PDA

View Full Version : Is the Broyles-Stills combo better than the Iglesias-Manny combo?

adoniijahsooner
1/27/2011, 02:52 PM
I still think Jason White had the best receiving corps of any Stoops QB; but is Landry working with better WR's than Sam? Jermaine is not allowed to be factored in:D .

yankee
1/27/2011, 02:53 PM
Better by a long shot, IMO.

My Opinion Matters
1/27/2011, 02:54 PM
Two things:

1. It's corps, not core.

2. Yes.

NormanPride
1/27/2011, 02:57 PM
Yes. Well. After Manny's injury. Before that? Just barely. Next year yes.

BoulderSooner79
1/27/2011, 03:00 PM
Of course Sam had Broyles in '08 too. But '09 & '10 Broyles was much better than '08 Broyles. Ryan showed flashes in '08 but was inconsistent and unfortunately, almost invisible in the BCS title game.

But yes, the I believe LJ has better WRs than Sam did, but I think LJ would trade them with Sam in a heartbeat if he could get the '08 Oline.

adoniijahsooner
1/27/2011, 03:03 PM
Two things:

1. It's corps, not core.

2. Yes.

lol...I'll correct that.

gaylordfan1
1/27/2011, 03:04 PM
Yes, and if Stills blows up next year it will surpass the previous great tandem by great lengths. It will hurt Stills tremendously if he sits out for the Tulsa game. That is a great opportunity to get game speed down and to pad some stats for a confident game against FSU.

Mad Dog Madsen
1/27/2011, 03:17 PM
umm, yeah.

sperry
1/27/2011, 03:20 PM
By a wide margin. Broyles and Stills are both better than Igleisias, who was the best of that duo.

If Stills stays 4 years, he will end up 2nd in every major receiving category behind Broyles.

badger
1/27/2011, 03:26 PM
Nothing wrong with a receiving core. I mean, it's defined as "a small group of indispensable persons or things" and catching the ball is kind of indispensible! :P

I vote Broyles and Stills. Or Broyles and Kenney. Or Broyles and Ratterree. Or Broyles by himself :D

TahoeSOONER
1/27/2011, 03:31 PM
Manny and Iggy really prepared for the game well. I remember seeing them in Washington and they were out there before anyone getting warmed up pregame, locking in timing routes, they were gamers.

Anyway, Stills and Broyles for sure.

King Crimson
1/27/2011, 03:32 PM
Sam throws a much better college deep ball than Landry.

so did Jason White.

NormanPride
1/27/2011, 03:34 PM
Manny + Iggy + Gresham > Broyles + Stills + ???

If we throw in other receiving options then it gets interesting.

TheUnnamedSooner
1/27/2011, 03:41 PM

You are not adhering to the rules ;)

NormanPride
1/27/2011, 03:49 PM
I think I'm allowed to bend them since almost everyone was in agreement on the first question. :D

CaliBornSoonerBred
1/27/2011, 03:53 PM
Broyles is that "possession, go to guy when you need a catch" and always produces. I loved Iggy and Manny but both had their fair share of drops and Iggy absolutely hurt us more than helped in that 08 MNC. I gotta go Landry's corps but if Gresh were involved, he can swing the whole discussion. We saw how important he was to the offense the last two years and he made some insane catches but was very, very consistent.

jumperstop
1/27/2011, 03:54 PM

Throw any reciever on next years team in place of your ? and I think Manny Iggy and Jermaine combo is better, not by much though. Gresham was good, I sure miss him as an option. :(

NormanPride
1/27/2011, 03:57 PM
What if Metoyer comes in and is as good as Kelly was as a frosh?

Eielson
1/27/2011, 03:58 PM
I wouldn't say last year's combo was better than Manny+Iggy by a long shot. Broyles is obviously the best WR mentioned, but I'd take Manny as a senior over Stills as a freshman in a heartbeat.

NormanPride
1/27/2011, 04:00 PM
Agreed.

How about Broyles/Stills/Miller vs Clayton/Wilson/Peoples?

jumperstop
1/27/2011, 04:06 PM
What if Metoyer comes in and is as good as Kelly was as a frosh?

