PDA

View Full Version : Middle East Uprisings

swardboy
1/28/2011, 09:25 AM
I admit I haven't tuned in to this event too much because I just don't care about their worthless asses, but I suppose the ramifications are huge. Personally I hope the extremists take over Egypt, tear down the pyramids and sphinx, lose all tourism dollars and sink into the eternal sands. My only regret is losing the Suez Canal route.

SoonerProphet
1/28/2011, 09:54 AM
pretty fascinating stuff with egypt, yemen, tunisia, and lebanon all in the news.

SouthCarolinaSooner
1/28/2011, 10:06 AM
Things have been rapidly changing in the past few hours, this is exciting stuff. El Baradei was trapped in a mosque by riot police, then let out and apparently was even shaking hands with many of the riot police as were many protesters, now it seems violence has resumed again and El Baradei is under house arrest. Protesters in Suez have apparently seized many weapons from a police depot before they burned it, and now almost all communications have been slashed. Hopefully this doesn't turn out like another Iran.

My Opinion Matters
1/28/2011, 10:46 AM
I'll admit I don't watch much news, what's behind all of this?

The Profit
1/28/2011, 11:08 AM

George W. Bush and the oil companies.

royalfan5
1/28/2011, 11:09 AM

Autocracy's turning into Gerontcracy's tend to go this route.

swardboy
1/28/2011, 11:10 AM
It started with the revolution in Tunisia, supposedly the people throwing off the despotism of the ruling class and seeking freedom kind of stuff. The jury's out on the catalyst...could be jihad muslim activism too. I hope and pray it's the former.

delhalew
1/28/2011, 11:24 AM
Several of these uprisings have involved leaders either installed or supported by the US, for stability sake. These supposedly democratically elected leaders that have gotten 95% of the vote for thirty years.

You be sure the area will further destabilize, but good for them. The know when they smell bull****. I always like to see these regimes turned upside-down.

Oldnslo
1/28/2011, 11:30 AM
Locusts and Boils, right on schedule.

swardboy
1/28/2011, 11:42 AM
Recently the younger son of the Shah of Iran committed suicide. Remarkably many of the Shah's former enemies attended the funeral lamenting the young man's death. They were bitter about the forces their enmity against the Shah had unleashed.

NormanPride
1/28/2011, 11:49 AM
Is that area of the world ever going to stop being *******s?

OUthunder
1/28/2011, 11:52 AM
Is that area of the world ever going to stop being *******s?

Not in our lifetimes.

Jammin'
1/28/2011, 11:53 AM
Not in our lifetimes.

So not before 12/21/2012?

NormanPride
1/28/2011, 11:54 AM
Everyone else in the world has figured out how to not kill each other. At some point you have to be embarrassed about your development as a culture.

yermom
1/28/2011, 11:58 AM
they somehow missed The Enlightenment

swardboy
1/28/2011, 01:04 PM
Oh joy, I see it's on in Jordan. And Iran is cheering it all on. Not good. Unless it actually reduces them all to living in tents.

KABOOKIE
1/28/2011, 02:10 PM
Problem is that would be an improvement in the standard of living.

MR2-Sooner86
1/28/2011, 02:15 PM
Recently the younger son of the Shah of Iran "committed suicide." *nudge nudge wink wink*

:pop:

Sooner98
1/28/2011, 02:41 PM

Sarah Palin's inflammatory rhetoric. She needs to tone it down before more countries slip into chaos.

Mjcpr
1/28/2011, 02:47 PM
As another great benefit to us, I'm sure the price of oil will skyrocket.

swardboy
1/28/2011, 05:22 PM
As another great benefit to us, I'm sure the price of oil will skyrocket.

Right on cue....almost $100 now. Craptastic. Just when it was easing back down. "Mr. Obama, tear down this oil f
drilling regulation wall."

KantoSooner
1/28/2011, 05:35 PM
Here's a thought:

Christianity went a bit nuts in the 14th century, what with inquisitions, crusades and general insanity.

Islam was founded in what? 642?

So, this is their '14th century' after founding. Is there something magic in that? Maybe monotheistic religions run out of ideas and need to go kill something after about 14 centuries of doing whatever else it is they've gotten up to 'til then.

I wonder if the Arab world really goes at it this time and settles things, or if they back away again. And I wonder whether they are going to blame 'The West' for their own problems yet again.

God I'm tired of seeing pouty faces from the Mid-East telling me why it's all my fault that their lives suck.

OUMallen
1/28/2011, 05:49 PM
Good for natural gas. :D

sappstuf
1/28/2011, 05:52 PM

http://island-adv.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Bush_Fault.gif

bigfatjerk
1/28/2011, 05:53 PM
Here's a thought:

Christianity went a bit nuts in the 14th century, what with inquisitions, crusades and general insanity.

Islam was founded in what? 642?

So, this is their '14th century' after founding. Is there something magic in that? Maybe monotheistic religions run out of ideas and need to go kill something after about 14 centuries of doing whatever else it is they've gotten up to 'til then.

