PDA

View Full Version : So, my daughter wants to go on a trip

soonerbrat
1/27/2011, 11:25 AM
for Spring Break. someplace beachy, she says. I will be chaperoning her and probably 2-3 friends. any recommendations that won't cost me a million bajillion dollars?

The
1/27/2011, 11:27 AM
LSD.

soonerbrat
1/27/2011, 11:28 AM
Vacation, moran. not everything has to do with drugs.

My Opinion Matters
1/27/2011, 11:28 AM
The Arkansas River. You're welcome!

olevetonahill
1/27/2011, 11:29 AM
I recommend staying the hell away from Aruba.,;)

NormanPride
1/27/2011, 11:34 AM
Port Aransas.

The
1/27/2011, 11:36 AM
My place is beachy.

Flagstaffsooner
1/27/2011, 11:38 AM
Biloxi

SunnySooner
1/27/2011, 11:39 AM
Brat, check out VRBO.com, we've used them a few times, always had a great experience. You can get a vacation house way cheaper than a hotel, and there's a ton of them right on the beach, no car needed. Plus, there's a kitchen, so you can eat at home some, and save $$ on all the restaurant meals. We've gotten so spoiled with having a whole house, we don't even look at hotels unless it's only for a couple nights.

The FL panhandle beaches are beautiful, as are the ones in the Miami area, but the panhandle is cheaper. The site has houses available all over the country. Good luck, and have fun!!

Boomer.....
1/27/2011, 11:40 AM
Beavers Bend

NormanPride
1/27/2011, 11:42 AM
How far are you willing to drive/fly them? Port A is on the Texas coast, and it's relatively uncrowded at that time. There will be young folk every where, but not so much that you can't keep an eye on them.

The
1/27/2011, 11:42 AM
Beavers Bend

Yes they do.

olevetonahill
1/27/2011, 11:44 AM
You must post a Vid when ya get back
Ya know, a Girls gone wild sorta thing :hot:

soonerbrat
1/27/2011, 11:53 AM
You must post a Vid when ya get back
Ya know, a Girls gone wild sorta thing :hot:

not including my daughter or her friends, right?

olevetonahill
1/27/2011, 12:00 PM
not including my daughter or her friends, right?

Course not, Just YOU :hot:

OUthunder
1/27/2011, 12:05 PM
for Spring Break. someplace beachy, she says. I will be chaperoning her and probably 2-3 friends. any recommendations that won't cost me a million bajillion dollars?

What are there ages?

Boomer.....
1/27/2011, 12:07 PM
What are there ages?

:les: Perv!!!

Soonerfan88
1/27/2011, 12:07 PM
Port Aransas.

This was my first thought. Years ago, it's where I went for Spring Break a couple of times. We always rented a house and had a great time.

TUSooner
1/27/2011, 12:10 PM
The Florida panhandle really cannot be beat. I'm a major life-long fan of Pensacola Beach. I want to go there right now. I understand P'cola may not be regarded as chi-chi enough or exciting enough for some sophomoric herd-followers. But I disagree. It's kinda laid-back but not dull, and it's still possible to relax there. And it's not too pricey. The Flora-Bama coast to the west is mostly crowded high-rise condos (but not yet completely, I think). I hated riding a crowded elevator to get to the beach. Destin & Ft Walton to the east are nice but also seem a bit too crowded & pricey for me, and they're a bit farther from P'Cola by road than they look on a map.

I agree that VRBO or Paradise Beach Homes are good places to start looking.
A house or townhouse >>>>>>>>>>>>> condo/hotel room if you are staying more than a night or 2.

Oh yeah, I like Padre Island but haven't been there since I was much younger. Florida's white beaches are better, IMHO

OUthunder
1/27/2011, 12:15 PM
The Florida panhandle really cannot be beat. I'm a major life-long fan of Pensacola Beach. I want to go there right now. I understand P'cola may not be regarded as chi-chi enough or exciting enough for some sophomoric herd-followers. But I disagree. It's kinda laid-back but not dull, and it's still possible to relax there. And it's not too pricey. The Flora-Bama coast to the west is mostly crowded high-rise condos (but not yet completely, I think). I hated riding a crowded elevator to get to the beach. Destin & Ft Walton to the east are nice but also seem a bit too crowded & pricey for me, and they're a bit farther from P'Cola by road than they look on a map.

