prices may have been a spark that lit the dynamite but it was not the dynamite itself. The problem was:

1. Housing buyers, for many reasons including a belief that house prices never fall, paid far beyond what they could truly afford for a house and by extension much more than the house would normally be worth.

2. Housing prices finally stopped appreciating and the first wave of mortgage rate resets kicked in. Both of these in a feedback loop resulted in defaults.

3. Banks started feeling financial strain from the defaults. Their mathematical models assumed house prices would never fall. They failed to realize that their own behavior (and the resulting bubble it created) created a situation that made the assumptions used in their mathematical models to be invalidated.

4. Many of the banks / investment houses were highly leveraged and they began failing. This has a cascading effect throughout the financial industry.

That very simplistic. The point is that there were huge structural flaws in the system. This house of cards was going to fall whether we had high fuel costs or not. Maybe it would have been a few months or a year later but the trouble was not caused by high fuel prices...

Don't forget 100% loans and interest only payment options...

yermom
2/3/2011, 04:43 PM
i'm still pretty sure that the impact of gas prices spiking on people commuting in their SUV's from their suburbs and over budgeted interest only/ARM financed houses had a lot to do with the beginning of the bust of the housing bubble

pphilfran
2/3/2011, 04:47 PM
i'm still pretty sure that the impact of gas prices spiking on people commuting in their SUV's from their suburbs and over budgeted interest only/ARM financed houses had a lot to do with the beginning of the bust of the housing bubble

Only because of the 100% no interest loans to people that stretched their budget to afford the home with the teaser rates...

The average Joe drives 10k per year...500 gallons a year...10 gallons a week...if a buck or buck and a half per gallon caused them to go under there were other significant causes besides gas prices.....

jkjsooner
2/3/2011, 04:53 PM
Only because of the 100% no interest loans to people that stretched their budget to afford the home with the teaser rates...

The average Joe drives 10k per year...500 gallons a year...10 gallons a week...if a buck or buck and a half per gallon caused them to go under there were other significant causes besides gas prices.....

I agree. Plus, there were stories everywhere about fruit pickers in California buying $750k houses. Once they started paying the full price of their house and realized that the house wasn't going to make them rich, I doubt they worried too much about paying $4 a gallon. They had a lot bigger issues to worry about.

bigfatjerk
2/3/2011, 05:31 PM

Wouldn't raising gas prices raise almost everything else? Not just because of the many things we buy that use oil, but also because how are foods going to travel to places? Those things have to use gas to get to your stores.

pphilfran
2/3/2011, 05:38 PM
Wouldn't raising gas prices raise almost everything else? Not just because of the many things we buy that use oil, but also because how are foods going to travel to places? Those things have to use gas to get to your stores.

Yes, to some degree....but core inflation has been nill....if 4 or 5 hundred a month caused people to go into default, then they bought too f'n much house...