PDA

View Full Version : Imagine if............. played for Stoops

stoopified
1/27/2011, 12:27 PM
I was thinking about how good Joe Washington would have been in the Stoops offensive system. Giving how Lil Joe did in the NFL as a runner /reciever I think it is obvious he would have flourished.I think he could have had around 75 receptions ayear for 500 + yards a season, 200 rushes a year for 1000 + .I think Pruitt would have had similar numbers in this offense.What brought this up was a conversation I had with a friend about what would have happened if Parker had stayed at OU when Bob took over. I think Parker would have gotten about 1200 yards rushing(on proably about 180 carries as Leach was so run phobic), in the pass game I think De'mond would have had at least 50 catches and another 350-400 yards.

The only qb I could picture from the Wishbone days being able to play in this system is JC Watts.I could see him easily passing for 3,000 yds in a season.I have no idea how much he would have been allowed to run under Stoops. Given that it has basically been a policy for Stoops' qbs not to run, I'm guessing he would have been limited to a little scrambling.

On defense I would ltowach Bosworth playing MLB for Venables,I think his numbers would have been mind-boggling(150+ tackles in a year).I would also love to see OU's DE combo of Darrell Reed and Troy Johnson on the edge charging theqb.

It goes without saying I would love to see Von Schaman or or either Tim or RD Lashar kicking for Bob's boys.

Jason Alexander
1/27/2011, 12:43 PM
Aikman

swardboy
1/27/2011, 12:50 PM
^ Agree

usaosooner
1/27/2011, 12:55 PM
Curtis Lofton stayed his Senior year.....

sooner59
1/27/2011, 01:06 PM

Don't do it....it will only depress you.

BoulderSooner79
1/27/2011, 01:14 PM
Aikman was Barry's attempt to move away from the 'bone and go to an 'I' back with a passing QB. So I wouldn't really count him as a wishbone QB - at least not intended.

Jack Mildren was a passing QB in HS and got caught in the transition to the bone. What an amazing guy to flourish as an option QB, but i suspect he would have done okay in our current spread too.

Jason Alexander
1/27/2011, 01:19 PM
Aikman was Barry's attempt to move away from the 'bone and go to an 'I' back with a passing QB. So I wouldn't really count him as a wishbone QB - at least not intended.

Did someone say he was?

tcrb
1/27/2011, 01:23 PM
Any of those guys would have flourished in any system....they were AA class athletes.

BoulderSooner79
1/27/2011, 01:24 PM
Did someone say he was?

The original observation was "QB from the wishbone days"

stoops the eternal pimp
1/27/2011, 01:38 PM
Kelly Gregg, Martin Chase, DeMond Parker

2121Sooner
1/27/2011, 01:43 PM
Bomar?

Mad Dog Madsen
1/27/2011, 02:33 PM
Great thread! :rolleyes:

http://www.gsle.org/news/articles/images/ImagineIfLogo_000.jpg

King Crimson
1/27/2011, 02:37 PM
Parker was better than Michael Rose, tell you that much. and so was Quentin Griffin. who we burned a redshirt.

i don't worry too much about Aikman.....we win the MNC the year he gets hurt, anyway. can't ask for more than that, really.

ahmed kabba?

King Crimson
1/27/2011, 02:41 PM
anyway the freakiest of freakish DE's in the Okie 5-2 was Kevin Murphy. guy was "rediculous".

SoCaliSooner
1/27/2011, 02:48 PM
Adrian Peterson.

Man, that guy could win some national championships and Heisman(s), especially with Jason White at QB and that receiving corps...along with that O-line.

fadada1
1/27/2011, 02:54 PM
parker, no doubt.

joe bowden with mike stoops still at DC. he might have killed someone.

Jason Alexander
1/27/2011, 03:52 PM
i don't worry too much about Aikman.....we win the MNC the year he gets hurt, anyway. can't ask for more than that, really.
Yeah, but OU could have won 4 MNC's in a row! In fact, since national championships are mythical anyway, we might as well claim championships in 85,86,87 and 88.