A house or townhouse >>>>>>>>>>>>> condo/hotel room if you are staying more than a night or 2.

Oh yeah, I like Padre Island but haven't been there since I was much younger. Florida's white beaches are better, IMHO

+1

saucysoonergal
1/27/2011, 12:18 PM
If you make it to Clearwater Beach you can also go to Busch Gardens and/or Disney World and/or Universal Studios.

NormanPride
1/27/2011, 12:27 PM
C'mon, brat, give us some more info to work with.

soonerbrat
1/27/2011, 02:21 PM
my daughter just turned 18, her friends will be 17 or 18. Kinda wanting an all inclusive resort so we dont' have to worry about going anywhere or spending extra money on food. She wants to go to Mexico.

NormanPride
1/27/2011, 02:28 PM
Well hell, if you're gonna be all Bruce on us why not go to Jamaica? ;)

We went to Cozumel back in the day, and there was a nice little resort called Capitan Lafitte I believe. It's more pricey now, but it was cheap as heck back then. You get a little one room house right on the beach, and there were main buildings where they served food. It was wonderful, and they had deals with local places to promote sight seeing stuff like snorkeling or shopping.

WichitaSooner
1/27/2011, 02:38 PM
My water proof camera and I want to go... that camera is such a pervert though... But, I'll keep him under control.

NormanPride
1/27/2011, 02:41 PM
There was a place next door as well that was literally just a bunch of grass huts with hammocks and bug screens. My grandmother stayed there and loved it. I was envious.

Breadburner
1/27/2011, 03:02 PM
Port of Catoosa....

saucysoonergal
1/27/2011, 03:04 PM
If you go to the Port of Muskogee they have a real WWII submarine.

C&CDean
1/27/2011, 03:09 PM
my daughter just turned 18, her friends will be 17 or 18. Kinda wanting an all inclusive resort so we dont' have to worry about going anywhere or spending extra money on food. She wants to go to Mexico.

Just find some cheap dive in Cancun. The girls will think it's groovy.

Now if you want my real opinion, it is this:

NEVER do an all-inclusive unless you plan to do nothing but sit your *** in a chair by the pool or beach right there at the hotel. If you have any plans of going out and seeing the sights, all-inclusives suck. Say you find some really cool place and you go "dang, it's lunchtime, do we go back?" No, you're gonna spend some extra $$ so you can continue your good time. All-inclusives are for lazy asses who could save a buttload of money by just going to some nice hotel stateside and lay by the pool.

Another thing, after a couple days of eating at the hog trough buffets they put out you'll get really tired of the same old **** and some old people you'll see every day.

If I was hauling 3 kids somewhere I'd probably do an all-inclusive for them, and then I'd leave their butts there and go enjoy myself.

The
1/27/2011, 03:10 PM
I go to HERE (http://www.hotelhermitagemontecarlo.com/)at least once a year to relax.

My Opinion Matters
1/27/2011, 03:11 PM
Hedonism.

1890MilesToNorman
1/27/2011, 03:24 PM
Tune into MTV and save a bundle! Nothing good comes from spring break at the beach, except maybe a police record that ain't so good.

Fraggle145
1/27/2011, 03:46 PM
Port Aransas.

This.

soonerbrat
1/27/2011, 03:49 PM
Just find some cheap dive in Cancun. The girls will think it's groovy.

Now if you want my real opinion, it is this:

NEVER do an all-inclusive unless you plan to do nothing but sit your *** in a chair by the pool or beach right there at the hotel. If you have any plans of going out and seeing the sights, all-inclusives suck. Say you find some really cool place and you go "dang, it's lunchtime, do we go back?" No, you're gonna spend some extra $$ so you can continue your good time. All-inclusives are for lazy asses who could save a buttload of money by just going to some nice hotel stateside and lay by the pool.

Another thing, after a couple days of eating at the hog trough buffets they put out you'll get really tired of the same old **** and some old people you'll see every day.

If I was hauling 3 kids somewhere I'd probably do an all-inclusive for them, and then I'd leave their butts there and go enjoy myself.

that, my dear sir, is the plan.

i stayed on an all inclusive resort before and they had 2 pools, one for adults, one for kids, beach volleyball, kayaking, snorkeling, tennis courts, a bar ihe pool and nightly entertainment. I might be willing to pay for one excursion for my kid and her friends could pay their own...i took a horseback riding trip and a booze cruise and they weren't that expensive.

