PDA

View Full Version : Thinking taking a Cruise?

btk108
1/27/2011, 10:55 PM
Avoid Carnival Cruise Lines. Here's my personal experience:

http://www.carnivalcruiseruinedour25thanniversary.com/

2121Sooner
1/27/2011, 11:05 PM
Sounds like a wonderful time

Sorry to hear about your shtty experience.

sooner59
1/27/2011, 11:23 PM
Give em hell BTK!

NathanStinson
1/27/2011, 11:38 PM
Had nothing but great experiences with Carnival *shrugs*

sooner59
1/27/2011, 11:44 PM
Had nothing but great experiences with Carnival *shrugs*

That's because they decided not to steal your money. Next time.... Next time...

btk108
1/27/2011, 11:46 PM
I'm sure there are lots of people who have had great experiences with them. Not me and never again.

sooner59
1/27/2011, 11:50 PM
Royal Caribbean FTW! :D

Leroy Lizard
1/28/2011, 12:21 AM
Avoid Carnival Cruise Lines. Here's my personal experience:

http://www.carnivalcruiseruinedour25thanniversary.com/

My favorite part was when you placed your valuables in a safe and then didn't lock the safe. :D

olevetonahill
1/28/2011, 12:39 AM
Still its was all in a LOCKED ****in room.
Should have found the thievin mother ****er and made em walk the plank

AlbqSooner
1/28/2011, 06:52 AM
Keelhauling is good.

btk108
1/28/2011, 08:57 AM
My favorite part was when you placed your valuables in a safe and then didn't lock the safe. :D

Leroy....*sigh*...at least I admitted to it :D

Leroy Lizard
1/28/2011, 10:39 AM
btk, you have to imagine this in a sitcom with a laugh track

Vacationer1: Did you lock the safe? (laughter)

Vacationer2: No, I thought you locked the safe. (laughter)

The
1/28/2011, 10:43 AM
http://i.imgur.com/Vf7ku.jpg

NormanPride
1/28/2011, 11:15 AM
Spreading the word...

yermom
1/28/2011, 12:24 PM
that sucks.

but really, lots of those safes can be opened without a whole lot of trouble if someone knows what they are doing anyway.

i guess this is what traveler's cheques are for. do people still use those?

i have a TSA lock i use on my bag that i lock anything important in. i guess they could just cut my bag open, but that at least shows they were there...

homerSimpsonsBrain
1/28/2011, 12:28 PM
I had a pretty good time on Carnival but I definitely got the impression that once they have your $$$, you're on your own.

I read thread on the Carnival site. Pretty easy to see the Carnival employees trolling the thread.

THE-JROD
1/28/2011, 12:38 PM
Famous last words: Oh but that couldnt/wouldnt happen to me! :D

Pricetag
1/28/2011, 03:47 PM
I read thread on the Carnival site. Pretty easy to see the Carnival employees trolling the thread.
Cruise fanboys, most likely. I've only been on two and I'm really close to being one.

My first cruise was on Carnival, and we loved it. Nothing bad to report.

Sorry, btk, that situation sucks. The cruise personnel I've encountered on the two I've been on have all been delightfully pleasant, but you can't forget where they come from. I asked my wife during our first cruise, "When do you think they decided between working for the cruise lines or joining the circus?" Since cash is practically invisible, it doesn't surprise me in the least that some would take it, and I don't think any line has a higher likelihood of it happening than any other.

It does surprise me that they didn't kill you with kindness regarding your loss, though, as that was all they really had to offer you in return.

fadada1
1/28/2011, 03:59 PM
Keelhauling is good.

ahhhh, you haven't lived until you've been keelhauled.

on a side note - WINDJAMMER cruises. although they aren't "windjammer" anymore, there are still similar companies out there.

sailing ships that try to stay under sail power for most of the "cruise". wife has been on 4 of them, I've been on one (not including the 6 monther on a carrier). only 48 passengers, pull into smaller ports, no crowds, dinner is in your bathing suit (top optional) - definitely a more relaxed atmosphere.

