PDA

View Full Version : Is Bob Stoops a good coach?

oudavid1
1/28/2011, 12:15 PM
http://i52.tinypic.com/1znpxec.jpg

Vs Ranked opponents?

OUEngr1990
1/28/2011, 12:22 PM
That home record is astounding though...

TMcGee86
1/28/2011, 12:23 PM
pfft. 6-6 in bowl games? Fire him now!

:D

OUEngr1990
1/28/2011, 12:25 PM
well, even worse is our BCS record, be we are on our way in getting over that funk..

yermom
1/28/2011, 12:28 PM
that 7-1 number is still pretty staggering.

it will be a while before anyone else even gets close to that.

TMcGee86
1/28/2011, 12:33 PM
that 7-1 number is still pretty staggering.

it will be a while before anyone else even gets close to that.

what's even crazier is that 1 is the team that everyone was saying was perhaps the best ever in college football.

badger
1/28/2011, 12:34 PM
MEDIA: AH, AH, AH! Bob Stoops can't win on the road like he can win at home! :rolleyes:

LiveLaughLove
1/28/2011, 12:37 PM
He's not a good coach. He's a great coach.

I have a theory about his BCS failures. If you look at his record in Big XII CC games it's astounding even given the fact that the north winner pretty much sucks. Yet his BCS record is bad.

In 2000, we were a heavy (11 point) underdog to FSU. We took risks and went outside our regular gameplans to confuse FSU and it worked awesomely. Weinke stunk it up, and Bowden didn't know how to counter what OU did. We needed to do that to win.

In the regular season and even the Big XII CC game, you dont have several weeks to gameplan, so you go with subtle changes and pretty much stick to what got you there, and for the most part that works swimmingly well for us.

But in BCS games, the other teams have weeks to implement stuff. We do too. But it seems Bob over the years has become more of the philosophy that what got us there is what will win, and we dont change much. Yet the other teams do for the most part. So we play the role of FSU in 2000 too often.

Just my theory on it. It doesnt fit every BCS game for sure, but I think it helps explain some of what has happened to us, especially with the lesser talented teams like BSU and WVU.

TMcGee86
1/28/2011, 12:40 PM
I wouldn't call WVU a lesser talented team.

They were #1 in the nation for a few hours after we beat Mizzou until they lost to Pitt.

They were much more talented in the skill positions, given the injuries we sustained.

picasso
1/28/2011, 12:43 PM
How many ranked teams did we beat to close out last season?

agoo758
1/28/2011, 12:47 PM

They were #1 in the nation for a few hours after we beat Mizzou until they lost to Pitt.

They were much more talented in the skill positions, given the injuries we sustained.

Let's not kid ourselves. We got blown out by a team we should have beaten easily. True, they were number #1 at a point, but so was South Florida and Boston College.

BoulderSooner79
1/28/2011, 12:54 PM
But in BCS games, the other teams have weeks to implement stuff. We do too. But it seems Bob over the years has become more of the philosophy that what got us there is what will win, and we dont change much. Yet the other teams do for the most part. So we play the role of FSU in 2000 too often.

I have to agree with this in general and a counter example is LSU under Miles. They were not the better team when they beat tOSU, but they were better prepared. They put in new formations specifically to thwart tOSU's defensive keys and it result in big plays in key situations. Tressel would get something going on offense and LSU would make a quick adjustment and shut it down. LSU made aTm look silly in this season's cotton bowl. aTm had the athletes, but on defense they would go for every fake, influence or misdirection play and be out of position constantly. It made me lament we didn't do a better job planning against those guys, but of course, we only had the standard week to prepare.

I have to disagree on West Virginia being an inferior team. They were a Pat White hand injury away from the title game and I think they would have won if they got there.

BoulderSooner79
1/28/2011, 12:56 PM
Let's not kid ourselves. We got blown out by a team we should have beaten easily. True, they were number #1 at a point, but so was South Florida and Boston College.

West Virginia was for real and I'm not kidding. Did you watch them play other than our game?

TMcGee86
1/28/2011, 12:58 PM

I think you are rating that OU team too high. Even if WVU wasn't an all time great team, we lost to Colorado and Tech that year. We barely beat ISU.

With 3 defensive starters out, and against a great WVU offense, I don't see any way we would have blown them out.

No doubt it should have been closer, but I didn't expect a blow out.

PDXsooner
1/28/2011, 01:43 PM
Go ahead and make the record vs. ranked opponents 42-16. We never lost to Oregon and I'll go to my grave saying it.

soonervegas
1/28/2011, 01:48 PM
We were outmatched in two BCS bowl games:

SC
WV

The other three: UF, LSU, or Boise could have turned on a play or two...

