PDA

View Full Version : How to argue on the wwwnet

3rdgensooner
1/28/2011, 02:30 PM
How to argue on the internet (http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/steven-baxter/2011/01/straight-middle-discussion)

The foolproof guide to avoiding intelligent discussion online.

http://images.newstatesman.com/articles/2011//20110128_3301567_w.jpg
An argument in the pre-internet age.

Fancy derailing a discussion but aren't sure how to go about it? Can't be bothered discussing things properly and would much rather chuck a spanner in the works? No worries. Simply use the Derailing for Dummies guide and you need never think too hard about complicated things again!

The "There's Something Much More Serious Going on Somewhere Else" interruption: "Excuse me, but I can't believe you're not talking about rape in the DRC. Why on earth aren't you talking about that in a blogpost entitled 'Kittens and Bunnies'?"

The "Uber-pernickety pedant of the week award": "I can't help noticing that you mention 1,204 jobs are to be lost under these proposals. I think you're forgetting that one job has already been lost, meaning only 1,203 further jobs will be lost. This entirely undermines your argument."

The "What******y Gambit": "But what about men? What about straight people? What about middle class people? What about white people? What about white straight male people? What about white straight middle-class middle-aged men?"

Advanced "What******y " (aka The Real Victims): "White straight middle-class middle-aged men are the Real Victims of discrimination. You can't get a job nowadays if you're a white straight middle-class middle-aged man. (Well, I did, but that's beside the point.)"

The "I See You Didn't Mention" Spanner/Works Interface: "I see you didn't mention the crimes of Pol Pot, or Mao Tse-Tung, which were undoubtedly horrific. Funny how people like you never mention their atrocities in a discussion - but then again, I suppose you'd be in favour of that."

The "So Doing Something Unrelated Which You Haven't Mentioned Is All Right, Is it?" flourish: "You say that torturing people is bad. But I suppose shooting them in the face is all right, is it?"

The "You're doing the derailing" Derailment Device: "Arguments like yours derail any decent discussion and close it off for people like me, who never like derailing things. I wish you wouldn't derail things like that. Meanwhile, here's my opinion..."

Launching the "My One Anecdote Destroys Everything" Hand Grenade: "All very well you saying that about the NHS and how it compares to other healthcare systems across Europe and the developed world, but I once spent a night in a hospital and someone was rude to me!"

"What's the point of talking about things?" finger-waggery: "I don't see the point of you writing this post at all. What do you hope you're going to achieve? Do you think the world will change at all because of what you've said? I don't think so. (Of course you could equally make the same point about this comment, but that would be wrong, because me making this comment really will change everything)."

The "Have a look at my take on things" Shameless Plug Parachute: "I disagree with you. In fact in my post 'But what about the thing I really want to talk about instead?' over at my blog, I think you'll find I've bested you on every single matter."

**on a side note: why did "What.a.b.o.u.t.e.r.y" get changed to asterisks ?????

XingTheRubicon
1/28/2011, 02:51 PM
**on a side note: why did "What.a.b.o.u.t.e.r.y" get changed to asterisks ?????

heh

XingTheRubicon
1/28/2011, 02:52 PM
any filter know-er about-ers care to explain? ;)

Jammin'
1/28/2011, 02:56 PM
This reminds me of the time we all thought 3G was a robot.

Meep. (derail baby, come on!)

DIB
1/28/2011, 02:58 PM
This reminds me of the time we all thought 3G was a robot.

Meep. (derail baby, come on!)

Oh yeah? What about cyborgs? What about androids? What about automatons?

Jammin'
1/28/2011, 03:01 PM

I like the iphone over teh android. Never tried the cyborg. (and I think you made automatons up while you were high)

The
1/28/2011, 03:07 PM

I made a post for you yesterday and you nay responded.

I am disappoint.

3rdgensooner
1/28/2011, 03:17 PM
you nay responded.

I am disappoint.

The
1/28/2011, 03:18 PM

I'll be back in the office in a few hours.

TUSooner
1/28/2011, 03:19 PM

ZING!!!! :D :D :D

The OP is obviously from some British dealio.

EDIT: Let me add the "DUH!" before some else does. :O

3rdgensooner
1/28/2011, 03:23 PM

ZING!!!! :D :D :D

The OP is obviously from some British dealio.I guess I'm still missing something.

Talk to me like I'm a 4 yr. old

http://cdn.newsone.com/files/2009/08/denzel-washington-philly_l.jpg

3rdgensooner
1/28/2011, 03:27 PM
I'll be back in the office in a few hours.I'll know, I'm tracking your GPS.

2121Sooner
1/28/2011, 03:34 PM
Yeah, this should go here......

http://funny.picturepie.com/images/arguing_internet_retarded.jpg

DIB
1/28/2011, 04:39 PM
I made a post for you yesterday and you nay responded.

I am disappoint.

If it's about the blue waffles, I saw it.

If it isnay, then point me in the right direction and I will make a well thought out and appropriate response.

XingTheRubicon
1/28/2011, 08:18 PM
I guess I'm still missing something.

Talk to me like I'm a 4 yr. old

back in the day on the south oval, some JA started a thread with the term "know er about er"....as in "hey all you java script know er about ers" or "riding lawn mower know er about ers" except obviously without the space. Then, thread after thread where someone was seeking info on a certain topic, they would inevitiably have the term "know er about er" in the title.

I believe Beano, or some other mod, then filtered out "know er" and "about er"
stating enough was enough.

So now, it's ****** *******.

Adrian
1/28/2011, 11:18 PM
And then there's the "Stu" gambit: "I know something you don't, but I'm not going to tell you what I know."