PDA

View Full Version : 25 years ago tomorrow

olevetonahill
1/27/2011, 03:48 PM
What were you doing when you 1st heard about the Challenger? I was at My dads shop helping him when a customer came in and told us, I remember going all still .

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20110127/sc_afp/usspaceanniversary

jumperstop
1/27/2011, 03:50 PM
Don't remember anything about it, before my time.

saucysoonergal
1/27/2011, 03:51 PM
I was at OU at the time and we all quit what we were doing and watched TV for the rest of the day.

2121Sooner
1/27/2011, 03:51 PM
I was in high school and when the news hit our history teacher turned on the tv and we watched absolutely stunned.

Watched history unfold in history class. How poetic.

bonkuba
1/27/2011, 03:52 PM
What were you doing when you 1st heard about the Challenger? I was at My dads shop helping him when a customer came in and told us, I remember going all still .

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20110127/sc_afp/usspaceanniversary

I was at home South of Ardmore playing hookie from Plainview School....watching it over antenna (no cable out there in the country).

I remember hearing "Roger, go with throttle up"......then an explosion. It always amazed me how calm the young lady from Nasa that was announcing "stuff" calmly stated that "Obviusly there has been a major malfunction".

Also, one of the more eerie(sp?) sights was the solid rocket booster just zooming around aimlessly in the sky for a bit....kinda like they were searching for Challenger....

Sad day...I will never forget the images.

olevetonahill
1/27/2011, 03:52 PM
Don't remember anything about it, before my time.

Then I guess ya dont member anything about the day Kennedy was shot either, Huh?

JohnnyMack
1/27/2011, 03:53 PM
Then I guess ya dont member anything about the day Kennedy was shot either, Huh?

When Kennedy was shot you were probably in line filling out an application to collect Social Security.

C&CDean
1/27/2011, 03:55 PM
I was attending Pima Community College (yes, I didn't start school till I was almost 30) in Arizona. They had a big set-up in the cafeteria because one of the teachers there was a finalist for the teacher in space deal. There were probably 350+ folks in there.

Dude gave a speech about his project to become the teacher in space and everybody clapped. Challenger blasted off and everybody cheered. **** went wrong and everybody just went numb/still. The teacher started sobbing when we finally realized what happened. It was a weird day.

2121Sooner
1/27/2011, 04:00 PM
Dude gave a speech about his project to become the teacher in space and everybody clapped. Challenger blasted off and everybody cheered. **** went wrong and everybody just went numb/still. The teacher started sobbing when we finally realized what happened. It was a weird day.

What made it even more weird was him whiping his brow and going.....

"WHEW!!!! That was a close one!!!!!"

AWK-ward.....

jumperstop
1/27/2011, 04:00 PM
I was attending Pima Community College (yes, I didn't start school till I was almost 30) in Arizona. They had a big set-up in the cafeteria because one of the teachers there was a finalist for the teacher in space deal. There were probably 350+ folks in there.

Pima? Isn't that where that shooter went to community college? Drove by that after leaving Saguaro National Park on the way to the feista bowl.

I remember where I was for things like 4/19 or 9/11, but I don't have a clue where I was when the other space ship blew up, the Discovery of something. That's why you couldn't pay me enough money to go to space, I hate flying across country.

2121Sooner
1/27/2011, 04:01 PM
Pima? Isn't that where that shooter went to community college? Drove by that after leaving Saguaro National Park on the way to the feista bowl.

Note to self: dont **** off Dean

Oldnslo
1/27/2011, 04:05 PM
Was just back from class at OU. I didn't believe the first guy who told me, but then passed by a lounge where the news was showing the clip.

C&CDean
1/27/2011, 04:07 PM
Note to self: dont **** off Dean

Too late...

C&CDean
1/27/2011, 04:09 PM

I remember where I was for things like 4/19 or 9/11, but I don't have a clue where I was when the other space ship blew up, the Discovery of something. That's why you couldn't pay me enough money to go to space, I hate flying across country.

Yes, that's where he went. That big campus you drove by was just being built when I went. The old campus was closer to downtown.

I remember when the other shuttle blew up for one reason. I had just bought the Deanarosa, and was out there working in the pasture. One of the neighbors came and told me to go inside because the news said the shuttle blew up and pieces of it were gonna come down all over Texas/Oklahoma. It was kinda weird watching the sky for chunks of metal to come down.

2121Sooner
1/27/2011, 04:09 PM
Too late...