BigJerm7
1/28/2011, 01:50 PM
Overall body of work = Excellent.

OUEngr1990
1/28/2011, 01:53 PM
We were outmatched in two BCS bowl games:

SC
WV

The other three: UF, LSU, or Boise could have turned on a play or two...

What SC game? That one has been officially wiped from the record books and never happened..:D

OUEngr1990
1/28/2011, 01:55 PM
I don't think we were even outmatched against SC. Petey just did alot better job getting his team ready than Stoops did and it was obvious. And I'm not saying Stoops is not a great coach because he really is a great coach. He just walks on water, but occasionally gets his socks wet, that is all...

SoonerDood
1/28/2011, 01:57 PM
Does a former Drill Instructor make a lousy therapist?

Saul Good
1/28/2011, 02:05 PM
Is Bob Stoops a good coach?

Are your twitter "self posts" annoying as he**?

LiveLaughLove
1/28/2011, 02:15 PM

Not saying you did this, but I dont recall too many people on here saying we were outmatched by WVU BEFORE the game.

Seems to me it was pretty much a concensus here that we were going to slobber knock them. Ya know, all the "we're really mad and serious this time" stuff, and the fact we had beaten the current number one team.

I dont think there are very many teams that out talent OU. Not saying it doesnt happen, but better talent doesn't explain our dismal BCS record.

Make no mistake, I think Bob is a great coach and greater person. I don't want anyone else as OU coach. But the BCS thing is certainly a blemish and is his and the coaching staffs fault. Gameplan, philosophy, practice habits, the hotels they stay in, whatever. Its something.

OUEngr1990
1/28/2011, 02:18 PM
When I watched the WVU game I saw a poorly prepared OU team, along with some questionable play calling. Not taking anything away from WVU, they were clearly a top 5 team, but we could have done much better, same case with SC.

SoonerinSouthlake
1/28/2011, 02:20 PM
pfft. 6-6 in bowl games? Fire him now!

:D

yes..he seems to have really lost his drive. I dont think he is the same coach he used to be. He cant win without Mike. He is too loyal to his crappy coordinators who also cant win. We need to hire Gary Patterson or Chris Petersen.;)

Octavian
1/28/2011, 02:47 PM
72-2 --a lot of fun.

OUMallen
1/28/2011, 03:00 PM
what's even crazier is that 1 is the team that everyone was saying was perhaps the best ever in college football.

That team was SO SO good too. It really was. I guess we just got outcoached that night, and we just didn't quite want it bad enough in New Orleans.

I still think that was super winnable and we win 6 times out of 10. Same with Florida in 2008. We win the majority of those games.

allanace16
1/28/2011, 03:03 PM
Not saying you did this, but I dont recall too many people on here saying we were outmatched by WVU BEFORE the game.

To be fair, what fanbase ever says something like that? There were UCONN fans convinced OU wasn't that great this year and that they'd win on their boards. Homerism and bravado is something you see out of every fanbase before a game, even if the people spouting it don't internalize it. Did I think we were outmatched that game? Yeah. Did I still tell people we were going to win? Yeah. If you had asked me to put a grand on it, would I have done it? **** no! (note: I'm still a poor college student. For some of you big ballers out there, $1000 may not be that much on a wager, lol)

allanace16
1/28/2011, 03:15 PM
That team was SO SO good too. It really was. I guess we just got outcoached that night, and we just didn't quite want it bad enough in New Orleans.

I still think that was super winnable and we win 6 times out of 10. Same with Florida in 2008. We win the majority of those games.

When it comes to KSU, I think everyone forgets how good that team really was. Started out like 6 or 7, Roberson (their QB gets hurt) and they drop 3 games in a row (all of which were by a TD or less), then don't lose again until their bowl (by 7). That team was stout, and OU didn't bring their A game that night.

As far as LSU goes, it depends. In the perfect, playing on an actual neutral field, everyone's healthy scenario? Yeah, think we win that 7 out of 10. In the realistic, "KSU broke Jason White", playing in front of 60,000 drunk Cajuns scenario, not so much.

Kind of the same with Florida. In the perfect scenario, I felt like that was a 50/50 game. 2 very even teams that year, before the "Florida playing in Miami" factor came into play. And we were still a couple of plays from winning that one. Still say it was Spikes and Harvin that decided that one, not 6 lb 8 oz baby Teebus.

yermom
1/28/2011, 03:55 PM
Teebus came on in the 4th though, if i remember

"he has that extra gear in his heart"

btb916
1/28/2011, 05:40 PM
Bob Stoops is a spectacular coach and that's really the end of the discussion.