Then maybe, but we don't know how good Metoyer will be when he comes in. Maybe it's because we don't have Sam but I feel like our reviecers in the past couple of seasons haven't made as impressive of catches as Iggy or Manny. One of my favorite receptions ever, with his hurt arm none the less.

UB4AotSVSGs

KantoSooner
1/27/2011, 04:17 PM
Why on earth would you exclude Gresh? Yes, he was not a WR, but he was a receiver and an absolutely deadly one. The secondary of any team we played had to make sure he was under coverage at all times....which left them fewer assets with which to cover Manny and Iggy. If we have a TE threat emerge next year, Broyles, Stills and Metoyer will look like the second, third and fourth arrivals of the Messiah.

Eielson
1/27/2011, 04:17 PM
I think that by season's end this year's group of receivers stands a pretty good chance of being the best ever at OU.

pweitkem
1/27/2011, 04:25 PM
Clayton/Holmes/Rankins/Bradley/Peoples/B Jones/Finley was deadly. The receivers from '03 - '04 were as good as any that have played at OU to date.... speed to burn.

BoulderSooner79
1/27/2011, 04:31 PM
Tinker Owens/Billy Brooks. How on earth did we get WRs that good when we threw <10 passes per game? Sorry to go back to the jurassic era - carry on.

bent rider
1/27/2011, 04:34 PM

Did you mean "by a tall shot"?
Is Stills going to miss the opening game for his recent run-in with the law?

jumperstop
1/27/2011, 04:34 PM
I think that by season's end this year's group of receivers stands a pretty good chance of being the best ever at OU.

I they can withstand all the hype and Miller comes back and continues from where he got injured last year. Miller was getting better last year, but I still think he'll have a lot to prove this season. He's nowhere near Broyles' or Still's level yet.

Eielson
1/27/2011, 04:40 PM
I they can withstand all the hype and Miller comes back and continues from where he got injured last year. Miller was getting better last year, but I still think he'll have a lot to prove this season. He's nowhere near Broyles' or Still's level yet.

It doesn't even have to be Miller who steps up as the third guy. There are a handful of talented WR's who it could be.

jumperstop
1/27/2011, 04:50 PM
It doesn't even have to be Miller who steps up as the third guy. There are a handful of talented WR's who it could be.

I would say he is the most likely though. Proven game experience and made some clutch catches this season. Either him of Metoyer.

85sooners
1/27/2011, 07:36 PM
:gary:

SouthFortySooner
1/27/2011, 07:39 PM
Two things:

1. It's corps, not core.

2. Yes.

C'mon man we're pretty lose with our grammer hear else we might loose more posters!

Soonermagik
1/27/2011, 07:47 PM
Travis Wilson, Mark Clayton & B.Jones were a solid group.

JLEW1818
1/27/2011, 09:49 PM
I'd take Manny, Iggy, and Gresham, over what we have now.

i don't see how a person can disagree with that.

Manny/Iggy were more proven than Broyles/Stills

but if all goes to plan. 2011 Broyles/Stills has the chance to be the greatest OU 1-2 of all time.

IronHorseSooner
1/28/2011, 10:00 AM
As for a TE next year, if James Hanna continues to play like he did down the stretch at the end of 2010, then that would take more pressure off of Broyles & Stills. We are also forgetting about Trey Franks.

gaylordfan1
1/28/2011, 10:52 AM
I wonder how Haywood is panning out.

picasso
1/28/2011, 10:55 AM
Iggy didn't always come through in crunch time.

Just sayin'.

picasso
1/28/2011, 10:57 AM
Manny/Iggy were more proven than Broyles/Stills

How so? Broyles just caught more balls than any other player ever has. And I'd put Stills first season up against Iggy's.

boomermagic
1/28/2011, 11:17 AM
Tinker Owens/Billy Brooks. How on earth did we get WRs that good when we threw <10 passes per game? Sorry to go back to the jurassic era - carry on.