Stop hijacking threads

stoops the eternal pimp
1/27/2011, 04:12 PM
I was in 4th grade..Doing some Math in Mrs. Blackwell's class.

Someone stuck their head in the class room and told her.She just said "Class put your books down." She lined us up and took us to the library to watch the coverage on TV.

jumperstop
1/27/2011, 04:12 PM
Yes, that's where he went. That big campus you drove by was just being built when I went. The old campus was closer to downtown.

I remember when the other shuttle blew up for one reason. I had just bought the Deanarosa, and was out there working in the pasture. One of the neighbors came and told me to go inside because the news said the shuttle blew up and pieces of it were gonna come down all over Texas/Oklahoma. It was kinda weird watching the sky for chunks of metal to come down.

I do remember that, the news telling people to keep an eye out for evidence outside. Makes you think about how intense those landings are that they are entering over Texas to land in Florida half an hour later or so. Must be going hella fast.

OUinFLA
1/27/2011, 04:13 PM
Watched it from my back yard.

Very sad.

olevetonahill
1/27/2011, 04:13 PM
The "Other Shuttle" was the Columbia it blew up in 03

unbiasedtruth
1/27/2011, 04:15 PM
nm I was thinking of the Columbia that I saw and heard.

jumperstop
1/27/2011, 04:15 PM
The "Other Shuttle" was the Columbia it blew up in 03

Yeah I knew that, I said Discovery in my last post. I must have gotten them mixed up. :O

OUthunder
1/27/2011, 04:17 PM
I was in Jr. High probably staring at Miss Jenkins bewbies.

SanJoaquinSooner
1/27/2011, 04:18 PM
I recall when the challenger exploded, all the guests watching in person were looking up and it didn't register immediately that it had exploded, ... it was maybe just one stage where propulsion hardware is released .... but it looked strange ... is it suppose to look like that? ... then a silence sank in, until the space center announcer says, "obviously a major malfunction." ... and a few moments later that "the vehicle has exploded."

olevetonahill
1/27/2011, 04:21 PM
I recall when the challenger exploded, all the guests watching in person were looking up and it didn't register immediately that it had exploded, ... it was maybe just one stage where propulsion hardware is released .... but it looked strange ... is it suppose to look like that? ... then a silence sank in, until the space center announcer says, "obviously a major malfunction." ... and a few moments later that "the vehicle has exploded."

Were you at the Cape?
I was in fla. when one launched, had no idea i was so close or i would have been there

stoopified
1/27/2011, 04:22 PM
I had just started a new job (been there about 2 weeks) and one my co-workers told me.Originally I thought he was making a sick joke.Anyhow I was still at that job about 18 years later when the second shuttle disaster happened.

C&CDean
1/27/2011, 04:28 PM
Is it too soon to start telling the jokes about it?

olevetonahill
1/27/2011, 04:51 PM
Prolly not, hell i were telling Lil John Kennedy jokes with in hours of hearing about em feeding the fish:D

oudanny
1/27/2011, 05:16 PM
I was at work meeting with a software vender. A co-worker that knew I was interested in the space program told me something had happened to the shuttle. I figured they had aborted the mission early then I saw later that it had exploded. I was stunned and deeply saddened.

Saul Good
1/27/2011, 05:26 PM
Elementary school computer lab.

cantwait48
1/27/2011, 05:34 PM
I was in 7th grade I believe or maybe sixth, crap I am getting old. anyway a bunch of the teachers were watching it because of the teacher going up. I don't remember much about it other than that but I'll never forget the look on those teachers faces when they came out of the room.

Jammin'
1/27/2011, 05:36 PM
I was in high school and when the news hit our history teacher turned on the tv and we watched absolutely stunned.

Watched history unfold in history class. How poetic.

Similar story but I was in Middle School so we continued to draw penises on the desks during the broadcast.

Jammin'
1/27/2011, 05:37 PM
Is it too soon to start telling the jokes about it?

Do you remember how we all found out those astronauts had dandruff?

Jammin'
1/27/2011, 05:53 PM
Do you remember how we all found out those astronauts had dandruff?

Their Head and Shoulders washed up on the beach.

ZING!

IndySooner
1/27/2011, 06:04 PM
I was in third grade. The guy in my class that lied all the time ran into our room and said the shuttle exploded. Turns out he wasn't lying. We spent the rest of the day in the library watching the coverage.