BoulderSooner79
1/28/2011, 06:27 PM
I don't think we were even outmatched against SC. Petey just did alot better job getting his team ready than Stoops did and it was obvious. And I'm not saying Stoops is not a great coach because he really is a great coach. He just walks on water, but occasionally gets his socks wet, that is all...

I don't think we were outmatched by SC either - I know we were. But you're correct on the 2nd part - Bob got out coached too. Outmatched and out coached is an ugly situation. But it happens and Bob is still a great coach.

oubose
1/28/2011, 06:44 PM
Stoops is a fantastic coach, if he wasn't why would his name come up every year for a opening in the NFL. Year after year you here that. If one thing could change, get rid of BV, I think we arn't always prepared on defense

OU_Sooners75
1/28/2011, 06:45 PM

Seems to me it was pretty much a concensus here that we were going to slobber knock them. Ya know, all the "we're really mad and serious this time" stuff, and the fact we had beaten the current number one team.

Not sure, but unless you had a previous name here, you were not even registered as a user at this site when OU played West Virginia.

If you didn't have a previous username here, the how in the hell do you know what the concensus was here leading into that game?

I know I was here. I also know that plenty of members here were very worried about the match-up problems we had going into the game. We had plenty of injuries going into that game, that spelled trouble against a very talented spread option offense that WVU ran at that time.

yankee
1/28/2011, 06:57 PM
Why the hell is this being discussed? 41-17 is a good record regardless, but against ranked opponents? That's an incredible record.

/facepalm

F'n A david...

CarolinaSoonerFan
1/28/2011, 08:03 PM
Why the hell is this being discussed? 41-17 is a good record regardless, but against ranked opponents? That's an incredible record.

/facepalm

F'n A david...

I agree 70% winning vs rank teams it pretty great. I would like to see the stats for the top 10 opps.

Jacie
1/28/2011, 10:16 PM
A stat no one has commented on, 12 seasons as Oklahoma's head coach. Many thought we would lose him after that Orange Bowl. He is still here, feeding the monster, delivering the goods.

LiveLaughLove
1/28/2011, 10:27 PM
Not sure, but unless you had a previous name here, you were not even registered as a user at this site when OU played West Virginia.

If you didn't have a previous username here, the how in the hell do you know what the concensus was here leading into that game?

I know I was here. I also know that plenty of members here were very worried about the match-up problems we had going into the game. We had plenty of injuries going into that game, that spelled trouble against a very talented spread option offense that WVU ran at that time.

Yes I had a previous name here. For some reason the email I had had gotten blocked a long time ago. I stalked without posting for a long time, but missed the Fark board (which you cant see unless you are registered and logged in) so I renewed with this name.

Been reading this board for a longer time than I like to admit, or than my wife approves of.

ouwasp
1/28/2011, 10:37 PM
A stat no one has commented on, 12 seasons as Oklahoma's head coach. Many thought we would lose him after that Orange Bowl. He is still here, feeding the monster, delivering the goods.

Yeah, isn't that the truth... the talking heads on espin had Bob packed for OH State before they could even hoist the crystal ball... :rolleyes:

All these yrs later, things still look good. :)

tator
1/28/2011, 10:59 PM
Teebus came on in the 4th though, if i remember

"he has that extra gear in his heart"
He prayed. There was really nothing that could be done.

boomermagic
1/28/2011, 11:11 PM
Is Bob Stoops a good coach?

Are your twitter "self posts" annoying as he**?

Dumb question !!!

Sooner_Tuf
1/29/2011, 03:11 PM

I don't think South Florida has ever been ranked #1 and when was the last time Boston College was #1? 1942?

agoo758
1/29/2011, 03:39 PM
I don't think South Florida has ever been ranked #1 and when was the last time Boston College was #1? 1942?

I'm pretty sure BC and SF were number one for a week during the 2007 season.

PDXsooner
1/29/2011, 04:04 PM
I'm pretty sure BC and SF were number one for a week during the 2007 season.

No, they both got to #2 but never #1.

ashley
1/29/2011, 05:11 PM
When I watched the WVU game I saw a poorly prepared OU team, along with some questionable play calling. Not taking anything away from WVU, they were clearly a top 5 team, but we could have done much better, same case with SC.

Did you ever think we might have been prepared but our players played badly?
Maybe not, what fan would ever think of that?

Okie35
1/29/2011, 05:36 PM
Those are good numbers.