C&CDean
1/27/2011, 03:50 PM
that, my dear sir, is the plan.

Well then, my dear lady, you are GOLDEN. Have fun!

2121Sooner
1/27/2011, 04:10 PM
Do something in San Francisco and then you can get some chocolate yourself and stop having to beg Dean.

Problem solved.

soonerbrat
1/27/2011, 04:23 PM
Do something in San Francisco and then you can get some chocolate yourself and stop having to beg Dean.

Problem solved.

there's no nice warm beach in san francisco. it's chilly there in march.

C&CDean
1/27/2011, 04:25 PM
there's no nice warm beach in san francisco. it's chilly there in march.

It's chilly there in July too. San Fran is not the place to go to hang on the beach unless you wanna wear sweatpants and a jacket.

3rdgensooner
1/27/2011, 04:31 PM
It's chilly there in July too. San Fran is not the place to go to hang on the beach unless you wanna wear sweatpants and a jacket.
The coldest winter I ever spent was summer in San Francisco. ~ Mark Twain

C&CDean
1/27/2011, 04:33 PM

Yep.

I went to a Giants game at the old Candlestick one July in a t-shirt and shorts. By the 4th inning I had to leave. The sun started going down and it was COLD. Everybody in the place was wearing parkas with the 49er logo on them.

2121Sooner
1/27/2011, 04:33 PM

Booknerd

3rdgensooner
1/27/2011, 04:34 PM
BooknerdYou know you like it.

Skysooner
1/27/2011, 04:36 PM
Florida Panhandle for sure. Still if you want something less expensive, Port Aransas or South Padre before Spring Break isn't bad. Go to homeaway.com or vacationrentals.com for better deals though so you don't have to stay in a hotel room.

unbiasedtruth
1/27/2011, 04:36 PM
Lake Stanley Draper.....

stoopified
1/27/2011, 05:04 PM
Kaw Lake Beach

Soonerfan88
1/27/2011, 08:48 PM
I really wouldn't recommend Mexico right now. You might not here too much in the news, but the violence is invading the tourist areas more each month. It's not just about how safe it is at the resort, you still have to worry about getting there and back and also any outside excursions. If you want to leave the states, try the Caribbean instead.

SoCaliSooner
1/27/2011, 08:51 PM
Hermosa Beach...or Huntington Beach. I could show them around...

bluedogok
1/27/2011, 10:20 PM
We go to Port A a few times a year, I would love to have a place down there.

Last year my sister and nephew came down from OKC to Austin for Spring Break and we headed over to Galveston for the last few days. It wasn't too bad as many were already headed back home.

A Sooner in Texas
1/28/2011, 12:51 AM
We go to Port A a few times a year, I would love to have a place down there.

Last year my sister and nephew came down from OKC to Austin for Spring Break and we headed over to Galveston for the last few days. It wasn't too bad as many were already headed back home.

Galveston's great if you don't mind nasty looking beaches. There's no point in even going to the beach there. It's brown and so is the water. Not a bad seaside town, but it's still recovering from Hurricane Ike. Honestly, it's just not a place teenage girls are going to enjoy.

TUSooner
1/28/2011, 04:47 PM
I go to HERE (http://www.hotelhermitagemontecarlo.com/)at least once a year to relax.

Must...not....click......

:D

texaspokieokie
1/28/2011, 05:52 PM
i like jamaica & i like all-inclusive.

i got tired of mexico a long time ago. kinda dangerous now, but i liked acapulco.

bluedogok
1/28/2011, 09:50 PM
Galveston's great if you don't mind nasty looking beaches. There's no point in even going to the beach there. It's brown and so is the water. Not a bad seaside town, but it's still recovering from Hurricane Ike. Honestly, it's just not a place teenage girls are going to enjoy.
There was still a decent crowd at the end of spring break week when we were there. We were going to go to Port A but my nephew was on a space kick at the time (he will be 8 next month) so we went to Johnson Space Center on the way.

Port A is our regular summer weekend beach destination, not bad for only being 3-4 hours away. I wouldn't mind living there but I guess the north shore of Lake Travis will have to do.