OhU1
1/27/2011, 07:34 PM
Walking into Oklahoma Bodybuilding Gym in Norman (used to be on highway 77 North, 1 mile south of I-35).

SunnySooner
1/27/2011, 08:03 PM
English class, the principal came on and told us what had happened, our teacher turned on the TV in our classroom, and we all watched in silence. Horrifying, felt so sorry for the kids that had to watch their parents die.

On a side note, when some of the remains began to wash ashore, we were talking about it in History, and the teacher said they'd found what they thought was some foot tissue. One of the girls in the class (we knew she was dumb, but, wow) said, and I **** you not...

"What was he doing with toilet paper on his foot?". Dead serious.

You wonder how people like that function in real life. What's really sad is she's now an elementary teacher. :(

Breadburner
1/27/2011, 08:13 PM
I was in the court-house.....

Veritas
1/27/2011, 08:23 PM
I was a little space nerd and had faked sick to watch the launch. When it blew I remember saying, "Mom, I think the Space Shuttle just blew up, come look."

I'd recorded the launch on our Betamax (still have the tape!) and spent the afternoon watching the tape over and over to see what had happened.

AlbqSooner
1/27/2011, 09:15 PM
I had just finished a hearing at the Caddo County Courthouse and walked out the door. A Bail Bondsman stopped me and asked if I had heard about it. I stood there waiting for the punch line.

The teacher IIRC was Sally Ride. Her last words were, "What does this little button here do?"

SoCaliSooner
1/27/2011, 09:19 PM
Pops worked on the space shuttle and called it the 400 million dollar bottle rocket. I still have tiles from Challenger and Columbia.

GottaHavePride
1/27/2011, 09:24 PM
I was in first grade. I don't really remember anything about that day.

Leroy Lizard
1/27/2011, 09:36 PM
At a Denny's in Oildale. Friend told me about it, then told Challenger jokes for the next ten minutes

hawaii 5-0
1/27/2011, 09:44 PM
I watched it on TV at a ski lodge in Vail.

5-0

FirstandGoal
1/27/2011, 09:52 PM
Was a senior in high school. Was in English class and the teacher had rolled in the television because of there being the first teacher in space thing going on. I can still remember everyone sitting around looking at each other in dumb shock. It was like our brains didn't want to accept what our eyes had just seen.

King Crimson
1/27/2011, 09:54 PM
at big ed's in Norman on Main.

Ike
1/27/2011, 10:10 PM
Third grade. They had us all in the library watching the launch because of the teacher going to space.

Billy'sOUfan
1/27/2011, 10:10 PM
I was in a class in Dallas at the time of the disaster. Just before a class someone came in and said it had exploded. A few of us found a TV to watch the coverage.

I had been in the Coast Guard stationed at the small boat station at Port Canaveral from '82 to '84 and had done security for many launches. I sat on a 41 foot boat about 10 miles off shore for many launches. I had freinds that were out there when it exploded and also part of the search for debri. Very sad.

SanJoaquinSooner
1/27/2011, 10:12 PM
Were you at the Cape?
I was in fla. when one launched, had no idea i was so close or i would have been there

I wasn't there, but during the launch they (TV) were showing all the family members and other guests - especially Christa McAuliffe's - staring up at the launch with child-like excitement. But it took several seconds to sink in what was happening after the explosion. First it was puzzlement, then a deep silence, then a nervous murmur, and finally, the reaction of horror and disbelief.

bluedogok
1/27/2011, 10:12 PM
Working at Triangle A&E.

Soonerfan88
1/27/2011, 10:39 PM
The teacher IIRC was Sally Ride. Her last words were, "What does this little button here do?"

Sally Ride was the 1st female in space. Christy McCauliffe(sp?) was the teacher.

I was in a small accelerated class in the back room of the HS library watching it on tv.

olevetonahill
1/28/2011, 12:05 AM
Pops worked on the space shuttle and called it the 400 million dollar bottle rocket. I still have tiles from Challenger and Columbia.

You are about as full of it as another poster we have here from S.C:rolleyes:

KABOOKIE
1/28/2011, 12:19 AM
My 8th grade teacher walked into the class room wrote on the chalkboard in big letters,

YES IT IS TRUE. THE SPACE SHUTTLE WAS DESTROYED ON LIFT OFF MOMENTS AGO AND ALL CREW MEMBERS INCLUDING CHRISTY MCAULIFFE ARE FEARED DEAD.

