PDA

View Full Version : Williams Fastest Sooner????

Al Gore
1/29/2011, 09:59 AM
I heard Brandon Williams tested out as one of the fastest Sooners. I believe AD's fastest was 4.38 in the combine. I wonder who the fastest Sooner ever was? I know testing technology has changed. When I was young, I remember Anthony Stafford and Andre Johnson (I think that was his name? Dback that caught someone from behind on a long run. I remember the tv screen only having the the runner on the screen then all of a sudden, Johnson appears and tackles him. He was later in a car accident?).

If this is true on Williams....could be exciting....

texaspokieokie
1/29/2011, 11:08 AM
stafford was very fast.

Breadburner
1/29/2011, 11:15 AM
Marcus Dupree

sooner59
1/29/2011, 11:37 AM
Landry Jones torched Nebraska on that bootleg...

TheBobbyTrain
1/29/2011, 11:43 AM
I recall a sprint on a fake punt from a backup QB named Hunter Wall. You almost didn't need a sundial to time it.

Rocko
1/29/2011, 11:48 AM
Jokes aside (because I don't have any) this is exciting.

gaylordfan1
1/29/2011, 12:03 PM
So where is this info coming from?

adoniijahsooner
1/29/2011, 12:03 PM
Jokes aside (because I don't have any) this is exciting.

He will be the starter sometime in the fall. The guy is relentless, very little wasted motion when he runs, and if there is a crease....goodnight!

http://rivals.yahoo.com/video/recruiting-football/Brandon-Williams-Highlights-2-59697

adoniijahsooner
1/29/2011, 12:10 PM
So where is this info coming from?

idk...I know this is the second time I heard that he was testing off the charts.

adoniijahsooner
1/29/2011, 12:14 PM
“I expect to just come in and put in some work and try to start my freshman year and try to beat all the other running backs out,” he said.

Soonermagik
1/29/2011, 12:27 PM
Moe Dampeer

TahoeSOONER
1/29/2011, 12:47 PM
“I expect to just come in and put in some work and try to start my freshman year and try to beat all the other running backs out,” he said.

It's going to take some magic to beat out the other backs but that's the right mindset. Stoops will put the best guy out there regardless and it wouldn't suprise me to see him get some carries.

Soonermagik
1/29/2011, 12:57 PM
It's going to take some magic to beat out the other backs but that's the right mindset. Stoops will put the best guy out there regardless and it wouldn't suprise me to see him get some carries.

Agree!! They have Jonathan Miller, Clay, Calhoun & Finch who have more experience in the system. I think the same holds true for the 5 star receiver coming in. There are just too many guys who have been here longer. This team is stacked at RB & WR.

The vast majority of guys can't come from High School and contribute right away. It takes time to learn the system and earn the trust of the coaches.

rekamrettuB
1/29/2011, 01:17 PM
He's got some quicks and speed for sure but he doesn't seem to break too many tackles. He obviously didn't need to break too many in those clipsl.

85sooners
1/29/2011, 01:21 PM
:eek:

Rocko
1/29/2011, 01:29 PM
With the amount of RB we have, do the coaches find a way to utilize the 3rd and 4th on the depth chart? Surely they're talented enough to make plays, so why waste their talent?

sperry
1/29/2011, 01:38 PM
There's a reasonable chance he ends up starting. Finch is injury prone, Calhoun and Miller will be seeing their first game action since major knee injuries, and Clay certainly didn't establish himself as someone unlikely to be passed on the depth chart. If Williams is as good as advertised, he likely starts.

1sooners1
1/29/2011, 01:42 PM
Stafford

BusterRhymes86
1/29/2011, 02:12 PM
There's a reasonable chance he ends up starting. Finch is injury prone, Calhoun and Miller will be seeing their first game action since major knee injuries, and Clay certainly didn't establish himself as someone unlikely to be passed on the depth chart. If Williams is as good as advertised, he likely starts.

I agree 100%...We dont have anyone that cant be beat out.

Widescreen
1/29/2011, 02:29 PM
He will be the starter sometime in the fall. The guy is relentless, very little wasted motion when he runs, and if there is a crease....goodnight!

http://rivals.yahoo.com/video/recruiting-football/Brandon-Williams-Highlights-2-59697

I guess the question is if we can create a crease.

oudavid1
1/29/2011, 02:30 PM
Landry Jones torched Nebraska on that bootleg...

Greatest
play
ever

EVAR!!!!

adoniijahsooner
1/29/2011, 02:38 PM
Greatest
play
ever

EVAR!!!!

We have a duel:D
http://cdn.faniq.com/images/blog/52d068e80f2e3d36b3e79dff8766010f.jpg

tcrb
1/29/2011, 02:51 PM
I guess the question is if we can create a crease.