Okla-homey
1/28/2011, 04:49 PM
I predict the following.

Someday soon, BTK will get a certified letter from Carnival's lawyers. That letter will be what we in the trade call a "cease and desist" letter. It will instruct him to take down that site or be sued.

Just sayin'

Pricetag
1/28/2011, 05:21 PM
Wow. I didn't read the e-mails at first. I have to say, you kind of turned me against you. For not wanting to threaten or influence/dissuade, you certainly appear to have done a lot of both.

btk108
1/28/2011, 05:52 PM
I predict the following.

Someday soon, BTK will get a certified letter from Carnival's lawyers. That letter will be what we in the trade call a "cease and desist" letter. It will instruct him to take down that site or be sued.

Just sayin'

Homey....ran it by Albq before I put it up, he said go for it.

I also outlined my plan in my email and told the last lady I spoke to I was going to do this, she said "you are welcome to do that".

I think they are of the attitude "meh".

2121Sooner
1/28/2011, 06:02 PM
Carnival Cruises new ad campaign.

"Lock up your safe and have a great trip!!!"

47straight
1/28/2011, 06:08 PM
I predict the following.

Just sayin'

And then Carnival will get extra-huge negative publicity as a result and come much closer to actually having to pay something out.

Okla-homey
1/29/2011, 07:22 AM
Homey....ran it by Albq before I put it up, he said go for it.

I also outlined my plan in my email and told the last lady I spoke to I was going to do this, she said "you are welcome to do that".

I think they are of the attitude "meh".

I don't think they'll actually try to intimidate you unless your website gets a lot of hits and/or it comes up when people Google "Carnival" or "cruise."

btk108
1/29/2011, 08:25 AM
I don't think they'll actually try to intimidate you unless your website gets a lot of hits and/or it comes up when people Google "Carnival" or "cruise."

exactly the reason I left a counter off of it.

Thanks for the heads up!

MR2-Sooner86
1/29/2011, 08:39 AM
You should have went with Royal Caribbean International. I would but that's because I'd want to ride on this bad boy.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e1/Allure_of_the_seas_sideview.JPG/800px-Allure_of_the_seas_sideview.JPG

prrriiide
1/29/2011, 08:44 AM
All-inclusive is the way to go. You don't have to take a ton of money, and you don't have to pay a gargantuan bar tab on your way out the door. Oh, and you don't drown if the resort sinks.

btk108
1/29/2011, 08:52 AM
You should have went with Royal Caribbean International. I would but that's because I'd want to ride on this bad boy.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e1/Allure_of_the_seas_sideview.JPG/800px-Allure_of_the_seas_sideview.JPG

How do those things not tip over? Amazing!

Okla-homey
1/29/2011, 09:20 AM
exactly the reason I left a counter off of it.

Thanks for the heads up!

and FWIW, they generally have a duty to ask you to take it down before they sue. I say "generally", because that's the way it usually unfolds. So you should have a heads-up before some process server shows up at your front door some evening and sticks a summons and complaint in your face.

fadada1
1/29/2011, 10:40 AM

because the bottom of the keel is 400 feet below the waterline.;)

btk108
1/29/2011, 12:09 PM
because the bottom of the keel is 400 feet below the waterline.;)

Still looks top heavy to me....physics never was my thing

Okla-homey
1/29/2011, 12:09 PM

I would imagine, although I'm no naval architect, everything above the gunwale (where the lifeboats are davitted in the photo) is constructed very flimsily in order to keep the CG sufficiently low. Thus, if you have folks loudly doing the freaky-thing on your cabin deck, you'll hear 'em.

fadada1
1/29/2011, 01:09 PM
Still looks top heavy to me....physics never was my thing

nah, you're OK... the whole thing is actually made of styrofoam. squeaks like hell in rough seas.

without looking it up, something that massive might only have a draft of 25-30 feet (pure guess). as big as an aircraft carrier is, they're in the 35-40 foot range - depending on load. LOTS of weight at the bottom of the keel.