And why stop there?

soonersam
1/27/2011, 03:59 PM
Demond Parker!!

Soonerfan88
1/27/2011, 05:09 PM
Tinker Owens

Jack Mildren

sooner59
1/27/2011, 05:27 PM
What if....Bob Stoops coached....Bob Stoops???

Bob Stoops becomes All-American and plays in the NFL, then comes back to OU to replace Bob Stoops!

WOAH! :eek:

Jason Alexander
1/27/2011, 05:41 PM
What if....Bob Stoops coached....Bob Stoops???

Bob Stoops becomes All-American and plays in the NFL, then comes back to OU to replace Bob Stoops!

WOAH! :eek:
If the multiverse theory is true, then that just happened.

sooner59
1/27/2011, 06:04 PM
http://www.gifbin.com/bin/1238157980_scanners_-_head_explosion.gif

bent rider
1/27/2011, 06:12 PM
Keanu Reeves.
He'd probably be resigned to being a bench warmer.

Osagecrimson
1/27/2011, 06:17 PM
kelly phelps

AlboSooner
1/27/2011, 06:38 PM
Adrian Peterson.

Man, that guy could win some national championships and Heisman(s), especially with Jason White at QB and that receiving corps...along with that O-line.

good point. that team was full of NFL guys

tcrb
1/27/2011, 07:43 PM
Ditka

SoonerinSouthlake
1/27/2011, 09:00 PM
Adrian Peterson.

I wish SoCaliSooner played for Stoops....Bob seems to punish the really stupid players

SoCaliSooner would have to do BearCrawls until he was dead and then could no longer make comments on this board that are the equivelent of "have you seen my baseball"

SoCaliSooner
1/27/2011, 09:12 PM
I wish SoCaliSooner played for Stoops....Bob seems to punish the really stupid players

SoCaliSooner would have to do BearCrawls until he was dead and then could no longer make comments on this board that are the equivelent of "have you seen my baseball"

I just have to laugh when people start threads about how if stoops got _______ they would have been much better in their college career or OU would have won multiple national championships. Stoops had arguably the best player in the NFL on his roster and got his butt handed to him in bowl games during those seasons. AD never won a heisman or national championship...

prrriiide
1/27/2011, 09:25 PM
Agree w/Tinker Owens. Also Keith Jackson would have been even more amazing. On defense, I'd have to go with the Shoate/Cumby duo at LB and the Great Wall of Selmon on the DL, although you'd be hard-pressed to see any of those 5 do any better then they did under Switzer. I think Gaddis would have gone from great RB to Legend status.

Hell, most of the QBs from the Dark Days between The King and Stoops would have been really good to outstanding - Cale Gundy did pretty well as a QB, Garrick McGee was dealt a 3-9 off-suit, Eric Moore didn't get a coherent game plan, and Justin Fuente just got rogered. I think any of them would have done at least as well as ENA with Leach/Mangino/Long/Heupel as a QB coach and some quality in the HC & OC slots.

King Crimson
1/27/2011, 10:07 PM
Shoate/Cumby duo at LB

Shoate/Elrod or Hunt/Cumby.

about 7 years apart, yo.

CarolinaSoonerFan
1/27/2011, 10:18 PM
Keith Jackson

jkjsooner
1/27/2011, 11:15 PM
I would have loved to see Cale Gundy under Stoops' system. Gibbs and Coker rarely let Gundy do his thing. Gundy did have his big games (NU, A&M, and Virginia come to mind) but how can we forget the horribly conservative gameplans in the other Texas games?

That's a big difference between Gibbs and Stoops. Both were brilliant defensive guys. Gibbs took the philosophy that the offense needs to be just conservative enough to not lose the game. Stoops came in and said that you can't win in today's game without scoring a lot of points.