Ta da!!!!! We have a winner......if ya don't make a hole up front, it doesn't matter who, or how fast the RB is.

Cornfed
1/29/2011, 03:01 PM
Ta da!!!!! We have a winner......if ya don't make a hole up front, it doesn't matter who, or how fast the RB is.

Unless he's the Flash. ....litteraly

gaylordfan1
1/29/2011, 05:10 PM
I still think Finch and Miller will be the two splitting carries. But it all depends on their off season progress. We will not know until the first game. And that sucks.

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/29/2011, 05:27 PM
Rickey Dixon was pretty fast. Greg Pruitt and Joe Washington always seemed really fast.

101sooner
1/29/2011, 05:38 PM
Andre Johnson was super fast before the car crash. That crash happened over next to the railroad tracks close to Main St. Keith Stanberry was in the car with him. Thier little sports car cut a telephone poll in half and ended up crushed and upside down. Johnson tracked that 'Horn running back from across the field in that BS 15-15 tie game. The crash happened after we lost to Kansas (Aikman started for us).

But Andre Johnson had some serious wheels. He could have been a great one.

Al Gore
1/29/2011, 06:05 PM
I think Clay will surprise us this year.....

Al Gore
1/29/2011, 06:06 PM
Andre Johnson was super fast before the car crash. That crash happened over next to the railroad tracks close to Main St. Keith Stanberry was in the car with him. Thier little sports car cut a telephone poll in half and ended up crushed and upside down. Johnson tracked that 'Horn running back from across the field in that BS 15-15 tie game. The crash happened after we lost to Kansas (Aikman started for us).

But Andre Johnson had some serious wheels. He could have been a great one.
That is the play I must remember....

OldTimeSooner
1/29/2011, 06:07 PM
I believe I remember talk about Bobby Grayson running the fastest 40 by any Big 8 player ever around 1980. Thirty years ago, so his time has probably been bettered since.

101sooner
1/29/2011, 06:31 PM
That is the play I must remember....

I was at that game and I also drove up on the car crash before the Fire Department got on seen. They had to cut them out of the car with the jaws of life.

But I remember the OU fans cheering after he made that tackle because that 'Horn was gone and no way was anyone gonna catch him and Johnson just few across the field. Even though it was a long run, maybe 30-40 yards, the Oklahoma crowd was fired up over that play.

But in the end, the three blind mice took the game from us and the rest is history.

cccasooner2
1/29/2011, 06:48 PM
Agree!! They have Jonathan Miller, Clay, Calhoun & Finch who have more experience in the system. I think the same holds true for the 5 star receiver coming in. There are just too many guys who have been here longer. This team is stacked at RB & WR.

The vast majority of guys can't come from High School and contribute right away. It takes time to learn the system and earn the trust of the coaches.

I dunno, other posters say we are a team of cripples at those positions.

Soonermagik
1/29/2011, 08:47 PM
I dunno, other posters say we are a team of cripples at those positions.

Said posters are likely still hitching rides from Mom and Dad to the mall. :D

Sooners78
1/29/2011, 10:28 PM
Jerry Parks ran down Barry from behind in 88. He made Sanders look slow on that play. Not that Barry had blazing speed, but he wasn't slow either.

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/30/2011, 03:34 AM
Did you know that the slowest kicker in the SEC runs a 4.5 fourty?

SouthFortySooner
1/30/2011, 03:54 AM
200 meter state champion in Texas.

texaspokieokie
1/30/2011, 08:54 AM
Rickey Dixon was pretty fast. Greg Pruitt and Joe Washington always seemed really fast.

just going by old time memory. Washington wasn't as fast as Pruitt.

fossil
1/30/2011, 09:07 AM
Greatest
play
ever

EVAR!!!!

:D Ummmmm.......your SOURCE please!! :D :D :D :D :D

adoniijahsooner
1/30/2011, 10:37 AM

Miller and Calhoun are coming off of injuries. Clay & Finch will be here only a semester longer than Brandon Williams, and Finch is hurt, and has been hurt practically half the season. Right now BW and Clay are the healthiest we have at the position. Watch that video if you get the chance, and you will see something that not many young runningbacks do; and that is set up and follow your blocks. This guy is fast, but he is very patient setting up his blocks, then hitting the hole in a hurry. He is a complete back.

birddog
1/30/2011, 08:42 PM

that's crazy. don't care what the other team is throwing out there. splitting those dudes and then gliding past em.

i don't follow recruiting but i've watched a few vids from around here and this guy stand out.

bixby28
1/30/2011, 09:05 PM

The Demarco Murray of 2007 was as fast as anyone I've watched at OU in a while.

gaylordfan1
1/30/2011, 09:12 PM
I encourage everyone to go back and watch Murrays high school highlights. The kid was insane. He definitely changed his running style since then.

lexsooner
1/30/2011, 09:12 PM
So who is the fastest player on the team? Finch is pretty darn fast. I saw him run down that Missouri lineman who intercepted the pass and Finch looked like the fastest player on the field by far. Or is it one of those freshman receivers from this past season? Or Williams?

picasso
1/30/2011, 09:18 PM
Currently? I'd bet on Trey Franks.

adoniijahsooner
1/30/2011, 09:28 PM

that's crazy. don't care what the other team is throwing out there. splitting those dudes and then gliding past em.

i don't follow recruiting but i've watched a few vids from around here and this guy stand out.