OUEngr1990
1/29/2011, 07:53 PM
Did you ever think we might have been prepared but our players played badly?
Maybe not, what fan would ever think of that?

No, they were not prepared. Anyone who watched the game could see that, it was obvious.

OUEngr1990
1/29/2011, 07:56 PM
I don't think we were outmatched by SC either - I know we were. But you're correct on the 2nd part - Bob got out coached too. Outmatched and out coached is an ugly situation. But it happens and Bob is still a great coach.

I disagree. Even the USC players stated in the press conference that the OU players were just as physically talented as they were, they just knew our weaknesses and they exploited them all night long. Matt Leinart had the best game of his college career, and Jason White had the worst game of his college career. And the fact that they had a pro player on their team who was earning 6 figures didn't help matters at all. Didn't you guys even watch the game?

Ground_Attack
1/29/2011, 10:34 PM
how is 38-6 (against Big 12 north opponents) equal 43 games?

oudavid1
1/29/2011, 11:24 PM
how is 38-6 (against Big 12 north opponents) equal 43 games?

Maybe they didnt count the Big 12 Championship.

agoo758
1/30/2011, 12:11 PM
No, they both got to #2 but never #1.

I stand corrected then, but it proves my point that being a top two team that year wasn't really saying much.

BoulderSooner79
1/30/2011, 12:27 PM
I disagree. Even the USC players stated in the press conference that the OU players were just as physically talented as they were, they just knew our weaknesses and they exploited them all night long. Matt Leinart had the best game of his college career, and Jason White had the worst game of his college career. And the fact that they had a pro player on their team who was earning 6 figures didn't help matters at all. Didn't you guys even watch the game?

We all watched the game even though many don't admit it. We had no chance of covering their receivers a fact I fully expected. We got owned in the trenches which was something I didn't expect - especially our D line. We had more weaknesses going in and they had started to become apparent in the OSU and aTm games where we managed to squeaked by. The fact Bush was bending the rules didn't make him any better - in fact controller him was about the only thing we did well. If we had been paying AD's family, the score wouldn't have changed. Having weaknesses to exploit is a measure of how good a team is - not just physical talent. And performing well in big games is a measure of a players ability. Nothing you said convinces me we
matched up well with 'SC that year. It only shows we have different definitions of what makes the better team.

BoulderSooner79
1/30/2011, 12:42 PM
I stand corrected then, but it proves my point that being a top two team that year wasn't really saying much.

That's often the case early in the year. But we didn't play BC or South Florida - we played WVU which was an elite squad all year that year. Look at the WVU record the first 3 years that Pat White was QB. Then look at the record when White was healthy and they just about didn't lose. In their 2 losses the year we played them, White was injured in the 1st half and the back-up was terrible. Just like I would bet money we beat TT that year if Sam doesn't get hurt our 1st snap, I'd bet money WVU beats Pitt if White doesn't go down. We would have needed more of our guys healthy and have played well to win that one. Frustrating to me is that 2 of the guys were missing for dumbass reasons (Holmes, Granger).

BlownGP
1/30/2011, 06:50 PM
Hes a great coach..

IT wouldnt have been nice to win a few of those BCS games, cuz he still doesnt get the respect he should when people talk about great coachs..

ole well. Maybe we turned a new leaf and the BCS woes are behind us..

OUEngr1990
1/30/2011, 09:53 PM
We all watched the game even though many don't admit it. We had no chance of covering their receivers a fact I fully expected. We got owned in the trenches which was something I didn't expect - especially our D line. We had more weaknesses going in and they had started to become apparent in the OSU and aTm games where we managed to squeaked by. The fact Bush was bending the rules didn't make him any better - in fact controller him was about the only thing we did well. If we had been paying AD's family, the score wouldn't have changed. Having weaknesses to exploit is a measure of how good a team is - not just physical talent. And performing well in big games is a measure of a players ability. Nothing you said convinces me we
matched up well with 'SC that year. It only shows we have different definitions of what makes the better team.

Well everyone has their own opinion. you have yours and I have mine. My opinion still stands with more strategy we possibly could have won that game or at least kept it close, and not let it gotten so ugly. When you graduate as many players to the NFL as OU did after that game, it makes you wonder....

That game was all about coaching, and Stoops got pwned big time by an ex NFL coach. That's all there was to it...doesn't matter anyway, in reality it was not a win for USC since they had to vacate it.

Always_Sooner
1/31/2011, 04:53 AM
I think that Bob has one more National Title in him. We are bound to win another one with the opportunity this next season if it plays out just right.