He turned around and said, "OK. We mustn't be distracted with the news. We have work to do. Please open your books to page...."

Serious.

jumperstop
1/28/2011, 12:23 AM
at big ed's in Norman on Main.

I loved big ed's. I wish there was still one around.

bluedogok
1/28/2011, 09:58 PM
I loved big ed's. I wish there was still one around.
There was one still open at NW 122nd & Penn last year.

SoCaliSooner
1/28/2011, 10:10 PM
You are about as full of it as another poster we have here from S.C:rolleyes:

I have tiles from both shuttles. Is that what you are questioning?

olevetonahill
1/28/2011, 10:43 PM
I have tiles from both shuttles. Is that what you are questioning?

I bet ya got em hangin on a wall at some Range also :rolleyes:

SoCaliSooner
1/28/2011, 10:45 PM
I bet ya got em hangin on a wall at some Range also :rolleyes:

In a box in the garage.

SanJoaquinSooner
1/28/2011, 10:53 PM
You'll have to excuse olevet's senility -- got you confused with someone else. He thought your daddy was Mark Fuhrman, not some NASA engineer.

SoCaliSooner
1/28/2011, 10:55 PM
You'll have to excuse olevet's senility -- got you confused with someone else. He thought your daddy was Mark Fuhrman, not some NASA engineer.

My pops used to work on the shuttles in the late 70's and early 80's while a reserve deputy....and then became a a full time cop. So...it's possible I am who he thinks I am...

ouwasp
1/28/2011, 10:58 PM
I was in my first yr teaching. The principal called me out into the hall, told me of the explosion. We had been following it because of the teacher-in-space angle... I was shocked, and stupidly asked my principal about Christa... "Oh, she's dead..."

I came back in, shaking my head. Told my 5th graders. They thought I was joking... I just shrugged and asked a boy named Levi if he had the radio that he wasn't supposed to have at school with him. Yes.

We listened to it for a while and then went to lunch.

My air nat'l guard unit was down at the AFB outside Orlando at the time. Our commander was in Mission Control when the Challenger blew. He said they were completely professional. Some of the guys came back w/ photos of the explosion as it happened. They were involved in searching the beach for pieces. In a way, it's shame I missed that deployment; I missed out on history.

The real shame is the whole episode happened at all...:(

swardboy
1/28/2011, 11:01 PM
I do remember that, the news telling people to keep an eye out for evidence outside. Makes you think about how intense those landings are that they are entering over Texas to land in Florida half an hour later or so. Must be going hella fast.

That's less than 10 minutes from Texas to Florida landing for the shuttle. It was about 200,000 feet when it broke up going over Texas. I was watching/listening live on NASA channel as mission control was calling as shuttle was supposed to be coming out of radio silence during re-entry. They knew something catastrophic had happened as it wasn't heard from well after it should have been.

yermom
1/28/2011, 11:10 PM
Eisenhower elementary in Tulsa. they took us out of class after it happened and we all watched the TV in the cafeteria all morning it seemed.

olevetonahill
1/28/2011, 11:58 PM

Naw, jaun I may have confused him with another poster from that part of the country tho:rolleyes:

olevetonahill
1/29/2011, 12:00 AM
That's less than 10 minutes from Texas to Florida landing for the shuttle. It was about 200,000 feet when it broke up going over Texas. I was watching/listening live on NASA channel as mission control was calling as shuttle was supposed to be coming out of radio silence during re-entry. They knew something catastrophic had happened as it wasn't heard from well after it should have been.

Yup, When Columbia went Tits up I heard and went O/S and Looked south.
Dint see anything but I did search my land for parts :eek:

texaspokieokie
1/29/2011, 09:40 AM
don't remember where i was for 1st one, but i heard the boom for the 2nd one .of course, i didn't know what it was, until i heard later.

in irving,tx.

i worked on the space program for 2 yrs in downey,ca.
north american aviation

cccasooner2
1/29/2011, 07:27 PM
I got up early in CA to watch it but the launch kept getting delayed. Finally decided to head off to work. I was listening to coverage on my AM radio as I hit the Sepulveda tunnel by the LA airport. I rushed through the tunnel to restore reception because I did not want to believe what I had heard before the washout. Unfortunately it was true, and two employees of Hughes Aircraft perished (Jarvis and McNair).

Cornfed
1/29/2011, 07:44 PM
I was at Camp Pendleton in MCT.