I know right...that run was insane! First time I've seen some stuff like that.

adoniijahsooner
1/30/2011, 09:31 PM
So who is the fastest player on the team? Finch is pretty darn fast. I saw him run down that Missouri lineman who intercepted the pass and Finch looked like the fastest player on the field by far. Or is it one of those freshman receivers from this past season? Or Williams?

I heard it was Stills and J-Nel. With JNel being gone, I'm guessing its stills.

oubose
1/30/2011, 09:47 PM
Stafford/Dupree

WestLakeHillsSooner
1/31/2011, 03:12 PM
Anthony Stafford.

Staff was a blur.

Mad Dog Madsen
1/31/2011, 03:59 PM
I'm lovin' the hair! :D

SOONER STEAKER
1/31/2011, 04:04 PM
Fastest I've seen was Da'Mond Parker, he hit the corner and puff, he's in the endzone sipping a slurpy.

Howzit
1/31/2011, 04:44 PM
Coach Switzer told a story about Stafford being a HS track state champion. He asked Stafford what event he had won, and Stafford answered (paraphrased), "Coach, I won the 100, the 200, the 400, and if they'd had a 300 I'da won that too."

ouleaf
1/31/2011, 05:28 PM

What about Colvin? Seems like he has pretty good jets when he filled in those few games.

Mark Bradley and Mark Clayton both had some great speed when they were at their fastest.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/31/2011, 07:39 PM
just going by old time memory. Washington wasn't as fast as Pruitt.Washington had more moves, but Pruitt was a freakin' BLUR!

cccasooner2
1/31/2011, 07:49 PM
Recruited, it was DaBryan Blanton, but he never did put on a FB uniform to my knowledge. Mookie Salaam just surpassed Blanton's records but was not recruited for FB.

bixby28
1/31/2011, 07:59 PM
What about Colvin? Seems like he has pretty good jets when he filled in those few games.

Mark Bradley and Mark Clayton both had some great speed when they were at their fastest.

I forgot about Bradley. He didn't get the ball, when compared to Clayton and T. Wilson, much, but the guy was blazing fast. I remember Brent Venables talking to Al Escbach (sp.?) about who was the fastest guy on the team and Venables said Bradley was the first guy who came to mind.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/31/2011, 08:03 PM
The Demarco Murray of 2007 was as fast as anyone I've watched at OU in a while.He had the best features of Joe Washington and Greg Pruitt, but never got back to that freshman form.

GDC
1/31/2011, 11:04 PM
YXTMK229RiU

Patrick Collins was pretty fast, and Elvis Peacock ran a 9.4 100 yard dash.

http://blog.newsok.com/berrytramel/2010/05/13/switzer-tales-recruiting-elvis-peack/

adoniijahsooner
2/3/2011, 06:42 AM
Stoops: "Brandon is really special, I tell ya, it's exciting"

adoniijahsooner
2/3/2011, 06:43 AM
The guy will be special

Approximately 70 percent of the Oklahoma rushing attack is gone with the departure of future NFL draft pick DeMarco Murray. Yes, there are other backs Williams will compete with for playing time, but his size and speed combination clearly is at another level. He displayed superior acceleration getting to the corner and the vision to slice through the middle of the defense while at the Under Armour All-American Game. Williams is also an excellent receiver out of the backfield, which will create more early opportunities for playing time. His home-run speed may also get him looks as a kick returner. I don't expect him to be the starter right away, but he should gradually work his way onto the field once he shows off his big-play ability in an actual game. Oklahoma is loaded with experienced receivers and a veteran quarterback. This will allow the young backs to run wild.

rekamrettuB
2/3/2011, 10:30 AM
The guy will be special

I like seeing the "receiving threat" mentioned. That puts a lot of pressure on defenses. And this kid is obviously really good in space.

CrimsonCommando
2/3/2011, 12:12 PM
I heard William Shankle was once the fastest Sooner. Apparently, he practiced lights out, but for whatever reason he would get BURNED in games. His nickname was "toast."

The thing about Joe Washington was he ran like a 4.6, but he could run that sideways and backwards too.

James Haynes and Trey Franks are the two fastest guys on the team now.