I remember they were G R E A T !!!

yankee
1/28/2011, 11:22 AM
Did you mean "by a tall shot"?
Is Stills going to miss the opening game for his recent run-in with the law?

1) No
2) Probably

jumperstop
1/28/2011, 11:52 AM
As for a TE next year, if James Hanna continues to play like he did down the stretch at the end of 2010, then that would take more pressure off of Broyles & Stills. We are also forgetting about Trey Franks.

Yeah I did forget about franks, he'd been playing real well in the second half of the season this year.

sperry
1/28/2011, 01:15 PM
How so? Broyles just caught more balls than any other player ever has. And I'd put Stills first season up against Iggy's.

I'd put Stills 1st season up against any of Iggy's first three. Iggy and those other guys also had Sam Bradford throwing them the ball, which makes a rather large difference.

DentonSoonerFan
1/28/2011, 02:12 PM
What about Justin McCay next year? Will he be in the mix?

allanace16
1/28/2011, 02:57 PM
Iggy and those other guys also had Rhett Bomar/Paul Thompson throwing them the ball for half their career, which makes a rather large difference.

Fixed. Landry's far closer to Sam than either Rhett or Paul were to Landry.

Even so, Juaquin's percentage of the entire receiving yards his first 2 years were 14% and 19%, respectively. Kenny Stills this year came in at 16.4%, with a vastly better QB. Seems like that's fairly even to me, and both would have been considered the "second option" in that time frame, so it's not like there's a priority issue.

Furthermore, while Stills accounted for half the output of Broyles (48.4%) last year, Juaquin was at 61.5% and 51% of the leading receiver of that respective year's (Kelly's) totals, so his totals were on more even footing with his receiving peers at the time than Kenny was this past year.

Granted, Ryan Broyles is the most productive receiver to play here pretty much ever, but people are seriously underrating how productive the Johnson-Iglesias combo was. Especially if we're talking the last 2 years of Manny/Iggy versus this past year of Broyles/Stills. Let's hold off on the coronation for a year here.

JLEW1818
1/28/2011, 04:35 PM
Manny and Iggy were basically each 3-4 year starters.

Stills had a great first year, but let's see how he reacts to success. Besides, I was the one obsessed with him.

It seems to me people forget quickly based on what they currently have in front of them. Honest to God, fans on this board will tell you Jones is better than Bradford.

I'd still take Bradford over Jones. And
Clayton over Broyles.

bigfatjerk
1/28/2011, 04:40 PM
I think the pair to compare it to is Jones-Clayton. And it may be better than that duo.

roy22forheisman
1/28/2011, 04:47 PM
easiley better whithout a question broyles is one of the best in the nation and stills is the best freshman oklahoma wide out yet

oubose
1/28/2011, 07:00 PM
I still dream of those days watch'n Iglesias-Manny. I'm about to cry

yankee
1/28/2011, 07:02 PM
What about Justin McCay next year? Will he be in the mix?

All I've heard is that he's got a LONG way to go...Very raw, and needs to focus...I doubt he's in the mix, but maybe he has a great spring? We'll see...A WR lineup of Broyles/Stills/Miller/Franks is S-C-A-R-Y. I don't see him taking one of those guys' places unless injuries strike.

sperry
1/28/2011, 07:05 PM
Fixed. Landry's far closer to Sam than either Rhett or Paul were to Landry.

Even so, Juaquin's percentage of the entire receiving yards his first 2 years were 14% and 19%, respectively. Kenny Stills this year came in at 16.4%, with a vastly better QB. Seems like that's fairly even to me, and both would have been considered the "second option" in that time frame, so it's not like there's a priority issue.

Furthermore, while Stills accounted for half the output of Broyles (48.4%) last year, Juaquin was at 61.5% and 51% of the leading receiver of that respective year's (Kelly's) totals, so his totals were on more even footing with his receiving peers at the time than Kenny was this past year.

Granted, Ryan Broyles is the most productive receiver to play here pretty much ever, but people are seriously underrating how productive the Johnson-Iglesias combo was. Especially if we're talking the last 2 years of Manny/Iggy versus this past year of Broyles/Stills. Let's hold off on the coronation for a year here.