A Sooner in Texas
1/28/2011, 09:54 PM
There was still a decent crowd at the end of spring break week when we were there. We were going to go to Port A but my nephew was on a space kick at the time (he will be 8 next month) so we went to Johnson Space Center on the way.

Port A is our regular summer weekend beach destination, not bad for only being 3-4 hours away. I wouldn't mind living there but I guess the north shore of Lake Travis will have to do.

I tend to make do with driving by Lake Conroe once or twice a month. :D

salth2o
1/28/2011, 10:09 PM

Dude...segregation ended several years ago!

Whatcha got against teh Messican beaches?

swardboy
1/29/2011, 07:35 PM
Just say "no".

Williesan
1/29/2011, 11:58 PM

Port A is our summer getaway too. Lots of places to stay there that are cheap, and overall, it's not as high paced and definitely not geared as much towards the drunk college spring breakers either (like South Padre). You won't find many "right on the beach" places to stay, but since you can drive to within yards of the shore (with a permit) you can find good deals for places that are off the beaten path.

Williesan

GrapevineSooner
1/30/2011, 10:34 AM
I hear Antarctica is really nice this time of year.

soonerbrat
1/30/2011, 11:40 AM
we've decided to wait and go on a trip after graduation.

olevetonahill
1/30/2011, 11:47 AM

But yer still gonna post a vid of you aint ya?

bluedogok
1/30/2011, 01:02 PM
I hear Antarctica is really nice this time of year.
A friend of mine is flying out of there this weekend and spending a week riding motorcycle around New Zealand before heading back to Denver. He said that for him to work there during the "winter season" would require a whole 'nother tax bracket. He says that it's bad enough that it gets to -50F during the "summer".

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
1/30/2011, 06:09 PM
South Padre Island is a thoght.

soonerbrat
1/30/2011, 10:40 PM
But yer still gonna post a vid of you aint ya?

i think there are enough videos of me floating around on the innerwebs.

swardboy
1/31/2011, 07:29 AM

BRILLIANT !!!!

87sooner
1/31/2011, 10:23 AM

florida panhandle beaches are definitely the best in the country...
but depending on the timing of your spring break....it may be too chilly there to enjoy the beach/water...
spring break in oklahoma is mid march.....mid march in the florida panhandle is not usually beach weather...

oudavid1
1/31/2011, 10:31 AM
Can i come, im 18.

You can trust me :D

(he comes my girlfriend)

never mind.

soonerbrat
1/31/2011, 11:30 AM
NO BOYS! She already asked me if her dumb boyfriend could go.

olevetonahill
1/31/2011, 11:37 AM
i think there are enough videos of me floating around on the innerwebs.

Linkage?:D ;)

oudavid1
1/31/2011, 12:16 PM

my girlfriend is always trying to get me to go on trips with her family(who loves me)

Im to broke to travel right now.

Sure i could have Daddy pay for it.

But im not that big of a dbag.

saucysoonergal
1/31/2011, 12:45 PM
my girlfriend is always trying to get me to go on trips with her family(who loves me)

Im to broke to travel right now.

Sure i could have Daddy pay for it.

But im not that big of a dbag.

Really, don't underestimate yourself.

;)

SOONER STEAKER
1/31/2011, 12:46 PM
One of those beaches in Alabama. They lost so much money due to oil spillage, they are begging for your business. Great deals are available for Spring Break.

NormanPride
1/31/2011, 12:47 PM
And the suntan oil is completely free!

OUthunder
1/31/2011, 12:52 PM
mushrooms are cheap.

SoCaliSooner
1/31/2011, 12:58 PM
One of those beaches in Alabama. They lost so much money due to oil spillage, they are begging for your business. Great deals are available for Spring Break.

I heard on the news that those beaches will be ruined for decades because of that evil oil.

unbiasedtruth
1/31/2011, 01:16 PM

damn.... that means no baking will be done on this trip except for skin and brain cells.....

soonerbrat
1/31/2011, 02:40 PM
Linkage?:D ;)

no link. i'm sure you've already seen it.

badger
1/31/2011, 02:48 PM
After graduation, eh? You should base the trip destination based on where she's headed and what her grades/class rank were:

Valedictorian, straight A's Harvard bound: The most expensive resort in the most luxurious beach in the whole d@mn world.

Straight F's, not graduating, planning to live in your basement instead of going to college: Get her a fish tank with a beach picture glued to the back. Also, no fish. Maybe a snail.