LiveLaughLove
1/27/2011, 11:24 PM
Mildren could have ran this offense. He was a very good passing qb in high school, and pretty good at OU.

I think Steve Davis could have probably done so also, just because he was such a winner. He would have found a way to be great. The great ones usually do.

jkjsooner
1/27/2011, 11:26 PM
AD never won a heisman or national championship...

Geez, you're a hater for sure. AD would have won the Heisman as a freshman had it not been for the anti-freshman bias. (Same with Fitzgerald the year White won it.) He did have the most outstanding year that year.

AD was on his way to running away with the Heisman his last year before his injury. It was almost to the point where they were ready to go ahead and give it to him. Troy Smith and everyone else were hardly on the radar until AD went down with the injury.

Injuries happen but it's absurd to say that Billy Sims or Joe Washington wouldn't have dominated under Stoops just because anti-freshman bias and some untimely injuries derailed AD's Heisman hopes.

KABOOKIE
1/27/2011, 11:30 PM
ahmed kabba?

He practiced for Stoops. Well sort of.

Salt City Sooner
1/27/2011, 11:45 PM
Geez, you're a hater for sure. AD would have won the Heisman as a freshman had it not been for the anti-freshman bias. (Same with Fitzgerald the year White won it.) He did have the most outstanding year that year.

AD was on his way to running away with the Heisman his last year before his injury. It was almost to the point where they were ready to go ahead and give it to him. Troy Smith and everyone else were hardly on the radar until AD went down with the injury.

Injuries happen but it's absurd to say that Billy Sims or Joe Washington wouldn't have dominated under Stoops just because anti-freshman bias and some untimely injuries derailed AD's Heisman hopes.
AD had more of a problem with White digging into his point total than an anti-freshman bias. He only had 40 more total points than J-Dub, while Leinart's teammate (Bush) did far less damage to his total:

http://www.heisman.com/winners/m-leinart04.php

As for Fitzgerald, 2 things:

1. He was a soph. when White won his Heisman.

2. He did have a great season, but he did the vast majority of his damage against very mediocre pass defenses. Miami was the only pass D with a pulse that he played that year & he ended that game with 3 catches for 26 yards & one cosmetic TD late in the 4th with Miami up 3 TD's. Other than the 'canes, the highest pass efficiency D that he faced was 44th ranked Virginia in their bowl game.

Soonersince57
1/28/2011, 09:18 AM
I think Switzer's players did just fine with Switzer.

Jason Alexander
1/28/2011, 09:38 AM
Toby Keith

OUmillenium
1/28/2011, 09:48 AM
Demond Parker immediately came to mind

stoopified
1/28/2011, 09:49 AM
anyway the freakiest of freakish DE's in the Okie 5-2 was Kevin Murphy. guy was "rediculous". Yeah I can't believe I forgot him.Tony Casillas,Dante Jones all come to mind as well as Rick Bryan,Reggie Kinlaw.

Not sure but I don't think Mildren would have made it at qb for Stoops,maybe at safety.

stoopified
1/28/2011, 09:55 AM
Going wwwwaaaaayyyy back it occurred to me that Tommy McDonald would have been awesome under Stoops. He proved to be a capable runner at OU and was a HOF WR in the NFL so I think he would have put up gaudy numbers in the Shotbone.

boomermagic
1/28/2011, 11:31 AM
Parker was better than Michael Rose, tell you that much. and so was Quentin Griffin. who we burned a redshirt.

ahmed kabba?

EXACTLY !

texaspokieokie
1/28/2011, 11:48 AM
while we're day dreaming; how bout earl campbell ??

TMcGee86
1/28/2011, 12:41 PM

or if Sam and Gresh played their last year.

with that defense...
:(

stoopified
1/28/2011, 01:04 PM
while we're day dreaming; how bout earl campbell ??Why wouldanyone daydream about a Whorn? Yuck.