I wonder if the Arab world really goes at it this time and settles things, or if they back away again. And I wonder whether they are going to blame 'The West' for their own problems yet again.

God I'm tired of seeing pouty faces from the Mid-East telling me why it's all my fault that their lives suck.

I think the Middle East has pretty much been in some form of war or another for all of human history.

AlbqSooner
1/28/2011, 08:44 PM
I think the Middle East has pretty much been in some form of war or another for all of human history.

Well, at least since Achmed stole Kalif's goat.

swardboy
1/29/2011, 11:31 AM
This event is now spreading to Saudi Arabia...can you say $500 a barrel oil?

Obama needs to lift all restraints on drilling for oil off-shore and on-shore, like, 10 years ago.

Maybe it IS in our strategic interest to invade Venezuela.

sooner59
1/29/2011, 11:53 AM
They are breaking into museums and destroying mummies now. Yeah, because that is going to solve your problems. :rolleyes:

OUthunder
1/29/2011, 01:38 PM
Go ahead and destroy the mummies and museums but keep your hands off our ****ing oil.

WILBURJIM
1/29/2011, 01:53 PM
Maybe it IS in our strategic interest to invade Venezuela.

How about Saudi Arabia? Less trees to hide behind, a more developed oil industry run mainly by foreigners and we have forces right there, a half days drive away.:D

bigfatjerk
1/29/2011, 01:56 PM
Why not just invade our own country? We have enough oil and natural gas in this country to live just fine. The middle east is so unstable that we are flat out stupid for trying to rely on them.

ouwasp
1/29/2011, 03:07 PM
"...wars and rumors of wars..."

swardboy
1/29/2011, 07:27 PM
"...wars and rumors of wars..."

Throw in an earthquake or five....

VeeJay
1/29/2011, 07:50 PM
Go ahead and destroy the mummies and museums but keep your hands off our ****ing oil.

The Taliban has looted and destroyed religious sites and stolen treasures from Iraqi museums. *yawn*

All we heard during The Great Bush Reign Of Terror was how the world's artifacts in "the cradle of civilization" had been stolen or destroyed.

Anybody pick up any Cradle Of Civilization Souvenirs on e-bay?

Cornfed
1/29/2011, 07:53 PM
The Taliban has looted and destroyed religious sites and stolen treasures from Iraqi museums. *yawn*

All we heard during The Great Bush Reign Of Terror was how the world's artifacts in "the cradle of civilization" had been stolen or destroyed.

Anybody pick up any Cradle Of Civilization Souvenirs on e-bay?

I bought a fig leaf that was supposedly worn by Adam. I got outbid on Eve's leaves.....:(

My Opinion Matters
1/29/2011, 07:56 PM
they somehow missed The Enlightenment

It somehow missed this thread as well.

cccasooner2
1/29/2011, 08:46 PM
Everyone else in the world has figured out how to not kill each other. At some point you have to be embarrassed about your development as a culture.

Apparently swardboy did not get the memo. "Maybe it IS in our strategic interest to invade Venezuela."

Jacie
1/29/2011, 10:13 PM
They are breaking into museums and destroying mummies now. Yeah, because that is going to solve your problems. :rolleyes:

According to the report, once the protesters heard that men had entered the museum to loot it, they formed a human cordon around it and refused to let anyone else in or out until the military showed up. Soldiers detained the looters and recovered artifacts removed from the museum.

soonercruiser
1/29/2011, 10:55 PM

Duh!!!
It just had to be Boooosh.
That's Profit's MO!
Or is that Mooooooo!

dwarthog
1/30/2011, 10:33 AM

Nothing says revolution like looting your local electronics store and nabbing a couple LCD TV's....

Oldnslo
2/7/2011, 02:59 PM
See? Nobody likes to let an emergency go to waste!

sheepdogs
2/7/2011, 03:15 PM
When the LA Lakers won the NBA Champonship last year their fans went out into the streets and torched cars, turned cars over and looted stores among other things. These rioters, who were by and large in their twenties, were jubilant, overjoyed and flying on cloud nine but they still rioted. Reason being, the raging hormones inside these young men got the best of them as they were not able to dislpay the proper amount of logic, reason and common sense which was much needed. Now, there is similar behavior in Egypt and other neighboring countries as well and it really has nothing to do with the government as it does with the younger generation not being able to control themselves like other age groups tend to be able to demonstrate. This government excuse to riot was just a catalyst, as given time they would have reacted to something completely unrelated to justify their lack of control. Now we have governments from all over the globe handing out information on how this or that needs to change in the Egyptian government and it is absurd to say the least. Absolutely absurd!

3rdgensooner
2/15/2011, 11:18 AM
Mideast Unrest Spreads (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704657104576141701347446530.html)

Protests Target Iran, Bahrain, Libya; Egypt Dissolves Parliament, Sets Elections