The fact that they had Bomar and Thompson throwing to them those seasons is why I'm willing to excuse the fact that they weren't particularly productive in those years. And there is a large gap between all 4 of those quarterbacks.

You have:

Rhett Bomar- Bad quarterback (at least as a freshman)
Paul Thompson- Mediocre quarterback
Landry Jones- Very good quarterback
Sam Bradford- top 5 greatest passing quarterbacks of all time (in college of course).

Igleisias and Johnson were good receivers, but they were not elite. Broyles is going to end his career with the most receptions in Division 1 history, and if he has another year like 2010, will also end with the most yards in Division 1 history. Stills is probably the most talented receiver we've had under Stoops, and he produced as a true freshman, too.

yankee
1/28/2011, 07:05 PM

+1

I haven't forgotten what Manny and Iggy did, and how they were good and all. IMO, I'd just take Broyles/Stills...Can't go wrong with either combo.

mightysooner
1/28/2011, 07:27 PM

x2

Okie35
1/29/2011, 01:11 AM

This...

Okie35
1/29/2011, 01:12 AM
Manny and Iggy were basically each 3-4 year starters.

Stills had a great first year, but let's see how he reacts to success. Besides, I was the one obsessed with him.

It seems to me people forget quickly based on what they currently have in front of them. Honest to God, fans on this board will tell you Jones is better than Bradford.

I'd still take Bradford over Jones. And
Clayton over Broyles.

Interesting... I think I'd take Broyles I love Clayton as a player though.

JLEW1818
1/29/2011, 12:12 PM
nothing against Broyles at all. Imagine Mark Clayton having a 4 year career with Bradford and Jones as QB..... with this "new" offense, that we now run

JLEW1818
1/29/2011, 12:14 PM
The fact that they had Bomar and Thompson throwing to them those seasons is why I'm willing to excuse the fact that they weren't particularly productive in those years. And there is a large gap between all 4 of those quarterbacks.

You have:

Rhett Bomar- Bad quarterback (at least as a freshman)
Paul Thompson- Mediocre quarterback
Landry Jones- Very good quarterback
Sam Bradford- top 5 greatest passing quarterbacks of all time (in college of course).

Igleisias and Johnson were good receivers, but they were not elite. Broyles is going to end his career with the most receptions in Division 1 history, and if he has another year like 2010, will also end with the most yards in Division 1 history. Stills is probably the most talented receiver we've had under Stoops, and he produced as a true freshman, too.

I thought that losing Iggy and Manny wouldn't matter in 2009. Most wrong i have been, ever. Yes the oline sucked in 2009, but besides Broyles, the WR's were the worst under Stoops.

adoniijahsooner
1/29/2011, 02:44 PM
[/B]

I thought that losing Iggy and Manny wouldn't matter in 2009. Most wrong i have been, ever. Yes the oline sucked in 2009, but besides Broyles, the WR's were the worst under Stoops.

"Bama is unreal, best team I've seen in a years..."

Sooner_Tuf
1/29/2011, 02:50 PM
C'mon man we're pretty lose with our grammer hear else we might loose more posters!

uphauling

JLEW1818
1/29/2011, 03:12 PM
"Bama is unreal, best team I've seen in a years..."

last years Bama team at their "best" was the best team in the nation... kinda like the 2003 sooners.

Auburn won so they are the best ... no argument

but thinking that Manny and Iggy wouldn't matter, ha. i deserve neg for that for sure

adoniijahsooner
1/29/2011, 03:15 PM
last years Bama team at their "best" was the best team in the nation... kinda like the 2003 sooners.

Auburn won so they are the best ... no argument

but thinking that Manny and Iggy wouldn't matter, ha. i deserve neg for that for sure

i agree with this

JLEW1818
1/29/2011, 03:29 PM
the Arky over Bama pick looked good at half time

:D

meoveryouxinfinity
1/30/2011, 02:25 PM
your mom looked good at half time

:D

fify