OUEngr1990
1/28/2011, 02:21 PM
How about Marcus Dupree?

bent rider
1/28/2011, 03:31 PM
Toby Keith

Kings of Leon

texaspokieokie
1/28/2011, 03:37 PM
Why wouldanyone daydream about a Whorn? Yuck.

cause he was one of the very best, & almost came to OU.

how bout Billy Vessels ??

texaspokieokie
1/28/2011, 03:38 PM
how bout Joe Don Looney ???

Mad Dog Madsen
1/28/2011, 03:57 PM
Yeah, since we're dreaming such big "what if's?" How bout this guy???

http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/riptide/tim_tebow_(2).jpg

http://cdn.faniq.com/images/blog/b3e5ca9f48a1dd7270174ee1f914021e.jpg

http://blog.newsok.com/bamsblog/files/2009/01/tim-tebow-and-sam-bradford.jpg

KantoSooner
1/28/2011, 04:25 PM
I would have gone into hiding from the shame

85sooners
1/28/2011, 04:33 PM
I just have to laugh when people start threads about how if stoops got _______ they would have been much better in their college career or OU would have won multiple national championships. Stoops had arguably the best player in the NFL on his roster and got his butt handed to him in bowl games during those seasons. AD never won a heisman or national championship... go phuck yourself!

stoopified
1/28/2011, 04:43 PM
how bout Joe Don Looney ??? No pUNKS ALLOWED

texaspokieokie
1/28/2011, 05:27 PM
it's my phantasy.

Cornfed
1/28/2011, 06:04 PM

The 2008 season would have been completely different, no loss to TX, no loss to Florida. A big pressence there in the middle would have given Tebow som nice hits.

Jason Alexander
1/28/2011, 08:34 PM
You can torture yourself more and ask what if Malcolm Kelly also stayed.

SoonerDomiNation
1/29/2011, 06:58 PM
The BOZ

VMG
1/30/2011, 10:19 AM
Billy Brooks. Tinker was sneaky fast, great route runner, phenomenal concentration, great hands. Billy was bigger, stronger, faster.

Sooner Cal
1/30/2011, 01:33 PM

Jack Mildren was a passing QB in HS and got caught in the transition to the bone. What an amazing guy to flourish as an option QB, but i suspect he would have done okay in our current spread too.

This kind of comment comes up all the time. Guys, Jack couldn't pass worth a lick. We through out the veer in 1970 because Jack couldn't hit Everett Marshal on a simple swing pass. Jack was perfect for the wishbone and he didn't get caught up in the transition, he was the reason for the change.

With the exception of Aikman, Wishbone Qb's at OU had elevated passing stats because defenses focused on stopping the option which was as big a threat to go the distance as a pass. Thus our TE and WR often faced man to man coverage. The TE had some long plays because the often got behind the coverage and ran under the pass.

BoulderSooner79
1/30/2011, 02:25 PM
This kind of comment comes up all the time. Guys, Jack couldn't pass worth a lick. We through out the veer in 1970 because Jack couldn't hit Everett Marshal on a simple swing pass. Jack was perfect for the wishbone and he didn't get caught up in the transition, he was the reason for the change.

With the exception of Aikman, Wishbone Qb's at OU had elevated passing stats because defenses focused on stopping the option which was as big a threat to go the distance as a pass. Thus our TE and WR often faced man to man coverage. The TE had some long plays because the often got behind the coverage and ran under the pass.

Maybe Jack couldn't pass, but he was recruited to because of what he did in HS. As we all know, it doesn't always translate to the next level. We switched to the bone because it was the current fad just as when the spread was when it was new a few years back. And I'm sure the fact that the horns were kicking us with it was a factor too. I doubt many of the bone QBs would have been effective passing QBs, but it's hard to tell. The QB gets winded in a true run-option offense and takes too many hits to maintain his passing mechanics and footwork.